PDA

View Full Version : FAST Drill Question

John Ralston
03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
On a drill like this one, where the initial target is small (although the distance is not terribly great), yet speed it still a requirment for expert proficiency, are you guys using a Target Focus or a Front Sight Focus?

Just curious...

joshs
03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Every time I've known I had both head hits, I had a perfectly clear front sight focus. Sometimes I am visually lazy and don't bring my focus all the way back to the front sight. I can still get my hits this way, but I cannot call the shots nearly as well. This usually leads to problems later in the drill because I am wondering if got the first hits instead of keeping my mind focused on the present. So, for me, having a front sight focus works better.

rsa-otc
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I've been running low 6's high 5's while focusing on the front sight. As I understand the press out you follow the front sight out to extention and when timed right break the shot as you reach full extention.

joshs
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
As I understand the press out you follow the front sight out to extention and when timed right break the shot as you reach full extention.

It may be better to start another thread on this topic, but you do not have to focus on the front sight to follow it to extension on the press out. I always do a press out, but very rarely do I have front sight focus on very high probability targets.

rsa-otc
03-09-2011, 08:42 PM
It may be better to start another thread on this topic, but you do not have to focus on the front sight to follow it to extension on the press out. I always do a press out, but very rarely do I have front sight focus on very high probability targets.

I agree, high probability targets don’t require perfect focus. John was asking about smaller targets.

John Ralston
03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree, high probability targets don’t require perfect focus. John was asking about smaller targets.

Yes - I wouldn't have any problem with the 8" circle and a target focus, but I was curious about the 3x5 card, and what level of focus others are using for it.

VolGrad
03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I went through the AFHF this past weekend in ATL. This was my first time running the FAST at speed. I really focused on the front site on the 3x5 but went flash on the circle.

The trick is to go as slow as you need to go to get your hits. TLG quoted Enos repeatedly, "See what you need to see ........" Even if you took an extra half/second to get each head shot that's better than taking a 2 second penalty for missing it by an inch. Also, don't "look" to see if you got the hits before proceeding.

John Ralston
03-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I went through the AFHF this past weekend in ATL. This was my first time running the FAST at speed. I really focused on the front site on the 3x5 but went flash on the circle.

The trick is to go as slow as you need to go to get your hits. TLG quoted Enos repeatedly, "See what you need to see ........" Even if you took an extra half/second to get each head shot that's better than taking a 2 second penalty for missing it by an inch. Also, don't "look" to see if you got the hits before proceeding.

Thanks.

Enos's book should be mandatory reading for shooters - it is good stuff! I also agree about looking for holes in the target - if you saw your sights there, the bullet holes should be there.

VolGrad
03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I also agree about looking for holes in the target - if you saw your sights there, the bullet holes should be there.

.... and since this drill (with a timer) is essentially a game .... what are you going to do about it if you didn't get the hits? You are still going to re-load them move on to the circle.

John Ralston
03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
.... and since this drill (with a timer) is essentially a game .... what are you going to do about it if you didn't get the hits? You are still going to re-load them move on to the circle.

True...although I think the real goal of drills like this is to become proficient with the weapon, the gear and your gun handling/operating skills. I for one, look at drills as a way to become a better overall shooter. The timer is only a way for me to measure progress, as I know I will never be as fast as those of you who have the time and money to practice more than I do :cool:

jetfire
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
On the FAST, I generally have a really refined sight picture for the first two head-shots. Practicing for those head shots by drawing and firing two shots at an index card has actually really benefited my ability to call my shots on any given target as well. Confidence on shooting the card increases my confidence in engaging targets at intermediate to long range as well. I no longer fear the 25 yard pepper popper, because if the front sight is there I'll get the hit.