PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Optics Poll

ASH556
08-24-2018, 08:46 AM
I'll be up front: This is mostly an academic exercise because due to my schedule with family, church, work, and kids soccer, I haven't been able to do any gun work in way too many months. That said, mental stimulation helps me stay somewhat connected.

I'd like to do a poll of AR optics by user. Most of the folks here are performance-focused and that translates to gear as well. There may be different missions/uses of the gun as well as certain agency requirements that push certain users one way or the other and I get all that, but would still like to see the data.

I'm keeping the fields simple on purpose because with optics (especially with LPV's) there is a lot of nuance. If you care to share your perspective or choice in more detail, then awesome. If you want to just vote, that's cool too.

Thanks,
ASH

BWT
08-24-2018, 10:35 AM
I use an Aimpoint H2.

Very pleased with it. I tried one of the Brownells RDS as a trial because I have astigmatisms to see if it made sense. Then went to an Aimpoint ML3. Then made the jump to an Aimpoint H2 in a Scalar works mount.

Very happy with it.

I just don’t shoot enough.

I’m interested in the LPV but they’re just cost prohibitive and my ranges are 100 yards and in.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Apologies - I meant Bushnell RDS.

CS Tactical
08-24-2018, 10:42 AM
For me it's a high quality LPV (Nightforce, Vortex Razor, Kahles, Swaro) or the latest revision of Aimpoint.

VT1032
08-24-2018, 11:01 AM
What about the Trijicon MRO? I've got to think there's at least a few people running those.

ASH556
08-24-2018, 11:08 AM
What about the Trijicon MRO? I've got to think there's at least a few people running those.

Non-starter. Folks running the MRO automatically disqualify themselves as valuable feedback.

Kidding (kind of).

Redhat
08-24-2018, 11:28 AM
My uses for a carbine are minimal since I'm retired and no longer carry one on a regular basis so I like the Aimpoint (Comp M2 in my case). It's what I know, I trust its reliability and until something comes along that is leaps and bounds better, I see no reason to change.

Beat Trash
08-24-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm using an Aimpont T-2 on my work gun and a T-1 on my spare. I do this because I can not use any magnified optics, to include a 3x magnifier. When I retire in a couple of years, I'll be swapping out the T-2 for a LVPO.

My son has an MRO on his rifle. Tp be honest, the more I use it, the more impressed I am with the MRO.

VT1032
08-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Non-starter. Folks running the MRO automatically disqualify themselves as valuable feedback.

Kidding (kind of).

What do you have against it? I have one on one of my AR's and it's worked fine, but I haven't exactly beat the piss out of it yet.

JRB
08-24-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm assuming this is a 5.56 AR variant of some kind.

Having been issued/trained on M68 CCO's (Aimpoint CompM4) and ACOG's, while still staying decent with irons - If I was dealing with 'one rifle for everything' I'd go with a free-floated 16 or 18in AR with a top shelf LPV and train from there.

But if it was indoor/door kicking sorts of stuff I'd want a 10.5-14.5" AR (preferably suppressed) and a latest-greatest Aimpoint. If I'm on a convoy out in the sticks or dealing with wide open spaces, I'm delighted to have an old 20in M16 with an ACOG on top.

EMC
08-24-2018, 12:05 PM
T2 with 3x magnifier on flip to side mount.
I can see the trend towards ffp variable optics taking over though.

ASH556
08-24-2018, 12:13 PM
What do you have against it? I have one on one of my AR's and it's worked fine, but I haven't exactly beat the piss out of it yet.

In fairness, I haven't owned one. I have looked through and shot with a few. My issues are:

- prevalent blue hue
- prevalent image distortion (fisheye)

Based on the fisheye, my guess is parallax would be exacerbated compared to an Aimpoint. This video seems to back up my hypothesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUBcewtUBpQ

momano
08-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Meprolight M21 because no batteries, no circuits, and works with my astigmatism

BillSWPA
08-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Currently using an Aimpoint ACO, and I am very happy with it.

Yes, I know, that isn't the most popular Aimpoint. At the time I bought it, I was able to get it for about $100 less than I would have paid for a PRO. Night vision and lens caps are irrelevant for my application. I did end up spending another $100 on a mount to lower the optic, but that mount has a quick detach lever, which I do not believe the mount on the PRO offers. I am also a big believer in buying the lowest priced product from the best manufacturer.

I have not yet tried an Eotech, ACOG, MRO, Meprolight, Vortex, Primary Arms, or any of the other currently popular optics. I have previously tried a C-More and an older (early 2000's) Trijicon Reflex sight. I was unable to shoot up to my normal performance level with the C-More, and found the older Reflex sight to be completely useless. The sight was heavily tinted, and I could not even see a standard 100 yard bullseye target at 100 yards when looking through this sight. With iron sights, I can see and hit that target.

I have not yet tried a LPV on an AR, but have one on another rifle. The weight of this scope is a definite negative, and the cost of many of the nicer scopes are simply not something I can justify given my current needs and priorities. One positive point: If I am not wearing glasses, I can turn the focus knob all the way to one side and see relatively clearly through the scope.

Casual Friday
08-24-2018, 02:47 PM
I voted Aimpoint since I have an H-1.

I've been running a Primary Arms advanced micro dot for almost a year and haven't been able to kill it on the Ulitmak on my AK.

Duelist
08-24-2018, 03:01 PM
I've got a 2-7 I've used on a 16" 6.8 upper that my son has hunted with, and it is now on a 20" 5.56 upper. I've used some red dots of various brands. I just seem to need some magnification these days, so a 1-4 or 2-7 work better for me.

cmbarny2
08-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Aimpoint PRO on my duty rifle and a Steiner p4xi (when it gets back from Steiner RMA) on my other. I'm planning on going to a Razor or maybe a Kahles on my duty rifle now that the p4xi has done what I needed it to and proved the concept of the LPVO to myself. I'll probably then move the p4xi to my third rifle which is currently without optics and my PRO to my shorty, or maybe I'll sell both and go with another Razor/Kahles and an ATACR. Haven't decided yet, but LPVO is my future, being able to use the magnification is great IMO.

Screwball
08-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Aimpoints... two PROs and a CompM4s. PROs are on my Tavor and 5.56mm AR (Spikes with AA piston, installed by Spikes). The CompM4s is on my D/I .45 AR (the PROs have those bumpers on them, so a little more protection on hard use rifles). I also have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, which I can mount behind all three (even though it wouldn’t be regularly used on the .45 AR, do get a more accurate zero with it).

I like having the magnifier, but it isn’t something regularly on my rifles (it is stored in the safe on my AR, though). If I know that I might be extending the range of my carbine out a little more than normal, I’ll toss it on. I personally don’t like magnification on my carbines. I rather get into an 18” AR before doing an actual scope (which I don’t call a carbine... my 18” AR has a 1.5-6x).

In ten years, when my eyes start getting worse (corrected pretty well, now), I’ll reconsider... but no issues non-magnified with carbines (within 200 yards). I am not a fan of the micro red dots. Prefer the larger tube diameter.

Darth_Uno
08-24-2018, 04:29 PM
I set out to build the lightest carbine I could and have an MRO on it. I gotta admit I like it, although I haven't beat the heck out of it either. It does what it's supposed to, can't complain. And I've not noticed any distortion, maybe I got lucky.

Mission drives the gear, I like ACOG for all purpose (although I've not owned one, just shot plenty) and Aimpoint for dedicated red dot.

No votes for Eotech? :cool:

BillSWPA
08-24-2018, 04:56 PM
As between tritium and battery, I will take battery powered. Replacing a battery is quick and easy. Occasional use of a ZTS tester ensures that the battery will work when needed. Tritium will eventually need to be sent away for multiple weeks for replacement when it gets dim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wake27
08-24-2018, 05:04 PM
I’ll hit the poll from a computer later, but optics is one of the few categories that I vary widely. I have three serious use ARs, and they all have completely different optics. My dedicated HD gun is also my wife’s primary AR gun, so I want it light, reliable, and always ready. It started with a T-1 but that was garbage with a magnifier so it now wears a T-2 on a Scalarworks mount. Biggest downside for me is that I don’t find the dot that bright, and I have to keep it at a lower setting than I’d prefer just to get the battery to last a year. Kind of a bummer for a $700+ red dot that’s all about magical battery life, but it serves the purpose better than anything else out there.

My primary gun has more capability, at the cost of additional weight. Right now it has a P4Xi in a Geissele mount. The Steiner has worked great and I’ve been very pleased with it, but like the member above, it was a test bed for me to see how I like the LPVO. It will be replaced by a Razor when I have the spending money for one. I wouldn’t be surprised if that combo becomes my undisputed favorite.

Currently though, my favorite is still the EXPS-3. I absolutely love the EOTech reticle, it’s the only one that is plenty bright between the two mentioned above and an RM06, and the EXPS never gave me an issue. Plus, it’s got a good balance between weight, capability (speed, brightness, durability, parallax, compatibility with magnifier, ease of use with NODs, etc), and price. Obviously it can’t stay constant on for 6-12 months but if it could, I doubt that I’d own a single Aimpoint. I’m willing to look past the other issues because of all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
08-24-2018, 05:27 PM
A lot of the patrol guys here use the Vortex Spitfire (not Strikefire). I like what I have seen of it and the Sparc 2. Are those not considered good optics? The Vortex AMG-UD or something like that looks interesting.

My only optic right now is a basic Sig ROMEO (rebranded Holosun) I snagged off a buddy new for $100, and that's not for duty or hard use, it's for casual plinking.

I have yet to buy a proper 500-800 option because I have bad eyesight and Aimpoint, the seeming leader in this department, has only red dots as far as I know. I tend to do better with a circle-dot or a holographic style.

I am also curious why the Trij MRO is not good. Isn't Trij usually pretty solid?

Malamute
08-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Do rifles count? I prefer the 20" rifles. The majority of AR shooting Ive done in the past 15 or so years has been rifles, and at 300-600 yards. An older Redfield 2-7 has been used the most, and while not super precise, was adequate for steel plates and rock plinking out to around 900 yards.

An older Leatherwood ART 3-9 scope based on a Weaver and using the external cam for ranging was workable on an older SP1 for prairie dogs at 300 yards and plinking to 600+. The auto-ranging was nice and fun to work with.

If it were in my budget, Id use a Leupold 2-7 on a rifle or 1-4 on a carbine at this point.

NH Shooter
08-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Do rifles count?

Scopes for rifles.

RDS for carbines and SBRs.

Irons for anything.

littlejerry
08-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Use case matters.

I'm a hobbyist and my sport of choice is biathlon/run and guns. I rarely shoot my rifle closer than 25 yards, but frequently play at 200-600 yards, and occasionally stretch a tiny bit farther out to 800.

No doubt red dots are fast inside of 100 yards, but I hate using them to try and shoot small things at distance. My current do-it-all setup is an NXS 2.5-10 with a piggyback micro red dot. It's by no means light, but I've also run a few 15 mile races with it on my back and didn't mind it much. If I was inclined to drop weight I'd look at my barrel first since it's a straight profile "medium" weight contour.

I typically use the MRDS 50 yards and in. Past 100 I typically use the NXS which lives at 2.5x unless I need more mag for long shots or small targets. Between 50 and 100 I'll use whichever optic I see first, which I guess sounds strange, but depending on the position I'm in sometimes one presents more naturally than the other.

StraitR
08-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Aging eyes = LPV. Yup, it's heavier, but as they (old guys) say, getting old ain't for pu$&ies.

KeeFus
08-24-2018, 08:04 PM
I own 2 Aimpoints; a PRO and a Comp M5. Both are great optics...my only gripe is that the PRO uses the 1/3N battery. I am still running the same AAA I originally put in the Comp M5 a year ago. I’m particularly impressed with the Comp M5.

Two of our guys have come in with a MRO. I played around with one of them and didn’t like the barely noticeable windage and elevation clicks when zeroing. It seemed like it was just too easy to turn and not enough resistance to keep them from turning on their own. Both MROs have been replaced with Aimpoints.

HCM
08-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Kidding (kind of).

FYI - I was an MRO hater when the first came out - too much blue tint and fisheye. recently at about serial number 89,000 Trijicon made an in-line change which really constitutes a “gen2” - short version the tint has been greatly reduced and the magnification has been reduced from about 1.3x to 1.1 greatly reducing the fish eye.

They are worth a second look if the price is right.

ASH556
08-24-2018, 09:50 PM
FYI - I was an MRO hater when the first came out - too much blue tint and fisheye. recently at about serial number 89,000 Trijicon made an in-line change which really constitutes a “gen2” - short version the tint has been greatly reduced and the magnification has been reduced from about 1.3x to 1.1 greatly reducing the fish eye.

They are worth a second look if the price is right.

Really good info. I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

HCM
08-24-2018, 10:11 PM
I am issued an Aimpoint H-1 with the factory LRP Mount. They work. The H-1’s have been significantly more durable and reliable than the EoTech 552’s they replaced.

I work with another agency which issues H-2’s and Romeo 4M’s. The H-2 has less tint and has a clearer, crisper dot for my eyes. I was impressed enough to buy an H-2 for my own use.

The SIG Romeo 4M has now been discontinued but it was basically a higher end / better QC Holosun parts kit assembled in the USA. Other than a few bad screws on some of the factory mounts the Romeo 4M’s have been great. No issues on over a year of field use.

The Rome4M is also clearer and has a crisper dot for me then the T1/H1, however, the best part of the Romeo 4M is the reticle can be switched to an improved EoTech style circle dot reticle. I say improved because one negative to the EoTech reticle was the circle and the 1moa dot were the same intensity so when you upped the intensity in bright conditions the dot would wash out. The center dot of the 4M reticle is brighter than the 65moa circle eliminating the issue and making a good reticle better.

I like this circle dot enough that I bought a new -old stock 4M off Arfcom. I also recently, picked up a Holosun “military model” which seems to be very similar to, if not the same as the 4M. I’m thinking about putting the military model on my Beretta 1301 via a CROM Mount just to see how it holds up.

SIGs optics people are mostly former Leupold employees and the Romeos use “Leupold-like” motion sensor tech to extend the battery life. There have been no issues I’m aware of with the 4M’s and I’ve had no issues with two of the cheaper ($100 ish) Romeo 5’s. The Romeo 5 has more tint and the dot is not quite as crisp as a T1/H1 but for the price I’ve been very impressed with them.

I have a couple ACOG’s. They have great glass but they are a fixed mag optic and more significantly they don’t have a diopter adjustment. This is ok if your user base is young soldiers and marines with good eyes. For me the diopter / focus adjustment is pushing me towards LPV vs the ACOG.

SamueL
08-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Aimpoint T1 on the patrol SBR and Aimpoint H1 on the "backup" patrol rifle.

When we were originally authorized to use red dots, our policy limited us to Aimpoint Comp2-4 and Micros, EOTech holographic, and Trijicon reflex. At the time, I already had the Micros. The department has since broadened the list of approved optics to include the Aimpoint PRO, numerous cheaper RDS options, and four questionable LPVs that were already discontinued when the list was finally published.

Maximum magnification is 4x across the board. I messed with an Aimpoint 3x but unmagnified works for me. I keep the magnifier in my patrol bag just in case.

I have thought about updating to the T2 and H2, respectively, but really can't justify the cost even with my astigmatism.

Department rifles are equipped with our old Aimpoint Comp3s and new PROs.

BarryinIN
08-25-2018, 12:02 AM
I’ve gone almost all LPV. However, if not for the astigmatism making red dots look like red splatters, there would be more of them.

Wake27
08-25-2018, 02:32 AM
I am issued an Aimpoint H-1 with the factory LRP Mount. They work. The H-1’s have been significantly more durable and reliable than the EoTech 552’s they replaced.

I work with another agency which issues H-2’s and Romeo 4M’s. The H-2 has less tint and has a clearer, crisper dot for my eyes. I was impressed enough to buy an H-2 for my own use.

The SIG Romeo 4M has now been discontinued but it was basically a higher end / better QC Holosun parts kit assembled in the USA. Other than a few bad screws on some of the factory mounts the Romeo 4M’s have been great. No issues on over a year of field use.

The Rome4M is also clearer and has a crisper dot for me then the T1/H1, however, the best part of the Romeo 4M is the reticle can be switched to an improved EoTech style circle dot reticle. I say improved because one negative to the EoTech reticle was the circle and the 1moa dot were the same intensity so when you upped the intensity in bright conditions the dot would wash out. The center dot of the 4M reticle is brighter than the 65moa circle eliminating the issue and making a good reticle better.

I like this circle dot enough that I bought a new -old stock 4M off Arfcom. I also recently, picked up a Holosun “military model” which seems to be very similar to, if not the same as the 4M. I’m thinking about putting the military model on my Beretta 1301 via a CROM Mount just to see how it holds up.

SIGs optics people are mostly former Leupold employees and the Romeos use “Leupold-like” motion sensor tech to extend the battery life. There have been no issues I’m aware of with the 4M’s and I’ve had no issues with two of the cheaper ($100 ish) Romeo 5’s. The Romeo 5 has more tint and the dot is not quite as crisp as a T1/H1 but for the price I’ve been very impressed with them.

I have a couple ACOG’s. They have great glass but they are a fixed mag optic and more significantly they don’t have a diopter adjustment. This is ok if your user base is young soldiers and marines with good eyes. For me the diopter / focus adjustment is pushing me towards LPV vs the ACOG.

I know a couple of local SWAT guys who have used some of the Sig optics for a little while and last I heard, were very pleased. It looked like they’d beat the hell out of them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03RN
08-25-2018, 04:54 AM
I put a rmr on my wife's g19 then on my shockwave and liked them so much I I got another 2 for an AR pistol and my go to carbine which replaced my aimpoint pro.

I use the carbine for 3 gun shoots and it's my normal training long gun.

Performance wise it's as good as the pro but way smaller and lighter.

CSW
08-25-2018, 07:45 AM
I voted ACOG, specifically the old school RX01NSN. Mine is very old, but works perfectly, even at night. Love the no battery part of it.

I also have and use an Aimpoint Comp M-XD on my old Bushmaster M4. I cannot even remember how old it is, but it is as old as the Bushmaster itself. It's on it's second battery, and while 'big', it too is ultra reliable. 3moa.

If I bought another optic tomorrow, I'd likely go to the ACOG again.

HCM
08-25-2018, 09:44 AM
I voted ACOG, specifically the old school RX01NSN. Mine is very old, but works perfectly, even at night. Love the no battery part of it.

I also have and use an Aimpoint Comp M-XD on my old Bushmaster M4. I cannot even remember how old it is, but it is as old as the Bushmaster itself. It's on it's second battery, and while 'big', it too is ultra reliable. 3moa.

If I bought another optic tomorrow, I'd likely go to the ACOG again.

The RX01NSN is made by Trijicon but it is not an ACOG.

I have a Comp M which I bought in 1998 - so 20 years ago. It’s still going strong. The primary difference between the Comp M and the M2 is the M2 can go a couple clicks brighter for bright conditions like bright sunlight plus snow or light colored desert.

texasaggie2005
08-25-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm now firmly in the LPVO /do all/ recce camp. I've only been in the AR game for 4 years, but I've experimented a lot to find out what I like and need for my uses.

Personally owned:
H1 > MRO gen1 > Trijicon 1-4 Accupower > T2 > MRO gen2 > TA31 ACOG > TA11 ACOG > CompM5 > Trijicon 1-6 Accupoint (current)

psalms144.1
08-25-2018, 10:50 AM
I've got an old T-1 on my personal carbine. On my work M4A1, which came without optics or BUIS, I'm running a personally owned Comp M4.

My experience with LPVO is limited to the older Elcans we had with our Mk17s, and, I wasn't all that impressed. When/if I ever get out of NY and have some disposable income available, I might dip my toe in those waters to see what's what, but for now, I'm sticking with plain old single dots.

As stated elsewhere, though there are now some very competent optics experts who have abused the snot out of current EoTechs and pronounced them duty worthy, I just couldn't bring myself to spend MY money on one. If I were issued one of the newest models, I'd mount it, zero it, test zero across a variety of temperatures, and, if it held steady, get on with work without worrying...

HCM
08-25-2018, 11:32 AM
I've got an old T-1 on my personal carbine. On my work M4A1, which came without optics or BUIS, I'm running a personally owned Comp M4.

My experience with LPVO is limited to the older Elcans we had with our Mk17s, and, I wasn't all that impressed. When/if I ever get out of NY and have some disposable income available, I might dip my toe in those waters to see what's what, but for now, I'm sticking with plain old single dots.

As stated elsewhere, though there are now some very competent optics experts who have abused the snot out of current EoTechs and pronounced them duty worthy, I just couldn't bring myself to spend MY money on one. If I were issued one of the newest models, I'd mount it, zero it, test zero across a variety of temperatures, and, if it held steady, get on with work without worrying...

Unless you are running NODS, the primary advantage of a EO is the reticle which is now availible in an Aimpoint micro form factor via SIG.

The ELCAN is kind of a platypus with some issues and not really representative of true LPV scopes.

PD Sgt.
08-25-2018, 12:56 PM
I have used all of the listed choices, Aimpoints in various forms, micro and full size, ACOGs in 1.5 and 4x, Eotech EXPS 2, and a Short Dot. I still have everything except the ACOGs on various uppers.

The reasoning for me is that while the glass and durability of the ACOG is amazing, they are fixed power, (losing flexibility) it is far cheaper to replace batteries than tritium, (convenient) and they are harder to adjust in various conditions. Everything else I can quickly adjust brightness or magnification if needed (I use a flip to side 3x). Some of this may change if my astigmatism worsens, but for now I am good with my choices.

Having said that, I have been spending an awful lot of time lately shooting my old A2 and irons.

Malamute
08-25-2018, 01:45 PM
I really like the A2 irons.

The 600 yard plate and various rocks farther out are still in trouble.

ragnar_d
08-25-2018, 01:46 PM
My go-to rifle since 2009 has been a 4MOA T1 equipped 16" AR (BCM Upper, lower pieced together by me). For what I've needed the gun to do, it has done what I needed it to do.

That said, as LPVOs have evolved and gotten better, I've been looking to dive into those. One AR that was put together as something of a 2-gun/3-gun/"Recce" rifle was topped with a Vortex PST 1-4x and it was a step up. I'm thinking that I'll be saving my pennies for either a Kahles 1-6 or the PST G2 1-6 and moving the red dots to my shorty builds.

JSGlock34
08-25-2018, 04:04 PM
I have a 2MOA Aimpoint T1/T2 on my respective AR15s, and an Aimpoint Comp M4 on my AUG. I tried to dip my toe in the LPV water, but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for me. I may revisit in the future.

I'd like to see EOTech sort themselves out and produce a EXPS 3-0 with a greatly extended battery life.

Wayne Dobbs
08-25-2018, 05:16 PM
I'd like to see EOTech sort themselves out and produce a EXPS 3-0 with a greatly extended battery life.

As long as they use a holographic display and a laser emitter they can't make that happen. That laser is always drawing on the battery no matter what the switch setting is. Aimpoint kills it on battery life by using LEDs for the emitter.

SoCalDep
08-25-2018, 09:53 PM
Aimpoint all day long. Simpler, more reliable, more repeatable, better battery life, tough as nails, and didn’t lie to the Federal Government and everyone who bought their stuff for years. I am aware of the real-world failures of “the other brand” and would never use one if I had the option of an Aimpoint.

I suppose I sound like a commercial... I just happen to have lots of Eotech experience followed by working really hard to get my department into something else which ended up being the H-2. I’m very happy about that.

Hizzie
08-26-2018, 09:04 AM
I have several Aimpoints but significant astigmatism pushed them to backup rifles. I run ACOG’s on my primary carbines. The training beater wears a TA33 3x30 green horseshoe 762x39 bdc and the social rifle wears a TA44 1.5x16 red circle dot (I couldn’t find a green one).

ragnar_d
08-26-2018, 10:44 AM
I have several Aimpoints but significant astigmatism pushed them to backup rifles.
This is my issue too. Every red dot I've messed with has been a starfish or nebula looking blob instead of a dot. On my ARs, I run the BUIS up and look through the aperture and that, along with actually wearing my glasses (grabby toddler + glasses = broken glasses), helps significantly.

That's one reason I'm hoping to play with some more LPVs . . . hope I can have my cake and eat it too.

That Guy
08-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Biggest downside for me is that I don’t find the dot that bright, and I have to keep it at a lower setting than I’d prefer just to get the battery to last a year. Kind of a bummer for a $700+ red dot that’s all about magical battery life

Um... This may be a stupid question so apologies. But isn't having an aiming reference that is bright enough more important than making a single battery last as long as possible? Why not just bump up the brightness on that red dot to where you want it, and change batteries twice a year (or however often required)?

Wake27
08-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Um... This may be a stupid question so apologies. But isn't having an aiming reference that is bright enough more important than making a single battery last as long as possible? Why not just bump up the brightness on that red dot to where you want it, and change batteries twice a year (or however often required)?

I'm still finding a balance. Obviously the dot being bright enough to be usable is the most important thing but the highest setting, where it seems to work best in normal daylight or when used with the WML, would require a battery change every six months. That's obnoxious to me because of how much the T-2 costs and the fact that I bought it thinking that I'd be able to keep it on for at least a year, if not longer. Since so many people claim to use the same battery for years, I've dropped the brightness setting on mine by one, to see if that works for me.

BehindBlueI's
08-26-2018, 05:23 PM
A lot of the patrol guys here use the Vortex Spitfire (not Strikefire). I like what I have seen of it and the Sparc 2. Are those not considered good optics?

I think they are fine for most uses. I like the etched reticle so even if the Vortex shits the bed it's usable. I have an Aimpoint for my work rifle, but Vortex on my in-house rifle and backup/training rifle.

Unobtanium
08-26-2018, 11:44 PM
I'm still finding a balance. Obviously the dot being bright enough to be usable is the most important thing but the highest setting, where it seems to work best in normal daylight or when used with the WML, would require a battery change every six months. That's obnoxious to me because of how much the T-2 costs and the fact that I bought it thinking that I'd be able to keep it on for at least a year, if not longer. Since so many people claim to use the same battery for years, I've dropped the brightness setting on mine by one, to see if that works for me.

I run a t2 on 10 or so with a wml. Maybe even 8 or 9. To need the full extra setting is...different. that's nuclear.

Wake27
08-27-2018, 05:23 AM
I run a t2 on 10 or so with a wml. Maybe even 8 or 9. To need the full extra setting is...different. that's nuclear.

I was wrong, my preferred setting would be 11. Its a little much in normal interior lighting but against a wall with the M300 on its perfect. Setting 10 works well in normal light but is a little more dim than I'd prefer against the WML. Aimpont CS sent me the following numbers last week: position 9 = 25,000. 10 = 12,500. 11 = 6,250. 12 = 3,125. I got less than six months of useable brightness on setting 11 which is why I dropped it down one.

This is only inside. Outside, I typically have to turn it all the way up from what I remember. I don't get to shoot a lot here but as I said, the EOTech is the only optic I've had that was plenty bright on the range. Must be the Hawaiian sun.

Unobtanium
08-27-2018, 06:53 AM
I was wrong, my preferred setting would be 11. Its a little much in normal interior lighting but against a wall with the M300 on its perfect. Setting 10 works well in normal light but is a little more dim than I'd prefer against the WML. Aimpont CS sent me the following numbers last week: position 9 = 25,000. 10 = 12,500. 11 = 6,250. 12 = 3,125. I got less than six months of useable brightness on setting 11 which is why I dropped it down one.

This is only inside. Outside, I typically have to turn it all the way up from what I remember. I don't get to shoot a lot here but as I said, the EOTech is the only optic I've had that was plenty bright on the range. Must be the Hawaiian sun.

I'm 32, 20/10, no aberrations. 11 is super bright and horrible. Like looking into a cash register scanner.
What is your age and vision, and have you seen other t2s?
This is just odd sounding to me.

drjaydvm
08-27-2018, 09:05 AM
I’m just a hobby shooter and I’ve settled on a TA44 green circle dot (I’ve said before that I don’t know why these aren’t more popular) on a Beretta ARX (not an accurate enough rifle to justify a LPVO), a Steiner T5xi on an accurate carbine that is good at distance, and an RMR on a 300blk pistol that would be used at short distances. All red dots are a comet to my 45 year old eyes, making etched reticles important to me.

Wake27
08-28-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm 32, 20/10, no aberrations. 11 is super bright and horrible. Like looking into a cash register scanner.
What is your age and vision, and have you seen other t2s?
This is just odd sounding to me.

27, vision has gone from 20/10 to 20/20 in the last few years but no issues like astigmatism or anything. I don't have another T2 to compare it to and have wondered at times if mine isn't as bright as it should be. The closest comparison I have is a type 1 RM06 which definitely looks brighter on the highest setting. Not sure how much of that is just because of the smaller window size and the massive blooming of the RMR, but my Aimpoint's setting 12 looks closer to my RMR's second highest setting, which I think is 7.

Unobtanium
08-29-2018, 01:47 AM
27, vision has gone from 20/10 to 20/20 in the last few years but no issues like astigmatism or anything. I don't have another T2 to compare it to and have wondered at times if mine isn't as bright as it should be. The closest comparison I have is a type 1 RM06 which definitely looks brighter on the highest setting. Not sure how much of that is just because of the smaller window size and the massive blooming of the RMR, but my Aimpoint's setting 12 looks closer to my RMR's second highest setting, which I think is 7.

I just took my H2 (which looks the same to me as the T2's I've owned), and aimed it against the wall. I lit it up with my M300C 500 lumen, M600C 500 lumen, and X300U 500 lumen. 1.25m away. White wall, with matte texturing. Setting 9 looked great. 10 was like a beacon, 11 and 12 were a "bit much". If I were to choose a setting for that situation (as quirky as it was), I'd pick 9.

Bucky
08-29-2018, 06:05 AM
In the past few previous 3 gun matches, I’ve been frustrated with my so called “competition” rifle. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but I just didn’t connect with it. So the last match I took my hobby / HD 16” AR, standard collapsible stock and all. It has an Aimpoint Pro on it. There is no magnifier, but I knew the furthest shot was only 200 yards. It was the best rifle shooting I’ve done the date. Loved it so much, I’m thinking of setting up a new competition AR with Aimpoint Pro and a Magnifier.

On a side note, I also learned I prefer 2 stage triggers.

rob_s
08-29-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm a pretty long-time Aimpoint user by modern standards I suppose. I'm pretty sure my first one was a Comp M2 in ~2002 or so (and I think I still have that optic on one rifle).

For a strictly defensive purpose, excluding rare personal situations where people feel they have a need to defend themselves at 100+ yards across the plains, I don't see a need for anything else. I do prefer the 30mm tube to the "micros" only because I find them more forgiving of head position. I do not believe either to be truly parallax free, but nor do I think the amount of parallax when viewing the 30mm Aimpoint from a non-ideal head position matters in any scenario I can envision.

That said, I can easily envision a potential need for better target ID even at relatively close range, or simply using the rifle for "spotting" in the absence of a set of binos or spotting scope. I'm just not sure I'm willing to sacrifice the money, weight, bulkl, and what I perceive as a more difficult learning curve to go to a LPV. I have considered, and may yet revisit, a magnifier paired with an H2. The H2 obviously uses my non-preferred "micro" tube size but if adding the magnifier I think I might find it worth it relative to weight.

Anecdote:
When I used to organize a monthly training event for some friends we often did a "cold shot" where we ran a scenario-ish drill with the gun you had on you and the ammo in it. A couple of times we did this with whatever "home defense" gun we kept at the ready. Mine was my suppressed AR wearing that old M2, and when my time came to shoot and I pulled the trigger on the first target, the dot went out. I finished the stage with all targets at "indoor distance" and using only the tube I had no issue keeping all my shots in the upper half of the body A-zone on a USPSA target, and avoiding "no shoots" in the process. that kind of helped sell me.

FWIW, it turns out that after 15 years Aimpoints too can have issues compressing the springs just like an old Eotech. This was ultimately shown to be the cause of my Aimpoint's failure.

LittleLebowski
08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
I've gone Primary Arms. I know...

jbrimlow
08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
I have a strong preference for LPVs if I have a good one. My favorite carbine has a Vortex Razor II-E, and I love that thing. The body really seems to disappear on 1x, and it's about as bright as I could want. This is coming from a hobby shooter who prefers run-and-gun stuff.

StraitR
08-31-2018, 07:08 PM
LittleLebowski LOL, that pic is great.

CSW
08-31-2018, 08:28 PM
The RX01NSN is made by Trijicon but it is not an ACOG.

I have a Comp M which I bought in 1998 - so 20 years ago. It’s still going strong. The primary difference between the Comp M and the M2 is the M2 can go a couple clicks brighter for bright conditions like bright sunlight plus snow or light colored desert.
Mine has ACOG embossed in the aluminum?

HCM
08-31-2018, 08:50 PM

That’s weird. Its a reflex sight. It was the SOPMOD reflex sight before the first Comp M / M68.

Redhat
09-01-2018, 08:40 AM

That's interesting! You sure it doesn't say "TA01NSN"?

Got a picture of it?

***Disregard*** I went back and found the picture you posted. Maybe they used the same base?

littlejerry
09-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Best meme I've seen in a while.

I get that they aren't Aimpoints. But I've seen so many in circulation (due to the price) and haven't personally seen any failures on the more recent gens(last few years) from some pretty high volume shooters. None of these people are dropping them on concrete or throwing them off 2nd story balconies, but for "normal" hobby use they are brilliant and seem to get you 95% of the Aimpoint for less than half the price. Plus the ACSS reticle is pretty awesome.

CSW
09-01-2018, 01:11 PM
That's interesting! You sure it doesn't say "TA01NSN"?

Got a picture of it?

***Disregard*** I went back and found the picture you posted. Maybe they used the same base?

Pic....

Disregard the dryer in the background.... :rolleyes:

Drang
09-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Speaking which: Back in stock. Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII (https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-micro-dot-with-removable-base?trk_msg=I345SUMTU5Q41EDSU93HOH7GF8&trk_contact=MPTUIVDG2LN9BHF0SB677JJ0OS&trk_sid=N7Q739UEJVQ0TJI9STEQ5V5C9S&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=BANNER_1&utm_campaign=18_09_Ad_01_MD-RDGII-Release)

StraitR
09-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Everyone knows the laundry room is best late night photo studio.

Redhat
09-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Pic....

Well you learn something every day!

Lost River
09-01-2018, 06:00 PM
How about "anything but a POS Eotech"

While I overseas I personally saw so many Eotechs fail I will only recommend them to the enemy.

I run a Aimpoint PRO on my 10.5" gun that I use for work. It is primarily used around vehicles, and such rarely anything static in nature so it makes sense for the role.

Additionally, have an older TAO1 with the original crosshair reticle (still like it best, especially for hitting at extended ranges) on my lightweight all around 16" Colt carbine. These did not come with mounts, so I had one custom built to mount an RDO. It is a very practical setup.

http://i.imgur.com/heYopHm.jpg (https://imgur.com/heYopHm)

Overseas I ran an illuminated Leupold 1.5-5 with covered turrets and considered it to be about ideal during that time.

http://i.imgur.com/EWmBknd.jpg (https://imgur.com/EWmBknd)

These days if I was in the market for an all around optic for a RECCE type rifle, I would buy a low powered variable in the 2.5-10 range (MIL/MIL reticle and turrets) and add an RDO on top. More likely than not a Nightforce 2.5-10.

Buy once, cry once. Be done.

El Cid
09-01-2018, 06:34 PM
If I am only permitted one optic to do everything it will be a LPV. Specifically the Z6i 1-6.

Without a quality LPV, give me an Aimpoint.

https://i.imgur.com/VzjDscZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

littlejerry
09-01-2018, 09:45 PM
How about "anything but a POS Eotech"

While I overseas I personally saw so many Eotechs fail I will only recommend them to the enemy.

I run a Aimpoint PRO on my 10.5" gun that I use for work. It is primarily used around vehicles, and such rarely anything static in nature so it makes sense for the role.

Additionally, have an older TAO1 with the original crosshair reticle (still like it best, especially for hitting at extended ranges) on my lightweight all around 16" Colt carbine. These did not come with mounts, so I had one custom built to mount an RDO. It is a very practical setup.

http://i.imgur.com/heYopHm.jpg (https://imgur.com/heYopHm)

Overseas I ran an illuminated Leupold 1.5-5 with covered turrets and considered it to be about ideal during that time.

http://i.imgur.com/EWmBknd.jpg (https://imgur.com/EWmBknd)

These days if I was in the market for an all around optic for a RECCE type rifle, I would buy a low powered variable in the 2.5-10 range (MIL/MIL reticle and turrets) and add an RDO on top. More likely than not a Nightforce 2.5-10.

Buy once, cry once. Be done.

Word.

Lost River
09-02-2018, 08:31 AM
My Friend,

You suck!

Seriously though, that is perfect.

Grin.. :)

1986s4
09-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I really like the A2 irons.

The 600 yard plate and various rocks farther out are still in trouble.

I like shooting irons too but I also have an Aimpoint Pro. Last time I tried to shoot irons out to 300m the steel target I was shooting at was invisible to my eyes. Now my eyes aren't what they used to be but they aren't that bad. By the time I got to shoot the stage the paint had been beaten off of it. Yet other guys after me were able to see and make hits. So after the match I changed from my regular ballistic spec shooting glasses [Smith Ignitor lenses] back to my Oakley driving glasses and lo and behold, I could see the target again!

Sorry for the thread drift but do you use the standard A2 front sight post?

Malamute
09-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Sorry for the thread drift but do you use the standard A2 front sight post?

Yes, standard sight parts so far. I think there are some match sight posts that are thinner, and may be worthwhile for longer distance irons shooting, but its been a long while since I looked into it and didnt end up changing anything so long as I could muddle along with the regular parts. I also havent been shooting much the past few years, I may feel different when I get more active.

M2CattleCo
09-13-2018, 06:40 PM
I keep an AR for HD and really can't fathom any situation that would require taking a shot at anything over 50 yards or so.

I have an Aimpoint Comp M5 on a lower 1/3 QD mount with Daniel Defense irons. I like being able to pop the optic off if it fogs up, gets dirty, or is raining.

I was shooting the irons yesterday and I can tell I'm closer to 40 now, vs the closer to 20 I was when I started shooting these things. I don't know what I'll do if I get to where I can't shoot an Aimpoint anymore. I really dislike LPVs at close range.

StraitR
09-15-2018, 11:32 AM
M2CattleCo I was all Aimpoint until I started having the similar vision challenges. My vision isn't "bad", and still don't wear corrective vision (I do enjoy .25 readers) but it's certainly not what it was in my 20's or even 30's. After crossing into my 40's, the slow decline has been noticeable, and drove me (along with a pre-existing astigmatism) to go LPV. Frankly, I despise the added weight, but the clarity of a Razor Gen II-E is on a whole different level, even on 1x. To me, the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

1986s4
09-15-2018, 12:10 PM
M2CattleCo I was all Aimpoint until I started having the similar vision challenges. My vision isn't "bad", and still don't wear corrective vision (I do enjoy .25 readers) but it's certainly not what it was in my 20's or even 30's. After crossing into my 40's, the slow decline has been noticeable, and drove me (along with a pre-existing astigmatism) to go LPV. Frankly, I despise the added weight, but the clarity of a Razor Gen II-E is on a whole different level, even on 1x. To me, the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

I took my Aimpoint off when the dot started looking like a fuzzy delta and the irons where OK. But since removing my Aimpoint I got my eyes examined and a new prescription. So on a whim I fired up the unused Aimpoint and viola! The dot is back to being a slightly fuzzy dot! So back on it goes... Nice to have both options again, the Aimpoint and the Daniel Defense A1 rear.

M2CattleCo
09-15-2018, 12:41 PM
I've used LPVs in the past, Nightforce 1-4s, and recently an ATACR 1-8. On 1X the dot blooms horribly and I get a double image trying to shoot it on 1X. It's better during the day, but the majority of my training is at night.

rathos
09-15-2018, 02:53 PM
I use H2 or T2 Aimpoints only because magnified optics are "only for SWAT snipers" in my department. While I have been carrying my own optic for quite some time regular patrol rifles have been issued the Aimpoint PRO optics.

If I were able to carry a magnified optic I would most likely carry a 1-4 or 1-6 vortex as I have liked those the best out of what I have shot and can afford.

Moshjath
10-02-2018, 06:39 AM
Despite all the controversy, did anyone catch that SOCOM has finally decided that the replacement for their defective EOTechs is going to be...new EOTechs, not any of the interim solutions (T2/M68 CCO).

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/

breakingtime91
10-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Despite all the controversy, did anyone catch that SOCOM has finally decided that the replacement for their defective EOTechs is going to be...new EOTechs, not any of the interim solutions (T2/M68 CCO).

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/

Goes along with what a lot of people have been saying.. apparently they fixed their shit

Erick Gelhaus
10-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Work gun has an Aimpoint T-1 on it (has for many years). With the exception of about a year & half (both mil & L/E), I've used an Aimpoint constantly since '00.

As much as I like the LVPO, in both concept & practice, I cannot do so with the racks in our patrol cars.

Super J
10-04-2018, 10:13 AM
I had an acog on an AR rifle and did not have much use for the magnification, so I sold it to a gentleman going to Afghanistan.

I now have an aimpoint comp m4 on my rifle and a MRO on my AR pistol. I happen to like them both.

1986s4
10-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Aimpoint Pro with twist off Aimpoint 3X magnifier. I was going to buy one of the cheaper Vortex models but my LGS made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So I get it and I'm happy with it but I find I like shooting my iron sighted A1 carbine skinny barrel better..