PDA

View Full Version : Choke Choice For SD/HD Shotgun

MD7305
02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I recently picked up an 870 and I'm trying to determine how to set it up appropriately. My experience with shotguns is limited to department shooting/training (ie: not much). It seems most agencies locally are moving to rifles and the shotgun is getting left behind. I'm not looking for a rifle vs. shotgun debate, I just want some input concerning shotgun chokes for self-defense/home defense purposes.

I've looked over my department's shotguns (Remington 870s) and they're a mixture of cylinder, improved cylinder, and modified barrel configurations between 18-20" length. Most of them have rifle sights. My new 870 has a cylinder bore with a bead sight but my preference would be to locate a rifle-sighted barrel to keep it similar to my issue 870. I've located these barrels but they're available in a variety of different chokes. I'm not sure which to choose. What choke would be the most versatile using both 00Buck and slugs? At various distances?

Also, any ammo advice would be appreciated. I've shot the Federal "TruBall" Slugs and FliteControl 00Buck and both appear impressive. Any suggestions?

Odin Bravo One
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm sure Doc will jump in (hopefully) to point you in the right direction with ammo selection. There is some new stuff that is showing promise.

I use Federal Slugs, though I do have some TAP 00 Buck on hand.

I never cared much for a choke tube on work guns. (I know you said SD/HD, but if involves shooting people, I consider it "working gun" vs. those for playing games) I have little use for 00 Buck in most situations, and have not found many problems that are solved by 00 Buck, where a slug was not just as, if not more effective. Given the "long distance" shot inside a domestic residential structure occupied by mortal men/women is likely to be less than 10 yards (less than 7 in most places), I don't see where having the barrel choked really gives any benefit.

If you pattern your barrel at the max range you anticipate using it, and find it is too open, then choking it down is worth while. But I wouldn't choke it out the gates, just to do it. And I really doubt you will have issues, using quality ammunition having a 00 Buck pattern that is outside of an 8" circle at 7 yards, or can't hold a decent group with slugs at the same distance.

DocGKR
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Choke: Cylinder.

Ammo: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99583

Sights: Consider a RDS...I am fully sold on them!

John Ralston
02-24-2012, 09:13 AM
After re-reading your post, I realized that you didn't have interchangeable chokes. Unless you get terrible patterns, I would just stick with what you have and try the Federal Flight Control Wad loads (I have seen some great patterns from those loads, but have not tried them myself).

rsa-otc
02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I echo John's comments. Not all shotguns pattern alike even among the same make & model. I am a firm believer in patterning your gun and seeing what works for you.

My personal experience with the Federal LE has been exceptional. Out of every shotgun I have witnessed an improved pattern. In our Mossbergs 590s the pattern is so tight that you may as well be shooting slugs out to 15 yards.

MD7305
03-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. The FliteControl 00Buck patterns very well in the cylinder bore. I shot a walk back and made it to about 35 yards before pellets started landing outside an FBI "q" target. Impressive, but I would liked to try the #1Buck load that Doc mentioned. After shooting the bead sighted barrel I'm not that disappointed with it. I would prefer a rifle sighted barrel but I'd rather sink the money into a shotgun specific training class.

rsa-otc
03-04-2012, 07:15 AM
I would prefer a rifle sighted barrel but I'd rather sink the money into a shotgun specific training class.

Excellent choice!

GJM
03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Here is my thought on shotguns and buckshot -- the odds that I am going to wake up in the night, grab a shotgun, AND remember what buck this shotgun is loaded with, how this load/shotgun patterns, and also be figure out what distance the threat is and what my pattern is at that distance are ZERO. I keep it simple by loading my shotguns with Brenneke slugs, and keeping a few rounds of buck on my side saddle so that I can select buck if that would make sense.

LHS
03-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the responses. The FliteControl 00Buck patterns very well in the cylinder bore. I shot a walk back and made it to about 35 yards before pellets started landing outside an FBI "q" target. Impressive, but I would liked to try the #1Buck load that Doc mentioned. After shooting the bead sighted barrel I'm not that disappointed with it. I would prefer a rifle sighted barrel but I'd rather sink the money into a shotgun specific training class.

Pretty much spot on. For HD, I like a cylinder or IC choke, and for inside a house, bead sights work just fine if you don't want to shell out for ghost rings or a red dot. Load selection really depends on your environment. For me, slugs are a no-no as I don't want to kill neighbors in the adjoining condos. I'm anxiously awaiting the civilian availability of the new Federal #1 Buck load for just this reason. As always, Doc is dialed-in on terminal ballistics, his thread on M4C is invaluable.

I would highly recommend some kind of white light on your shotgun. The Surefire fore-end is expensive, but rock solid. I'd add one of those and a training class before I added sights/optics. You might also want to look into a reduced-LOP stock. For $65 or so, you can get a Remington youth stock set that cuts an inch off the LOP, making the weapon a lot handier. Of course, YMMV depending on body size/build, but I'm a big guy and I still much prefer the short stock. The 12" Hogue is a bit too short for my preference, though a lot of people dig it, and I assume it would work well for me if I wore body armor on a regular basis.

MD7305
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
My immediate plans were for a Hogue 13" LOP stock (factory stock feels long ) and a sling. I'm torn between a 2-point like a VTAC or VCAS or some type of single point. Copy on the light, I've been looking around for a second hand Surefire unit but I also found a Streamlight adapter for WMLs. I'm going to manage the sling and stock, hopefully a class, and then go from there.

GJM
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
A good, inexpensive way to mount a light is the G,G and G fore end for the 870. It has a piece of rail on the starboard side, and will accept a Surefire Scout or any of a number of lights in an inexpensive mount.

I really like the short Hogue stock. Here it is on an 870 with the G,G and G fore end with a Scout light:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/shotty.jpg

In a condo situation, I can understand the concern with slugs, but in any event we own each of our slugs, pellets and even the wad -- the great thing about a shotgun is you can pick the load that meets your need best.

LHS
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm really torn on the subject of slings. I've tried two-point carbine slings like the VCAS and I hate them on shotguns (though I rock a VCAS on all my carbines, and love them for that application). I find they get in way when I'm working the action. Single-points have their own issues, especially during transitions. So far I've been able to train around those issues, but I'm not truly satisfied with the setup. My 20-gauge has a basic two point carry strap on it, and I find that I like it most of all for pure shooting. The question is whether or not it serves the proper function of a modern sling, and I'm working on that, but I'm not there yet. Until I find something better, I'm using a Wilderness singlepoint sling on a GG&G receiver endplate on my HD 870.

JeffJ
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not crazy about slings on an HD shotgun, it seems to me to not fit the bill very well. It adds another step when arming or gives an oppurtunity to snag. For training, field use - sure, but a bump in the night gun - not so much. YMMV

GJM
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I like a simple AR style carry sling on a defensive shotgun, especially in a HD setting. If I need to check something out, I can carry the shotgun muzzle down in African carry. This allows me to present the shotgun quickly, but carry it in a low profile, non-threatening manner. The last thing I want to do is encounter a law enforcement officer at night with a shotgun in my hands.

JeffJ
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Good point.

I guess I really don't see my HD shotgun as an "extended engagement" tool - really more of a gather wife/child and barricade. Really, our HD shotgun is her shotgun on her side of the bed with the intention of getting to kiddos room and covering the door if the alarm goes off unexplicably in the middle of the night.