PDA

View Full Version : Recommend basic rifle setup

holmes168
09-09-2018, 02:42 PM
I don’t shoot my AR nearly enough- one of the main reason issue ammo cost.
Would be interested in investing in a basic .223 reloading set up.

Was curious as to what others are using or started out with.

mmc45414
09-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Single stage or progressive is the big choice. IMO you will never wish you didn't have a nice single stage press, so starting out with one would be good. A simple as possible is you need:
- A Press
- Dies
- Powder Measure
- Scale

Lee is a good way to start, most think RCBS and Hornady are a little better. Most of the manufacturers offer bundled setups, but you can probably build it around specific components.

It really is fun and not that hard.

ETA: Just to give you an idea:

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Breech-Challenger-Press/dp/B008F5H636/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1536531847&sr=8-15&keywords=lee+precision+reloading

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Digital-Reloading-Display/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536531847&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=lee+precision+reloading&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Reloading-Remington-Ultimate/dp/B00HDL9P0K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536531847&sr=8-3&keywords=lee+precision+reloading

LittleLebowski
09-09-2018, 05:34 PM
I’d go progressive if you’re feeding an AR for carbine classes. Dillon 550 or 650.

Turret if precision. The following is a suggestion, a balance of speed and precision. You can always go single stage for precision and/or to get your feet wet.

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Reloading-Turret-Press-Primer/dp/B000VNO2QO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1536532368&sr=8-12&keywords=turret+reloading+press

ranger
09-09-2018, 07:37 PM
I found a used Dillon 550 that I have set up for 223 reloading. I am loading 77 gr Nosler OTMs. If was shooting generic brass case 55 FMJ, I could not justify the cost of the reloading tools, components, or my time. Case prep is a pain for rifle.

holmes168
09-10-2018, 09:29 AM
I found a used Dillon 550 that I have set up for 223 reloading. I am loading 77 gr Nosler OTMs. If was shooting generic brass case 55 FMJ, I could not justify the cost of the reloading tools, components, or my time. Case prep is a pain for rifle.

Definitely wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Would I shoot more rifle if I had more rounds? Right now- I don’t buy them because they are expensive (not historically I’m sure, just more than I can afford). So I just don’t shoot AR much.
However- if reloading- shooting more AR and possibly grabbing an AK may make sense...???!!!

GuanoLoco
09-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Definitely wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Would I shoot more rifle if I had more rounds? Right now- I don’t buy them because they are expensive (not historically I’m sure, just more than I can afford). So I just don’t shoot AR much.
However- if reloading- shooting more AR and possibly grabbing an AK may make sense...???!!!

IMHO - If you aren't shooting a lot of 223, just buy it. I have a Mark 7/1050, 9mm and 223 conversions, an RT1200, and mostly stick to 9mm which I can load for well under $0.10 ea.

Small Rifle Primer - $0.03 +/-
Powder - $0.08 +/- (Usually about 25gr of a rifle powder per round)
55gr Blaster Bullet - $0.06 +/-
Processed brass (buy or make) +

So... $0.017+/-, + brass + a lot of labor + required equipment + labor-saving equipment

Factor in the cost of buying processed brass for starters or the price of unprocessed brass and plan carefully for brass prep:

Brass QC - depending on your source you may have a % of cases that need manual repair (dinged case necks) or that need to get tossed
Lube, Size, Clean lube.... a drag
An automated trimmer setup - I have tried hand-trimming, and drill-powered trimming (L.E.Wilson), and frankly it stunk in volume.
Crimped primer pockets? - Hand swaging, even with a Dillon SuperSwage 600 gets old fast

If you don't have a multi-stage auto-indexing press, case feeder and bullet feeder, add more time.

If you are reloading 9mm time-efficiently and cost-effectively, a reliable but budget AR-9/PCC will get you a lot of < 100 yard practice for cheap and just buy the 223.