PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for rifle: Powder measure?

CDR_Glock
09-08-2018, 10:19 PM
So I have a turret press that I’ll be using for reloading my rifle.

I’m torn amongst powder measures and automatic measures...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180909/37f276d312835232ae3d3023115e543a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180909/0a27a379deafdc079c5c542fdecd84e4.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180909/cdc18866827ca0f39188ae0c3a253eb3.png

I’m limited by my range distance of 250 yards.

Right now, I’m getting ready for my Suppressor to come. So I will be loading 300AAC, first. I’m shooting mainly from an AR pistol for it....

I have dies for 308, 300 AAC, 5.56 mm, 6.5 Grendel, and 7 mm-08. I’m good on my supplies for All, except 300 AAC.

Any experience or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hambo
09-09-2018, 05:56 AM
I started with an RCBS Uniflow and a single stage press. Later I added the micrometer adjustment and kept notes every time I set it for a different powder. That allows me to go back to a setting or make a close guess with a new powder. At some point after electronic measure/dispensers came out I got a RCBS Chargemaster and it has pretty much replaced the Uniflow for rifle cartridges. People tell you that electronics are slow to dispense, but I'm seating a bullet while it's pouring powder, so it makes me more efficient. It's great for loading a few test rounds because there's no dicking around resetting and weighing.

The down side is that it's electronic, and it will eventually die, whereas my Uniflow has been working for thirty years.

Redhat
09-09-2018, 09:55 AM
I use the original Lee Perfect Powder Measure for extruded (stick) type powders and it works very well. Once you understand the measuring marks and how to set it, it is pretty repeatable BUT, using it with ball powders it tends to leak a bit so for that I use another type.

What I like about it...it's cheap, small and easy to empty or refill. When loading hunting rifle rounds (30-06 or .270) I only batch load around 20-40 per session so after I dump the powder with the measure, I weigh it and use a powder trickler to finish off each round. For .223 (ball powder) I use the pro auto disk mounted on the classic turret press.

secondstoryguy
09-09-2018, 10:09 AM
When I was doing the precision rifle thing I used the RCBS Chargemaster. Its sometimes a little slow(you might wait a few seconds for it to drop the powder) but it pairs pretty well with a single stage press. I actually bought another Chargemaster and ran two of them (seating bullets with a Forster single stage press) that way I always had a power charge ready and didn’t have to wait.

This is a very accurate way to deliver powder but looking back I would probably just set up a Dillon 550 with better dies and call it good. I don’t think a fraction of a grain of powder has that much influence on accuracy (it has way more to do with seating depth, barrels, etc)...

GuanoLoco
09-09-2018, 10:54 AM
300 AAC BO isn’t really a precision round, especially for subsonic. I’ve spent some time messing with it. No need to obsess over powder charges IMHO.

The supersonic with a Barnes TAC-TX bullet is nice for shorter range deer hunting, SD, etc. Supressible but still supersonic... Basically a complicated less noisy 30-30 for hunting, has some nice advantages over .223 for SD IMHO (110gr, .308 vs. .223 diameter, better performance from short barrels). BUT the TAC-TX bullets that expand reliably at 2450-fps ranges (less for shorter barrels) are expensive.

The subsonic (~1050+ fps) was basically an expensive PITA even messing with polymer-coated bullets. The best (least amount of the fastest-burning) powder load I could get for a .308” x 198-240gr bullet was about 8.x gr. Also, I found varios barrel/chamber combos to be relatively unforgiving, especially for the far less expensive polymer-coated bullet blunt nose profiles. I’d suggest one of those cut-away case gauges, mfg doesn’t come to mind off-hand.

Any way you cut it, 8gr of a powder that is slower than you use in 9mm is a LOT more gas that has to be suppressed noise-wise. I have pretty much changed subsonic channels to 9mm. Why? .355 x 147-165 gr. vs, a much noisier .308 x .198-240gr, both at ~1050 fps, but with WAY less of a faster-burning power, at ar less cost.

So: 9mm: 147gr HST for SD, or my regular practice ammo - both subsonic in a pistol-length AR-9 barrel. Quieter than 300 BO but not exactly ‘quiet’. For quietness I have gone to a .356” x 165gr polymer-coated for general use with about 2.x gr of a fast powder running SLOOOOOWW... maybe 800- fps vs. 1050 fps. Noise is primarily from the action cycling, rounds impacting target and brass hitting the ground. Action is quiet as I went to a custom “internal” spring/buffer combo where the spring doesn’t rub on the buffer tube and where I polished the buffer. Stupig quiet and a real crowd-pleaser.

Load data from memory - I can go look up specifics if you want it.

Clusterfrack
09-09-2018, 12:39 PM
I almost exclusively use a Chargemaster and a single-stage press for rifle reloading, except for high-volume 5.56. I can easily load 200 rounds in a session, and it's just not worth screwing around with calibrating a volumetric measure. Also, some of my favorite rifle powders don't meter well in a powder drop (e.g. H4350).

mmc45414
09-09-2018, 12:56 PM
I do not think you would ever regret getting that Lock-N-Load for ~$65. If you ever want to you can convert it to work in a progressive press (I have two setup that way) and it would meet you needs for an AR pistol.

But if you will only ever do single stage for rifle the auto would be nice. That might be my next gadget purchase. I am interested in the idea that you can punch in a weight and it will just spit it out. Might be good just for experimenting with pistol loads even.

ranger
09-09-2018, 01:49 PM
I use the Hornady digital press for my long range and hunting loads with a 550 - at powder drop stage I use a funnel. I use the Dillon powder drop on my bulk rifle loading such as 223. I use the Lee auto powder drop that uses the discs for most of my pistol loads.

CDR_Glock
09-09-2018, 04:57 PM
I do not think you would ever regret getting that Lock-N-Load for ~$65. If you ever want to you can convert it to work in a progressive press (I have two setup that way) and it would meet you needs for an AR pistol.

But if you will only ever do single stage for rifle the auto would be nice. That might be my next gadget purchase. I am interested in the idea that you can punch in a weight and it will just spit it out. Might be good just for experimenting with pistol loads even.

I keep reading that the electronic ones don’t last. That makes me nervous for how much they cost.

They’re on Clearance.

Pistol Pete 10
09-11-2018, 07:05 PM
I keep reading that the electronic ones don’t last. That makes me nervous for how much they cost.

They’re on Clearance.

I use Lee scoops and a trickler if stick powder. RCBS Uniflo and trickler if necessary with ball powder. Recently loaded some CFE 223 and it threw on the money, didn't use a trickler. BUT, I don't shoot hundreds of rounds of rifle ammo.

Hambo
09-12-2018, 06:00 AM

They’re on Clearance.

Sample of one, but mine has lasted for years. I may have bought it the first year they came out. When it dies I'll buy another electronic immediately.

LittleLebowski
09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Get the Hornady (https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-050069-Lock-N-Load-Powder-Measure/dp/B000PD1XDA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536759881&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hornady+powder+measure&psc=1) and I think you'll need to make it case activated? This is .300blk, not precision rifle, you'll be fine.

CDR_Glock
09-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Get the Hornady (https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-050069-Lock-N-Load-Powder-Measure/dp/B000PD1XDA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536759881&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hornady+powder+measure&psc=1) and I think you'll need to make it case activated? This is .300blk, not precision rifle, you'll be fine.

I ordered the Hornady with stand. I’ll see how it goes without case activation since I will mount this onto my bench. I don’t mind rocking the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro