PDA

View Full Version : Pool Tables RFI

BJXDS
09-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Are there any serious pool players?

I am seriously considering a quality 9' pool table. Most likely a new Olhausen due to dealer support in my area.

I am looking for your feedback on pocket size, pro pockets vs league play size and or any other considerations you feel are important.

I honestly didn't realize there were so many options in pocket size, cushion angle and top rail size not to mention the various materials and styles of tables available.

jtcarm
09-12-2018, 12:49 PM
I spent WAY too much time in pool halls during my miss-spent youth.

I can’t tell you much technically about current tables, but, IIRC, “regulation” pool tables are 8’, snooker tables 9’. Anyway, snooker tables are longer and played with smaller balls (no giggling). Bar tables (coin op) are 7’.

Snooker tables usually have rounded pocket corners, which are quite unforgiving.

In my day we only recognized two pocket styles, tight or drop pockets, the latter being the most forgiving. Bar tables generally have drop pockets, the quicker the balls are off the table, the sooner the players have to pony up money to play another game.

If I were buying one for home, I’d want some tight-ass pockets because I’d be playing on it a lot. Drop pockets would lose their challenge quickly.

The action of the rails (table sides) is important to me. Does the ball jump off the rails, or tend to die? It needs to be consistent on all rails/angles.

If the table is good & level, try slow rolling some balls long distances from different positions/angles. They should roll straight.

It’s just like picking a gun: try shooting & see which one you like.