PDA

View Full Version : Gotta be careful

HCountyGuy
08-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Had this happen last night in my old stomping grounds:

http://m.wtvm.com/wtvm/db_376055/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=AG5f3fDg

Seems criminals are even more creative about their ploys to victimize the unsuspecting or the good-natured.

I know this sort of thing is a no-brainer for most of the folks who hang around here, but it just seems you can’t be too trusting these days. What makes me mad is that somebody who seriously needs assistance won’t get it for fear of becoming a victim.

Darth_Uno
08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Round here a while back they figured out they could rear end you at a light, and when you pulled over they'd steal your car. Fairly clever.

blues
08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
There are some miserable scumbags out there roaming our streets.

JRB
08-30-2018, 11:36 AM
A local car guy made social media rounds earlier this week.

Car guy lives a bit outside of town. Gets home from work, lets his dogs out, hears a truck outside.
Truck is unfamiliar, truck weirdo gets out and needs directions. Guy gives truck weirdo directions, all is well. Then weirdo's truck cranks but doesn't start.

Guy spends 2 hours in his front yard with tools trying to diagnose/fix the issue with truck weirdo's truck. At some point truck weirdo gets pissed off.
As guy is pulling himself out from under the truck, weirdo decides to take a bigass wrench and do his level best to cave in guy's head with it - repeatedly. Guy is bleeding badly and briefly loses consciousness.

Weirdo goes into guy's house, steals his car keys and some other shit, takes off. Guy can barely call 911 because his phone is covered in blood and he's bleeding everywhere. Miraculously his skull wasn't cracked or broken but his arm was broken/cracked when he blocked a few of the blows.

Truck is of course stolen and weirdo asshole matches the description for like 10+ currently wanted felons. His car is still in the wind and is unlikely to be recovered intact, knowing how stolen sports cars/muscle cars go.

Don't *EVER* let your guard down around strangers.

Malamute
08-30-2018, 11:57 AM
I wonder if she left it running or turned it off and and left the keys in it?

Never ever leave the key in it. And never leave a bunch of other important keys attached to it or the keyless fob.

einherjarvalk
08-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Round here a while back they figured out they could rear end you at a light, and when you pulled over they'd steal your car. Fairly clever.

ASP covered one of those a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjRKcwHoN8

Crazy how tactical criminals are getting these days. The moment I saw the suspect's vehicle do the cutoff here, my mind immediately went "carjacking/kidnapping."

This wasn't a carjacking, but there was also this road rage incident a few weeks ago in NY where some dude cut off the victim in the fast lane and attacked him with a bat: https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/96nlkz/road_rage_driver_destroys_window_for_no_reason/

Moral of the story: learn to floor it when necessary.

RevolverRob
08-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Two words: Manual transmission

The best anti-carjacking/auto-theft device in existence in our country.

HCountyGuy
08-30-2018, 12:58 PM
More details to the story are coming out:

http://m.wtvm.com/wtvm/db_376055/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=smYsVJAh

There’s cell phone video from the mother in this incident filming this guy clinging to the side of a car going down the road. So rather than call the police, she elected to record with phone in-hand while driving (recently made illegal here in GA). Then I guess the guy fell off and she went to check on him. Sounds like stupid decisions all around.

blues
08-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Well, I guess it's just my plain old good fortune that the tractor trailer driver delivering a humongous rider mower to the home across the road wasn't up to something nefarious when I saw the poor bastard out in the middle of the gravel road trying (unsuccessfully) to pull the damn thing on a pallet jack.

Letting my guard down in my tactical gym shorts (sans weapon), I went outside to render aid leaving myself open to the whims of any ne'er-do-well with bad intentions.

Blind luck and merciful angels protected me from my poor tactical awareness and lack of good sense.

(Sarcasm clearly intended but it's a sad day and a sad world when the first thing we have to think of is a plan to kill the other before anything else. I certainly won't make that mistake again. ;))

HCountyGuy
08-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Well, I guess it's just my plain old good fortune that the tractor trailer driver delivering a humongous rider mower to the home across the road wasn't up to something nefarious when I saw the poor bastard out in the middle of the gravel road trying (unsuccessfully) to pull the damn thing on a pallet jack.

Letting my guard down in my tactical gym shorts (sans weapon), I went outside to render aid leaving myself open to the whims of any ne'er-do-well with bad intentions.

Blind luck and merciful angels protected me from my poor tactical awareness and lack of good sense.

(Sarcasm clearly intended but it's a sad day and a sad world when the first thing we have to think of is a plan to kill the other before anything else. I certainly won't make that mistake again. ;))

This guy was hanging off another car going 50+ down a major road. Something should’ve clicked “hey, maybe I should call the police” instead of just taking video and putting yourself in a position to get your car with your kid inside stolen.

And yeah, you’re totally lucky to not have been killed on that gravel street! Lawnmowers ain’t no joke.

richiecotite
08-30-2018, 03:24 PM
More details to the story are coming out:

http://m.wtvm.com/wtvm/db_376055/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=smYsVJAh

There’s cell phone video from the mother in this incident filming this guy clinging to the side of a car going down the road. So rather than call the police, she elected to record with phone in-hand while driving (recently made illegal here in GA). Then I guess the guy fell off and she went to check on him. Sounds like stupid decisions all around.

I could also see the mother wanting to get an image of the guy that kidnapped her kid; the hanging off the car part; I imagine a person in that situation is going off instinct, and a mother’s instinct would be to try to get their kid, even if said kid is a moving car

*edit* thanks for clarifying. Totally misread your statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCountyGuy
08-30-2018, 03:27 PM
I could also see the mother wanting to get an image of the guy that kidnapped her kid; the hanging off the car part; I imagine a person in that situation is going off instinct, and a mother’s instinct would be to try to get their kid, even if said kid is a moving car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recording mentioned was the guy hanging off of a different car, which he apparently tried to enter while it was occupied. Officers believe the guy was on something during every bit of his crazed antics.

pangloss
08-30-2018, 10:52 PM
I'm sure glad they kid wasn't hurt.

Last winter a car was stolen from a grocery store near here with a ~6 year old boy in it. If memory serves, the mom worked a late shift, picked her son up from somewhere, and left him sleeping in the car while she went into the store. The amber alert pushed to my phone around 4:30 AM and the car was found with the boy's body inside a few hours after that. So awful.