PDA

View Full Version : PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

littlejerry
09-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Getting ready for my next Run'n'Gun event. I decided to sort through my PMAGS and find the ones that don't seem to seat easily on a closed bolt. Seems like every event I've run in I'll encounter a mag that I just can't seat and it screws my time on a stage.

The culprit mags show a unique failure where the second round in the magazine sticks up:3001030011

When this happens the 2 rounds lock on each other and it takes an enormous amount of force to insert the mag. Pushing the tip of the second round down to it's normal position fixes the issue. I can induce this failure by aggressively slapping the bottom and sides of the mag, or by dropping it on dirt/carpet. Not good for someone running and doing obstacles.

Taking a closer look I realized some of my mags just flat out wouldn't allow this to happen. There appears to be a geometry change. Magpul added a 2nd "guide" rib just in front of the feed lip. See below a magazine with the added rib and one without:30012

There is also an external marking which I believe is the version number. I checked all of my M3 PMAGS and they were marked either "20" or "22". Version 20 exhibits the failure, 22 does not. My M2 PMAGS were version 10 and have the same failure.30013

Of all my M3 PMAGS I've got a 50/50 mix of 20's and 22's. I'll be keeping the 20s for practice and to sell off during the next scare.

If you're inspecting a new in wrapper magazine you can see the number without opening the package.

I haven't purchased any PMAGS in a while so I'm not sure if 22 is the most current version or not. I'd expect any number greater than 22 to include the same fix.

Guerrero
09-08-2018, 10:42 AM
I have a couple Gen 3 PMAG's that I bought a couple months ago. Two are marked "22" and one is marked "21." All three have the additional rib.

Beat Trash
09-08-2018, 11:04 AM
(Yes I'm bored...)

I just dug through my stash of M3 PMAG's, both windowed and non-windowed. It seems the additional rib was added in 2016 production. All of my 2016 and newer magazines have the additional rib.

I have on occasion have had issue with this. Quickly fixed by pushing the offending round down with a finger. But I also ensured that all the magazines I carry at work and all the magazines I stash in my work vehicle as spares are of the newer production.

Thanks for point this out.

Wake27
09-08-2018, 12:40 PM
I use M3 PMAGs almost exclusively but I was not aware of this, thank you.

Bigghoss
09-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Thnaks for this. Most of mine I got recently but I'll check the stash and set the older style aside and report back if I find anything inconsistent with what's been posted.

Clusterfrack
09-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Yup. I’ve been aware of the 2nd round issue with PMags for a long time. This is why I use Lancer AWMs. I’m glad Magpul has finally (quietly) addressed it with an update.

Here’s a pic I posted a while back.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180908/d5ef05fef2ae6c9f78a78e2cfcf83012.jpg

MistWolf
09-08-2018, 02:27 PM
I've identified the same problem with some of my early Pmags. However, I didn't know about the markings. I believe if you contact MagPul, they'll take care of it. I've been meaning to contact MagPul, but on the days I haven't been too lazy, my time has been taken up with procrastination.

Clusterfrack
09-08-2018, 05:15 PM
I've identified the same problem with some of my early Pmags. However, I didn't know about the markings. I believe if you contact MagPul, they'll take care of it. I've been meaning to contact MagPul, but on the days I haven't been too lazy, my time has been taken up with procrastination.

You mean they will replace all the old mags? I have quite a few...

WobblyPossum
09-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Interesting. I have several Gen 3 PMags I couldn’t use as duty mags because they had this issue with the nose of the second round raising up and making it almost impossible to lock the mag in under a closed bolt. Now that you mention it, they have the “20” stamped on them. I recently bought ten Gen 3 Sand colored mags. I haven’t opened any of the packages but they have “22” stamped on them. I have about 7 of the “20” mags. Are you saying that if I contact Magpul they’ll just replace them with “22” mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duelist
09-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Interesting. I have 1 M3 and one M2 I’ve been using, and neither of them have that extra rib. I also have a stash of new-in-wrap M2, so I doubt they do, either. I got them after followers in GI mags failed on me. All the rest of my 5.56 AR mags are GI surplus that got Magpul followers installed.

Joe45
09-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Great.. now I need to go dig through my magazines...

Thanks for the info!

John Hearne
09-08-2018, 07:58 PM
I had a guy in carbine class that was using PMAGs he had purchased earlier that week and had just removed from the wrapper earlier that week. It would reliably spit out a round when the bolt carrier group stopped its rearward motion. Caused nasty malfunctions.

Redhat
09-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Any of these "problem" mags new or have they been used for a while? Looks like a case of spreading out in the pics posted.

hufnagel
09-09-2018, 06:04 AM
The following is supplied as a data point only.

I went ahead and spot checked some of my in-free-state-storage mags the other day; all are GEN M2 PMAG30.
Markings are as follows for 12 loaded mags:

M14 M15 M16
(11) (11) (11)
1.5/16 3/16 2.5/16

None appear to exhibit 2nd round tilting at this time, and none have the extra "rib." They have been sitting in storage, loaded, for almost a year. No visible lip "spreading" is apparent.

eta: hit "send" before I finished typing. :)
I did the informal "smack" test on 3 mags, and other than occasionally being able to pop the top round out of the mag when striking the base hard, I never managed to get the 2nd round to tilt out of position.

eta2: well, this is interesting.
I just had a fortuitous (?) event happen; went into the safe for something and one of my 10rnd PMAG30 M3 mags fell off the shelf and on the ground. Son-of-a-gun it tilted the 2nd round! In fact the 2nd round is in there so "loosely" that you can move it up with just some slight pressure from your finger nail under the tip of the round.

Wake27
09-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Just looked through all of my PMAGs here, every single one of which is windowed except for the 40 and 20 rounders. One sand colored 40 rounder is labeled 01 and one black 20 rounder is 07. I had four black mags and two sand mags marked 21, one black marked 20, but the vast majority of my mags are the MCTs, all of which are 26. I'll have to keep an eye on the non-MCT mags but have yet to have a problem so far.

littlejerry
09-09-2018, 10:52 AM
It's worth noting that this is a non issue for me in most settings (both match and practice). Most of the time I load a mag, go shoot a stage, etc.

For biathlons/run and gun events it's a huge problem. I'm running 6-15 miles depending on the event, and also doing low crawls, wall climbs, etc.

My new in wrapper M3s that are marked 20 still have the same failure. Some mags are easier to induce than others. I had originally speculated it was an age/use issue and opened a few fresh mags, went to the range to do some sprints, and found the same issue on brand new mags.

The pouches I use are BFG 10 speed singles, BFG 2x M4 pouches, and old Alice clip 3-mag pouches.

Just finished the Legion 9/11 Memorial 10k at Rock Castle this morning. Ran only with "22" marked mags and had zero issues. Mags were a mix of used and new.

HCM
09-09-2018, 02:28 PM
That number is a mold number.

My Gen3 FDE window mags marked “26” have the divider as does a 40 rounder marked “02.”

Wake27
09-09-2018, 11:08 PM
It's worth noting that this is a non issue for me in most settings (both match and practice). Most of the time I load a mag, go shoot a stage, etc.

For biathlons/run and gun events it's a huge problem. I'm running 6-15 miles depending on the event, and also doing low crawls, wall climbs, etc.

My new in wrapper M3s that are marked 20 still have the same failure. Some mags are easier to induce than others. I had originally speculated it was an age/use issue and opened a few fresh mags, went to the range to do some sprints, and found the same issue on brand new mags.

The pouches I use are BFG 10 speed singles, BFG 2x M4 pouches, and old Alice clip 3-mag pouches.

Just finished the Legion 9/11 Memorial 10k at Rock Castle this morning. Ran only with "22" marked mags and had zero issues. Mags were a mix of used and new.

You should definitely contact Magpul and let us know what they say. I haven’t actually seen the issue in mine, though I’m sure I could replicate it if I tried.

MistWolf
09-09-2018, 11:11 PM

I cannot speak for Magpul. However, I have seen a few threads in M4C where customers have brought up problems and the Magpul rep said "Contact us directly and we'll take care of you."

hufnagel
09-10-2018, 05:24 AM
you sure you want to "out" him like that? poor guy's notifications will hit 100+ in about an hour. :D

M2CattleCo
09-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Magpul is very aware. I've been involved with this problem since 2012. You need to look for the nubs inside the feedlips. They were added during 2015. All sand and MCT 30s will have them. If you want to be safe, make sure you buy black Gen M3 30s from 2016 or newer. Slide the mag up in the package and you can read the date stamp.

I was a very early adopter of the Gen M3s and I've been sticking (and gone around and around) with Magpul on these mags, but they are solid now. I have enough faith in them now that I shoot Gen M3 30s exclusively, and it comes after a long relationship with Okay/Colt mags and a very successful four years with MRev Pmags.

I don't work for Magpul in any capacity.

Trukinjp13
09-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Magpul took care of my buddy on shit load of pmags he had. Contact them, they are solid dudes.

hufnagel
09-14-2018, 05:48 AM
So, I'm just a slow cud chewer here. Should I contact Magpul at some point and see about getting these M2 and M3 mags without that extra ridge exchanged? I have a bunch in storage, and would hate for them to be a problem when I can finally use them.

Trukinjp13
09-14-2018, 08:41 AM
So, I'm just a slow cud chewer here. Should I contact Magpul at some point and see about getting these M2 and M3 mags without that extra ridge exchanged? I have a bunch in storage, and would hate for them to be a problem when I can finally use them.

Yes. Worth a try.

M2CattleCo
09-14-2018, 09:52 AM
The M2 mags have never had the nubs. Only the 30 round Gen M3.

Clusterfrack
09-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Magpul took care of my buddy on shit load of pmags he had. Contact them, they are solid dudes.

Message submitted at Magpul. I'll report back if/when I hear. Thanks dude.

hufnagel
09-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Message submitted at Magpul. I'll report back if/when I hear. Thanks dude.

Interested to know which flavors you have and wind up getting "replaced."

LittleLebowski
09-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Great thread.

That Guy
09-15-2018, 05:21 AM
Have I misunderstood something (again)?

I took an unused PMag out of its wrapping, verified that the mold code is 22, fully loaded it, and then took a plastic tool and gently (emphasis on the word gently)tried to push the bullet on the second round upwards. And this is the end result:

There is extra molding in the magazine body, but just from trying to lift the bullet upwards it doesn't appear to stop it in any way.

(Yes, throwing the magazine around would probably be a more realistic test. But that is expensive ammo in that magazine, and I am unwilling to beat up one of my expensive PMags from my limited supply unless I have a very good reason to... So I'm hoping some of you who live in the land of unlimited cheap magazines do the more destructive testing.)

WobblyPossum
09-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Try just slapping the baseplate or sides of the mag. Also is it legal for you to drive around all day with the loaded magazine in your car? I only discovered this issue existed when I loaded my mags in my plate carrier and put it in the trunk for a patrol shift. At he end of the shift all of the second rounds had shifted.

My posts only represent my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the official policies and opinions of my employer. Any obvious spelling errors are likely the result of a tiny iPhone keyboard and autocorrect.

M2CattleCo
09-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Grab the mag by the bottom and try fling a round out if it. If it causes a transposition you'll probably have trouble if it rides around in a pouch or vehicle.

I've observed this with g.i. mags too. It's not a problem unique to early M3 Pmags.

StraitR
09-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Grab the mag by the bottom and try fling a round out if it. If it causes a transposition you'll probably have trouble if it rides around in a pouch or vehicle.

I've observed this with g.i. mags too. It's not a problem unique to early M3 Pmags.

Thanks for clarifying this. It was my next question.

Well crap, I still have a pile of Gen2's and Okay/NHMTG/Colt mags that I had no intention of updating.

M2CattleCo
09-15-2018, 12:43 PM
G.I. masgs are not very prone to doing it, mostly Brownells and Centers with the feedlips at the wider end of the spec are the usual offenders.

Clusterfrack
09-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Magpul returned my Friday afternoon inquiry first thing monday morning. That is freaking AWESOME customer service. I love these guys. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them about the new mags.

It is very interesting that they say the size of the ammo can contribute to the problem. This has me wondering about reloaded 5.56 using small base dies.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We did see this in a few instances with some of the older PMAGs that were on the large side of the spec range when used with some ammo that was on the small side of the spec range.

We did add some small ribs on the inside of the mag bodies to accommodate for this.

You should not have this issue with the 40 round PMAGS, unless it is your ammo that is undersized. As far as the Gen2 and GenM3 PMAGS, we can see about having them replaced for you.

When you get the chance, please let us know how many of each PMAG (i.e. Gen2 or GenM3, window or non-window and color as well as capacity) and we will see what we can do for you on this.

Thanks,

WobblyPossum
09-17-2018, 02:20 PM
I contacted Magpul about the issue with my Gen M3 mags and a representative of the company offered to replace them. I did not ask about replacing any Gen 2 magazines because the Gen 2s never had the extra rib added to fix this issue. If Magpul is even offering to replace customers' Gen 2 mags with updated Gen M3 ones, that speaks very highly of their customer service.

hufnagel
09-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Interesting about the ammo size comment from Magpul. All my big mags that didn't fail the smack test are loaded with GGG M855 ammo. The 10 rounder that DID fail is loaded with Federal XM855. I just went and tested them again, and now none of them are pitching the 2nd round.

Trukinjp13
09-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Magpul returned my Friday afternoon inquiry first thing monday morning. That is freaking AWESOME customer service. I love these guys. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them about the new mags.

It is very interesting that they say the size of the ammo can contribute to the problem. This has me wondering about reloaded 5.56 using small base dies.

Hello,

We did see this in a few instances with some of the older PMAGs that were on the large side of the spec range when used with some ammo that was on the small side of the spec range.

We did add some small ribs on the inside of the mag bodies to accommodate for this.

You should not have this issue with the 40 round PMAGS, unless it is your ammo that is undersized. As far as the Gen2 and GenM3 PMAGS, we can see about having them replaced for you.

When you get the chance, please let us know how many of each PMAG (i.e. Gen2 or GenM3, window or non-window and color as well as capacity) and we will see what we can do for you on this.

Thanks,

That is a good American company right there. I am glad they got in contact with you. The few times I got ahold of them about lil stuff they answered right away. And the dudes I knew that needed a lot more help they also did them.

John Hearne
09-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Finally got the video of the puking pmag uploaded:

https://youtu.be/bfWy4Bex9Sc

WobblyPossum
09-18-2018, 05:04 PM
I’ve noticed I can replicate this issue with Gen 2 pmags if I hold them from the bottom and flick my wrist as mentioned earlier but I can’t recall ever seeing this occur with a Gen 2 mag without having caused it purposely. Are the early Gen M3 mags more prone to this problem than the Gen 2s?

JSGlock34
09-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Sees thread...goes to basement...checks PMAG stash...damn it!

willie
09-18-2018, 10:35 PM
About the stated problem. Does it make any difference if the mag is or is not loaded to full capacity. I keep mine loaded one less than full capacity because some are difficult to insert if loaded 100%. The lower receiver is S&W, and I had blamed hard insertion on the Smith receiver.

That Guy
09-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Try just slapping the baseplate or sides of the mag.

Tried this. Slapping the baseplate pretty hard makes the top round creep forward, which is not great, but other than that, no effect. Except on my palm. :p

Clusterfrack
09-19-2018, 02:52 PM
I have had it happen with 30 and 28 rounds. Most often on a vigorous reload. If the bolt is forward, insertion is super hard. I’ve had to slam the gun mag first onto a nearby object to get it seated.

Lancer AWMs do not have this problem.
willie, as much as I’d like to blame S&W because I don’t like their guns, I doubt it has anything to do with it.

willie
09-19-2018, 04:23 PM
So are my new but old school GI aluminum mags obsolete?

littlejerry
09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
About the stated problem. Does it make any difference if the mag is or is not loaded to full capacity. I keep mine loaded one less than full capacity because some are difficult to insert if loaded 100%. The lower receiver is S&W, and I had blamed hard insertion on the Smith receiver.

I've had it happen with pretty much any amouny of ammo in the mag. Often times I'll end up using partial mags in a biathlon event. I've had the same failure occur with ~15 rds in the mag.

Coincidentally I got a Lancer L5 off the prize table at Rockcastle. Seems pretty nice and having an accurate round count might be beneficial in a RNG event. I'll still see if Magpul will swap my mags, but I may be buying more L5 AWMs.

Wake27
09-19-2018, 06:01 PM
I've had it happen with pretty much any amouny of ammo in the mag. Often times I'll end up using partial mags in a biathlon event. I've had the same failure occur with ~15 rds in the mag.

Coincidentally I got a Lancer L5 off the prize table at Rockcastle. Seems pretty nice and having an accurate round count might be beneficial in a RNG event. I'll still see if Magpul will swap my mags, but I may be buying more L5 AWMs.

I do like that the Lancer’s round count is faster to read and more accurate. But they didn’t drop free in my Noveske lower any better than Gen 2 PMAGs which is a big part of the reason I only use M3s and GI mags.

cmbarny2
09-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks for posting this, checked my stash at home and it looks like I have 6 still in wrapper that are model 20 and the rest are 22. Now I need to check my 5 at work and see if they are all 22s or not as I should have 4 more Gen M3 that are 20s somewhere. I know I bought all of mine in 10 packs. Any that I find will be rotated to range mags and replaced.

WobblyPossum
09-22-2018, 07:32 AM
I’ve noticed I can reliably get Gen 2 mags to do this in a very specific admin load type scenario. My unmarked take home SUV does not have a rifle rack so I have to keep my AR in the cargo area in the back. I carry the rifle to and from the car in a cheap Walmart rifle case. When I put it in the back I unzip the case and lock a magazine in the mag well. I’ve found that if the rifle is laying ejection port up I have to be really careful sliding the magazine in or else the second round pops up and I can’t lock it in. If I’m at the range loading the rifle with the mag well in my workspace and the stock tucked under my elbow the mags seem to load fine.

I also haven’t noticed the Gen 2 mags pop the second round up from just riding around in my plate carrier in the back of the car either. That was guaranteed with the Gen M3 mags that didn’t have the extra nubs.

Clusterfrack
10-01-2018, 08:13 PM
I just received a box-o-Pmags from Magpul. The new ones. The design appears to prevent the 2nd round override. I can still pry up a round by hand, but it is much more difficult. I'm looking forward to trying these out. It will be great to use PMags again. What other mag can you run over with a truck and it’s still good to go?

MAGPUL: BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I love you guys.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/27606027c6262307548a812eede8ddf6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/0e15002a20fdbb58ed775bcab70843d6.jpg

Hello,

Thanks,

That Guy
10-07-2018, 04:07 AM
Wow. That is pretty damn impressive.

(Hmm... Nah. I don't suppose they'd be interested in sending magazines overseas. Pity, I do have a small pile of Gen2 and mold number 20 Gen3's that were originally supposed to be my serious use mags.)

Clusterfrack
10-07-2018, 09:20 AM
I’ve noticed I can replicate this issue with Gen 2 pmags if I hold them from the bottom and flick my wrist as mentioned earlier but I can’t recall ever seeing this occur with a Gen 2 mag without having caused it purposely. Are the early Gen M3 mags more prone to this problem than the Gen 2s?

Not as far as I can tell. It’s not a common thing, but happened enough for me to switch from PMags to Lancer AWMs.

littlejerry
10-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Not as far as I can tell. It’s not a common thing, but happened enough for me to switch from PMags to Lancer AWMs.

Awesome that Magpul replaced your mags. I still haven't reached out to them yet due to travel.

Now that both are viable, any reason you'd use one over the other? (Pmag vs Lancer). The L5AWM seemed slightly harder for me to insert on a closed bolt vs a "fixed" pmag but I really like the translucent body for RnG stuff.

Clusterfrack
10-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Awesome that Magpul replaced your mags. I still haven't reached out to them yet due to travel.

Now that both are viable, any reason you'd use one over the other? (Pmag vs Lancer). The L5AWM seemed slightly harder for me to insert on a closed bolt vs a "fixed" pmag but I really like the translucent body for RnG stuff.

Yes, that was really nice of them. Magpul has earned my business for sure.

I’ve had PMags get run over by a truck, and still function fine. Lancers are rugged, but not like that. The plastic is more brittle, and the metal feed lips can bend.

Function-wise, I don’t have enough time with the new G3 PMags to say much, but assuming the issue is solved, PMags win for me.

Wake27
10-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Lancers look cool, and their round count indicator is much easier to use than Magpul’s, but the metal feed lips thing is more of an AKism. PMAGs are superior because even if they take a hit on the feed lips, they will likely flex and then return to their original (proper) dimensions, giving you better reliability. This is IMO, but Magpul has videos to back it up. Plus M3 PMAGs are the only aftermarket mags that have a chance of dropping free in my Noveske lower [emoji19].

Clusterfrack
10-07-2018, 09:24 PM
...Plus M3 PMAGs are the only aftermarket mags that have a chance of dropping free in my Noveske lower [emoji19].

Do they fit in your Noveske lower? Unless I grind down the overinsertion tabs, G3 PMags won’t insert fully in mine.

Wake27
10-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Do they fit in your Noveske lower? Unless I grind down the overinsertion tabs, G3 PMags won’t insert fully in mine.

I assume you have an older Gen II lower? The earlier models of the Gen II had that problem. They fixed it at some point, not sure if anyone nailed down the SN range where the change took place or not. Mine is a Gen I.

Talking Monkey
10-12-2018, 09:34 AM
I just received a box-o-Pmags from Magpul. The new ones. The design appears to prevent the 2nd round override. I can still pry up a round by hand, but it is much more difficult. I'm looking forward to trying these out. It will be great to use PMags again. What other mag can you run over with a truck and it’s still good to go?

MAGPUL: BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I love you guys.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/27606027c6262307548a812eede8ddf6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/0e15002a20fdbb58ed775bcab70843d6.jpg

So they didn't replace your Gen M2 mags with M3? Do the new M2 mags have the same changes?

Clusterfrack
10-12-2018, 10:24 AM
The new M2s don’t prevent the problem. For some reason, my new ones are better though.

ricky_bobby
11-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Just read this whole thread and now y'all are making me check all my M3 PMags LOL

Amazing customer service, further reinforces why I buy Magpul gear for everything I own that I can (furniture, slings, connections, sights) -

To the gent who got his "defective" mags replaced, did you just slap the old ones in a box and send to Magpul?

Clusterfrack
11-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Just read this whole thread and now y'all are making me check all my M3 PMags LOL

Amazing customer service, further reinforces why I buy Magpul gear for everything I own that I can (furniture, slings, connections, sights) -

To the gent who got his "defective" mags replaced, did you just slap the old ones in a box and send to Magpul?

Not exactly. I contacted them via their customer service form, and explained what was going on.

ricky_bobby
11-16-2018, 01:31 PM
I've noticed they are very good with responding via email - I checked all my Gen M3's and all marked 22, so I should be good to go - I will keep in mind for future purchases - I have a couple dozen of the M3's

Flashman
10-28-2019, 02:56 PM
This is very interesting. About four years ago, I acquired an AR for the first time. A number of Gen2 & 3 PMAG's were obtained as well. Through the process of learning the platform, and in classes, it became evident that sometimes it was very difficult, if not impossible, to seat a loaded GEN3 on a closed bolt (whether loaded to 30 or 28). Although GEN2's could also be a problem, I usually could seat the magazine.

It was incredibly frustrating and more so because it was inconsistent. Magpul advised it was BCM and BCM indicated their lower receiver was milspec and that Magpul GEN3's were not and therefore the source of the problem. Adjustment of the mag release made a difference, perhaps, but trying to isolate the problem was mind numbing. I checked measurements and even did a bit of filing and sanding to see if the PMAG would work better on a closed bolt. Internet info was inconclusive. I finally gave up and used the GEN2's and GI mags (which never had a problem) and put the GEN3's away.

My GEN3's are "20's". This thread also makes a lot of sense since the seating problem was most evident during classes and competition where the mags were upside down in a carrier and there was a bit of moving around and jostling which could contribute to the second cartridge nosing up.

Magpul was kind of rude about the whole matter treating me like an idiot (admittedly I was a neophyte at the time). Maybe I still am but I will follow up and see what they will do now.

Chris17404
11-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to contribute my personal experiences to this thread. A few years ago I purchased several M3 PMAGs which exhibited the exact same characteristics as the OP. Mine are version "20" as well. I never had any feeding issues, but I always had trouble inserting these PMAGs into my BCM lower with as few as 5 rounds loaded. It either wouldn't go it, or I needed to exert a forward tilt to get it to lock in place. I had verified that the over-insertion tab was not the culprit. As a result of this thread I contacted Magpul Customer Service and explained the situation in detail. The gentleman replied that I had identified a known issue with early M3 PMAGs and I could ship them all back under warranty and they'd return brand new mags to me. I did this, and 2 weeks later I received a shipment of replacement mags. All of them are version "23". I just loaded a few up with a full 30 rounds of ammo and they are perfect. The top rounds sit perfectly in the magazine, the round insert and sit in place very securely and the mag inserts into my BCM lower like butter with a nice secure click. That is great Magpul customer service. If you are experiencing these problems with your own early M3 PMAGs I'd not hesitate to get them replaced.

Chris

Flashman
11-16-2019, 11:33 AM
I am happy to report Magpul replaced all of my GEN3 mags. The story conveyed above was the Reader’s Digest version. I had also consulted several in the shooting community who either pled ignorance or that Gen3’s were crap. Very frustrating but a good ending.

OlongJohnson
12-03-2019, 07:21 PM
I picked up some M3 PMAGs from an online retailer. Just unpacked them. The 30-rounders were all marked 23 and had the nubs to present the rounds correctly. I picked up one each of 10-rd and 20-rd M3 mags just to check. They were both marked 07 and did not have the nubs. Will call Magpul tomorrow and see about getting them swapped out. Glad I only tested the waters with one of each.