PDA

View Full Version : The literary Police version of the Star Trek red shirt.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Of course, we know that the red shirt exists to die!

However, reading police procedural novels I notice the police version. It is the poor schmucks in the patrol car that are sent to the potential victim of the Hannibal Lecter level super psychopath killer. In the book I just read, the super killer cleverly escapes from the court room (pulls the fire alarm) and runs away. A groupie gives him some escape crap as he runs out.

Anyway, it is clear that he is going to seek revenge on some people. So the FBI is in hot pursuit. Do they call the local office to get the victims and just move them (no - let's wait till our Behavioral team gets into town). Does the local law get the victim and move them - NO. They say they will drive by every once in awhile. Or they will park a car with some unattentive Barney Fife's outside the house.

The local law is DEAD - through some clever ploy like walking up to them with a donut.

The behavioral team arrives in the nick of time. Of course, the first agents in are dispatched, leaving our super agent to engage in a life and death struggle (can't shoot the dude as the Glock 19m was dropped in the mud) and won't fire.

BTW, the victim stays put like a tethered goat and falls for a ploy to get into the house. This time the super villain said HE was the behavioral team agents.

The donut eating red shirt / policer in front of the car - it's in a lot of books. If you were going to protect something, is that the way to do? I'd beam them up.

Jaywalker
08-23-2018, 06:02 PM
John Scalzi's "Redshirts?" Their solution was to send out the newbies into dangerous situations, somewhat like Vietnam infantry patrols. Just listen for ominous music, and never talk about your girlfriend back home.

BN
08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Glenn, I think I just read that book. ;) Or one just like it. If the characters don't do stupid stuff then the book is dull, but I yell at them anyway.

I read one the other day where a character drew a 40 caliber revolver. Ah, I said. A S&W model 646. LOL

BehindBlueI's
08-23-2018, 06:27 PM
I mutter "I'm too old for this shit" at least once a day and *never* mention how close to retirement I am. If you have a catchphrase, you might not be the main character but you're definitely less likely to die.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-23-2018, 07:15 PM
Bill, you got it. I saw the 40 cal revolver also. I don't think it was a rare gun, rather just a little knowledge improperly used.

I read a vampire book where the Federal vampire agent carried a 10 mm Beretta. I got all excited till I thought that in an alternate universe with vampires, there just might be a 10 mm Beretta.

serialsolver
08-23-2018, 08:07 PM
I mutter "I'm too old for this shit" at least once a day and *never* mention how close to retirement I am. If you have a catchphrase, you might not be the main character but you're definitely less likely to die.

I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nephrology
08-23-2018, 08:48 PM

I also assume you look exactly like your avatar.

Peally
08-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Police novels/shows/movies/anything are usually painfully bad. I can't do em.

Tamara
08-24-2018, 07:36 AM
I read a vampire book where the Federal vampire agent carried a 10 mm Beretta. I got all excited till I thought that in an alternate universe with vampires, there just might be a 10 mm Beretta.

He must have been in Tom Clancy's special Tier Zero Rainbow Squad. They're issued 10mm Berettas.

Tamara
08-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Can confirm.

jetfire
08-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Police novels/shows/movies/anything are usually painfully bad. I can't do em.

I read one of the Jack Reacher books on accident and have spent the rest of forever trying to bleach it out of my brain.

MistWolf
08-25-2018, 12:41 AM
I hate it when one of the characters does something that's obviously stupid or out of character so the badguy can kill/kidnap/rob someone or get the drop on the hero. That's just plain lazy writing.

Hambo
08-25-2018, 05:59 AM

That was his detective suit. He's back in blue now.

Nephrology
08-25-2018, 09:14 AM
That was his detective suit. He's back in blue now.

Do they make squirrel-sized PD uniforms? I'm assuming the suit was tailored.

BehindBlueI's
08-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Do they make squirrel-sized PD uniforms? I'm assuming the suit was tailored.

I'm big for my species. It's the slit in the pants for the tail that requires custom work.

Darth_Uno
08-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Kindle Unlimited is full of some obscure gems to be found among the turds. I use it for a light weekend read sometimes. In one unexceptional book, a minor character’s backstory was she had been abused and took up self defense and firearms training. Commendable, but I don’t think the author had done either one himself; this was confirmed when the character is badgered into Joining The Cause and shows up with an Uzi with a “four hundred round clip”.

MistWolf
08-25-2018, 10:15 AM
...an Uzi with a “four hundred round clip”.

Must be one of those Uzis made in Hollywood, California.

Kyle Reese
08-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Must be one of those Uzis made in Hollywood, California.Loading that sucker would be a chore.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mmc45414
08-25-2018, 10:23 AM
The one that sticks with me is Speed, where at the beginning of the movie Jeff Daniels and Keanu Reeves are best buddies, like Crocket and Tubbs. Keanu was by himself on the movie poster, so you know sure as shit Daniel is dead meat before the first frame but could they do a better job of killing him off? The crazy maniac has wired up a bus so it will explode if it slows down, he has remote cameras rigged up so he can watch what is going on inside the bus, lets go to his last known address and crawl in a window...

Hambo
08-25-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm big for my species. It's the slit in the pants for the tail that requires custom work.

I'd recommend tucking that thing in. A slit in the pants makes it too easy for the chiefs to...drive their point home. ;)

the Schwartz
08-25-2018, 12:05 PM
John Scalzi's "Redshirts?" Their solution was to send out the newbies into dangerous situations, somewhat like Vietnam infantry patrols. Just listen for ominous music, and never talk about your girlfriend back home.

Love the stuff that Scalzi writes; especially the series of novels: Old Man's War, The Human Division and The End of All Things. Being a fan of classic sci-fi, his writing style is always just the ticket.

Drang
08-29-2018, 04:25 AM
Love the stuff that Scalzi writes; especially the series of novels: Old Man's War, The Human Division and The End of All Things. Being a fan of classic sci-fi, his writing style is always just the ticket.

After the way he desecrated Little Fuzzy, he can kiss my ass.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Last night I watched (recorded) the finale of Law and Order, SVU. I have noted, if not here, that this show of the worst portrayals of police shooting tactics I have ever seen. Even my nonshooting wife has said at times, OH for God's Sake at their gun antics. However, we like some of the stories (who knows why).

Anyway in this cluster, there is a young undocmented lady testifying against a trafficker. In the course, of the events, she brains a trafficker with a lamp (among other violence), killing him. His brother vows revenge. She is tried but being protected from cartel revenge. So the brother goes to the DA and says to dismiss charges against her, so they can take their own revenge on her. The DA pontificates that he is a DA! Brother says that they will kill his sister.

Ah Ha! The sister is mentally ill and in a hospital, outside of NYC. The DA calls the local small town police who say they will post a car in front of the hospital.

Surprise, guess who is found sitting his car with a bullet hole in his forehead. The sister is gone.

I'll spare you the idiocy of the gun fight to save the sister which causes her to get killed anyway by the hostage taking cartel member.

A couple of weeks before, another hostage taking situation and ESU opened up a house full of hostage kids with about 20 full auto guns and a few Glocks as if it was the precursor bombardment of Omaha Beach. Guess, what the prime hostage that started the incident takes a 9 mm from the SVU officer who was trying to save her. She was blazing away nito a window. The cop fire was because two cops went on the roof of a house that was know to have ARs to peek down the chimney. The Waco-oid blasted them through the roof and started the barrage fire.

So don't watch this, yeah I know.

But the main point, is don't wear a red shirt. Don't protect someone from a gang of trained assassins by sitting your car out front!

TDA
09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
That show has all the realism.

Drang
09-21-2018, 08:53 PM
...finale of Law and Order, SVU. ...

If you mean they're never going to defile the airwaves with new episodes of that dreck, then I celebrate!

Glenn E. Meyer
09-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Does the police academy train you to put down your gun in every hostage situation?

I apologize for even mentioning this show, my focus was a 'red shirt' incident.

I don't see why the NY ESU doesn't picket every on scene filming.

It will be back next year.

Tom Duffy
09-23-2018, 07:04 AM
I read one of the Jack Reacher books on accident and have spent the rest of forever trying to bleach it out of my brain.

In one of the earlier Jack Reacher books, the cops had no trouble getting Reacher's fingerprints off a magazine after the gun had been sitting in the desert sun for a couple of weeks.

nalesq
09-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Kindle Unlimited is full of some obscure gems to be found among the turds. I use it for a light weekend read sometimes. In one unexceptional book, a minor character’s backstory was she had been abused and took up self defense and firearms training. Commendable, but I don’t think the author had done either one himself; this was confirmed when the character is badgered into Joining The Cause and shows up with an Uzi with a “four hundred round clip”.

I can’t for the life of me remember the name of this book or the author, but I actually do remember the 400 round clip Uzi, because you just don’t forget something that amazing. I believe this book also had time traveling Gestapo hit men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro