PDA

View Full Version : Is my G43 worth keeping?

seabiscuit
08-20-2018, 10:01 PM
So I took my G43 to the range yesterday for the first time, put 225 rounds through it. I was not impressed with accuracy and shootability. Not sure what I expected there.

When I switched to my G19, I was making shots far more accurately and more quickly. Barely had to think about it, just nice and smooth and fast.

Also, I realized how long 6+1 lasts - not long.

So I’m considering selling the 43 and replacing with a 19X. I’ve had a 26 before and there’s not many times, if any, that I can conceal it but not a 19. I’d like to have another Glock double stack as a backup to my 19.

Thoughts? Anyone consistently choose their 43 over their 19, and did you learn to shoot it well enough to be confident with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
08-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Yep. My 19 is actually my least favorite Glock, and my 43 my most favorite. I shoot them equally well.

Calvin118
08-20-2018, 10:13 PM
I personally don't have a use for a G43. My experience is influenced by the fact that I am a XL guy with a XL hand, but I can't get a good grip on it and can't shoot it worth a lick. I still shoot a Glock 26 pretty well, even without a mag extension. I have no problems concealing something the size of a G19, and going much smaller doesn't make much of a difference for me in a belt holster. If I need to go smaller I would put a G26 in a pocket holster with *no round in the chamber*. The length and height are pretty close between the G26 and 43. The benefit of the width while shooting outweighs the concealment cost and weight, at least for me.

EJO
08-20-2018, 10:15 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I shoot my 43 the worst of all my Glocks. I shoot my 19.5 better than any other Glock. My 26.5 I run off duty and I run it as it was intended, no pinkie extension. I shoot the 26.5 almost as well as the 19.5, just slightly slower. The 43 is the hardest for me to shoot accurately or fast. I don't have big hands but I think the 43 is just too small. I keep it as my deep concealment gun...

Can't help you with the 19X. I'm still trying to figure out why when it comes to the 19X. If I'm running a full size grip why not have the extra half inch of barrel/ sight radius. Not knocking the 19X by any means and I really would like to shoot/ purchase one, I just can't bring myself to drop the coin on it.

jwperry
08-20-2018, 10:23 PM
I also shoot my G43 worse than all my other Gs. Difference is, the G43 fills a niche that none of the others can. I'll be keeping mine, practicing when I can and carrying it in all the NPE that the extra bulge from the double stacks would give a "hey, what's in your pants" look/conversation.

I miss my M&P Shield.

ST911
08-20-2018, 10:55 PM
G43 is a BUG and NPE-est gun for me. It takes more work, but you can run them quite respectably. Putting Hackathorn sights and the new OEM connector helped.

Practice, practice.

LockedBreech
08-20-2018, 10:59 PM
I have kept my G43 because the pistol is developing a reputation for extreme reliability and I really, really like the sights. (Ameriglo TCAP Yellow)

But to be completely honest, I preferred both my PPS M1 and my Shield 1.0 and wish I had not sold them.

It's hard to explain, but the G43 and my large hand do not get along. It always feels faintly...jabby, in my palm. The Shield and PPS were both more comfortable for my hands.

In terms of quality, I think the 43 is excellent. There's no issue with the gun, just my hands.

Cypher
08-20-2018, 11:11 PM
SEABISCUIT SAID: So I took my G43 to the range yesterday for the first time, put 225 rounds through it. I was not impressed with accuracy and shootability. Not sure what I expected there.

When I switched to my G19, I was making shots far more accurately and more quickly. Barely had to think about it, just nice and smooth and fast.

So I’m considering selling the 43 and replacing with a 19X. I’ve had a 26 before and there’s not many times, if any, that I can conceal it but not a 19. I’d like to have another Glock double stack as a backup to my 19.

Thoughts? Anyone consistently choose their 43 over their 19, and did you learn to shoot it well enough to be confident with it? END QUOTE

I don't own a 43. So I can't comment on that but if you don't have a gun that fills the role of deep concealmeant you might want to hang on to it.

I wouldn't own a 19X in Colorado because it's not even questionable the magazines are illegal and there's not even reasonable doubt because they weren't made before the law went into effect.

Duelist
08-20-2018, 11:19 PM
SEABISCUIT SAID: So I took my G43 to the range yesterday for the first time, put 225 rounds through it. I was not impressed with accuracy and shootability. Not sure what I expected there.

Thoughts? Anyone consistently choose their 43 over their 19, and did you learn to shoot it well enough to be confident with it? END QUOTE

I don't own a 43. So I can't comment on that but if you don't have a gun that fills the role of deep concealmeant you might want to hang on to it.

I wouldn't own a 19X in Colorado because it's not even questionable the magazines are illegal and there's not even reasonable doubt because they weren't made before the law went into effect.

10 round magazines and pre-ban G17 magazines will run in that G19x.

Yes, you should probably keep the 43, or get another bitty gun you like better. Work with it, get mag-guts and get a couple more rounds in it. Every 43 I’ve shot has worked well, but my wife hated the recoil and loved the 42, so we got a pair of those. And they work, as well. I also have a 26. Excellent gun. If I’m going larger than the 26, I’m going to the 19x or a 17. I see no advantage going to the 19: larger than the 26, and still doesn’t have quite long enough a grip to fully accommodate my hand.

Bigghoss
08-20-2018, 11:23 PM

There are lots of 19X's floating around CO. If the buyer can't own >15 round mags the dealer will often swap them out or disassemble them into rebuild kits, perfectly legal so long as the buyer only uses the parts to rebuild mags possessed before the ban went into effect.. Glock also makes 15-round mags for the G17 that are reliable. And for all I know, Seabiscuit might be exempt from the mag capacity limit.

Cypher
08-20-2018, 11:42 PM
My bad. I've been hearing that the 19X only takes 19X magazine because of the baseplate.

Doesn't the ban exemption only apply to weapons used for duty. For example I couldn't buy a 17 round magazine based on being in the Army (I'm not anymore)

Jaywalker
08-20-2018, 11:47 PM
I sold my G19 Gen4 after I bought my G43. It's what I carry in my right pocket and a spare magazine in the left. After a Kahr magazine self-ejected on me I always carry a spare.

HopetonBrown
08-20-2018, 11:54 PM
Yep. My 19 is actually my least favorite Glock, and my 43 my most favorite. I shoot them equally well.Can you give an example of what shooting you do equally well?

I shot a 43 over the weekend with a TTI extension but still I found it generally difficult to shoot as well as the other 9mn Glocks.

Bigghoss
08-21-2018, 12:35 AM
Doesn't the ban exemption only apply to weapons used for duty. For example I couldn't buy a 17 round magazine based on being in the Army (I'm not anymore)

Nope. Basically, if you carry a gun for a government agency (including being in the military I believe) you can buy >15 round mags for anything. I also forgot to mention that some gun shops just mod the mags to only take 15 rounds. A friend of mine bought a S&W SD9 and the gun store pinned the mags or something so they could only hold 15 rounds.

Cypher
08-21-2018, 12:42 AM
Nope. Basically, if you carry a gun for a government agency (including being in the military I believe) you can buy >15 round mags for anything. I also forgot to mention that some gun shops just mod the mags to only take 15 rounds. A friend of mine bought a S&W SD9 and the gun store pinned the mags or something so they could only hold 15 rounds.

I know of a couple shops in Colorado Springs that will flat out sell you a 17 round magazine. I don't agree with the law at all but I'm not willing to risk a criminal record even for a misdemeanor for two rounds

Bigghoss
08-21-2018, 12:49 AM
I know of a couple shops in Colorado Springs that will flat out sell you a 17 round magazine. I don't agree with the law at all but I'm not willing to risk a criminal record even for a misdemeanor for two rounds

Yeah, I wouldn't either. I'm exempt though, thankfully.

LSP552
08-21-2018, 04:58 AM
Me and the G43 don’t get along. I traded out of mine after 2 range trips. Only you will know for sure, but you couldn’t give me a 43 today. There are other options in the small NPE 9mm flavor.

VT1032
08-21-2018, 05:13 AM
I personally hate the 43, but carry one almost daily. Its just small enough to fill the deep concealment niche for me while still shooting a "real" bullet. I much preferred the shield, but it was just a tad bigger and that size difference was just enough to make it too big for things like ankle and pocket carry. If I'm carrying a belt gun, it's a G19 or up.

Bucky
08-21-2018, 05:45 AM
My G43 is my favorite Glock. It’s not one that I carry offen, because I, too, prefer a bigger grip and more rounds on tap. But those times where the bigger gun isn’t feasible, this fits the bill.

seabiscuit
08-21-2018, 06:29 AM
Thanks gents. Hadn’t considered the CO law yet; I’ll be living near CO and traveling there a lot. I work for an exempted agency but I wouldn’t be on duty or in uniform in CO. In any case, I could just bring my 19 with its 15-round mags when I travel there.

I was thinking 19X over 17 because it will fit in my 19 holsters. And it’s more comfortable to AIWB a shorter barrel. It also comes with 3 mags, night sights, and a slightly extended slide release.

I really don’t anticipate being in any NPE. Probably the best use for the 43 would be for hiking/mountain biking due to its light weight. But again, not sure I’d trust myself to effectively hit a snake or cougar with it (practice practice practice), and six rounds doesn’t last long against a bad guy.

Edited to add: I have large hands; I’m a tall skinny guy. My long fingers may contribute to pulling those shots.

Trukinjp13
08-21-2018, 07:13 AM
I can shoot the g43 almost as well as fullsized Glocks. Mine definitely fills a role that others can not. I have the talon sandpaper grips on mine. But cut off the side that lays against my body for iwb. They help with getting a positive grip on her. Also I have the mini agent sights and they are perfect. No other small gun shoots as well to me, and it will go anywhere I need it.

HeavyDuty
08-21-2018, 07:18 AM
Can you give an example of what shooting you do equally well?

I shot a 43 over the weekend with a TTI extension but still I found it generally difficult to shoot as well as the other 9mn Glocks.

The kind that involves loading ammunition into magazines, pointing the gun at targets, and putting holes in them?

Sorry.

On paper out to 50 feet, both indoors and outdoors. Casual shooting and timed drills.

Gun Mutt
08-21-2018, 07:24 AM
When I carried my 43 daily and shot it at every range session, I did well with it. When I left it in the safe for too long, I shot groups I was embarrassed to claim. Turned it into a 442.

Tom Duffy
08-21-2018, 09:06 AM
My Glock 43 is the only Glock I own, I'm more of a HK LEM guy. I really like the 43 for what it is. Small, accurate and reasonably dependable. My groups at 25 yards are about equivalent to my groups shot double action with a revolver with a 4" barrel. When I take it to Steel Challenge matches for practice, I can regularly hit the large plate at 35 yards.
I have large hands and shorter fingers. The recoil on the 43 is substantial, so I shoot it like a revolver, i.e., I place the first joint of my finger on the trigger rather than my finger pad. This makes a world of difference.
The only problem I've had with it were some reliability issues feeding the last round in multiple magazines. I bought some extra strength springs and kept the magazine capacity at 6. This seems to have solved the problem. I use the Talon rubber grips and this helps me hang onto the gun.

BTW, Glock sells 10 round magazines in coyote brown for the 19X.

s0nspark
08-21-2018, 11:02 AM
I find the G43 to be too thin to shoot well at speed.

I hate it, but it is what it is (for me.)

6+1 is also easily half my comfort level for a serious use gun. Better than nothing but not ideal if I am really concerned about things.

Round1
08-21-2018, 03:01 PM
I have a 43 and shoot it a well as my 17. I like it but I also have a 27 that I like as well. I think the 27 is an all-round flexible Glock. I can use the 23 and 22 mags with it. I use X-GRIP FOR GLOCKS. They make it feel like a full size but I can still go with the 9 round mags for a deeper concealment.

You can do the same thing with a 26 with the 19 and 17 mags.

The reason I picked the 27 over the 26 is I can change the barrel out of the 27 to a 33 barrel and shoot .357 sigs in it.

navyman8903
08-21-2018, 03:29 PM
So I really think perspective is important here. Of course a G19 is more capable than the G43. I also regardless of if you shoot the G19 better or the G43, they're two different guns for two different intended purposes. The G43 isn't a compact gun, it's a single stack 9mm pocket pistol people favor for carry when that pistol is appropriate, or lazy people carry it when they need something, but are not serious about it.

The G43 is an emergency use pistol. I know all CCW's are, but the G43 is a deep concealment or back up gun. It is not intended to be a "fighting gun" or a distance shooter. It's capable for its size, but if you're honest with yourself it does not a G19 make. In any sense of the word. No 6+1 isn't a fight stopper, but it might be your last possible option to defend your life if you're carrying a primary concealed weapon and the G43 as a last ditch backup pistol.

In the end some dudes just don't like or use subcompacts or pocket guns. That's fine, if you've found your preferred size that meets the mission you're applying it for, run with it. But if you're looking for a reason to sell your G43 so you can get a 19x then possibly rethink your decision. And honestly, it's your life man, you've got to shoot these things, not us.

vandal
08-21-2018, 04:01 PM
Really torn. Can only have two pistols on my CCW. One is a G19, the other PPS M1.

G19 is my ~90% but PPS is the gun I can put on without having to think about my cover garment at all. And I can still do some very good work with it, don't feel under gunned for errands, work etc. Carry it with the 7-rd mag in it and an 8-round reload. Never a malfunction. Have shot it out to 50yds on torso steel with no special effort (after 75yds it got tougher). Really an amazing gun for it's size.

But there's a niche I can't quite squeeze the PPS into -- belly band/thunderwear/ankle carry for tucked-in no-jacket events, running, etc. Even with the flush mag the PPS doesn't quite work where the G43 does. These are 5% situations -- rarely have this need but when I do I don't have the right tool. The PPS slide, dustcover, trigger guard are all big/tall and it adds up.

I've got XL hands so the G43 isn't as easy for me to shoot well. I use the Pearce +1 and a +2 (Vickers) reload mag. For me it's a 15yd gun (beyond that I have to really try). I've had an occasional failure to feed with 147gr HST so I have to do the PITA exercise of finding another round just for that gun.

Regardless I'm still leaning toward changing out the PPS for a G43. On the plus side it should help my G19 become my 95% gun. On the negative side I would lose that 5% where the PPS really shines.

VT1032
08-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Regardless I'm still leaning toward changing out the PPS for a G43. On the plus side it should help my G19 become my 95% gun. On the negative side I would lose that 5% where the PPS really shines.

This is what I tell myself every time I find myself jonesing for a G26 (which I love). If I can carry a 26, I can probably carry a 19. If I truly can't carry a 19, it's probably a situation where the 43 is going to serve better then a 26. I don't like shooting the 43 much, but it really does fill that niche well.

Nephrology
08-21-2018, 04:49 PM
I find there to be a lot of utility in the G43 and similarly sized single stack 9mms. I own two that I bought after trading in two M&P Shield 9mms for store credit. The Shield was a slightly better shooter, but the G43 can be equipped with a striker control device, which lives on the rest of my 9mm Glocks. The 43 also isn't really terrible to shoot if you give it some practice; that said, I have smaller sized hands, so that might be a part of it.

Personally, I wouldn't ever trade a G43 for a 19X or any other doublestack pistol because they fill entirely different roles. It conceals very well on occasions and in certain outfits that are otherwise highly non permissive to CCW. For whatever it's worth, these days I end up carrying a G26 more often than basically anything else - including the 19 and the 43 - but on the occasions when I do carry a 43, it's because nothing else would work nearly as well.

YMMV. It's just a Glock. If you end up selling it and regretting it, it won't be hard for you to replace.

Bucky
08-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Really torn. Can only have two pistols on my CCW. One is a G19, the other PPS M1.

Only two? I’d have to make some changes. Last time I tried to trim the “carry shelf” from 4 to 3, I wound up with 5.

I know if I were limited to two, it’d be G43 and ??

opmike
08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Guns like this fill a role, particularly an NPE one. If you're able to move about in your day to day world without ever encountering a role for a small semi, J-frame, etc. then I envy you.

Dismas316
08-21-2018, 07:18 PM
I was like you at first with the 43. Beyond 12/15 yards my accurate wasn’t great. Fast forward today and over 2000 round through it and I love it. Last week I was hitting a round steel plate at 75 yards without to much issue. I’ve learned to run it hard and my accuracy is much better. I still shoot my 19 slight better/faster when running drills but not a huge difference. I still perfer the 19 as my main edc but I have gone to the 43 for my summer carry with great confidence.

I also have gone to the Taran Tactical +2 base plate and the gun feels perfect in my hand, accuracy is improved with more of the full size grip. Some might say since the length is close to the 19, may as well go to the 19, but it’s significantly lighter and thinner. When it’s constantly 100 degrees, the 43 works well with shorts and light shirt. If I really need deep concealment with it I just go to the TT+1, or the pinky extension.

Also a huge fan of the 26 but the difference for me in carrying that and the 19 is really very minimal so the the 43 really has replaced the 26. Anyway, everyone is different but I for one have come to appreciate and really like the 43. I actually enjoy shooting it quite a bit.

LockedBreech
08-22-2018, 12:24 AM
This thread got me thinking pretty deep about it and I sold my G43 and holster to a good sheriff's deputy pal of mine for enough cash to pick up a Shield 2.0 and holster or one of the PPS variants and holster.

It was a great gun, but my hand didn't like it, and with so many subcompact options out there right now, there's not really a reason not to get the one that fits your hand.

No complaints about it. Just like when I sold off my Walther P99AS. Sometimes it's just not a love connection.

rangerover
08-22-2018, 07:09 AM
Only two? I’d have to make some changes. Last time I tried to trim the “carry shelf” from 4 to 3, I wound up with 5.

I know if I were limited to two, it’d be G43 and ??

When my son thinned the herd, he went with a 43 and a 26. Got some 19 mags so he “kinda” had 3 with that setup. 19 mag and spacer for night stand and 26 mags for carry and 43 for deep carry.

Jim Watson
08-22-2018, 01:45 PM
Just heard at lunch that the local PD is going from personally owned weapons - mostly Glocks of whatever model and generation and Sig Sauers of various models, with an occasional 1911 for those who can qualify at the instructor level - to department issue G19 with a department issue G43 for backup. No doubt to simplify training and maintenance.

LockedBreech
08-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Just heard at lunch that the local PD is going from personally owned weapons - mostly Glocks of whatever model and generation and Sig Sauers of various models, with an occasional 1911 for those who can qualify at the instructor level - to department issue G19 with a department issue G43 for backup. No doubt to simplify training and maintenance.

Personally I think a liberal weapons policy is better (Chicago or LVMPD style) but if you're gonna go universal, G19/G43 is a very solid way to do that.

Edit: Though as a guy with big old mitts, I hope they keep G17 as an option for bear-paw guys. I really loved my G19 but in a duty carry context I'd prefer a 17 or 34 for better performance at mid-long range and a few extra shots. You'd still keep 99% of the universality.

Jim Watson
08-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Wonder what the troops will do with their present POWs.
Might be some interesting stuff coming on the market.

Considering that the source is a LEO's sister and she is in the market for something more effective than her J frame, hmm.

CS Tactical
08-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately I sold mine for some of the same reasons many have listed here I just didn't mush well with it in "stock" form and I didn't want to invest time and money to make it fit for me. I went back to a 19.4 and will add a snubby of some sort.

Nephrology
08-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately I sold mine for some of the same reasons many have listed here I just didn't mush well with it in "stock" form and I didn't want to invest time and money to make it fit for me. I went back to a 19.4 and will add a snubby of some sort.

I've heard early G43s had crap triggers, but the two specimens I bought new back in March had two of the best Glock triggers I've ever shot straight outta the box.

Tamara
08-22-2018, 04:32 PM
I like my 43 for reliability, but I have a hard time running it well with that popsicle stick grip.

I was never a 26 fan, but I'm currently testing a Gen5 26 for an article and it has a fantastic (for a Glock) trigger...seriously, the best out-of-the-box Glock trigger I've messed with...and the lack of finger grooves makes a difference. I'm kinda liking it for a change. This might be the first 26 I buy.

CS Tactical
08-22-2018, 05:12 PM
I've heard early G43s had crap triggers, but the two specimens I bought new back in March had two of the best Glock triggers I've ever shot straight outta the box.

I had the current connector, I was going to experiment with Talon Grips and/or stippling but decided not to.

ubervic
08-22-2018, 05:21 PM
So I took my G43 to the range yesterday for the first time, put 225 rounds through it. I was not impressed with accuracy and shootability. Not sure what I expected there.

Thoughts?

Based only on your post, you already strongly dislike the G43, and I can’t blame you. I’d sell it and move on.

Willard
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
I like my 43 for reliability, but I have a hard time running it well with that popsicle stick grip.

I was never a 26 fan, but I'm currently testing a Gen5 26 for an article and it has a fantastic (for a Glock) trigger...seriously, the best out-of-the-box Glock trigger I've messed with...and the lack of finger grooves makes a difference. I'm kinda liking it for a change. This might be the first 26 I buy.

Is the revolver a Charter Arms? If so, which gen and how do you like it? I always liked the concept, but have read a lot of negative things concerning durability / longevity. Thanks.

Tamara
08-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Is the revolver a Charter Arms? If so, which gen and how do you like it? I always liked the concept, but have read a lot of negative things concerning durability / longevity. Thanks.

Not to spoiler the review, but I'm not buying it.

JAD
08-22-2018, 08:05 PM
This is my shocked face. Respect for giving it a fair shake.

Charter Arms and Detonics: forty years of making failure look cool.

Willard
08-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Not to spoiler the review, but I'm not buying it.

Thank you ma'am.

Shawn Dodson
08-22-2018, 10:37 PM
I shoot my G43 better than my G19. It's the softest shooting and most easily controllable 9mm I've ever fired. My only mods are Pearce finger grip extension base plates on my magazines and a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve. I point it where I want my bullet to go, press the trigger and a hole appears exactly where I want it. My battle-carry load is 147gr HST, which chronographs at 980 fps.

M2CattleCo
08-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Yep. My 19 is actually my least favorite Glock, and my 43 my most favorite. I shoot them equally well.

Wow. I thought I was the only one!

The 43 is my favorite Glock and the only one I own. It's a different animal than the double stacks, but I think you could be impressed with it if you put in the effort to get good with it. They're definitely not real easy to shoot.

Nephrology
08-23-2018, 09:00 AM

My old school Gen 3 26s are my favorite glocks, to be honest. I'd probably prefer the Gen4/5s but the triggers in mine are great, thousands of rounds later. Very versatile carry pistol. +2 extensions make it into a little bobtailed G19, which is personally the sweet spot for firepower:concealability ratio for me in a t-shirt.

O4L
08-23-2018, 09:21 AM
I'm like many others here that have hands too large to grip the 43 properly. I recently tried a friends 365 and had the same problem with it.

It looks like I'll be going back to the Shield for my subcompact carry gun.

Nephrology
08-23-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm like many others here that have hands too large to grip the 43 properly. I recently tried a friends 365 and had the same problem with it.

It looks like I'll be going back to the Shield for my subcompact carry gun.

The shield is a great pistol. Only reason I sold mine is I wanted to use a striker control device.

We're lucky to live in an era with multiple high-quality single stack 9mm subcompacts. I remember not too long ago the choice was Kahr or Kel-tec.

Bucky
08-23-2018, 11:46 AM
We're lucky to live in an era with multiple high-quality single stack 9mm subcompacts. I remember not too long ago the choice was Kahr or Kel-tec.

Which for many of us, wasn't an actual choice. In that era, the only choice for many was a J frame. Not only does my 43 give me 2 extra rounds, I can shoot it WAY better than any J frame / J frame like gun I've owned.

CanineCombatives
08-23-2018, 07:53 PM
I found the talon grips added just enough extra girth to make it livable for me, might want to try them before you write it off.

Nephrology
08-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Which for many of us, wasn't an actual choice. In that era, the only choice for many was a J frame. Not only does my 43 give me 2 extra rounds, I can shoot it WAY better than any J frame / J frame like gun I've owned.

Yup, great point. I went with a no lock 442 over the Kahr/Kel-tec. Still have it, won't sell it, but I probably wouldn't buy it now that I own 2x 43s...

richiecotite
08-24-2018, 02:02 PM
My battle-carry load is 147gr HST, which chronographs at 980 fps.

It chronos 980 out of the g43?

Bucky
08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

I got a 940 average out of mine with the 147 HST, NOT +P.

Darth_Uno
08-24-2018, 03:30 PM
I don't particularly like the 43, and I want to hate it, but man it just carries so well. While I prefer to and can easily carry a 19 or 17 most of the time, the 43 fills an excellent role where a full size grip might print juuust a bit too much.

Then again, other guns may do it just as well. If you don't like the 43, that's all there is to it.

Shawn Dodson
08-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Yes. It surprised the shit out of me too. Standard velocity.

seabiscuit
08-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the inputs here. I shouldn’t have said I’d replace the 43 with a 19X. They’re for different roles.

I should probably give the 43 another shake. I do want to keep it for its size, for hiking and biking. The 43 would also fit in a hipster fanny pack for when I don’t wear shorts with a belt.

Large-handed people, how did you learn to shoot it well? Was it a matter of trigger finger position, specific drills, or just getting to a certain number of rounds through it?

I don’t see myself in a lot of NPEs. Even the 43 won’t fit in my running shorts. I’m thinking about a Hill People Gear Runner’s Kit Bag for that.

Jason M
08-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the inputs here. I shouldn’t have said I’d replace the 43 with a 19X. They’re for different roles.

I should probably give the 43 another shake. I do want to keep it for its size, for hiking and biking. The 43 would also fit in a hipster fanny pack for when I don’t wear shorts with a belt.

Large-handed people, how did you learn to shoot it well? Was it a matter of trigger finger position, specific drills, or just getting to a certain number of rounds through it?

I don’t see myself in a lot of NPEs. Even the 43 won’t fit in my running shorts. I’m thinking about a Hill People Gear Runner’s Kit Bag for that.

The short story is more trigger finger less hand, at least for me. YMMV. Lots of dry reps from the holster working toward getting a master grip each time. A solid holster that keeps the pistol in the same position all the time helps to learn the smaller grip. Think Perun or a high end AIWB. Start slow!

Doc_Glock
08-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I actually sold my G43 once, then bought the same gun back again. I have learned to love it and it is perfect for running.

Amazingly, it was the first gun I ever cleaned Dot Torture with at 5 yards. Can't explain why, but I can nail the heck out of dots with it.

vandal
08-28-2018, 11:13 AM
After running with my PPS and then G43 I initiated the process of changing my permit to the G43. It’s only 3-4oz lighter with the same payload but that made a big difference. Obviously running isn’t the only reason for the change, it just sealed the deal.

Also after identifying two mags that were not 01 marked and one Vickers +2 that did not have the proper floor plate insert (how did I do that) and getting those mags out of the rotation I had no feed issues through 100rds of 147hst (all fired one handed due to a broken left thumb).

Just have to make sure I dive the web of my xl hand deep into the back strap to avoid slide bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

farscott
08-28-2018, 12:17 PM
I recently acquired a G43 from another forum member. Added a G43 Gadget and my sights of choice. Then took it shooting along with my Robar-reshaped (removed the finger grooves and reshaped the back strap) G26.3 that I carry in a tucked Sparks Axiom for NPE. I have a lot more time on the G26, and my shooting showed it. I had trouble with a consistent grip on the G43 and perceived recoil was more with the G43. Reloads are also faster with the G26. Not sure if Robar made that much of a change, but the G26 height is (a small bit) shorter than the G43 with the flat magazine floorplate. All in all, I prefer the G26.

LockedBreech
08-28-2018, 01:10 PM
I ended up picking up a Shield M2.0 with night sights. Given that the 2.0 Compact 4" has become my G19 surrogate, it makes sense to train consistently.

I never had issue with the G43 and it's now the BUG of a deputy friend, which makes me feel good because I know it runs and the night sight is great.

There are just too many options these days not to have one that fits you close to perfectly.

On that note for anyone else looking for a subcompact, I've been seeing Walther PPS M2s for $290$-310 or even $350 for a night-sighted LE version regularly. I prefer the M1 but that's still a screaming deal.