PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Ruger MPR

Mntneer357
08-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Since ARs aren't something I'm terribly well versed on and my search-fu turned up nothin', I thought I'd ask the P-F cognoscenti...

Ruger products seem to be trending up in the firearms world. Their American series of rifles seems well thought of. Their American Predator series also seems well regarded by folks who want to try learning long(er) range stuff without making a big initial investment. More often, I'm see their 1911s recommended here as well.

This brings me to their AR rifles, specifically their MPR. I've been looking at ARs for a bit, but it seems good examples (BCM, Sionics, complete Colts) start over a grand and go up fast. When I saw Ruger's MPR (https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/models.html ) and did some online pricing, I was intrigued.

I'm a regular guy who is hoping to find a reliable, tough gun for HD, range fun ringing steel and maybe *maybe* some hog hunting at some point. Longest range I have access to is 600 yards. Would the MPR be a decently capable rifle for those goals? Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

greyghost
08-21-2018, 12:12 AM
Its a fine fun gun. I have one that I got locally for a good price and figured why not.

My observations:

It has a nice trigger, not a Geissele but damn nice.
Accuracy at 100 is very good. I got just under .90" with Hornady and was able to get a 1.5" group with Federal AE tho most were about 2". I have not shot for groups at any other range but it rings steel with no issues out where I have had access.
Castle nut is completely unstaked.
The gas key is staked, not as well as it probably should be but it is staked.
It has a whooping total of 300 rounds thru it and have not had any issues.
The handguard is a winner especially given the price, there is no sling attachment point so you will need to add one.
The muzzle break is also a winner, shoots soft and no-one complained about the blast.

I'm happy with it and plan on using it more when I have time and probably using it for coyotes. For something that is in the $600 range it is hard to beat for what it is.

Edit..to answer your specific questions:

Reliable and tough: yes with good Ruger service if needed
Range fun: yes
Hog hunting: yes
600 yards: yes
HD: it would not be my first choice but I wouldn't worry about it if it was...stake the castle nut and make sure it is happy with your chosen ammo

Tokarev
08-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Is Ruger still using the "Colt cut" on the bolt carriers?