PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Pet Peeves

Rverdi
03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I wrote this awhile ago, for publication in another place and never really got to it. Hopefully it'll stir some convo her.

Over the course of my career, I have been lucky enough to train with some of the best instructors in the world … and also lucky enough to train with some of the worst. I consider my time spent with the worst just as valuable because it’s given me the opportunity to make note of some of the things that I try NEVER to do when I teach a class. Many instructors who know what they’re talking about will quickly tell you that shooting and teaching are two very different things and having been on the range with many gifted shooters who simply can’t teach, I’m a believer.
The list is certainly not all-inclusive and hopefully it will foster some discussion on other things we can all avoid while teaching.
In no particular order, my top ten;

#1. Unprepared

There is perhaps nothing more disheartening than spending money on, traveling to, and spending time in a class that the instructor couldn’t care less about. I’ve seen it all: no lesson plans, no targets, no staples, you name it. Quite often instructors on an unfamiliar range seemed surprised that they didn’t have the target system they need or the barricades the want. Checking the facility beforehand is something any good instructor should do, if for no other reason than to make sure it’s safe. A little preparation to make sure you have what you need to teach the class goes a long way towards making your students comfortable in your ability to transfer information.

#2. Late

We expect students to be on time and there are very few adequate excuses for an instructor being late. For me, being late doesn’t mean the instructor arrived by the time the class was supposed to begin, it means the instructor arrived early enough to make sure his class can begin at the scheduled time. If that means I get there an hour early or the night before, so be it. My student paid for an 8 hour class and should get one. Not an hour of range setup and 7 hours of class.

#3. Long Breaks

Students don’t need 30 minutes every hour to load magazines and take on water. My take on instructors who continually take long breaks is that they simply don’t have enough material (see #1). Unfortunately it’s easy to let “top off your mags and get a drink” become 45 minutes of swapping lies. The instructor needs to take control and get the students on the line. That’s what they came for.

#4. No Breaks

While most instructors who commit this one (I have been guilty in the past) are doing so out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s still a problem. Attention spans on humans are short and people need to drink! Students quickly lose interst if they feel like they are being beaten on the range. I make a point of telling my students I can be guilty of this and asking them to remind me if I forget. When they do, I break the class and apologize.

#5. Making Fun of Students/Guns/Gear

People make mistakes when taking classes and using it against them simply guarantees the student will tune you out for the rest of the day. Likewise, guns and gear are personal choices and criticizing them will aggravate your student who will then just stop listening. Be open about these things despite your personal choices. Your job is to teach them to run what they brought.

#6. Not Knowing Your Audience or Being Unable to Adjust Your Style

This one kind of goes along with #1 but is a bit different. First, it’s important to know whom you’re teaching. A friend of mine attended a class filled with some pretty skilled gun guys a few years back. A guest instructor spent more time on the safety portion of his class than I spend with recruits! We dry fired more than we live fired and were probably half way thru the class before he “allowed” us to put some real ammo in the guns. This despite the fact that their were several IDPA Master Class shooters in the class as well as some industry instructors … not cool.
It’s also important to recognize that you are going to get classes that are a mixed bag as far as skill levels go and you need to be able to adjust. I hate being in a class and seeing that someone is being left behind because the instructor can only teach at one level.

#7. Sloppy

Maybe it’s the cop in me, but I hate sloppy instructors. It just doesn’t make me feel confident about their abilities. One of my top 5 instructors is a former Marine who makes liberal use of the ironing board in his hotel room and it shows. Of course we’re all going to be a little rumpled after a day on the range but it says something about the instructor if you show up in the morning looking crisp and ready to go.

#8. Complainers

All ranges aren’t perfect, all classes aren’t perfect, all weather isn’t perfect … suck it up and make it work. Our goal is to make the students focus on the training, not on what equipment is missing, the cold/heat, the hard concrete, etc. Put a smile on your face and run your class.

#9. This Is “The” Way

Teaching people how to fight with a gun involves options and if you only have one, you haven’t studied your craft much. There are multiple ways to use a flashlight, use cover, shoot and move, etc. Teach your students options and work through them so they can decide what works for them.

#10. No Demos

I can shoot pretty well, certainly not to the level of some people reading this article but well enough to get along. I DO however demo the drills I teach in a class. Demonstrations perform a multitude of functions. They show the student what can be achieved because the instructor just did it. It gives them confidence in the instructor, the student needs to know that you know what you’re doing. I recently took a very good class from a well prepared instructor, good material, great lesson plan. Throughout the class he never took his gun out of the holster … I wasn’t impressed.

I have a few more, but they’re small, so I’ll leave it at ten. My intention was to generate some discussion, so feel free to add your own.

LittleLebowski
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I can't stand an instructor who ridicules students. I've seen it happen a few times.

dookie1481
03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Bad-mouthing other instructors. Names were never used, but the references were thinly-veiled. I think that's pretty tacky, whether or not the instructor's assessment is correct.

TAP
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Good post Rich.

What are some pet peeves the instructor has regarding students?

I can't stand an instructor who ridicules students. I've seen it happen a few times.

There is a fine line here. I have seen some instructors go back and forth jokingly with students with no issues. I have also seen it taken a little too far.

Rverdi
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
What are some pet peeves the instructor has regarding students?
Off the top of my head...

Late for class, late back from lunch, late for anything.

Unprepared. Most instructors are clear about the equipment needed, if the class calls for 6 mags and you show up with three, everyone suffers.

Closed minded. One thing I learned in an off hand comment from TLG is the idea that I'll cheerfully do whatever the instructor suggests for the class and make a decision about it's value at the conclusion of the class.

Try to accurately estimate your own abilities. Quite recently I had a student show up for a class that was advertised as an advanced class. He was a beginner to say the least and was royally pissed when I asked him to step out. frankly, I'm happy to help a less skilled student along, but he was downright unsafe.

Dismissive of safety rules. I've had several students who informed me that based on their LE/Mil/Spec Ops/MI-6 experience, it was ok to point guns where they shouldn't, cover the trigger when they shouldn't and just generally be a shit head with their pistol.

There is a fine line here. I have seen some instructors go back and forth jokingly with students with no issues. I have also seen it taken a little too far.

I agree, I keep the mood pretty light and try to make the range fun, but like every other human interaction you have to try to keep clear of things that are offensive.

Not too long ago I was in an LE class taught by a very well known instructor. He demo'd a fairly simple drill on a timer with his STI race gun and then began walking down the line loudly timing each student on the same drill and ridiculing each student who didn't match his time with their duty guns/holsters. When he got to me I asked him if he would show us how it looks with my stock 226 and Safariland 6280. He wasn't amused. Neither was I and left the class. He may have had something to say, but at that point I was already done listening.

orionz06
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Bad-mouthing other instructors. Names were never used, but the references were thinly-veiled. I think that's pretty tacky, whether or not the instructor's assessment is correct.

I disagree, to an extent. If there is a disagreement on technique or something else, and it is explained, I have no issues with someone calling BS. That being said, there is probably a VERY short list of people that can get away with that. They also have plenty of evidence to support their reasoning.

Rverdi
03-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess if something was completely ridiculous, sure, I could see disagreeing.
But, for me, the idea of taking a class is to see and try new things. I try to give them a chance and see if the instructor is on to something.
For example, I can't count how many students I've shown a thumbs forward grip, watched them struggle and by the end of the day they are telling me how much it improved their shooting.

Odin Bravo One
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the post R. Sound observations. As usual. Fortunately I am only guilty of one or two. Maybe 3. Definately guilty of no breaks, but I am working on it.

YVK
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
In addition to what's mentioned above:

- Poor instructor to student ratios, especially if class is run with all students on the line at the same time.

- Poor AIs: I've been to classes where good adjunct staff made a lot of positive influence, and I've been to classes where AIs were annoying and distracting.

- Overtly simplistic explanations [my favorite is "all you need to to do is press trigger without disturbing sight alignment" - doh, really, never knew that] or explanations I can understand the logic behind.

Chipster
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Posting that a class has prerequisites and then not following them. I hate showing up to a class only to see Mom and Pop unpacking their brand new guns and Uncle Mikes nylon paddle holster to an "Advanced" class. The only thing worse was there hillbilly son in the trench coat that was eerily "Blade" like in his appearance.

I also had this happen at Blackwater once with some folks that were fair competitive shooters but severely out of place in a "LE-MIL Only" class. They conducted the shooting drills but when it came time for force-on-force or the practical "Hogans Alley" segment they held us up ALOT!

irishshooter
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Posting that a class has prerequisites and then not following them. I hate showing up to a class only to see Mom and Pop unpacking their brand new guns and Uncle Mikes nylon paddle holster to an "Advanced" class.

This!! +infinity. also on the other hand the TactiCool student who pulls up in a Hummer with 5.11 or Blackhawk everything, knee pads, elbow pads, Oakley Goggles, Kevlar gloves, Operator pants, Converse desert tan boots, Electronic muffs with microphone attachment, KaBAr knife in small of back that sweeps everyone and cant hit his target for sHi&!

John Ralston
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
This!! +infinity. also on the other hand the TactiCool student who pulls up in a Hummer with 5.11 or Blackhawk everything, knee pads, elbow pads, Oakley Goggles, Kevlar gloves, Operator pants, Converse desert tan boots, Electronic muffs with microphone attachment, KaBAr knife in small of back that sweeps everyone and cant hit his target for sHi&!

On PF you can actually say Shit...:D

Occam's Razor
03-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Students who've been to other classes and have absolutely closed minds to anything that isn't in line with "So and So". I've always tried to show different aspects of certain issues (safety is not one of them), but you always seem to get the ass who says "Well soandso said this and that and the other...... but then still can't hit shit because he didn't even take soanso's instruction.

ToddG
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
O's R: fwiw, the advice I've been given by folks far more experienced than me, and which I try to follow, is to let the So-and-So Worshipper do it his way (as long as he's safe, of course).

I try to explain what I do and why I do it. From there, if a student absolutely positively prefers to shoot while standing on one foot and pulling the trigger with his pinky, as long as he keeps the muzzle in a safe direction he can knock himself out.

VolGrad
03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I try to explain what I do and why I do it. From there, if a student absolutely positively prefers to shoot while standing on one foot and pulling the trigger with his pinky, as long as he keeps the muzzle in a safe direction he can knock himself out.True.

You made it clear you would show us how you recommend doing something but IF we chose to do it some other way (as long as it is safe) just to tell you, "I'm not doing it that way.", and you'd leave us alone. That definitely gained you respect in most people's book. You could tell just by looking at everyone's face.

VolGrad
03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
In addition to what's mentioned above:

- Poor instructor to student ratios, especially if class is run with all students on the line at the same time.

- Poor AIs: I've been to classes where good adjunct staff made a lot of positive influence, and I've been to classes where AIs were annoying and distracting.

Good post.

I recall the first few classes I took (most with the same instructor) it seemed like we probably had well over a dozen, maybe 16 students with 1 instructor. All shooters were on the line at the same time. I learned from those classes but mostly because I was on the front end of the curve (didn't know anything) and was paying attention to the guys in the class (like TAP) that I had already figured out what knew what they were doing. I received very little 1-1 interaction from the Instructor.

Only when I started taking classes from quality instructors (most which had AI on site) that had students shoot in 2 squads did I really feel like I was getting individual attention. It makes a world of difference.

Regarding AIs. I took an advanced level class once where there were approximately 15-18 students, 1 main instructor, 3 AIs and and admin type guy milling around. The AIs were all former students (but did have NRA Instructor certificates) that might have been class standouts but they added very little to the class. In fact, during a couple of demos I saw them hanging out behind the line playing gun fight with blue guns, twirling them on their fingers, etc. They were back there chatting incessantly and general annoying the piss out of me. I made sure to point it out in the class evaluation. NO idea if it helped as I've not taken any further classes from that outfit. Too bad too since the lead instructor was excellent.

EDIT: It's also in poor form for an instructor to OC spray a student in the face by surprise. Just sayin'.

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree, but shouldn't the instructor vet students prior to admitting them to an "advanced" class?

Posting that a class has prerequisites and then not following them. I hate showing up to a class only to see Mom and Pop unpacking their brand new guns and Uncle Mikes nylon paddle holster to an "Advanced" class. The only thing worse was there hillbilly son in the trench coat that was eerily "Blade" like in his appearance.

I also had this happen at Blackwater once with some folks that were fair competitive shooters but severely out of place in a "LE-MIL Only" class. They conducted the shooting drills but when it came time for force-on-force or the practical "Hogans Alley" segment they held us up ALOT!

David Pennington
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I wrote this awhile ago, for publication in another place and never really got to it. Hopefully it'll stir some convo her.

#1. Unprepared

There is perhaps nothing more disheartening than spending money on, traveling to, and spending time in a class that the instructor couldn’t care less about. I’ve seen it all: no lesson plans,

Lack of a written lesson plan is not always a sign of being unprepared. Some guys have been doing for so long that their lesson plans and drills are imprinted into there permanent memory. I use a written lesson plan because I have the memory of a 93 year old but some guys know it by heart. I use the plan to make sure that no vital points are missed.

People make mistakes when taking classes and using it against them simply guarantees the student will tune you out for the rest of the day. Likewise, guns and gear are personal choices and criticizing them will aggravate your student who will then just stop listening. Be open about these things despite your personal choices. Your job is to teach them to run what they brought.

If someone is running crappy gear, it is your responsibility to let them know it. They are paying for your knowledge and experience and this is part of it. If somebody shows up with a $12 gun show holster or a HiPoint you can be certain that I'd talk to them about their choice of equipment. They are welcome to disregard my advice but I owe it to them to steer them in the right direction.

#7. Sloppy

Maybe it’s the cop in me, but I hate sloppy instructors. It just doesn’t make me feel confident about their abilities. One of my top 5 instructors is a former Marine who makes liberal use of the ironing board in his hotel room and it shows. Of course we’re all going to be a little rumpled after a day on the range but it says something about the instructor if you show up in the morning looking crisp and ready to go.

You can't always judge a book by its cover. I've had some pretty sloppy, laid back instructors who were awesome and some who were so concerned about their wardrobe and image that they didn't have much to offer beyond being pretty. I certainly fall into the sloppy camp, dress wise, but I don't think that influences who I am or how I teach. Pressed 5:11s, Multicam, and school shirts don’t make an instructor.

As to vetting students, it just doesn’t consistently work. I’ve seen guys with all sorts of “advanced” this and that certificates from big name schools/agencies that sucked. It’s not uncommon and most schools give you a certificate for finishing and not shooting anyone else as long as the check clears the bank. I’ve also seen guys who spent the last 20 years as a recreational shooter and gun queer that absolutely rocked because it was their passion.

John Ralston
03-11-2011, 03:22 PM
If someone is running crappy gear, it is your responsibility to let them know it. They are paying for your knowledge and experience and this is part of it. If somebody shows up with a $12 gun show holster or a HiPoint you can be certain that I'd talk to them about their choice of equipment. They are welcome to disregard my advice but I owe it to them to steer them in the right direction.

That is a lot different than making fun of or ridiculing a student in front of the class. Constructive criticism is actually quite professional, the other isn't even remotely acceptable.

David Marlow
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I've only participated in two "professionally" taught classes, both by the same instructor. They were free, and I assume were meant to get his name out there so he could start charging fees, but I may be wrong. The AI comment is spot on. The AI this instructor had was one of his previous students and apparently spent a whole bunch of money on guns and ammo, but having shot with her in the past, I knew she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. She was trying to demonstrate the "crush grip", but couldn't and ended up really just being an additional student since quite a few of us had significantly more training and experience than her.

My take on it was that he allowed her to be an AI because she's a younger, not unattractive woman and he's an old retired dude.

It was free, so it was worth the money.

ToddG
03-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Lack of a written lesson plan is not always a sign of being unprepared. Some guys have been doing for so long that their lesson plans and drills are imprinted into there permanent memory.

Agreed 100%. I don't want to speak for Rich, but I'm pretty sure that when he said no lesson plan he meant no lesson plan, not just the lack of a hard copy within view of the students.

When I first started running AFHF classes, you'd see me with my orange binder in hand for almost every drill and lecture. Now, I bring it along primarily out of habit. In contrast, this past weekend I ran a Get SOM/Speed Kills combo and relied on my course of fire notes heavily because I haven't taught those specific programs as many times as AFHF.

But we've all been to classes in which the instructor stands around and thinks out loud about what drill he wants to do next. That guy has no lesson plan, and odds are the overall program isn't well thought out.

The two things that really drove home my insistence on writing formal lesson plans were being involved at IALEFI (they're required for anyone who wishes to teach at the annual conference) and watching Super Dave Harrington teach down at Range 37 while he was still in the Army. Dave had a detailed four week long course outline that he wrote not so much because he needed it, but so that all of his fellow instructors could refer to it and so that they had a solid omnibus document to guide them once he left.

If someone is running crappy gear, it is your responsibility to let them know it.

But there is a big difference between pulling someone aside and saying, "Dude, you need to do some research on the Hi-Point before you rely on that thing" and "Holy Bejuzees you limp-livered goat lover! Why in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster did you buy that POS gun? You suck!"

There are ways to communicate disapproval that don't require an instructor to embarrass a student in front of his peers. And of course another part of the equation is being good at reading people and figuring out where their limits are. Some students love to joke around and be joked with. Some are very sensitive. And too often, you get the guy who loves to dish it out but can't take any criticism himself. You need different strategies for all of them.

You can't always judge a book by its cover.

Agreed, and I certainly don't press my slacks before teaching. But the reality is that our appearance does convey something about professionalism. If you were about to have surgery and the doctor walked in wearing ripped blue jeans and a stained t-shirt, you are probably going to spike your blood pressure a bit. :cool:

As to vetting students, it just doesn’t consistently work.

True. I stopped using prior classes and went to skill-based prerequisites, but I still get about 10-25% of students in any given class who cannot meet the requirements at the beginning of day one.

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I still get about 10-25% of students in any given class who cannot meet the requirements at the beginning of day one.

This is why I've been looking for basic pistol classes in my area for when I'm home on vacation - while I'd love to take the classes described in the other section, I know that I'm nowhere near ready for them.

ToddG
03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
This is why I've been looking for basic pistol classes in my area for when I'm home on vacation - while I'd love to take the classes described in the other section, I know that I'm nowhere near ready for them.

Find a VSM (http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/) class. It's probably the best structured, most vetted "beginners" program you'll ever find.

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Find a VSM (http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/) class. It's probably the best structured, most vetted "beginners" program you'll ever find.

Thanks for the link!

I don't want to pull the thread further off-topic - may I send you a PM with a few questions?

LittleLebowski
03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the link!

I don't want to pull the thread further off-topic - may I send you a PM with a few questions?

Take a look here (http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/)

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
That's the link Todd sent me...but thank you regardless.

MTechnik
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Take a look here (http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/)

Larry needs to make a big Flash map, with stars or dots for all of the locations with training. And he needs pull-down menus on the side you can pick a class type.

It would be SO much easier finding an instructor giving a class in your area. Especially since an instructor in Pittsburgh can give classes from Indiana to Connecticut any given weekend.

It would be much much much easier finding a VSM that is giving a Level 1 Pistol class in your region.

I kinda sent him an email to that effect, but I presume his inbox is floooded with fan mail.

Anyhow, rant over.

orionz06
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Larry needs to make a big Flash map, with stars or dots for all of the locations with training. And he needs pull-down menus on the side you can pick a class type.

It would be SO much easier finding an instructor giving a class in your area. Especially since an instructor in Pittsburgh can give classes from Indiana to Connecticut any given weekend.

It would be much much much easier finding a VSM that is giving a Level 1 Pistol class in your region.

I kinda sent him an email to that effect, but I presume his inbox is floooded with fan mail.

Anyhow, rant over.

I think there are too many different stipulations between the instructors. There are two rather close to you.

LittleLebowski
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Here is how to get a class near you.

1. Find a range, square away availability and price, rules, etc.

2. Get bunch of like minded students together who are willing to make time out of
their schedules for a serious class. The going rate is around $200 per day for
quality instruction. Note that I said "around."

3. Now contact an instructor in your area or one willing to travel. If you have a
class and range, they will come. They will come.

http://www.bigleaguewiffleball.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/field-of-dreams.jpg

dookie1481
03-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Here is how to get a class near you.

1. Find a range, square away availability and price, rules, etc.

2. Get bunch of like minded students together who are willing to make time out of
their schedules for a serious class. The going rate is around $200 per day for
quality instruction. Note that I said "around."

3. Now contact an instructor in your area or one willing to travel. If you have a
class and range, they will come. They will come.

http://www.bigleaguewiffleball.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/field-of-dreams.jpg

I can't believe how hard it is to get people together for a class. I posted a thread in the NV forum on ARFCOM asking who would be interested in a pistol class. I got like 20 people wanting to take a Magpul carbine class (of whom very few actually might have to use a carbine at work), and only about 5-7 wanting to take a pistol class.

Pennzoil
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM

I only have one class under my belt and it was a VSM basic class so far from the knowledge of others here. I just wanted to share my learnings from a noob if it might help encourage someone to take the plunge earlier then later. I felt the same way that I wasn't ready for a major class (AFHF) and wanted a good basic class before making the leap. The basic pistol VSM class in AZ was exactly what I needed to get used to the format, find our what I need to work on and build confidence in my ability.

Before the class I had been working on drills with buddies and shot a ton of ammo to get a marginal improvement while waiting for the right class to come to my area. Working on what ChrisL VSM instructor told me I need to work on I'm shocked with the change in my performance tracking (http://pistol-training.com/archives/3439) numbers before/after class across all my drills it's a large consistent percentage drop against what I had done practicing for months on my own. Geuss I shouldn't of been shocked as I had read Learning Curve (http://pistol-training.com/archives/4411). Hopefully I don't come across like a random doofus. Taking this into account if I had taken the course earlier I could of saved at least a couple grand or two in practice ammo, time, gas and parts.

I'm glad I was picky in which class I took first but if I had it to do over again I would of saved money taking time off work, flying to a good instructor instead of waiting for one to come close to me so I could learn what I was doing wrong and how to fix it through regular practice. Judging by your location probably not an option for mnealTX. Already scheduled more classes for this year and one is the same VSM basic pistol class again taking along a shooting buddy who is interested after seeing my improvements in the drills. Another shooting buddy is on the fence and I may just pay his way if the class still has room. As a shooter I'm nowhere near where I want to be but also nowhere near where I started.

mnealtx
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I appreciate the inputs, guys....I'll start a thread in the training subforum.

I apologize for pulling the thread off-topic.

Jay Cunningham
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM

Over the course of my career, I have been lucky enough to train with some of the best instructors in the world … and also lucky enough to train with some of the worst. I consider my time spent with the worst just as valuable because it’s given me the opportunity to make note of some of the things that I try NEVER to do when I teach a class. Many instructors who know what they’re talking about will quickly tell you that shooting and teaching are two very different things and having been on the range with many gifted shooters who simply can’t teach, I’m a believer.
The list is certainly not all-inclusive and hopefully it will foster some discussion on other things we can all avoid while teaching.
In no particular order, my top ten;

#1. Unprepared

There is perhaps nothing more disheartening than spending money on, traveling to, and spending time in a class that the instructor couldn’t care less about. I’ve seen it all: no lesson plans, no targets, no staples, you name it. Quite often instructors on an unfamiliar range seemed surprised that they didn’t have the target system they need or the barricades the want. Checking the facility beforehand is something any good instructor should do, if for no other reason than to make sure it’s safe. A little preparation to make sure you have what you need to teach the class goes a long way towards making your students comfortable in your ability to transfer information.

#2. Late

We expect students to be on time and there are very few adequate excuses for an instructor being late. For me, being late doesn’t mean the instructor arrived by the time the class was supposed to begin, it means the instructor arrived early enough to make sure his class can begin at the scheduled time. If that means I get there an hour early or the night before, so be it. My student paid for an 8 hour class and should get one. Not an hour of range setup and 7 hours of class.

#3. Long Breaks

Students don’t need 30 minutes every hour to load magazines and take on water. My take on instructors who continually take long breaks is that they simply don’t have enough material (see #1). Unfortunately it’s easy to let “top off your mags and get a drink” become 45 minutes of swapping lies. The instructor needs to take control and get the students on the line. That’s what they came for.

#4. No Breaks

While most instructors who commit this one (I have been guilty in the past) are doing so out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s still a problem. Attention spans on humans are short and people need to drink! Students quickly lose interst if they feel like they are being beaten on the range. I make a point of telling my students I can be guilty of this and asking them to remind me if I forget. When they do, I break the class and apologize.

#6. Not Knowing Your Audience or Being Unable to Adjust Your Style

This one kind of goes along with #1 but is a bit different. First, it’s important to know whom you’re teaching. A friend of mine attended a class filled with some pretty skilled gun guys a few years back. A guest instructor spent more time on the safety portion of his class than I spend with recruits! We dry fired more than we live fired and were probably half way thru the class before he “allowed” us to put some real ammo in the guns. This despite the fact that their were several IDPA Master Class shooters in the class as well as some industry instructors … not cool.
It’s also important to recognize that you are going to get classes that are a mixed bag as far as skill levels go and you need to be able to adjust. I hate being in a class and seeing that someone is being left behind because the instructor can only teach at one level.

#7. Sloppy

#8. Complainers

All ranges aren’t perfect, all classes aren’t perfect, all weather isn’t perfect … suck it up and make it work. Our goal is to make the students focus on the training, not on what equipment is missing, the cold/heat, the hard concrete, etc. Put a smile on your face and run your class.

#9. This Is “The” Way

Teaching people how to fight with a gun involves options and if you only have one, you haven’t studied your craft much. There are multiple ways to use a flashlight, use cover, shoot and move, etc. Teach your students options and work through them so they can decide what works for them.

#10. No Demos

I can shoot pretty well, certainly not to the level of some people reading this article but well enough to get along. I DO however demo the drills I teach in a class. Demonstrations perform a multitude of functions. They show the student what can be achieved because the instructor just did it. It gives them confidence in the instructor, the student needs to know that you know what you’re doing. I recently took a very good class from a well prepared instructor, good material, great lesson plan. Throughout the class he never took his gun out of the holster … I wasn’t impressed.

I have a few more, but they’re small, so I’ll leave it at ten. My intention was to generate some discussion, so feel free to add your own.

I wanted to necrobump this post because I think it's that good - I try to heed all the advice here every time I teach.

ToddG
07-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Rich is one of the best firearms instructors I've ever dealt with. He has a blog at http://siginst.wordpress.com/ that outlines what courses he has coming up through SIG Academy. Most of what he teaches is armorer stuff but if you get a chance to attend one of his shooting classes, it is guaranteed time & money very well spent.