PDA

View Full Version : Resistance was futile, I have been assimilated...

EMC
02-24-2012, 08:49 AM
I have been assimilated into the Glock borg collective. I picked up a new Gen 4 19 with a factory date of 2/14/2012 (valentines day gun). It came with the 30274 ejector and 043 RSA. Appears to be the typical "dip" extractor that everyone mentions. Seems to move freely. First test firing will commence today at lunch with Winchester Ranger T 124gr +P and speer lawman 115gr, followed by some blazer aluminum if all goes well with the other ammo. I'll try to note ejection strength and pattern, but it will be tough in the narrow basement lanes, unless it's completely weak ejection.

(Note: I am not a high volume shooter so don't expect the 2000 round challenge results anytime soon, but I will try to keep a tally for the benefit of the curious).

JHC
02-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Great to see a brave soul. (our two have been superb btw). I'll be looking for the report. Thanks

TNWNGR
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I don’t think that you will be disappointed with the Gen 4 Glock 19 you’ve purchased. Of all the Glock’s I’ve owned, been issued or used the 19 is the most versatile. Unless I give a M&P 9 an extensive run test I’ll be purchasing a Gen 4 G-17 & G-19 this year to replace the ones I had.

SecondsCount
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Congrats.

Keep us updated with how it runs.

jstyer
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I just changed my gen3 19 glock direct purchase to a gen4 19... the mag release and smaller grip won me over. Hopefully luck is on my side! It will be in around march 10, and it should be brand new production so I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

ETA: grammar changes

EMC
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I just changed my gen3 19 glock direct purchase to a gen4 19... the mag release and smaller grip won me over. Hopefully luck is on my side! It will be in around march 10, and it should be brand new production so I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

ETA: grammar changes

That was my thought process as well. The grip texture was another pull. I figured if newer gen 3's were also experiencing some problems then I might as well gamble on the newer feature set. I also thought the smaller grip would be better for my wife's smaller hands. I will say that the backstrap pin design leaves something to be desired, especially on the install process. I'm sticking with no backstrap.

EMC
02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
First range session on my lunch break today went well, no surprises.
165 rounds were about all I could get through with my time constraints. All shot standing, no bench resting, ranges from 10 - 25 feet.

15 rounds Winchester Ranger T 124gr +P - Strong ejection to the right, stout consistent recoil, very tight cluster on the target (slightly left of bull), very accurate. Good ammo as expected.
100 rounds Speer Lawman 115 gr - Mostly strong ejection to the right, 2 shells back towards my head (right side of face), fairly accurate, wider pattern than Winchester T. Some inconsistencies in felt recoil.
50 rounds Blazer Aluminum 115 gr - Decent ejection to the right, marginal accuracy as expected, surprisingly no brass to the head. Shot 15 rounds each SHO, WHO. No problems.

Other notes: Transitioning from an FNP-40, this gun groups a bit higher and I had to adjust from covering the bull with my front dot (combat sight picture) to a center hold sight picture (covering bottom half of bullseye with front sight blade). I was still slightly high on most groups, so I wonder if a 6 o'clock hold for target shooting is appropriate with these sights or if it's just me getting used to the grip angle and trigger manipulation. On the left shooting, it's obviously too early to tell if I need to drift my sight, most likely the left groupings were trigger pull induced by me "milking" the grip.

I can see why folks like to relieve the bottom of the trigger guard to save your middle finger. Some definite friction on the knuckle in that spot but not horrifically so. I'll see how bad it is on a higher round count day to see if any action should be taken, or if I should just let the callous "glock finger" develop. The grip texture on this gun is excellent. I have chronically sweaty hands and it definitely helps. Night and day difference on getting a high tang grip on this gun versus a DA/SA FNP where the decocker would interfere with the high strong hand thumb.

Trigger was nice, didn't seem overly stiff or gritty (bearing in mind I only have a small sample size of friend's older glocks to compare with). Short take up, stout break, short reset. Good fun.

JHC
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Encouraging start.

jstyer
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I figured if newer gen 3's were also experiencing some problems then I might as well gamble on the newer feature set.

This. Also, glock is going to release the beaver tailed backstrap in the US and I'm anxious to try it out!

JHC
02-24-2012, 07:57 PM
And I've finally googled the "Borg collective" to understand what these references to the Glock Borg Collective were about. Hive mind huh? :D

EMC
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
And I've finally googled the "Borg collective" to understand what these references to the Glock Borg Collective were about. Hive mind huh? :D

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. We are 1 of 9. :)

From the wikipedia page:

"The Borg are a fictional pseudo-race of cybernetic organisms depicted in the Star Trek universe associated with Star Trek. The Borg use abduction and "assimilation" (enforced cybernetic enhancement, connection to the hive mind) as a means of "achieving perfection". [emphasis added]"

Don't worry I don't believe in the "perfection" marketing nonsense. Just thought it a funny coincidence. You have to admit some of the people over at GT forum can be hive minded at times.

JHC
02-25-2012, 06:12 AM
It is a funny coincidence. I'm going to use it to death now. It vaguely familiar from the old TV show.

TGS
02-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. We are 1 of 9. :)

From the wikipedia page:

"The Borg are a fictional pseudo-race of cybernetic organisms depicted in the Star Trek universe associated with Star Trek. The Borg use abduction and "assimilation" (enforced cybernetic enhancement, connection to the hive mind) as a means of "achieving perfection". [emphasis added]"

Don't worry I don't believe in the "perfection" marketing nonsense. Just thought it a funny coincidence. You have to admit some of the people over at GT forum can be hive minded at times.

Wow, very funny indeed!

EMC
02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
midweek dry fire observation report:

1. I love the grip texture on this gun. In comparison an FNP grip felt like a wet noodle. Carrying it in an IWB holster, I've had no problems with it being too aggressive and sticking to clothing or anything.

2. Trigger. I dropped a tiny bit of lube on the connector and it helped smooth things out a bit, there's still some copper anti-seize there. The short take up and hard break sort of remind me of a standard GI AR-15 trigger. That might be a good thing for my carbine skills or maybe it will ruin me, I don't know.

3. Glocks beat the hell out of snap caps. I already had to file down the mushroom effect on an azoom case mouth and the extractor chews the rim something fierce. I don't anticipate snap caps holding up like the pristine ones in a hammer fired gun that don't have to be jerked back each shot. No biggie, that's what they're there for.

4. Mag changes. Seems no better or worse than my old gun. No problems with the pinch yet.

5. Sights. Standard glock sights, nothing special. I'm going to stick with them for now and not waste time mulling over the myriad of aftermarket choices. I had regular 3 dot green trijicon night sights on the old gun and they sucked for me during daylight shooting. I see the advantage of switching out to steel sights, but the polymers do feel pretty stout.

I'll get to the range again on Thursday on my lunch break and see how session 2 goes.

EMC
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Lunchtime range trip #2 Report.

100 Rounds fired with observations:

- 50 Speer lawman 115gr - This stuff is loaded hot and leaves a ton of residue on the gun. Good ejection (as best as I can surmise in a narrow lane with walls). Groups are getting tighter as I get used to the trigger and it loosens up a bit. Dry fire between trips has helped a lot. No problems with ejection, all to the right just fine, no dribbling.

- 8 rounds Winchester (probably 115gr WWB). These were filler rounds in the box of 50 Blazer Aluminum I had traded with another shooter for some of my old .40 ammo, I consider them a nice bonus. No problems with ejection.

- 42 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum. Much more pleasant recoil (weaker ammo for sure). Did 5 rounds each SHO and WHO. Good ejection pattern. I wonder if the lightweight aluminum case helps with good ejection.

Summary:
No brass to the face = smile on my face.
Better groups = smile on my face.
Trigger smoothing out = smile on my face.
Good ejection patterns = smile on my face.

Another good bit of news is the new Apex extractor/ejector kit that is purported to be coming out very soon that is supposed to remedy ejection problems on bad guns (see thread on M4C). Knowing that some of these problems don't crop up until past the 1000 mark makes this news reassuring (assuming it can fix problem guns).

With only 265 rounds downrange, it's too early to celebrate, but it's looking darn good so far. Switching from .40 to 9mm in order to save money with practice ammo is going to come back and bite me as I'm having too much fun now.

JHC
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey that's off to a good start. We've got four with round counts from 2400 to 9500 and extractor issues have not developed with use. Nor have they in Todd's long term gun. So you shall see.

IIRC - your gun should have come with the "dot" connector. Do you anticipate changing that? We've gone to just "-" connectors in our Gen 4's and I think they feel close to Gen 3's with standard 5.5 but I'm not the most calibrated judge of trigger feels etc. I can tell one gun feels slightly different than the next in dry fire or slow fire. I can't really perceive it in any speed drill. Gen 4 G17 #2 has the nicest to my tastes. Smooth in take up and lightest and most crisp at the break. I would still WAG it's a little over 5 lbs.

EMC
03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Hey that's off to a good start. We've got four with round counts from 2400 to 9500 and extractor issues have not developed with use. Nor have they in Todd's long term gun. So you shall see.

IIRC - your gun should have come with the "dot" connector. Do you anticipate changing that? We've gone to just "-" connectors in our Gen 4's and I think they feel close to Gen 3's with standard 5.5 but I'm not the most calibrated judge of trigger feels etc. I can tell one gun feels slightly different than the next in dry fire or slow fire. I can't really perceive it in any speed drill. Gen 4 G17 #2 has the nicest to my tastes. Smooth in take up and lightest and most crisp at the break. I would still WAG it's a little over 5 lbs.

I might consider a switch in the future. I'm going to run the gun stock until I'm experienced enough with it to percieve any performance limitations. Kind of like the advice commonly given by Rob_s in regards to carbines (Just shoot the gun!). With all the options with glock it's very tempting to go crazy with immediate mods. I need to get a solid handle on this weapon first. Ignorance is bliss :).

jstyer
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
EMC, funny you should mention the 2/14/2012 production date... We just got 4 G19's at the store today and all 4 have that same test fire date. I guess glock was just feeling like shooting some G19's that day.

EMC
03-02-2012, 11:02 AM
EMC, funny you should mention the 2/14/2012 production date... We just got 4 G19's at the store today and all 4 have that same test fire date. I guess glock was just feeling like shooting some G19's that day.

I also noticed there are 2 test fire cartridges, aluminum case. Is 2 test firings normal for glock, or are they double testing everything now?

jstyer
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Good question... I'll change check this afternoon.

EMC
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Speaking of accessory disease, I did get a glockmiester grip plug since I'm not using any of the backstraps. Despite being expensive for what it is and does, it sure makes mag changes like butter! Fills that gap in a pleasing manner, looks nice.

jstyer
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Of the two remaining G19s I checked today, both had two test fire cases... interesting.

EMC
03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Of the two remaining G19s I checked today, both had two test fire cases... interesting.

Makes me wonder if that's a new standard of testing or if they've always done that.

EMC
03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
One minor annoyance with the mags. Floor plate removal. Holy hell it's hard to get the sides of the mag pinched in enough to release the floor plate tabs. I finally resorted to using a shop rag and some channel locks.
Not that I plan on field stripping mags often, but is there a trick to it? I would hate to crush a mag body with too much leverage, but I don't see a better method at this point.

secondstoryguy
03-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Glock floorplate removal is a huge PITA. I use one of these: http://www.mygtul.com/

EMC
03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Glock floorplate removal is a huge PITA. I use one of these: http://www.mygtul.com/

Outstanding! Thank you.

mongooseman
03-08-2012, 07:13 PM
My assimilation is nearly complete: G30sf two weeks ago and picked up a Gen3 17 today. Put 200 rounds of various FMJ thru it and was surprised with one stovepipe. Cleared it and continued. No further failure to do anything other than rain brass on my head and face. Really surprised at the ejection pattern and ran 20 rounds of Federal HST with the same results. Going to keep an eye on the round count to see if it works itself out. Other than being peppered with brass, the pistol was great to shoot. Assimilation will not be complete until a G21 and a G19 (or two) round out the battery.

John Ralston
03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Makes me wonder if that's a new standard of testing or if they've always done that.

The cases aren't to show it has been test fired, they are exemplars required by some states. They are put into a database with the gun's serial number so that in the event a casing is found at a crime scene they can compare it to all the ones in the database. Don't know why there are 2 though.

EMC
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
My assimilation is nearly complete: G30sf two weeks ago and picked up a Gen3 17 today. Put 200 rounds of various FMJ thru it and was surprised with one stovepipe. Cleared it and continued. No further failure to do anything other than rain brass on my head and face. Really surprised at the ejection pattern and ran 20 rounds of Federal HST with the same results. Going to keep an eye on the round count to see if it works itself out. Other than being peppered with brass, the pistol was great to shoot. Assimilation will not be complete until a G21 and a G19 (or two) round out the battery.

On the G17 what RSA and ejector do you have (0-4-3 and 30274)? Also what ammo?

JV_
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
On the G17 what RSA and ejector do you have (0-4-3 and 30274)FWIW: 0-2-4 is correct for the Gen4 17 , the 0-4-3 is for the 19.

EMC
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
On the G17 what RSA and ejector do you have (0-4-3 and 30274)? Also what ammo?

Sorry, failed to notice it's a gen 3 17. I have heard they've been installing 30274 ejectors on newer gen 3's as well.

EMC
03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
FWIW: 0-2-4 is correct for the Gen4 17 , the 0-4-3 is for the 19.

Thanks for that correction, yes of course the 17 would need a longer RSA.

mongooseman
03-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for that correction, yes of course the 17 would need a longer RSA.

Thou speakest Greek to me, stranger! All kidding aside, would this be attributed to the RSA or the ejector?

EMC
03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Thou speakest Greek to me, stranger! All kidding aside, would this be attributed to the RSA or the ejector?

It's my understanding that Glock has been swapping ejectors with 30274 marked ejectors in problematic recent production gen 3 guns. You might want to give Glock a call if yours doesn't clear up. I wouldn't think on a Gen 3 the recoil spring assembly should matter.

mongooseman
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I put another 100 rounds thru it today. Only noticed about 4 that hit the ball cap. No other malfunctions. Really enjoying the gun.

EMC
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Another lunchtime range session today.

I put 100 rounds of 115gr Federal Champion through the gun this time. Out of all other ammo I've tried, I figured this would most likely invoke a stoppage. Nothing to report on the hardware, all 100 rounds fed and ejected fine, no face hits with the brass either. At this point I'm not concerned with the hardware.

Now on to the software:
For the first time I tried the Dot Torture drill. I managed only a 35/50, ouch! Oh well, gotta start somewhere and thanks to Todd's post about treading water I now have a baseline to work with. My self-analysis is that the dots where I was drawing and/or reloading psyched me into going too fast. Must be a dry fire scar.

I also tried some dry runs of the FAST target (not timed) at 7 yards just to see how it looks at that distance. That 3X5 section is pretty small! When I took my time I could make the hits. Either I would hit my 2 3X5 shots and miss some of the 4, or I would miss my 2 and hit all 4. I think now that I know what that's about I can work on slow accuracy and work up to speed.

This has also given me the idea to use the dot torture target as a dry-fire target on the wall for aiming reference.

jstyer
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Just picked up my Gen 4 G19. Test fire date of 3-15. I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes.

EMC
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Just picked up my Gen 4 G19. Test fire date of 3-15. I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes.

Congrats, hope it runs well for you.

jstyer
03-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Just picked up my Gen 4 G19.

And a few hours later, my first G19 blood blister. Thanks Obama...

EMC
03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
And a few hours later, my first G19 blood blister. Thanks Obama...

Mag change pinch?

jstyer
03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Yup mag change pinch.

Shot the first 200 rounds of Aguila today through the Gen 4 G19, the gun functioned flawlessly and ejection was consistent. So that's good news.

Bad news...

http://img.tapatalk.com/636e2ba3-664e-2063.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/636e2ba3-6659-a0a8.jpg

I have Neanderthal gorilla hands and I guess I'm gonna need a grip force adapter.

EMC
03-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Yup mag change pinch.

Shot the first 200 rounds of Aguila today through the Gen 4 G19, the gun functioned flawlessly and ejection was consistent. So that's good news.

Bad news...

[IMG]

[IMG]

I have Neanderthal gorilla hands and I guess I'm gonna need a grip force adapter.

Yeouch! A little too much web ripple going on there apparently. I hear that blood mixed with copper anti-sieze lubes the slide really well. You should be good for another couple hundred rounds now. :)

EMC
04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Range day today. 130 rounds (50 S&B, 80 Feb Champ) No stoppages, no face hits. Everything is functioning fine.
This makes 495 total through the gun so far with no stoppages.

Dot torture test #2. Increased my score to 38 after 2 weeks of dry fire (took it twice scored the same each). That's only an increase of 3 hits from 2 weeks ago. <sigh>. On the bright side, my strong hand and weak hand only scores/groups improved greatly, so the practice must not have been completely in vain. Assuming this improvement is perfectly linear, in a mere 2 months I should be rockin' that test. ;)

JHC
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Yup mag change pinch.

Bad news...

http://img.tapatalk.com/636e2ba3-664e-2063.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/636e2ba3-6659-a0a8.jpg

Are you using the Large grip adaptor? I have longish fingers but not a bulky hand and I like the performance with the Large adaptors but I get sawed on when I do. But not with Medium or no grip adaptor.

jstyer
04-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by grip adapter I'm assuming you mean backstrap. The above pics were with no backstrap and also no Grip Force Adapter. However, since then secondstoryguy was a complete and total hero and mailed me a gen 3 Grip Force Adapter. So currently I'm running GFA and medium backstrap.

JHC
04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by grip adapter I'm assuming you mean backstrap. The above pics were with no backstrap and also no Grip Force Adapter. However, since then secondstoryguy was a complete and total hero and mailed me a gen 3 Grip Force Adapter. So currently I'm running GFA and medium backstrap.

Yes I meant the glock supplied backstrap. The GFA will do the trick I'm sure. I didn't realize they could be attached over the Gen 4 backstraps. Good deal.

EMC
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Received a pair of Kytex (http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/glock/glock-192331-mag-carrier/) mag pouches in the mail yesterday. Very impressive slim design. Not much bigger than the mag and take up very little belt real-estate. Hopefully they prove to be durable long term.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8004/img6883c.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1398/img6882x.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8701/img6881r.jpg

EMC
04-14-2012, 09:45 PM
This thread has become sort of a training journal for me as well as documenting my G19 GEN 4 experiences.

I ran the gun in a defensive pistol class (1 day) today. I ended up expending 198 rounds of speer lawman 115 gr. Gun shot very well. I had 2 user induced stoppages, 1 was intentionally set up by the instructors in a malfunction drill, and 1 induced by my own stupidity (thumb got in the way of the slide on an attempted (2 handed) support hand barricade shoot and caused a FTE. This hurt and bled a lot. "Menos efficaz!".) I had no brass even close to ejecting towards my head. Speer lawman 115gr is hot and that probably helps.
This makes 693 total through the gun with no mechanically induced stoppages.

I was most pleased with the performance on the accuracy drills, dry fire practice is paying off on the stock dot connector and groups are tightening up. I feel more confident with this gun than my prior SA/DA in .40 and quick follow-up shots are easier to keep on target.

I also ran my new kytex mag pouches. They ran great on a thicker nylon instructors belt. No problems with them sliding around.

jstyer
04-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Just got done with an AFHF which brings my Gen4 G19 total to 1250... Still zero malfunction.

EMC
04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got done with an AFHF which brings my Gen4 G19 total to 1250... Still zero malfunction.

Nothing like an AFHF class to get your round count up quick! Good to hear. How was the accuracy for you?

EMC
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Just saw this on pistol-training.com: "jstyer (5.76)" FAST Wall of fame. Nice job!

jstyer
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks brother. Thay was my one run where stuff came together.

Due to having to leave a little early I had to shoot my final run right after shooting 12x12 steel plates at 8 yards on the move. My transitioning from 12x12 steel at 8 to 3x5 at 7 proved to be a total disaster. I dropped both heads... But that being said, the glock seemed plenty accurate and when I took my time it turned in some solid groups. I hope to shoot it for measured groups at 25 yards this weekend. I'll update accordingly.

jstyer
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Ran 350 rounds through the 19 yesterday with JodyH... function was 100%, but I had about three rounds hit my hat brim or forearms upon ejecting. That's new... and hopefully not indicative of a looming issue!

EMC
04-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Ran 350 rounds through the 19 yesterday with JodyH... function was 100%, but I had about three rounds hit my hat brim or forearms upon ejecting. That's new... and hopefully not indicative of a looming issue!

So you're about 1700-1800 rounds now right? Have you removed the extractor for any cleaning at all or are you doing the 2000 round test?

jstyer
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Ha... I hadn't even thought about the 2000 round challenge. But now that you mention it, I think I'll go for it.

I am at exactly 1800 rounds as of today.

When I got the gun I lubed it up with Mpro7 and didn't even wipe off the anti-seize. I have yet to dismantle the slide and the extractor has never been cleaned. After another few hundred rounds I'll probably pull out the extractor assembly and see if I can spot any crud.

JodyH
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Don't forget the inadvertent unexplained mag ejection.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

jstyer
04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Ahhhh!!! Yes... this has actually happened to me twice. It happened once at AFHF and again on Saturday. When I was really pushing for fast splits the magazine dropped out of the gun. This happened once in the triple nickel drill around the fifth shot, and once when we were running an actor/reactor drill at AFHF.

I need to try and replicate it, because at this point I'm not sure if it's my grip, the mag release, or my failure to seat the magazine.

EMC
04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Did a 3x5 drill 6 rounds each at 3,5,7,10,15,20 yards respectively on my lunch break today. I did ok out to 7 yards and then completely fell apart with my fundamentals on the longer distances. I also had extra sweaty hands today which didn't help my cause. I only got 73 rounds down range and called it quits. Gun functioned fine and is at 766 total.

EMC
05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Ran the gun in a local USPSA match with ErnieB today. Gun ran great, no malfunctions and ejection was fine. 145 rounds of Speer lawman and 34 Blazer Aluminum. All 115 grain.
My gun is at 945 rounds total.

ErnieB
05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Ran the gun in a local USPSA match with ErnieB today. Gun ran great, no malfunctions and ejection was fine. 145 rounds of Speer lawman and 34 Blazer Aluminum. All 115 grain.
My gun is at 945 rounds total.

EMC,

Good to meet you and shoot with ya' buddy!! Hopefully, we get to do that more often and get the round count up on your new G19! Hit me up anytime you have some free time and want to shoot. I will ping you when I plan on getting together with Brian Gilmore and having a practice session at the Davis range.

EMC
05-06-2012, 01:39 PM
EMC,

Good to meet you and shoot with ya' buddy!! Hopefully, we get to do that more often and get the round count up on your new G19! Hit me up anytime you have some free time and want to shoot. I will ping you when I plan on getting together with Brian Gilmore and having a practice session at the Davis range.

Roger that!

EMC
05-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I forgot to mention that I lightly hand polished the connector, trigger bar, firing pin plunger top, and striker connecting surfaces this week. Maybe it's all placebo, but it seems a bit smoother with the dot connector now. No discernable drop in pull weight.

I also sent a spring cup into orbit on reassembly. Miraculously it hit the ceiling and landed back on my cleaning mat. I'm ordering spares.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

EMC
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Jstyer, any updates on reaching the 2000 round mark and any more recent issues with face hits or unexplained mag ejections?

jstyer
05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes siree... I'm at 2450 and I haven't noticed as many face hits lately. However, the magazine has inadvertently dropped 3 more times so I'm thinking I'll try switching back to the stock magazine release.

EMC
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Yes siree... I'm at 2450 and I haven't noticed as many face hits lately. However, the magazine has inadvertently dropped 3 more times so I'm thinking I'll try switching back to the stock magazine release.

Were you running the new Vickers release?

EMC
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Today I noticed something peculiar on one of my digits. A nice little callus developing. I'm happy for the glock finger because it means I've been consistent in dry fire practice.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3731/img7103u.jpg

jstyer
05-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Haha there you go! I've always had caluses there from the gap on AR's... so I never really got the glock caluses.

As far as the mag release goes, yes, it was the Vickers model.

EMC
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Ran the dot torture test at lunch break today. 68 rounds. 50 dot torture and 3 un-timed FAST runs. Increased my DT test to 45. Frustrating not to clear it yet, but at least there is some incremental improvement.
I got dinged by 1 sellior & bellot brass square to the forehead. This makes 1013 rounds with about 3 or 4 head shots total.

Edit: Checked DT target again. It was actually a 45, not a 44.

jstyer
05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
What yardage are you shooting dot torture at?

EMC
05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
What yardage are you shooting dot torture at?

Only 3 yards man. I won't move it out further until I can clean it. I'm still in the noob category. I also have poor test taking skills. :mad:

EMC
06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
USPSA match again today. 168 rounds, no stoppages, no face hits and good strong ejection. I'm getting anxious to try some different sights. I think the white outline on the rear sight is somewhat distracting. I think I will probably go with an orange CAP front and regular operator rear (not the pro) with yellow inserts.
Total rounds: 1181

JHC
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
USPSA match again today. 168 rounds, no stoppages, no face hits and good strong ejection. I'm getting anxious to try some different sights. I think the white outline on the rear sight is somewhat distracting. I think I will probably go with an orange CAP front and regular operator rear (not the pro) with yellow inserts.
Total rounds: 1181

I just added a 4th set of orange Trij HDs to another Glock. I try to resist but . . . . Great all around site. And because my fav LGS keeps them in stock . . . The CAPs sound really great too.

I've seen some very good shooting done with those Glock OEM sights but in addition to all their other plastic shortcomings; that white outline on the rear is very distracting IMO also.

Tony Muhlenkamp
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
+1, bought a G17 and G19 from a friend yesterday; less than 5k rounds through each and I figure they will be good for life. Not sure they will replace 1911 as carry; but will help bring new shooters to the range and teach my girls to shoot.

Plus, I don't have to clean them. :0

EMC
06-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Took the plunge and ordered up the Ameriglo orange CAP front and pro operator rear (yellow tritium). Ernie, I'm going to need to borrow your sight pusher when these come in.

I decided the small amount of extra sight radius on the pro op rears made them seem worth it.

SGT_Calle
06-15-2012, 05:38 AM
I went ahead and priced a G34 today to start getting into some competition and some classes. Right now my HK45c is my only pistol. I'll probably get my LGS to order the glock next week. Until then, I've got a set of Heine sights and a LEM kit coming in the mail for the HK.

jstyer
06-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Took the plunge and ordered up the Ameriglo orange CAP front and pro operator rear (yellow tritium). Ernie, I'm going to need to borrow your sight pusher when these come in.

I decided the small amount of extra sight radius on the pro op rears made them seem worth it.

Haha I just did the same... :)

EMC
06-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Haha I just did the same... :)

Hive mind!

jstyer
06-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Mine came in Wednesday... I really like them, but odly enough the rear pro operator notch measures .164 on the calipers instead of .180 and I know my tool is calibrated... Ameriglo apologized and just said that if I try them and want the correct size notch, just send them back and they'll get them swapped.

I was told that they made a short custom run of .165 pro operators, and I just may have gotten one of those sights by mistake.

EMC
06-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Mine came in Wednesday... I really like them, but odly enough the rear pro operator notch measures .164 on the calipers instead of .180 and I know my tool is calibrated... Ameriglo apologized and just said that if I try them and want the correct size notch, just send them back and they'll get them swapped.

I was told that they made a short custom run of .165 pro operators, and I just may have gotten one of those sights by mistake.

Interesting! Not sure if I would be disappointed with that or not. I'll have to get the calipers out and check it when they come.

EMC
06-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Got my new sights installed. CAP front, Pro Operator rear. Calipers show the advertised dimensions. There is plenty of light around the front sight. I'm very interested to see how these shoot this week. I have really long arms and at full extension the stock sights let no light gap at all around the front sight.

EMC
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
135 rounds at lunch today to test out the new sights. No ejection problems. Still getting used to the extra wide pro op rear, but it is an improvement over stock.
Shot all WWB 115gr. One round would not go into battery because the case length was about 2-3mm over length compared to the other brass. Made me nervous looking at that slide sitting out of battery and then I thought to check the ammo and sure enough. The OAL of the cartridge was normal, but with the bullet obviously seated deeper in an over-length case.

1316 rounds total with no gun caused malfunctions.

No real surprise on finding a bad round in the WWB ammo:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9214/img7339y.jpg

EMC
07-14-2012, 03:46 PM
100 Rounds of WWB 115 gr at a steel target demo after my RO shift. One slide lock back failure on empty. unsure if it was my thumb or the slide lock spring. Good ejection, 1416 total.

Bluedog
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Reading your posts made me pulled out my boxes to check.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - Fired date 7/1/10 - two fired cases
Glock 26 Gen 4 - Fired date 6/4/12 - two fired cases

daltona117
07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Started drinking the Glock Kool-Aid about a year and some change ago. They keep multiplying! Not sure how a Gen3 19 turned into a Gen4 19 and spawned a G34 and a G20! :D

EMC
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I put another 200 rounds through the G19 gen4 today. It has been a long time due to vacations and recent work changes. Ran dot torture and scored a 44 and shot at other various dustances.The gen 4 continues to run great. No face hits from brass. Ejection continues to be consistent. I'm not super confident that my sights are right on. At 25 yards I was really struggling with hits going about 6 inches left, but at shorter distances it is less pronounced. I need a more experienced shooter to test it.
1616 rounds total.