PDA

View Full Version : National Knife Week?

Drang
08-29-2018, 05:59 AM
So say Schrade Cutlery and Amazon.com
Celebrate National Knife Week with big savings on top Schrade cutlery (https://smile.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=gbps_rlm_s-4_a30e_05cc3b28?node=17920306011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=b8f0f356-89c5-4ce1-a781-02aac81da30e&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=7KAC301F7JFQDDQCJNY9)

mtnbkr
08-29-2018, 06:31 AM
Ewww. New Schrades are just Taylor junk knives with the Schrade name stamped on them. Schrade went out of business years ago.

I celebrated Knife Week by ordering an Ontario Rat 1 D2 with orange scales Sunday. I didn't know it was Knife Week at the time though. :cool:

Chris

blues
08-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Every day should be a national knife day.

A knife should be part of everyone's EDC.

Here endeth the sermon.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-29-2018, 08:56 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/83cb4c5c1df002fc3bd158971ce97af4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbkr
08-29-2018, 09:01 AM

So, you give away free knives with your name instead of the more traditional toothbrush? Awesome! Are you taking on new patients? :cool: :p

Chris

blues
08-29-2018, 09:04 AM
So, you give away free knives with your name instead of the more traditional toothbrush? Awesome! Are you taking on new patients? :cool: :p

Chris

He usually only pulls out the blade when the patient admits they haven't been flossing regularly.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-29-2018, 09:25 AM
He usually only pulls out the blade when the patient admits they haven't been flossing regularly.

NO! I encourage people to ignore my preventative advice.

blues
08-29-2018, 10:25 AM
NO! I encourage people to ignore my preventative advice.

More money for knives. Crazy like a fox. ;)

Guerrero
08-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Sherman A. House DDS, what knife is that?

Sherman A. House DDS
08-29-2018, 10:45 AM

A Special Circumstances (my boy Ian Wendt) customized Benchmade Triage.

JAD
08-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Pretty obviously one belonging to Dr. House.

EricP
08-29-2018, 04:34 PM
A Special Circumstances (my boy Ian Wendt) customized Benchmade Triage.

Did Ian do the bolt on wave part?

Clusterfrack
08-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Did Ian do the bolt on wave part?

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

He sure did!

RevolverRob
08-29-2018, 06:00 PM
Wise Men Company - currently makes a 'bolt on' wave for certain Spydercos, and the Benchmade Grip. - http://wisemencompany.com/fang/

BUT - I encourage all to buy an Emerson or one of the knives with a licensed version of the Wave integrated into the knife if you can and/or are willing to. I understand wanting the functionality of a wave on an existing knife - and the Wise Men product is distinct from the Wave in the fact that it bolts on (and is not integrated into the total blade shape like a true Wave), but the core idea is the same and I prefer to support the original version where possible.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Wise Men Company - currently makes a 'bolt on' wave for certain Spydercos, and the Benchmade Grip. - http://wisemencompany.com/fang/

BUT - I encourage all to buy an Emerson or one of the knives with a licensed version of the Wave integrated into the knife if you can and/or are willing to. I understand wanting the functionality of a wave on an existing knife - and the Wise Men product is distinct from the Wave in the fact that it bolts on (and is not integrated into the total blade shape like a true Wave), but the core idea is the same and I prefer to support the original version where possible.

Agreed. But until Emerson makes a rescue knife with a hook and a glass breaker, a faux aftermarket custom job it is!

Totem Polar
08-29-2018, 08:28 PM
I already had the trainer laying around, but the sprint run mini matriarch is new for me.

RevolverRob
08-29-2018, 11:03 PM

Here endeth the sermon.

There is truth in this sermon. I just wish more people heeded it.

I've realized one can tell a lot about a person by knowledge of a few facts - do they carry a knife, can they drive a standard transmission, do they have a fire extinguisher in their house.

Turns out, all of the biggest assholes I know answer, "No" to all of those questions. And the correlation between "No" to any or all of those questions and questionable ethics and behavior is so high, it really makes me wonder about potential causation. Realistically, the cause is that said individuals were not taught self-reliance and/or were taught that self-reliance was a 'toxic' trait and have developed over-compensatory behaviors in response.

Agreed. But until Emerson makes a rescue knife with a hook and a glass breaker, a faux aftermarket custom job it is!

Completely understandable. The functionality gained by the Wave is so great, that application to a wide variety of folding knives of differing functions makes absolute sense and Emerson does not/can not make all the knives. I do appreciate that they have begun licensing the Wave feature more broadly now and one can get Wave-equipped blades from Emerson, Spyderco, Kershaw/ZT, and Fox Knives without issue. Hopefully, more manufacturers will move in this realm. Recognition of this is why I posted the link to the Wise Men product - it's, at present, a bit of a necessary evil for one to have maximum function from a chosen platform.

I'd like to see a company like Wise Men link up with Emerson and purchase a license agreement to make "bolt-on Waves" for a range of knives. Giving the best of both worlds, respecting the intellectual property and gaining function across as many different types of knives as possible. In my experience if there is a man in the industry who would support this, it is Ernest Emerson.

___

ETA: Thus far for National Knife Week - I've Renn-Waxed a stack of knives, Tuf-Glide'd folders, and sharpened a half-dozen more on my Japanese water-stone. Today alone I spent the better part of the evening partaking in knife maintenance. I need to buy a new knife too, but National Knife Week at least reminds me to partake in annual maintenance regimes.

Clusterfrack
08-29-2018, 11:27 PM
I already posted this elsewhere, but I got this last week:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180823/5b2c0e19c554f5937e804d3eb21489cb.jpg

Totem Polar
08-29-2018, 11:35 PM
This has got to be almost the only forum (outside maybe TPI or MBC) where the jolly purchase show-off pics include more than one folding drone trainer.

Drang
08-30-2018, 12:17 AM

Here endeth the sermon.

I hate working in an NPE. :-(

BillSWPA
08-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Would something like a Victorinox locking blade, thumb-opening Swiss Army knife, or a Leatherman Skeletool work? Either would be relatively easier to explain as a tool.

RevolverRob
08-30-2018, 12:48 PM
My current favorite NPE knife-type is an Opinel with the Virobloc ring-lock. The No. 6 is the smallest you can get with the ring-lock, blade length ~2.75". A few things I like about them - low profile non-threatening image, by looking like your grandfather's pocket knife. Sandvik 12C27 stainless blades available, they take a great edge easily (so-so in holding it). The Virobloc ring produces a very nice and tight lockup with high degree of safety, in the open position AND locks the knife in the closed position (bonus for those jurisdictions that try to "gravity knife" every blade). The standard size grip is good for medium-to-large hands. They are thumb-nail two-hand openers, so the risk of looking "offensive" is very minimal. Of course, like all good locking knives, they can simply be sheathed "open" for a fixed blade-type package.

There are a couple of new models that look interesting too. The No. 9 DIY - has a short (2.5") sheepsfoot blade, but with the full length No. 9 handle made or FRN. The No. 9 Oyster, has a nice blade shape, that is also shorter (~2.5") that is thicker than the standard blades. I think regrinding it slightly to get a proper edge and maybe a Besh-like point would make a fine, small, multi-jurisdiction legal, knife.

I really need to bend up some kydex to serve as a pocket or IWB sheath for the blade locked open (an impromptu cardboard/paper sheath works). You can also get them with oversized carveable handles for shaping to your own desire (another on my project list is to get one and carve the handle into something that fills the hand well in reverse grip.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-knives/classic-pocket-knives/classic-stainless-steel/n6-stainless-steel

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-knives/classic-blades/raw-to-carve-handles

Duelist
08-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Would something like a Victorinox locking blade, thumb-opening Swiss Army knife, or a Leatherman Skeletool work? Either would be relatively easier to explain as a tool.

Depends on the NPE and the local laws. I’ve worked sites that didn’t allow anything at all, and others where they didn’t care as long as you didn’t have a gun, and others where a knife was fine, but they really didn’t want it sticking out of your pocket or on your belt - nothing visible so they could “out of sight, out of mind”.

This is what I’m carrying right now. I’m in and out of schools a lot, so low profile is the name of the game.

RevolverRob
08-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Well, because of this thread, I just ordered a couple of carbon-steel blade No. 8 Opinels with oversized handles to carve and shape. One for prototyping, one for actual carry. Current plan is to chop the blade to a 2.5" wharncliffe configuration and shape the handle for reverse grip work - will make a nifty 'soft' NPE tool that is Chicago legal.

JAD
08-30-2018, 03:10 PM
I carry a knife when not traveling. I don't check bags normally so I am typically completely unarmed 25-40% of my life. It's not wonderful. I'll feel dumb when I get killed.

I'm carrying an old friend today. It doesn't show up well, but just west of the tip is a 1" scar she gave me 15 years ago because i was inattentive. I think that was the last time I cut myself with a knife.29674

Totem Polar
08-30-2018, 03:50 PM
I carry a knife when not traveling. I don't check bags normally so I am typically completely unarmed 25-40% of my life. It's not wonderful. I'll feel dumb when I get killed.

I'm carrying an old friend today. It doesn't show up well, but just west of the tip is a 1" scar she gave me 15 years ago because i was inattentive. I think that was the last time I cut myself with a knife.29674

Benchmade Phil Boguszewski spike, yes? Old school.

JAD
08-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Benchmade Phil Boguszewski spike, yes? Old school.

Minispike. My old school roster includes a Military, a Tim Wegner, a Bob Lum Leaf; those guys are all ~20 years old.

More recently I only buy waved enduras and delicas, with two failings: A starmate that I love very much, and a ZT emerson that I despise and need to unload.

serialsolver
08-30-2018, 05:23 PM

I have one of those spikes also. I quit carrying it after I cut myself with it after the third time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
08-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Minispike. My old school roster includes a Military, a Tim Wegner, a Bob Lum Leaf; those guys are all ~20 years old.

More recently I only buy waved enduras and delicas, with two failings: A starmate that I love very much, and a ZT emerson that I despise and need to unload.

Waved Enduras and particularly waved Delicas are very hard to beat as an EDC knife. The Spyderco version of the wave is gentler on pants and much more reliable than that he waved I have seen on most other waved knives.

Totem Polar
08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
The Lil Matriarch I posted above is essentially a delica. Same handle, same blade length. Perfect EDC size.

Drang
08-30-2018, 08:06 PM

If you don't get caught.

Francis
09-02-2018, 05:31 AM
This arrived yesterday due to this thread. I haven't spent money on a pocket knife since I was a kid. Stumbled on this at The Cutlery Shoppe (https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c122gpor-tenacious-3-39-satin-finish-plain-edge-blade-orange-g-10-handle-cutlery-shoppe-exclusive/) and was intrigued by the thumb hole, price and of course, 'Orange'. It's bigger than I expected so I guess I'm gonna have to shop for something a little smaller. ;)

Looking forward to learning more. Is there a P-F equivalent in the knife world?

ETA: Thus far for National Knife Week - I've Renn-Waxed a stack of knives, Tuf-Glide'd folders, and sharpened a half-dozen more on my Japanese water-stone. Today alone I spent the better part of the evening partaking in knife maintenance. I need to buy a new knife too, but National Knife Week at least reminds me to partake in annual maintenance regimes.

RR, if you have a minute can you give me the Reader's Digest version of Renn-Wax and Tuf-Glide? What's the best way to learn to sharpen? Are the sharpener tools any good or is stone the only way to go?

blues, do I remember reading somewhere that you moderate a forum?

mtnbkr
09-02-2018, 05:53 AM
This arrived yesterday due to this thread. I haven't spent money on a pocket knife since I was a kid. Stumbled on this at The Cutlery Shoppe (https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c122gpor-tenacious-3-39-satin-finish-plain-edge-blade-orange-g-10-handle-cutlery-shoppe-exclusive/) and was intrigued by the thumb hole, price and of course, 'Orange'. It's bigger than I expected so I guess I'm gonna have to shop for something a little smaller. ;)

Looking forward to learning more. Is there a P-F equivalent in the knife world?

RR, if you have a minute can you give me the Reader's Digest version of Renn-Wax and Tuf-Glide? What's the best way to learn to sharpen? Are the sharpener tools any good or is stone the only way to go?

Nice knife! I'm not directly familiar with the steel, but it seems to review reasonably well.

I haven't been involved in knife-related forums for several years, but I don't recall there being a P-F equivalent (ie populated by industry professionals with serious discussion on tactics and skills). Knives just seem to attract more derp due to there being more youth involved (there's the daily post by some teen asking which knife makes the best weapon for example). Then there are the raging cults of personality around one custom or semi-custom maker or another, internet slap fights over various minutia, silly testing regimes, etc.

Bladeforums.com is probably the largest. That's the one I know Blues is a member/moderator of. It's your best bet, but don't go in expecting P-F.

There are a bunch of other knife forums, but if you're looking for a starting place, BF is the only one to bother with. It has the most diversity and content and a minimum amount of forum-wide cult of personality.

Renn-Wax and Tuf-Glide are protective maintenance products frequently used on knives. I've used Renn-Wax, but not Tuf-Glide. I've had the same can of Renn-Wax for about 15 years now. I seldom use it anymore. It works as advertised, but it's not something I feel a strong need for personally.

ETA: Sharpening... It depends on your goals. If you merely want a sharp knife with minimal effort and time, I like the Worksharp Ken Onion Edition sharpener (https://www.worksharptools.com/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener.html). I find it will take anything to a razor edge with minimal effort and in minimal time. It will handle a lot of different blades (I've sharpened everything from multiblade traditional slipjoints to large bushcraft knives, and even hatchets). There are a variety of manual tools on the market. Spyderco's Sharpmaker is a worthy mention. I owned one for years and consider it the best of the bunch, but it's a bit tedious if your knife is too dull. I like it for taking a sharp-but-not-razor-sharp knife to hair popping sharp. Once the knife is dull or damaged, you're better off with other tools. I never got the hang of bench stones myself, but some folks enjoy the process or "purity". I just want a sharp knife, which is why I settled on the WorkSharp.

Chris

blues
09-02-2018, 07:26 AM

Francis

I've been a moderator and then super moderator on bladeforums.com for most of the past 20 years.

Renaissance Wax (Ren Wax) is a protectant for various media...knives, guns, paintings, jewelry etc. It's expensive and a little goes a long way. (I've had the same can for 20 years but hardly ever use it. I mostly use pharmaceutical grade mineral oil found in drug stores or big box stores or online.)

Tuf-Glide, which I've also had and used for years, is a "dry film" protectant that is supposed to lubricate and protect without attracting as much dust and debris to the pivot of knives. I've largely moved on from it though I do still occasionally. I mostly use Slip 2000 EWL or Super Lube or any high quality synthetic oil or CLP I happen to have on hand.

Sharpening is a vast topic and depends upon your willingness to learn freehand sharpening or the use of gadgets.

On the gadget front I'd highly recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker (https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE).

I'd also recommend DMT diamond plates (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dmt+diamond+plates&sprefix=dmt+diamond+plates%2Csporting%2C282&crid=3KJ9VGP6VKBS1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Admt+diamond+plates) for high carbide super steels with Vanadium carbide content of 4% and higher.

If you go to this section (https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/) on bladeforums.com you can peruse a zillion or so threads on learning to sharpen.

I highly recommend starting out with the Sharpmaker as it will help you keep your knives sharp, will help teach the rudiments of freehand sharpening and will continue to be useful for years even if you just use the triangle rods without the base (jig).

Start in the shallow end of the pool and don't bite off more than you're ready for to avoid confusion and frustration. I'll be happy to help where and if I can.

Hope this helps some.

Francis
09-02-2018, 12:03 PM
mtnbkr, thank you for the info and recommendations. Ken Onion sharpener on my wish list.

Thanks to you too, blues. Spyderco SharpMaker on the wish list too. Definitely trying to wade into the shallow end. Long term goal is to learn enough to pass along what I learn and an interest to grandkids when they are an appropriate age.

blues
09-02-2018, 12:25 PM
mtnbkr, thank you for the info and recommendations. Ken Onion sharpener on my wish list.

Thanks to you too, blues. Spyderco SharpMaker on the wish list too. Definitely trying to wade into the shallow end. Long term goal is to learn enough to pass along what I learn and an interest to grandkids when they are an appropriate age.

My pleasure. Let me know if I can help.

Clusterfrack
09-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Totally agree about the SharpMaker.

Ren Wax too. I also like a thin film of Froglube paste on non-stainless blades.

I like Weaponshield oil on pivots.

Francis

I've been a moderator and then super moderator on bladeforums.com for most of the past 20 years.

Renaissance Wax (Ren Wax) is a protectant for various media...knives, guns, paintings, jewelry etc. It's expensive and a little goes a long way. (I've had the same can for 20 years but hardly ever use it. I mostly use pharmaceutical grade mineral oil found in drug stores or big box stores or online.)

Tuf-Glide, which I've also had and used for years, is a "dry film" protectant that is supposed to lubricate and protect without attracting as much dust and debris to the pivot of knives. I've largely moved on from it though I do still occasionally. I mostly use Slip 2000 EWL or Super Lube or any high quality synthetic oil or CLP I happen to have on hand.

Sharpening is a vast topic and depends upon your willingness to learn freehand sharpening or the use of gadgets.

On the gadget front I'd highly recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker (https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE).

I'd also recommend DMT diamond plates (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dmt+diamond+plates&sprefix=dmt+diamond+plates%2Csporting%2C282&crid=3KJ9VGP6VKBS1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Admt+diamond+plates) for high carbide super steels with Vanadium carbide content of 4% and higher.

If you go to this section (https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/) on bladeforums.com you can peruse a zillion or so threads on learning to sharpen.

I highly recommend starting out with the Sharpmaker as it will help you keep your knives sharp, will help teach the rudiments of freehand sharpening and will continue to be useful for years even if you just use the triangle rods without the base (jig).

Start in the shallow end of the pool and don't bite off more than you're ready for to avoid confusion and frustration. I'll be happy to help where and if I can.

Hope this helps some.

BillSWPA
09-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Had a very sudden and unexpected need for a knife this evening . . .

We had just finished dinner, and the kids were supposed to be getting ready for bed, when we heard them screaming. My 8 year old son had managed to wrap the bow tie of a teddy bear around his left index finger, twisting it up in a way that made easy removal impossible. His finger was very noticeably swelling up, and the ribbon was tightly wrapped around his finger. While my wife called 911, I spent the next few minutes carefully working the tip of my Delica between the ribbon and his finger while his finger continued to visibly swell. After several tries, I finally got it off. The EMT’s arrived several minutes later and confirmed that everything was okay.

His teddy bear no longer has a bow tie so that this does not happen again.

Darth_Uno
09-02-2018, 08:01 PM
That's like the only time those little tiny scissors on a Swiss Army knife would've come in handy.

Duelist
09-02-2018, 08:34 PM
That's like the only time those little tiny scissors on a Swiss Army knife would've come in handy.

Mustache hairs (or other small facial hair) sticking out where they are not wanted.

BillSWPA
09-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Depends on the blade tip profile. I needed something very thin. If they are that thin, then they might be a good choice.

Chuck Whitlock
09-05-2018, 11:24 AM

Nice find.......if only they made a version for the Native.

Waved Enduras and particularly waved Delicas are very hard to beat as an EDC knife. The Spyderco version of the wave is gentler on pants and much more reliable than that he waved I have seen on most other waved knives.

I probably ought to just pony up for a couple of waved Delicas.......I just really like the blade profile of the 2 (Wal-Mart special) Natives that I already own that are set up for L+R carry. A wave opener would make them perfect.

Guerrero
09-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Curse you, Rob! Now I want to buy a waved Delica and pimp it out with Wise Men's "Signet Ring" and their aluminum scales.

Curse you!

BillSWPA
09-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Nice find.......if only they made a version for the Native.

I probably ought to just pony up for a couple of waved Delicas.......I just really like the blade profile of the 2 (Wal-Mart special) Natives that I already own that are set up for L+R carry. A wave opener would make them perfect.

Having two - one set up for each side - is the way to go. I just grab whichever one is set up for the side I need that day, depending on what else I am carrying where. On some days, it is both.