PDA

View Full Version : DotW 21: Press Six

joshs
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Please read the rules (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1837-Drill-of-the-Week) before participating in this thread.

Week 21: Press Six
results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 27-February-2012.

Range: 3yd – 7yd
Target: six two inch circles (http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/6x2in-circles.pdf)
Start position: holstered*
Rounds fired: 62

Press Six is a multi-string drill that will help you improve both your press-out skills and your ability to hit low probability targets at speed.

Range can be anywhere from three to seven yards depending on shooter skill level.

The six strings of fire are:

Top left dot. Draw and fire one shot, focusing on a proper press-out.
No time limit.
Repeat ten times.

Top center dot. Draw and fire one shot, focusing on a proper press-out.
3 second PAR time.
Repeat ten times.

Top right dot. Draw and fire one shot, focusing on a proper press-out.
2 second PAR time.
Repeat ten times.

Lower left dot. Draw and fire two shots, focusing on a proper press-out and good sight tracking.
No time limit.
Repeat five times.

Lower center dot. Draw and fire two shots, focusing on a proper press-out and good sight tracking.
3 second PAR time.
Repeat five times.

Lower right dot. Draw and fire three shots, focusing on a proper press-out and good sight tracking.
3 second PAR time.
Repeat four times.

Start at a distance where you can reliably get all of your hits on the slow strings (1 and 4), then push yourself to develop the speed necessary to make the PAR times.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

starting position
range
hits on dot one
hits on dot two under par
hits on dot three under par
hits on dot four
hits on dot five under par
hits on dot six under par

*If you cannot draw from a holster, you may complete the drill from the ready position by subtracting .5 seconds from each par time.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

CCT125US
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
HK P30 V3 Heinie Straight Eights Qwik

Found out what not shooting for two weeks and thinking "Oh, I've got this" does for me. The rundown..... S1 GTG, S2 and S3 all shots under par no excuse for me to miss, S4 no time limit with 3 misses... certainly did not see what I needed to see, S5 again time remaining with 4 misses equals I needed to slow down, S6 down 7... I had the trigger speed but lacked a good initial grip and as a result was not getting enough control in my WH to bring the gun back on target consistently.

* starting position: AIWB / reload from IWB pouch
* range: 7yds
* hits on dot one: 10
* hits on dot two under par: 7
* hits on dot three under par: 5
* hits on dot four: 7
* hits on dot five under par: 6
* hits on dot six under par:5
* 40/62=65% from holster at 7yds.

All hits were under par with time remaining on all strings. However S6 was danger close.

Cold F.A.S.T. was 5.32(C) 1.81 / .58 / 2.01 / .31 / .31 / .30

Dr. No
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I figured I'd split the difference and start at 5 yards. After f'ing it up so bad I decided to just start over at 4. Much better.

Hands relaxed at sides. HK USP 40 fullsize in a DOH USPSA Limited rig.

5 yards
hits on dot one - 6
hits on dot two under par - 6
hits on dot three under par - 0/2 - decided this run was a no go and moved target back to 4

4yards
hits on dot one - 8 (2.06max / 1.76min / 1.92 av)
hits on dot two under par - 8 (1.92 / 1.69 / 1.8)
hits on dot three under par - 5 (1.78 / 1.59 / 1.66)
hits on dot four - 8 (2.64 / 2.25 / 2.39)
hits on dot five under par - 7 (2.6 / 2.12 / 2.30)
hits on dot six under par - 9 (2.76 / 2.58 / 2.67)

EVERY one of those misses I called as a bad shot. Most of the time I sat there and thought to myself - why in the world did I pull the trigger when I knew the sight picture was that bad??? Most were low on the press out. I think I could try this again at 5 or 6 and the times would be a tough push to make at all.

BN
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
•starting position: Open Carry 3 O'Clock Gen 4 G-17 Fed AE 147 FMJ
•range: 4 yards
•hits on dot one: 8
•hits on dot two under par: 10
•hits on dot three under par: 9
•hits on dot four: 6
•hits on dot five under par: 7
•hits on dot six under par: 11

All my misses were trigger snatches on the first shot.

All shots were fired under par.

These drills are going to teach me trigger control if I want to do well. :)

SamuelBLong
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
My first DOTW entry ever.

Gun: H&K P30L V4 LEM W/ Heinie Sights
Starting Position: Concealed AIWB, Pullover Fleece
Range: 5 yds

Dot 1: 10 / 10
Dot 2 under par: 9 / 10
Dot 3 under par: 7 / 10
Dot 4: 10 / 10
Dot 5 under par: 9 / 10
Dot 6 under par: 7 / 12

All shots were fired under par with time to spare.

Avg draw to first shot - 1.68
Avg split - .35

jthhapkido
02-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Starting Position: Gen4 G17 from Archangel AIWB, fleece jacket covering, 15-25 mph freakin' wind in 35 degree weather.
Range: 5 yards
1: 10/10
2: 7/10 flat out yanked the trigger before the sights were in alignment, even moving slowly. (Ave time: 1.9 s)
3: 4/10! ridiculously bad trigger yanking---ave time was 1.4s consistently, whether the sights were in alignment yet or not. Wasn't waiting until the sight picture was good enough to make the shot.
4: 8/10 (pulled the first shot of the first two runs)
5: 8/10 (pulled the first shot of the first two runs)
6: 6/12 (amused that I did better on this than the "one shot in 2 seconds" set from dot 3)
Total: 43/62 69%

...poor trigger discipline---didn't wait until the sights were in alignment properly. Yanked several in addition.

Given all the time in the world, I shoot okay. Given a par time, I tend to shoot significantly under that time, even if 1) I don't need to, and 2) it makes me miss. Example: Dot 2 was easily under 2 seconds each time. However, when dot 3 had a par time of 2 seconds, I pushed the speed and yanked the trigger to be faster, even though it wasn't necessary.

Good drill, though I sucked at it.

JFK
02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Gun: H&K P30 LEM
Starting Position: Concealed AIWB, T-Shirt
Range: 5 yds

Dot 1: 8 / 10
Dot 2 under par: 8 / 10
Dot 3 under par: 7 / 10
Dot 4: 8 / 10
Dot 5 under par: 7 / 10
Dot 6 under par: 5 / 12

This was a good one. I will try this one again. I feel like I was rising as when I was under time I could have taken a bit extra to make sure I got the hit.

raks
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Hands at sides, no concealment. I used a timer to start each draw, but only watched times when Pars were in play.
5yd

I realized that my attention is wandering on the no par shots. I need more dry fire... Will definitely try this one again and I think I will start a training journal tonight.

C45P312
02-26-2012, 11:28 PM
•starting position: G17 in 6004
•range: 5 yards
•dot one: 9
•dot two under par: 9
•dot three under par: 10
•dot four: 5
•dot five under par: 8
•dot six under par: 10

misses were usually first shot, trying to shoot too fast.

CraigBos
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
This was a very eye opening drill (so to speak). With the short range (3 yd.), and the dots so close together, I really had trouble getting a good sight picture. This will be something I'll practice with the .22. Extensively.

Here are my results:

starting position: High compressed ready (more or less)
range: 3 yd.
hits on dot one: 5
hits on dot two under par: 6
hits on dot three under par: 5
hits on dot four: 6
hits on dot five under par: 5
hits on dot six under par: 6

Thanks!

ETA: I elected not to increase the par times, even though I wasn't drawing.

Mr_White
02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Start position: concealed AIWB
Range: 7 yards
Hits on dot one: 9
Hits on dot two under par: 7
Hits on dot three under par: 6
Hits on dot four: 7
Hits on dot five under par: 5
Hits on dot six under par: 7
41/62 hits = 66%

I became starkly aware of two flinching behaviors when I shot this drill. I caught myself both jerking the trigger and pushing the gun high and right with my support hand at different times. The vast majority of my misses came from those two flinches. I think this is a fundamental, pervasive problem that throws an intermittent monkey wrench into any shooting I do. Sometimes it's worse when I am specifically trying to take my time or take extra time in an effort to ensure accuracy, and less bad when I simply fire when I and the gun are ready and to the point of breaking the shot. It was so annoying and frustrating that after I got done with the DotW, I shot ball and dummy for a while, which felt like it improved things a little, but I think I need to do it more.

Seven yards might have been a little ambitious too – I have to fire a very good shot to hit that 2 inch circle at seven; anything less than that just doesn’t cut it on such small a target.

98z28
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Started out at five yards. Cleaned the first string, but couldn't get a single hit under par on the second string. I was rushing the press-out and jerking the trigger. I should have stopped right there and done some ball and dummy drills to get my trigger finger back under control. Instead, I moved in to three yards and started over. Bad choice.

-starting position: P239 in Blackhawk! CQC leather IWB at 1:00, concealed under a short-sleeved shirt, hands relaxed at sides
-range: three yards
-hits on dot one: 10
-hits on dot two under par: 6 (2 misses, 2 over par)
-hits on dot three under par: 4 (3 misses, 3 over par)
-hits on dot four: 10
-hits on dot five under par: 3 (2 misses, 5 over par)
-hits on dot six under par: 6 (2 misses, 2 over par)

I couldn't stop jerking the trigger. I was watching the sights dip with nearly every shot and was getting REALLY frustrated. When am I going to learn to stop with whatever drill I am working on and work some ball and dummy when that happens???

I was very surprised at the last string. I figured I wouldn't have a single hit. Tracking the sights on the little 239 turned out to be easier than I anticipated. It runs like a much larger gun than it is. It also helped that I "gave up" and relaxed on that string.

That was a seriously frustrating drill. I'll be using it a lot in the next few weeks. :cool:

ToddG
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
starting position: concealed (Keepers Custom aiwb)
range: 7yd
hits on dot one: 10 / 10
hits on dot two under par: 8 / 10
hits on dot three under par: 7 / 10
hits on dot four: 9 / 10
hits on dot five under par: 7 / 10
hits on dot six under par: 9 / 12
total score: 50 / 62

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dotw21.jpg

Then I slammed my hand in the car door twelve times, once for every @#$! shot I missed.

Mr_White
02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Then I slammed my hand in the car door twelve times, once for every @#$! shot I missed.

That's hardcore. All I did was silently hate myself the rest of the day over my misses. I kind of wanted to punch myself in the face, but I didn't want to look weird in class, so instead I imitated a curb stomping to illustrate a point. It was cathartic.

In all seriousness, do you have a sense of what went wrong when you missed?

DocGKR
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Start position: G19 w/RMR07 in an AIWB Fricke Seraphim concealed under a long sweat shirt and soft shell TNF vest.
Range: 7 yards
Hits on dot one: 10/10
Hits on dot two under par: 7/10
Hits on dot three under par: 4/10 (I stunk on this one)
Hits on dot four: 10/10
Hits on dot five under par: 9/10
Hits on dot six under par: 11/12
Total hits: 51/62 = 82%

fuse
02-27-2012, 10:50 PM
• starting position - AIWB, G17, shaggy, hoodie
• range - 3 yards
• hits on dot one - 10/10
• hits on dot two under par - 9/10
• hits on dot three under par - 6/10
• hits on dot four - 10/10
• hits on dot five under par 6/10
• hits on dot six under par 6/12

just when I think I have you, press-out, I speed things up a tad and throw shots out horribly.

currently do things better as a whole with a punch out.

the press out, when it works, shows so much potential though.