PDA

View Full Version : Guacamole

Lon
08-23-2018, 03:42 PM
After decades of refusing to eat anything that looked like it came out of a baby’s diaper, I finally tried guacamole earlier this year. And much to my surprise I really liked it. So I tried making my own this morning and it turned out pretty good. But I figured with all the southern folks on this forum, someone may have a better/different recipe than what I used.

I used:
- 2 avocados
- juice from one lime
- large jalapeño diced
- half an onion diced
- half a tomato diced
- cilantro
- salt

Anyone got a recipe they’d share?

UNM1136
08-23-2018, 03:55 PM
The only thing I see missing is garlic....

I grew up eating the stuff, and if you think of guacamole as a bound salad, rather than a dip, the world is wide open. The avacado is really an amazing fruit.

pat

nate89
08-23-2018, 04:03 PM
I really enjoy guacamole. I've done varieties with black beans, corn, lime, garlic, onion, tomato, green/red/yellow peppers, etc that fits well as a dip or honestly almost as a stand alone snack. In the Philippines we would make shakes with fresh avocados that were pretty amazing. Another ingredient I don't see used very often is mangos. If you like a bit of sweet in your dip, you can dice mangos into small cubes and I think it adds a unique taste similar to adding it to a fresh salsa. Cilantro is also a good addition.

Really in summary the sky is the limit. I usually end up making something with avocados every week, and it rarely ends up the same.

GuanoLoco
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
After decades of refusing to eat anything that looked like it came out of a baby’s diaper, I finally tried guacamole earlier this year. And much to my surprise I really liked it. So I tried making my own this morning and it turned out pretty good. But I figured with all the southern folks on this forum, someone may have a better/different recipe than what I used.

I used:
- 2 avocados
- juice from one lime
- large jalapeño diced
- half an onion diced
- half a tomato diced
- cilantro
- salt

You need to add fire, at the very least a touch of cayenne pepper. Season to taste.

EDIT: Oops, missed the jalapeño .

Guerrero
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
We eat avocado fairly often (just had a bunch last night). If you don't want to go the full guac route, mashed avocado goes really well on all things taco/flauta/torta/etc.:

Avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper, mash with a fork until smooth; spread a forkfull on a tortilla and add whatever else suits your fancy

Lon
08-23-2018, 04:07 PM
You need to add fire, at the very least a touch of cayenne pepper. Season to taste.

EDIT: Oops, missed the jalapeño .

That’s ok. Wasn’t really spicy. I like cayenne suggestion.

GuanoLoco
08-23-2018, 04:12 PM
That’s ok. Wasn’t really spicy. I like cayenne suggestion.

I think the cayenne powder blends in better.

Gater
08-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Spice expedient shared with me is to add a tablespoon of salsa to the avocado/tomato/onion...works pretty well.

TheNewbie
08-23-2018, 05:10 PM
I LOVE guacamole.

Estoy feliz que me novia puede cocinar comida mexicana!!!

However my waistline is not so happy.

Lon
08-23-2018, 05:45 PM
I LOVE guacamole.

Estoy feliz que me novia puede cocinar comida mexicana!!!

However my waistline is not so happy.

One nice thing about the Keto diet I’m on is I can eat this without feeling guilty. Now I just need to find a good Keto chip of some sort.

Duelist
08-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Experiment with other peppers. Some give more/different flavors, like Anaheims, and others give more/different color to the end product, like yellow or red sweet bell peppers.

TheNewbie
08-23-2018, 06:00 PM
One nice thing about the Keto diet I’m on is I can eat this without feeling guilty. Now I just need to find a good Keto chip of some sort.

Yea if only I didn't add the tortillas, chips, and horchata I would be better off. Lol

Jason M
08-23-2018, 06:08 PM

I used:
- 2 avocados
- juice from one lime
- large jalapeño diced
- half an onion diced
- half a tomato diced
- cilantro
- salt

Nailed it! if you want to add some variety, omit the salt add a table spoon of fresh chopped cilantro and a dash of fresh cumin.

Kukuforguns
08-23-2018, 06:58 PM
1 suggestion:

1) Red onion instead of yellow.

Next challenge: whip up a batch of mango/avocado/habanero salsa.

Bobcat
08-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Atkins used to recommend fried pork rinds. Just sayin'

Lon
08-23-2018, 07:22 PM
Atkins used to recommend fried pork rinds. Just sayin'

I’ve tried em. Haven’t found any I like. Guess I should keep trying.

Bart Carter
08-23-2018, 07:30 PM
There are so many recipes for fresh salsa. When I make a big batch I just mix it with mashed avocado, add lemon or lime and presto, Guacamole.

Greg
08-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Agree on the need for Garlic.

AND if you seed a jalapeno or a serrano (like I often see in recipes) you're a Nancy boy. Seriously, do not f***ing seed those.

RoyGBiv
08-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Avo, salt, fresh lime juice.
Toast
Egg, over easy.
Sriracha.

Strong covffee.

UNM1136
08-23-2018, 08:08 PM

AND if you seed a jalapeno or a serrano (like I often see in recipes) you're a Nancy boy. Seriously, do not f***ing seed those.

But if you want more flavor, blister them over the stove burner until the skin is black, put in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for 3-5 minutes to steam, and then peel most of the charred skin off. No need to be thorough, some bits of charred skin will add even more roasted flavor. I just don't like the mouthfeel or texture of chile skins, so I get most of it off, and chop well.

Locals here swear that if you peel after roasting you are removing all the flavor you just created. There is some truth to that, but not all the flavor goes, and I just don't like the feel of chile skins.

Check out Alton Brown's Good Eats, specifically the "Dip Madness" (guacamole), "Chiles Angels" (salsas), and "Live and Let Diet" (awesome avacado and sardine toast) episodes.

pat

Erik
08-23-2018, 09:08 PM
I’ve tried em. Haven’t found any I like. Guess I should keep trying.

A local barbecue place sells the rinds from whatever piece of the pig they smoke and it is pretty much the best thing ever. They're not fried, though.

David S.
08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
I do a similar recipe
Add some garlic and chili powder
A spoonful of sour cream will help prevent it from turning brown. So will leaving the avocado pit in the dip.

When in season, try replacing the tomato with pomegranate seeds.

MGW
08-23-2018, 09:26 PM

Bacon is a chip. At least it should be.

holmes168
08-23-2018, 10:10 PM
My wife is the guacamole queen. No tomato and add garlic.
Also- for GuanoLoco try some with chipotle in it. We like to use the chipotle from Tabasco.

For another nice treat...

Ore Ida hash browns cooked golden and put on plate
Put the chipotle guacamole on top of hash browns
Put fried egg on top of chipotle guacamole

The perfect and very easy breakfast

Duelist
08-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Also- for GuanoLoco try some with chipotle in it. We like to use the chipotle from Tabasco.

Put fried on top of chipotle guacamole

*fried egg?

Duelist
08-23-2018, 10:36 PM

I’m your huckleberry.

GuanoLoco
08-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Put fried egg on top of chipotle guacamole

Mmmmm. Chipotle has such a nice flavor, I love it.

Robinson
08-25-2018, 11:52 PM
I like guacamole, but not ON my taco burrito whatever. Just give me a bowl of guacamole with plenty of lime and jalapenos I can dip chips and stuff in.

MistWolf
08-26-2018, 12:35 AM
My favorite recipe-
-Avacado, sliced
-Salt
-Enjoy

Sometimes I'll add a BLT on toast. Nothing beats a BLT with avacado

OnionsAndDragons
08-26-2018, 01:56 AM

I suggest making cheese crisps if you aren't into pork rinds. A small portion of sweet potato chips can be fine depending on your insulin sensitivity. I also concur with the previous assertion that bacon is a chip for this purpose. Bacon and avocado are a beautiful pairing.

As to guac, I've never been a fan of chunky formulae. Simple and smooth, and I'm down to mow. Lime, garlic, something spicy and maybe a bit of sour cream or the like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TGS
08-26-2018, 07:24 AM
*fried egg?

Also known as "over hard".

Like "over easy" but with a solid yoke, not runny.

Duelist
08-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Also known as "over hard".

Like "over easy" but with a solid yoke, not runny.

The “correct” method, IMHO.

rob_s
08-26-2018, 08:17 AM
The first time I had guac that I liked it was made from a recipe we got from my uncle, who at the time was a SanDiego resident and Border Patrol agent. His started with a recipe for salsa which was then mixed into avocado and some other stuff (I assume) to make guac.

I’ve since had a lot of guac I like, but none as good as that.

UNM1136
08-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Also, RE: chips.

A Superdawg in Chicago they had onion chips. Like onion rings, but dipable, and my new favorite onion ring like device.

Slice the onion so you get chip shaped pieces. For best yield maybe tip and top it, cut it half, and peel the layers off, cutting them to a mangeable size. I would dip them in almond flour or some such, seasoned lightly, then buttermilk or egg, or a combination of the two, then a dredge in a mixture of almond flour and parmesan cheese. Fry, or bake on a rack in a sheetpan. Guacamole is a little heavy, so I would spoon it on the onion chips as you go. Just spitballing here, thinking out loud.

A local hippie mart carries all kinds of veggie and legume chips. Jerky can be a chip, smear some guacamole on cold cuts, like roast beef, turkey, or chicken, and roll up. Come to think of it you may be able to use a dehydrator or oven to turn cold cuts into meat chips. Save chicken skins and look up chicken skin chips. Kale chips done in the oven.

Cheese chips have been mentioned. Endive and radicchio leaves are the right shape. Sliced cooked sausage, in the center of boiled egg whites like deviled eggs, or add chopped egg for an egg salad using guacamole like the tradional mayo.

pat

Lon
08-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. When I get back from vacation I’m gonna make some more using some of the suggestions here. Think I’ll try the bacon and cheese crisps for “chips” if the Protes chips I ordered are nasty.

ragnar_d
08-26-2018, 10:01 AM
There are some pretty good recipes here. Recently I've been packing the Sabra "Spicy" singles with my lunch and I'll use it as dip for some carrots and spread the rest on a couple hard boiled eggs with some sriracha. I know that stuff isn't as good as the homemade stuff, but it's convenient and keeps me from eating crappy food at work.

TGS
08-26-2018, 10:11 AM
There are some pretty good recipes here. Recently I've been packing the Sabra "Spicy" singles with my lunch and I'll use it as dip for some carrots and spread the rest on a couple hard boiled eggs with some sriracha. I know that stuff isn't as good as the homemade stuff, but it's convenient and keeps me from eating crappy food at work.

Ditto.

If anyone is near a Safeway grocery store, their store brand is the best store-bought Guac that I've had. We have a friend from Texas (one of those typically hyper-proud Texans) living in NoVA currently and he's enthusiastic as hell about the stuff.

M2CattleCo
08-26-2018, 01:44 PM
My favorite guacamole is mashed with salsa.

The salsa is tomato, jalapeño and/or serrano, and salt.

Throw about 1/3 salsa to 1 part avocado and mash it up.

MistWolf
08-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Last night we went to Tucano's, a Brazilian BBQ place, to have a birthday dinner for a niece and a nephew. Mom started at the salad bar and put a pile of green dip on her plate. She put a big dollop of it on a cucumber and took a good sized bite. Her face flushed red as it broke out in sweat. When she could finally catch her breath and speak, she said "That guacamole is really spicy!"

I took a close look at the green dip on her plate and said "That's not guacamole, Mom. That's wasabi."

M2CattleCo
08-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Haha! That'll get ya goin! I didn't know Wasabi was Brazilian.

As far as Mexican food goes, most of it traditionally is pretty bland and sorry in general.

I always lose weight when I stay in Mexico.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-27-2018, 09:58 AM
As mentioned in another thread, - Shrimp Nachos and Guacamole are a fine way to end a morning of shooting a 1911 with a bunch of fine guys! Mom and Pop Mexican restaurants - way to go in San Antonio. I still laugh at some politician who discussing immigration (complex debate) feared tacos! The joint we go to make fine tacos with a good glop of Guacamole.

Avocados are sitting on the kitchen island as we speak!

I will also mention that the glorious Avocado is a fine addition to many sushi rolls. The last consumed was a spicy tuna and avocado roll. There was a debate among purists as to whether avocado should be in sushi rolls. The California roll was an abomination. However, since it was a major factor in popularizing sushi in the USA, it is now accepted and spread back to some in Japan. As an aside, I was watching a Japanese food show and they were doing bento boxes on the trains. One was a bagel, lox and cream cheese. Cracked me up.

In the old days, a Texan could get a laugh by saying that he wouldn't eat bait. Now, that is looked upon as a announcement of cultural ignorance even here. All the grocery stores have sushi - right near the guacamole displays.

rob_s
08-27-2018, 10:44 AM
If you like sushi, and you like avocado, ceviche is something you need to try if you haven't.

For several months the wife and I were making it about once a week with different ingredients, different sized dice, etc. There are a few things I will almost always order if I see it on a menu someplace I haven't been and ceviche is one of them (with the main one being fish dip).

Guerrero
08-27-2018, 11:14 AM
If you like sushi, and you like avocado, crevice is something you need to try if you haven't.

For several months the wife and I were making it about once a week with different ingredients, different sized dice, etc. There are a few things I will almost always order if I see it on a menu someplace I haven't been and crevice is one of them (with the main one being fish dip).

I sure hope you mean "ceviche."

rob_s
08-27-2018, 11:22 AM
I sure hope you mean "ceviche."

yep, thanks for the catch. I've gotten used to trusting my auto correct...

jwperry
08-27-2018, 11:31 AM
RE: Chips on keto

We normally use bell pepper slices. We've tried the dried cheese route and they weren't robust enough to dip/scoop. We've tried baking and frying some of the ultra low-carb tortillas, but they've suffered the same problem and based on my blood gluecose levels post ingestion aren't nearly as "low net carb" as they say they are.

The next chip/crust we're going to try is the mashed chicken breast with Parmesan cheese mixture. It made a decent flat bread pizza crust, so we're hoping to use it in other areas.

We will also put cumin in our guacamole.

ragnar_d
08-28-2018, 07:02 AM
Last night we went to Tucano's, a Brazilian BBQ place, to have a birthday dinner for a niece and a nephew. Mom started at the salad bar and put a pile of green dip on her plate. She put a big dollop of it on a cucumber and took a good sized bite. Her face flushed red as it broke out in sweat. When she could finally catch her breath and speak, she said "That guacamole is really spicy!"

I took a close look at the green dip on her plate and said "That's not guacamole, Mom. That's wasabi."
Reminds me of one of Lawdog's posts many moons ago:
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/next-time-ill-keep-my-mush-shut.html