PDA

View Full Version : Compact pistol light if price is no object?

LockedBreech
08-17-2018, 10:23 PM
I got a pretty nice gift card from a family member and I'd like to buy a weapon light less bulky than my preferred TLR-1HL or Surefire X300 U for my more compact guns like the M&P 2.0 Compact, Glock 19, P30, etc.

The only option I'm really seeing is the Streamlight TLR-3.

1.) Is the TLR-3 good to go?

2.) If not, what is?

I tried the search function both here and on Google and just had a heck of a time finding a clear answer.

sikiguya
08-17-2018, 10:32 PM
I just picked up an Inforce APL-C for my M&P 2.0 compact. It works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
08-17-2018, 10:33 PM
What about the Surefire XC1 or the Streamlight TLR-7? They’re both smaller than the X300U and the TLR-1. I think they’re both sized to be flush with the muzzle of a G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pangloss
08-17-2018, 10:36 PM
I bought a TLR3 to put on my dad's G17 a few years ago. It's a nightstand gun that he rarely shoots, but so far he hasn't had any problems with it. It might have 500 rounds, at the very most, on it, so I can't really give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

LockedBreech
08-17-2018, 10:39 PM
I haven't heard about Inforce, that Surefire light, and I thought the highest TLR number was 4.

Clearly my light knowledge is about 7 years outdated for some reason.

LockedBreech
08-17-2018, 10:40 PM
I bought a TLR3 to put on my dad's G17 a few years ago. It's a nightstand gun that he rarely shoots, but so far he hasn't had any problems with it. It might have 500 rounds, at the very most, on it, so I can't really give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

It would likely work fine for me, I am a desk jockey and my stuff isn't treated very poorly. I just like to buy stuff that will do well if I ever DO have to treat it poorly.

Olim9
08-17-2018, 10:42 PM
The TLR3 in my opinion is inferior to most WML’s especially the fact that the XC1 and TLR7/8 are a thing. Even then, it’s not as robust as a TLR1 or X300. The TLR3 isn’t worth the squeeze considering the miserable output, a handheld would be a better option.

LockedBreech
08-17-2018, 10:44 PM
The TLR3 in my opinion is inferior to most WML’s especially the fact that the XC1 and TLR7/8 are a thing. Even then, it’s not as robust as a TLR1 or X300. The TLR3 isn’t worth the squeeze considering the miserable output, a handheld would be a better option.

I do have a Surefire handheld for when I have my professional messenger bag/satchel (fine, assholes, man purse), but I am looking for an option when I don't have the carry room for a handheld as well as my firearm, as well as an option for smaller guns that can fit full-size roles (G19, P30) and aren't quite as...clunky as a full size option.

Both the TLR-7 and XC-1 look like precisely what I meant, so we might be at Thread Accomplished pretty quickly.

I have not used Inforce before. I tend to lean toward Surefire & Streamlight due to excellent experience with both brands. If Fenix had a weaponlight I would be inclined to check it out as well.

sikiguya
08-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Also look at st plight PL mini

HopetonBrown
08-17-2018, 11:08 PM
I just picked up an Inforce APL-C for my M&P 2.0 compact. It works well.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI had an APL. The light died after a 300 round pistol course. Inforce were great with replacing it. I shipped it back to them along with their WML that arrived dead in the box. I used the APL in a night match; the paddles were much too sensitive and were easy to accidentally turn on and off while running and gunning. My friend borrowed it for the next match. The same thing happened to him.

rcbusmc24
08-17-2018, 11:50 PM
I will not give Inforce another dollar... they suck that bad. I am a unashamed surefire fanboy, and have a dozen plus x300u 's in service, that said of the compact pistol lights the best ones currently on the market are the streamlight tlr7/8 series lights. If I didn't have literally a thousand dollars invested in holsters for sf x300a/b series lights I would be equipping several smaller carry guns with them.

Also if you cant find room for a hand held light in your pocket stop carrying something else in order to make room for it. Ive found a need to point light at a lot more things than I have needed to point my pistol at.

LockedBreech
08-18-2018, 12:12 AM
I am very very happy with what i see of the TLR-7 and likely that's gonna be the winner.

Also if you cant find room for a hand held light in your pocket stop carrying something else in order to make room for it. Ive found a need to point light at a lot more things than I have needed to point my pistol at.

My job involves a large amount of wearing dress clothes that don't hide stuff well at all. between my phone, wallet, pocket knife, and keys I already look like I'm walking around with my pockets stuffed. I simply do not have room and I have no idea how to create more.

Again, when I can have my messenger bag with me, which is usually, it's no issue, I've got a Surefire G2X I got on PF Secret Santa 2016!

TC215
08-18-2018, 12:55 AM
I’ve been using an XC-1B on my Glock 19 I carry on duty. I’ve been very happy with it.

Olim9
08-18-2018, 04:12 AM
I am very very happy with what i see of the TLR-7 and likely that's gonna be the winner.

My job involves a large amount of wearing dress clothes that don't hide stuff well at all. between my phone, wallet, pocket knife, and keys I already look like I'm walking around with my pockets stuffed. I simply do not have room and I have no idea how to create more.

Again, when I can have my messenger bag with me, which is usually, it's no issue, I've got a Surefire G2X I got on PF Secret Santa 2016!

Have you looked into trying out Raven Concealment’s Pocket Shield? I’m not sure how to use it but it was designed for more formal pants pockets and from what I hear it helps conceal things like TQ’s, knives, lights, as it reduces the overall print of objects in a pocket. Not light related but could be something you’re looking for.

https://www.mdtstraining.com/moduloader-pocket-shield/

BillSWPA
08-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Putting the phone in a Maxpedition belt pouch would free some pocket space for something else. No one will question a phone on your belt.

SoCalDep
08-18-2018, 10:23 AM
I would highly recommend trying the lights on the guns you're going to use or at least search on line to see how they're mounted. I have a Surefire XC-1B, Streamlight TLR-7, and Inforce APL-C. I don't like the APL-C at all, the TLR-7 is really nice and has the best beam, but the way it mounts places the switches much further forward than the XC-1B so I have the XC-1B on my carry gun. Depending on your hand size and how you grip the pistol this could be a big deal for effective use of the light. Depending on the size of the pistol you are carrying, the Streamlight TLR-6 could be a decent option, but it also puts the switch at a somewhat unnatural distance for my support thumb.

I highly recommend that whatever light you choose, you DO NOT regularly use your trigger finger to control the light. The only time I would do that is if I had no choice (injured/carrying my child, etc.).

None of the current compact WMLs are ideal in my opinion, but The Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro (doesn't work on a rail... it attaches to the trigger guard) at least has a pressure switch. It's not quick to install/remove like the rail mounted lights, and it's only available for Glocks, the Springfield XD-S, and the Shield. Also, it's only 150 lumens, but the beam profile is well done.

I'm happy to hear you're still planning to have/use a hand-held light. Too many people take an either/or position and in reality both have their purpose and place. My duty and off-duty guns have WMLs and I still carry at least one hand-held tactical light as well. (My backup Glock 43 used to have a Laserguard Pro but the pocket holster I was using sucked, frayed, and started to catch on the draw, so I went back to the good pocket holster that doesn't support the light. Now I'm looking for or making a new pocket holster for the Laserguard Pro setup).

DamonL
08-18-2018, 10:33 AM
I was researching light and laser combo's recently. A little different than what the OP asked. I thought the Lasermax Spartan and Streamlight TLR 8 were good options. The main difference was in battery type and brightness. I haven't handled them yet so I have no opinion yet. Cost is a factor for me so the surefire was not considered.

Beat Trash
08-18-2018, 12:17 PM
I had a couple of the Inforce APL’s. The battery’s would drain to the point of being dead within about two months of sitting unused in a drawer.

Nephrology
08-18-2018, 12:57 PM
I have 2x TLR-7s on 2x Glock 19s. I am happy with them so far, but admittedly I haven't put them through the ringer yet. They carry well, that's for sure.

That Guy
08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
I own a single Inforce APL gen 3. My experience has been more positive than what I'm reading here. Not sure if I just got lucky and got a better than average sample, or if the bad experiences are with older Inforce products, or what.

I have not used Inforce before. I tend to lean toward Surefire & Streamlight due to excellent experience with both brands. If Fenix had a weaponlight I would be inclined to check it out as well.

I think if Fenix were an acceptable brand, Inforce should be as well.

I used the APL in a night match; the paddles were much too sensitive and were easy to accidentally turn on and off while running and gunning. My friend borrowed it for the next match. The same thing happened to him.

This is interesting. The paddles on mine are definitely not the same. There is quite a bit of slack in the movement of the paddle before the light comes on. I've never had an issue with the light coming on accidentally. Almost the opposite - I have to take care to press the paddle deep enough to activate the light, especially when doing drills against the clock.

I had a couple of the Inforce APL’s. The battery’s would drain to the point of being dead within about two months of sitting unused in a drawer.

Not my experience either. I've never had the light completely die, and I change the battery perhaps... once every four months or so?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
08-18-2018, 01:59 PM
I have 2x TLR-7s on 2x Glock 19s. I am happy with them so far, but admittedly I haven't put them through the ringer yet. They carry well, that's for sure.

How hard is it to find holsters for that setup?

Nephrology
08-18-2018, 02:15 PM
How hard is it to find holsters for that setup?

JMCK makes a Wing Claw for it that I am very pleased with.

jwperry
08-18-2018, 02:25 PM
My personal preference, due the switch-ology, is the Inforce APL. I've had good luck with all my full sized ones. I did have to send my APLc back for repair, one of the paddles failed. I had it back in less than 2 weeks. The APL sits muzzle flush with G17/PX4/P226 sized guns. I use Nitecore rechargeable batteries in all my EDC lights, so the batteries get rotated weekly. I cannot comment on premature battery drain.

I picked up a TLR8 recently. I really, really like this light and will like only purchase TLR7/TLR8 lights in the future.

psalms144.1
08-18-2018, 02:42 PM
I like the switches and size of the APL-C, but I found that unless I tighten the bezel with retard strength, I'll get intermittent "stuttering" light from it. My buddy's copy had the battery drain issue, went back twice then was replaced. So, I'm not sure it's ready for primetime.

I have the TLR7 - not sure about the switches - kind of hard to reach

sikiguya
08-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Dang, didn’t I just buy this from you?! What’s your refund policy?! Lol!

Nephrology
08-18-2018, 03:42 PM
I have the TLR7 - not sure about the switches - kind of hard to reach

Switches aren't the best, but on/off is very achievable with support hand thumb. I would say the switches are definitely the weak point on the TLR7.

psalms144.1
08-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Switches aren't the best, but on/off is very achievable with support hand thumb. I would say the switches are definitely the weak point on the TLR7.Not for those of us with gimped up support hands that can't achieve a hard thumbs forward grip. I can only activate the switch with my trigger finger, unfortunately...

awp_101
08-18-2018, 05:25 PM
I got a pretty nice gift card from a family member and I'd like to buy a weapon light less bulky than my preferred TLR-1HL or Surefire X300 U for my more compact guns like the M&P 2.0 Compact, Glock 19, P30, etc.

The only option I'm really seeing is the Streamlight TLR-3.

1.) Is the TLR-3 good to go?

2.) If not, what is?

I tried the search function both here and on Google and just had a heck of a time finding a clear answer.

I've got 2 TLR-3 but only 1 is on a for real serious use pistol. I picked them up based on price so I can get familiar with using a WML before laying out serious money for something. I think I've got 50-100 rounds through the compact 92 with the light attached and it still works but I know that's not even a good start to evaluate endurance. I've found I can run the light with my support hand thumb.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/932/43006537764_d2c3a08d97_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28wkKmq)

CDFIII
08-18-2018, 10:14 PM
I have an Xc1 b mounted to one of my 19x bifocal pistols. I have had it since the release and have a few thousand rounds on the gun with light attached. Seems very solid and have had no loosening of mounting screw and none of the flickering issues experienced with the first xc1. Is it X300U powerful.. absolutely not. Is it better than the original xc1... definitely. At 300 lumens it’s bright enough to identify what you are looking for. It’s also compact enough that carrying it doesn’t feel any better or worse for me than a 19 without any light at all.

beenalongtime
08-18-2018, 11:56 PM
If price was no object, wouldn't you simply have one made to your specs? (size/brightness/power consumption, etc)

LockedBreech
08-19-2018, 12:47 AM
If price was no object, wouldn't you simply have one made to your specs? (size/brightness/power consumption, etc)

Didn’t even know that was possible. Unless you’re poking fun and being pedantic. Which is fair.

NH Shooter
08-19-2018, 04:58 AM
Just as an FYI...

Malkoff now has a v.2 version of the Bodyguard head rated at 1,000 lumens and 12,000 candela;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/parts-and-miscellaneous-items/products/mdc-bodyguard-v2-head

Place this head on the 1-CR123 shroudless body (https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/parts-and-miscellaneous-items/products/mdc-shroudless-123-body) and run it on an IMR 16340 cell (https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries/16340-efest-imr16340-v1-700mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html) and you will have a true pocket-rocket that is also built like a tank. I'm getting the new v.2 head as soon as they are available again.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/edc-5.jpg

Beat Trash
08-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Dang, didn’t I just buy this from you?! What’s your refund policy?! Lol!

I doubt it. I sold the lights on a different site in October of 2016. That does bring up a point though. My experience with the Inforce APL may be dated. They may have improved the light with a new, "Generation" since then and the newer version may have corrected some of the issues. But I'm at the point that I look to Surefire or Streetlight for pistol lights.

LockedBreech
08-28-2018, 01:57 PM
I just got my P30 in today (yay for long term wish list items being scratched off).

Looks like it would be about the perfect size for the XC1 or the TLR-7 (most likely I'll go TLR-7, can't justify the extra $130 for the XC1). Anyone have either of those mounted to a P30 so I could see what that looks like? Standard 3.86" barrel.

ST911
08-28-2018, 02:32 PM
TLR7 on clearance at Midway, $100.39
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/579821/streamlight-tlr-7-weapon-light-white-led-fits-picatinny-or-glock-style-rails-aluminum-matte

Trukinjp13
08-28-2018, 04:58 PM
I just got a tlr7. Works damn well. My trigger finger is too short to activate with a grip on it. But works great with support thumb. Very bright at night. Feels sturdy and well built. Just ordered jmck iwb3 for her as well.

Nephrology
08-28-2018, 06:54 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/579821/streamlight-tlr-7-weapon-light-white-led-fits-picatinny-or-glock-style-rails-aluminum-matte

That's a great price.

LockedBreech
08-28-2018, 07:54 PM
I grabbed the TLR7 at the $100 price. Thanks for the link.

So I guess I am the one who will contribute the P30 + TLR7 and M&P Compact + TLR7 pics :)

Nephrology
08-28-2018, 08:15 PM
I grabbed the TLR7 at the $100 price. Thanks for the link.

So I guess I am the one who will contribute the P30 + TLR7 and M&P Compact + TLR7 pics :)

10 years with Glock. Going for 10 more.

https://i.imgur.com/FYx0PWN.jpg

LockedBreech
08-28-2018, 08:22 PM
10 years with Glock. Going for 10 more.

https://i.imgur.com/FYx0PWN.jpg

Wow, it has been out for ten years?!

Nephrology
08-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Wow, it has been out for ten years?!

In my mind's eye, it has ;)

Sero Sed Serio
08-28-2018, 10:38 PM

Thank you for that. A TLR-7 was on the wishlist. Operative word being "was."

CR78
08-29-2018, 08:31 AM
Is the fact that the TLR-7 is on "clearance" indicative of anything? Like a new version to be released?

beenalongtime
08-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Is the fact that the TLR-7 is on "clearance" indicative of anything? Like a new version to be released?

That same clearance price is/was Amazon's price yesterday. Part of me is cynical enough to wonder if they are just going to be ordering them through Amazon, with the intent of collecting a bunch of new customer data, and part of me thinks they are clearing out slower moving, expensive stock.

Trukinjp13
08-29-2018, 08:48 AM
I bought two off amazon last week for 100$ prime shipped.

Trukinjp13
08-29-2018, 06:22 PM
I bought two off amazon last week for 100$ prime shipped.

This came in today. Works pretty damn awesome for owb. High and tight since the light adds nothing to length. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/07e42b73b5c98accd5129a5c6ff9d331.jpg

LockedBreech
08-30-2018, 12:51 PM
I am trying to find a holster setup that'll fit an HK P30 with the TLR-7 and I might just have to order something custom.

SilentSc0rch
08-30-2018, 02:23 PM

I have the same setup but I've put a couple thousand rounds through my first TLR-7 and it hasn't skipped a beat. Thoroughly impressed with these little lights, especially considering I can appendix carry a 19 with an RMR and a proper light all day very comfortably.

Trukinjp13
08-30-2018, 02:59 PM
I am trying to find a holster setup that'll fit an HK P30 with the TLR-7 and I might just have to order something custom.

Have you spoke with jmck? Besides some shitty ebay holster their may not be any quick ship type options.

Irelander
08-30-2018, 03:15 PM

Sorry for the slight derail.

What holster is that? Dark Star Gear?

LockedBreech
08-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Have you spoke with jmck? Besides some shitty ebay holster their may not be any quick ship type options.

That is likely who I'll use. I generally prefer leather to Kydex but they have great reviews here.

ubervic
08-30-2018, 03:20 PM
That is likely who I'll use. I generally prefer leather to Kydex but they have great reviews here.

JMCK is a slam-dunk all day long.

CDFIII
08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Sorry for the slight derail.

What holster is that? Dark Star Gear?

Yes sir! You are correct.

Trukinjp13
08-30-2018, 03:30 PM

I have bought quite a few from them. And turned my friend on to them as well. He could not believe how much better it was for just being “another kydex holster” lmao. The iwb3 works amazing for concealment. He is also good about telling you what cant/holster setup that will work for your body type or gun setup.

Good luck man!

LockedBreech
09-05-2018, 07:48 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/9694b34b4aea4e25138ace7c2fe9a5da.jpg

Love it. It’s kinda cute. And bright!

SilentSc0rch
09-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Because having just one would be ridiculous.

Mirolynmonbro
09-06-2018, 01:41 PM
I dig it https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/1e23084d253581c38bf472bc7ec76494.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

El Cid
09-07-2018, 06:37 AM
Inforce has great form factor but reliability isn’t there. The XC-1 is bright enough to use inside a phone booth but has so little throw that all you’re doing is telling the other person where to shoot. I haven’t tried the B version but after buying a TLR-7 I don’t see a reason to bother. And that’s from a SF fan boy.

Holster on left is Raven with X300u. Holster on right is JMCK with TLR-7. (Reverse that on 2nd pic)

https://i.imgur.com/L4ovj34_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/UJFEPxf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Trukinjp13
09-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Inforce has great form factor but reliability isn’t there. The XC-1 is bright enough to use inside a phone booth but has so little throw that all you’re doing is telling the other person where to shoot. I haven’t tried the B version but after buying a TLR-7 I don’t see a reason to bother. And that’s from a SF fan boy.

Holster on left is Raven with X300u. Holster on right is JMCK with TLR-7. (Reverse that on 2nd pic)

That jmck is beautiful. I love his iwb3 but never tried the owb. It looks high and tight.

GJM
09-07-2018, 08:17 AM
JM for TLR-8

LockedBreech
09-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Thank you heartily for this post. That JMCK is exactly what I want for my p30

Trukinjp13
09-08-2018, 09:06 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180908/ebc16ad59c01a5aa0e4241ab3438fca5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180908/75dd21833e76eb282eb5f3ec34f03586.jpg

The tlr7 is complete. Jmck iwb3 ftmfw