PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 46 Model, rotating barrel vs tilt lock design

Lost River
08-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Friends,

Forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere, and if it is, we can detonate this thread.

I saw on another site that Glock has created a new Model 46. Apparantly it is similar in many aspects on the bottom end, but on the top end, it is no longer following the traditional Browing tilt-lock design that has been the standard since, Browning created Heaven and Earth, the Auto-5 and the Colt Woodsman (yes I know my timelines are not period correct, but you get the point, the man was/is the Supreme Being of the Firearms Universe).

Anyways they have applied for patents, but no word on if and when it will ever come here. I am curious to see where this will take Glock, and how this model stacks up against the Models 17 and 19 (accuracy, and long term durability wise), which to be honest have become a standard by which all other polymer guns are judged in the last 25 years.

Cheers!

HCM
08-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Friends,

Forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere, and if it is, we can detonate this thread.

I saw on another site that Glock has created a new Model 46. Apparantly it is similar in many aspects on the bottom end, but on the top end, it is no longer following the traditional Browing tilt-lock design that has been the standard since, Browning created Heaven and Earth, the Auto-5 and the Colt Woodsman (yes I know my timelines are not period correct, but you get the point, the man was/is the Supreme Being of the Firearms Universe).

Anyways they have applied for patents, but no word on if and when it will ever come here. I am curious to see where this will take Glock, and how this model stacks up against the Models 17 and 19 (accuracy, and long term durability wise), which to be honest have become a standard by which all other polymer guns are judged in the last 25 years.

Cheers!

Short version - Glock did the rotating barrel to make a Glock 19ish gun which did not require pulling the trigger for disassembly which was a requirement for some big German police contracts.

This is similar to the various manual safeties Glock has done for foreign police and military contracts.

Lost River
08-26-2018, 03:12 PM
There was a thread here about it last year:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27752-Glock-46

and then another short thread about 6 months later:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?30244-Glock-46-Updates

I agree with BigT, I think we are unlikely to ever see/hear about it (officially) ever again.

Ahhhh!!

Anybody got a grenade then? No need to waste time and PF bandwidth.

:)

HCM
08-26-2018, 03:41 PM
While I don't doubt that some contracts have required disassembly without pulling the trigger, I do not believe first part of your statement. The rotating barrel has nothing to due with disassembly sans trigger pull. The 46 purportedly has many different features and design aspects, but not all of them are related or necessary for disassembly without pulling the trigger. The rotating barrel is not. The new striker assembly (or more correctly channel space sleeve) with apparently integral slide cover plate is.

If I had to guess, which of course I do since I have no insider information, the "lever" looking thing on the rear of the slide cover plate is operated (probably pushed down, towards the magwell, when the slide is locked to the rear) and that causes the slide cover plate to be unlocked from the slide. Which then allows for the entire striker assembly (with attached slide cover plate) to be easily removed from the slide. At that point the slide can be returned forward and removed from the frame without touching the trigger.

Again, I have no insider info and I'm just going by the various photos I've seen. I could very easily be wrong, but I'd bet a paycheck (if I still got paychecks) that I'm at least 95% correct. :cool:

So if they could put this in a conventional browning lock up Glock and eliminate pulling the trigger to disassemble why haven’t tney ?

WobblyPossum
08-26-2018, 03:57 PM
So if they could put this in a conventional browning lock up Glock and eliminate pulling the trigger to disassemble why haven’t tney ?

The cynic in me thinks that the lawyers told the engineers something to the effect of: “if we start selling guns that don’t require a trigger pull to disassemble, that’s a tacit endorsement to the idea that the trigger pull disassembly design was not safe and it will open us up to law suits.”

I heard a while back that this was basically the reasoning behind Glock never releasing the manual thumb safety guns to the US civilian market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamara
08-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Huh.

The P7, another design for German police use, also has a tool-less striker assembly removal.

BigT
08-27-2018, 05:08 AM
I have discussed off the record things and seen thing pre-release at GLOCK previously.

I've never seen a single 46 part nor got anything even resembling a comment on it.