PDA

View Full Version : Sight tracking drill

JodyH
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
My current weakness is consistency on my precision shots.
Namely multiple shots to a small target at speed.
This is hurting me some on the FAST, but is really getting me on the 99 drill.
To address this I wanted to do "Bill Drills" on a smaller target.
Since my magazines are 15 rounders I decided on 5 shots into a 3x5 from the holster would give me the most bang per magazine.
My goal this time around was to establish a baseline for the draw and the splits on a 3x5 at 7 yards, 100% accuracy.
To break things up I also did the same for 8" circle at 7 yards.

My baselines:
1.65 draw and .35-.40 splits on the 3x5
1.40 draw and .21-.25 splits on the 8"

My drill was to draw and shoot 5 shots into the 3x5 maintaining 100% accuracy and as close to my baselines as possible
The I'd do the same to the 8" circle.
Then repeat alternating 3x5 and 8" until I ran out of ammo.

After 100 rounds or so of this I found it to be a great practice drill that I'll be incorporating into future range sessions.
An alternative I'll add is to start with the slide locked back on an empty magazine, aimed in,
Then at the buzzer reload and shoot my 5 shots.

YVK
02-24-2012, 05:11 PM
My goal this time around was to establish a baseline for the draw and the splits on a 3x5 at 7 yards, 100% accuracy.
To break things up I also did the same for 8" circle at 7 yards...

My baselines:
1.40 draw and .21-.25 splits on the 8"

If I am reading you right and these are your times at a 100% hit rate, I don't see how you're having any problem here.

JV_
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
FWIW: This is pretty close to my time, and I'm OK with it. If I'm really dialed in, I can get that first shot in the 1.45 range, but the splits are generally the same.

JodyH
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
If I am reading you right and these are your times at a 100% hit rate, I don't see how you're having any problem here.
My problem is "cold" consistency such as on the first FAST or a cold 99 drill.
Once I'm warmed up these are my 100% baselines.
I want these to be my straight out of the holster on the morning of day one FAST times.
When I run the 99 drill, I don't want to drop 7-10 rounds on the first 10 strings.

In the 99 drill you have 2.5 for 3 shots.
Taking my 1.65+.40+.40= 2.45 that's no cushion whatsoever and the slightest bobble costs me a point.
On the 99 I'm usually good on accuracy, maybe only dropping 1 or 2 rounds.
It's those stinking 2.53's that are pissing me off.

JV_
02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
My problem is "cold" consistency such as on the first FASTWhat are your cold FAST times?

With the Glock, where < 5s runs weren't that difficult warmed up, my cold runs were 5.5 - 5.8.

JodyH
02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
What are your cold FAST times?

With the Glock, where < 5s runs weren't that difficult warmed up, my cold runs were 5.5 - 5.8.
About the same as you but I tend to drop a head shot about 25% of the time.
Once warmed up I can usually crank out the high 4's and low 5's clean without losing control.

JV_
02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Yep, me too. Clean & Cold runs are difficult.

It sounds like we have very similar numbers overall, and I've struggled improving those cold numbers. I'll be following to see what works for you.

JHC
02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I decided on 5 shots into a 3x5 from the holster would give me the most bang per magazine.

Nice! I have never tried such a drill. I shall tomorrow. Another elegant drill that works multiple facets. Draw, low prob with speed. Dig it!

ToddG
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd recommend a slight change. One of the things I notice with a lot of shooters -- myself included -- is a tendency to dial in on one size/distance target. Part of the reason folks have trouble with cold performance on tough targets is because they go into "tough target" mode, which is really not the best approach. It's a target. Shoot it and let your sights dictate your speed.

Something I've been doing a lot SHO/WHO lately but should also work well for 2H shooting:

3x5 card and 8" circle at 7yd
from concealment
draw and fire 3 to one target zone (card or circle)
draw and fire 3 to other target zone
repeat

It's basically just a changing gears drill. It forces the shooter to go at the appropriate speed for the target, and use the target/sights to time shots rather than hitting a rhythm and sailing through it.

YVK
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Do you guys see your split times vary depending on the drill you run, or, more accurately, complexity of the drill? For example, when I shoot FAST, my 3x5 split is rarely under 0.6, usually slower than that. When I practice a circle-type drill on 3x5, I can get 0.5 and lower fairly regularly. I am not sure if this is the same "cold-warm" type of of thing, or is a function of being somewhat overwhelmed by a complex composite drill?

JodyH
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
3x5 card and 8" circle at 7yd
from concealment
draw and fire 3 to one target zone (card or circle)
draw and fire 3 to other target zone
repeat
[/LIST]

That's what I'm doing except for 5 shots per.
I think my grip is breaking down slightly (or crap from the start) which starts giving me that inconsistent wobbly sight track, so the added shots tend to magnify that issue.
I really saw that yesterday at the range, I was trying to get a fast draw on the 99 (shave off that last .25 second) and ended up with a sucky grip which made for slow misses.

ToddG
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
That's what I'm doing except for 5 shots per.

Yeah... I'll actually read before posting next time. 100 demerits for me.

YVK: It's not at all uncommon to see folks have lower performance of specific tasks during a complex/synthesis type drill. Most folks get their best draw speed during draw practice, not during stages at a match. The F.A.S.T. is also a test rather than a practice drill, and as such pushing hard affects your score as opposed to just a blown rep during practice. Screwing up one reload during fifty 1-R-2 iterations isn't the same as screwing it up during your F.A.S.T.