PDA

View Full Version : RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

RJ
08-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Looking for some clarification and suggestions on Production-legal USPSA weighted basepads for my Glock 19.

I’m a little confused about what weights are legal. And, because of my hand size (M) and circumstances (lefty, stubby fingers with a weak mag release) I find it hard to get my OEM mags to drop. I have a Glock extended mag release, but although helpful, it’s not perfect.

So I’m pondering adding weighted basepads.

Is there a go-to brand or type that is suggested? I’d prefer them in brighter colors to find them in the dirt. Easy on/off would be a plus. I shoot P so I don’t need any additional capacity.

I’m ready to buy enough for a set but I don’t want to blow $100 on a set if I make the wrong decision.

Thanks for any info.

YVK
08-11-2018, 08:37 PM
There is no legal weight for basepads in Production. There is a maximal legal weight for a gun with an empty mag in. Those weights are listed in the Production rule book. I use Shockbottle ones for my Glocks, seem adequate and I presume they make the weight.

HopetonBrown
08-12-2018, 04:25 AM
When you press your mag release, make sure the mag well is vertical and not horizontal. It will drop free just fine

RJ
08-12-2018, 06:37 AM
There is no legal weight for basepads in Production. There is a maximal legal weight for a gun with an empty mag in. Those weights are listed in the Production rule book. I use Shockbottle ones for my Glocks, seem adequate and I presume they make the weight.

Thanks.

It is a bit confusing.

D-18 has this rule on max weight over empty:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/25298da9b3207baf2a861acdf2a4a545.png

When I go to the pistol list, I get this for my gun:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/ec8637d3440720199677d92f16d85627.png

So am I good for 28 oz. overall?

Then I see this which would suggest there’s no restrictions as long as it fits in the box:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/8fcc0022d90486f4c5b5d48b645d937c.png

I suppose another option is to use Glock 17 magazines. I’m not sure anyone does that.

I will also make sure my mags are clean and look at the magwell to see if there is anything in terms of a burr or dirt hanging them up, I typically don’t (or haven’t) worried too much about my mags during a match. They plop onto the ground, which at my range is a mix of wet/damp dirt, sand and gravel.

I’m also working at my grip strength (e.g. Farmers Carry) at the gym to build my hand strength to hit the release.

Thanks for the input.

GJM
08-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Yes, when I was shooting a 19 in CO, I used 17 magazines.

olstyn
08-12-2018, 07:05 AM
So am I good for 28 oz. overall?

Correct. That's a recent change; the allowance used to be 2 ounces, but the bumped it up to 4 with the most recent change to the rule book.

RJ
08-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Correct. That's a recent change; the allowance used to be 2 ounces, but the bumped it up to 4 with the most recent change to the rule book.

Thanks, it’s not extremely clear, hence the question.

But yeah 4 oz seems pretty generous. I’ll clean up my USPSA mags and do some more Dry Practice today.

olstyn
08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Thanks, it’s not extremely clear, hence the question.

But yeah 4 oz seems pretty generous. I’ll clean up my USPSA mags and do some more Dry Practice today.

As someone who once narrowly avoided getting bumped to open because of an incorrectly listed weight in the Production gun list, I think this is a very good change. (The Walther P99c is listed as 20 ounces on the Prod gun list, but if you check Walther's website, it's actually 21.5, which means that under the old rule, you only got a half ounce with that gun.)

RJ
08-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Any thoughts on these:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/glock-9-40-uspsa-production-basepad-by-henning/

?

taadski
08-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Henning makes great stuff. He’s a shooter first and totally “gets it”. That said, I don’t have personal experience with his basepads specifically.

Personally, I shoot production with stock unmodified magazines. My recommendation would be figuring out a solution to the mag release issue that doesn’t involve tinkering with the ammo feeding device.

GuanoLoco
08-12-2018, 12:43 PM
As someone who once narrowly avoided getting bumped to open because of an incorrectly listed weight in the Production gun list, I think this is a very good change. (The Walther P99c is listed as 20 ounces on the Prod gun list, but if you check Walther's website, it's actually 21.5, which means that under the old rule, you only got a half ounce with that gun.)

You are welcome.

I’d like to think that some of my well-times comments on this subject helped this change to take place. It always bugged me that manufacturers had to state a weight - but conformance to that weight over time is probably NEVER on the list of manufacturing requirements. This was a real problem for a few.

Not everyone was happy though - there are some who would exploit this to artificially raise the weight of guns where the manufactured weight is just under the listerd weight.

olstyn
08-12-2018, 02:41 PM
You are welcome.

I’d like to think that some of my well-times comments on this subject helped this change to take place. It always bugged me that manufacturers had to state a weight - but conformance to that weight over time is probably NEVER on the list of manufacturing requirements. This was a real problem for a few.

Not everyone was happy though - there are some who would exploit this to artificially raise the weight of guns where the manufactured weight is just under the listerd weight.

I don't compete with that gun anymore, so it's no longer a problem for me (in fact, my current gun's weight on the Production list is wrong in the other direction), but if you had a hand in making that change happen, then thank you. I'm sure all those who benefit from it appreciate having a little more breathing room. After that close shave with getting bumped to open, I contacted both USPSA *and* Walther regarding the error, but neither of them did anything about it. :p

On some level, even if your Glock/M&P/Walther/whatever plastic-framed pistol is a few ounces over, it's still never going to be as heavy as the Shadow 2 you're shooting against. I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that the division would be fairest with a max weight limit rather than an allowance over stock. It'd sure be easier to keep track of for the ROs on the chrono/measurements stage, too.

RJ
08-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

I cleaned up my pistol today. Nothing in the magwell, really. I wiped it it with some CRC in case.

Same with the mags. They were a bit grimy. I will look after them better.

Doing some ejections it dawned on me part of my issue might be the Grip angle. The Glock needs more heeling than my VP9. Anyway, I will have to remember to point it up a bit more.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/b0ad835f4ccda8dea5cfa8a42521b726.jpg

I also forgot that from basic physics, adding weight to the basepad will not make the mags fall any faster. Galileo and all that F=mA, Newton’s Second Law stuff. Ceteris Parabus of course.

So I’m just going to keep working on grip strength, point the gun so the magwell is vertical, and rock on with my plastic p-f Orange basepads. [emoji41]

Thanks again all.

olstyn
08-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I also forgot that from basic physics, adding weight to the basepad will not make the mags fall any faster. Galileo and all that F=mA, Newton’s Second Law stuff. Ceteris Parabus of course.

I've seen more people have to strip mags out of Glocks than any other type of gun. Until someone shows me evidence otherwise, my theory is that plastic magwell/plastic mag has more friction than plastic magwell/metal mag. There may be benefits to trying to slick them up, as long as the result is not them flying out of your hands.

Bucky
08-13-2018, 05:21 AM

True, but weight helps overcome friction.

Bucky
08-13-2018, 05:29 AM

This production weight thing is a mess, especially if you gun is manufactured by a company that doesn’t care much about USPSA. On the old web site, the 92 Vertec was listed at 29 ounces. However, Beretta’s web site lists it as 33.3.

http://www.beretta.com/en/92-vertec-inox/

When I pointed this out, they said I had to get Beretta to send them a letter verifying this information.

Funny thing is, I just looked at the new web site, and the 92 Vertec is no longer listed. Guess if I wanted to shoot a Vertec, I’d need to shoot a 98 Vertec. Ironically, it would not be the first time I’ve shot a 9x21 in competition.

olstyn
08-13-2018, 06:21 AM
This production weight thing is a mess, especially if you gun is manufactured by a company that doesn’t care much about USPSA. On the old web site, the 92 Vertec was listed at 29 ounces. However, Beretta’s web site lists it as 33.3.

So you were basically prohibited from running that gun at all at any match where it would get weighed, and still would be even under the new 4-ounce allowance. Yikes.

My scenario with the P99c was that at weigh in, the scale read 22.1, which of course would have put me 2.1 ounces over according to the Prod gun list, when it should really only have been 0.6 over. The RM was called, and she decided that since the tolerance of the scale being used was 0.1 ounce, it would actually have to be 22.2 to be over, plus shooting a subcompact in Production at a level 2 match meant that I was REALLY not getting an advantage from it. Based on those two factors, she left me in Production, but I was sure nervous about it until she delivered her ruling. That was something like 4 years ago now, but I doubt I'll ever forget the exact numbers involved. :)

GuanoLoco
08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
This ‘on the edge’ business is why I was in favor of increasing the weight allowance.

A max weight for Production would be simpler, butwould have the unintended consequence of people adding internal weights to their Glocks and whatnot.

I’m not keen on the Production Gun “List” but it is what it is and has its plusses and minuses. Changing this or setting a max gun weight would be a material change to Production with little benefit.

Bucky
08-13-2018, 07:59 AM
So you were basically prohibited from running that gun at all at any match where it would get weighed, and still would be even under the new 4-ounce allowance. Yikes.

Yep, and at the time it was only 2 ounces, so had to go a different route. Now I have a Shadow 2, and I know that it will be kept up to date and accurate, because let's face it, that gun is specifically built for IPSC / USPSA Production Division.

Bucky
08-13-2018, 08:07 AM
A max weight for Production would be simpler, but would have the unintended consequence of people adding internal weights to their Glocks and whatnot.

At this point, why not let them add weight? It's OK to shoot a 45 ounce gun if the manufacturer designed it that way. I'm not sure the intention of this division any more. Originally, it was guns with some kind of double action trigger mechanism, and even the most competitive guns came in under the $1K mark. I remember when the Springfield XD was disallowed, since it's a single action only trigger mechanism.

That being said, the Shadow 2 is sure a hoot to shoot. After many struggles going against the grain, seems easier to just go with the flow.

GuanoLoco
08-13-2018, 10:09 PM
At this point, why not let them add weight? It's OK to shoot a 45 ounce gun if the manufacturer designed it that way. I'm not sure the intention of this division any more. Originally, it was guns with some kind of double action trigger mechanism, and even the most competitive guns came in under the $1K mark. I remember when the Springfield XD was disallowed, since it's a single action only trigger mechanism.

That being said, the Shadow 2 is sure a hoot to shoot. After many struggles going against the grain, seems easier to just go with the flow.

Intention? Seriously, I’m not sure anyone cares anymore. The division has an identity, it works, and it is popular.

The trick at this point is not o screw it up.

Bucky
08-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Intention? Seriously, I’m not sure anyone cares anymore. The division has an identity, it works, and it is popular.

The trick at this point is not o screw it up.

That identity has changed over time, which means it could change again. Hence concerns regarding your last comment.

RJ
08-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Any thoughts on these:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/glock-9-40-uspsa-production-basepad-by-henning/

?

Back to this subject with a question.

Does anyone know if these are ‘quick release’ basepads?

Or failing that, any other maker options out there that would be available with a quick release? Ideally in a bright color e.g. Silver.

TIA.

RJ
09-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Back to this subject with a question.

Does anyone know if these are ‘quick release’ basepads?

Or failing that, any other maker options out there that would be available with a quick release? Ideally in a bright color e.g. Silver.

TIA.

I ended up buying a set of Dawson EZ off pads:

https://dawsonprecision.com/extended-baseplates-for-glock-by-dawson-precision/

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180903/118de51333baa2901267fe56c191b2de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk