PDA

View Full Version : First AR - LaRue?

JeffJ
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
In an odd conversation with by boss today, he mentioned buying me some sort of really cool antique gun as a thank you for some extra work I've been doing. Thing is, that I'm not into really cool antique guns so I gently mentioned that while that would be really awesome that something like a LaRue OBR is more my style.

After telling him that, I think he might actually buy me one. This would be my first AR, and really I just sort of threw that out there because I think LaRue is pretty cool, but I don't know jack about ARs and carbines.

So - guys that have a clue about ARs and carbines and stuff - would I be making a mistake to go with a 16" OBR as a first/only AR? - my plan would be to eventually make it to a class, shoot it at the range - maybe get into 3 gun and have it ready to go for HD - in general, I would probably transition to this as my "1 rifle" although my .270 might be with me in the deer stand, I don't know.

If the LaRue OBR 16" 5.56 isn't a good choice, what do you like and why? I am not interested in building a rifle right now.

JHC
02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
would I be making a mistake to go with a 16" OBR as a first/only AR? - .

Hell no you wouldn't!!!

Kyle Reese
02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Go for it. You can certainly do alot worse on an AR than a LaRue.

JDM
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
If there is something bad about a free OBR, I certainly can't think of it!

JHC
02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Go for it. You can certainly do alot worse on an AR than a LaRue.

LOL you could hardly do better! :cool:

Al T.
02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Top tier. Buddy of mine scrimped and saved for many months to get a AR at that level. As he said, if I'm only going to have one, might as well go first class.

And LaRue is local for you. :)

rob_s
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
If there's still room to gently steer the ship, the PredatAR or PredatOBR might make a better general purpose AR, but I wouldn't turn down a free OBR.

JeffJ
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Top tier. Buddy of mine scrimped and saved for many months to get a AR at that level. As he said, if I'm only going to have one, might as well go first class.

And LaRue is local for you. :)

I'd be lying if I said the logo wasn't a big draw to me:cool:

JeffJ
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
If there's still room to gently steer the ship, the PredatAR or PredatOBR might make a better general purpose AR, but I wouldn't turn down a free OBR.

Why? - that's a real question, what's the difference and what would make the PradatAR or PradatOBR better?

I'd put the odds of this happening at probably about 70/30 in my favor - in actuality if I was paid for the extra stuff I've been doing it would be worth more than the rifle but I don't see scenario where I would actually part with the cash for this.

Thanks for chiming in guys - I figured the LaRue was a good bet but I'd hate to get into something and then find out that I'd have been better off with something at the same or lower price.

Fly320s
02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with an OBR, I have one.

A few things to consider:

- The OBR is like a Corvette. It is a great performer, but not really for a beginner. The rifle isn't more powerful or more dangerous, like some people think Corvettes are, it is just a better-than-average example. Getting the most out of the rifle might take some time for the shooter.

- The OBR is a bit heavy for an AR. If you do intend to use it in classes or for personal defense, you may wish for a lighter rifle.

TAZ
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the OBR. Would love to get my hands on one, but it's not in the financial picture. No way in this Gods earth I can justify dropping $3k on a rifle.

JM Campbell
02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Is your boss hiring?

Pretty cool your boss appreciates your hard work and wants to reward you for it.

As for the Larue it's all ready been said....a lot of worse choices then a Larue.

I hope you get it and enjoy shooting it, oh yea don't forget to take the boss on a range day on your dime ;)

Savage Hands
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
If you don't want it, I call dibs!

Odin Bravo One
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM
I would submit for consideration that the OBR line was designed with the tactical designated marksman in mind, not as a general purpose rifle. It fills the first role very well, the second, not quite as well. The PredatAR was designed with the idea of taking close to the same accuracy as the OBR, and putting it into a lighter, more agile, and more utilitarian package than the OBR.

Pred accuracy is sub-MOA. OBR accuracy is 1/2 MOA. I can count on one hand the number of carbine shooters I have had in advanced courses that could wring out the kind of accuracy where that 1/2 minute mattered. That doesn't mean an accurate carbine is not desirable, but the Pred gives you among the top tier in accuracy in the AR platform, but with the balance, weight, and ergonomics of a GP rifle.

I wouldn't turn down an OBR, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Pred makes much more sense to me.

rob_s
02-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Why? - that's a real question, what's the difference and what would make the PradatAR or PradatOBR better?
I was starting to post a reply and then noticed the thread had gone to two pages. Sean hits exactly what I would have said below. I will add that I don't think a lot of people understand all of the features of the OBR, like the cant to the top rail, and equate "expensive" and "best for a particular application" with "good" and "best all-around".

Free is free though, and I obviously wouldn't turn down a free one, but if I was able to influence the decision at all I would want the PredatAR as a first/only AR if Larue were my only choice.

I would submit for consideration that the OBR line was designed with the tactical designated marksman in mind, not as a general purpose rifle. It fills the first role very well, the second, not quite as well. The PredatAR was designed with the idea of taking close to the same accuracy as the OBR, and putting it into a lighter, more agile, and more utilitarian package than the OBR.

Pred accuracy is sub-MOA. OBR accuracy is 1/2 MOA. I can count on one hand the number of carbine shooters I have had in advanced courses that could wring out the kind of accuracy where that 1/2 minute mattered. That doesn't mean an accurate carbine is not desirable, but the Pred gives you among the top tier in accuracy in the AR platform, but with the balance, weight, and ergonomics of a GP rifle.

I wouldn't turn down an OBR, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Pred makes much more sense to me.

JHC
02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Then again, one can always get a general purpose BCM, Colt or DD that is top notch and will do everything a general purpose carbine can do. But far less likely one will ever spring for the specialized 1/2 moa OBR.

JeffJ
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Sean, Rob
Thanks for the response. I'm admittadly way out of my lane here and the whole situation kind of took me by surprise. I've had an AR on my list of things to buy for a while but wasn't planning on allocating funds towards that for a while. I also wasn't planning on buying a LaRue when I did - I've just heard a lot about how they are pretty awesome so I just kind of threw it out there and then realized that I'd better check here and make sure I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on something that really isn't what I want.

It sounds like the PredatAR would be a better fit - I don't have any self-illusions about wringing sub MOA accuracy out of a rifle so it sounds like I wouldn't be taking advantage of what the OBR has to offer.

Hopefully this will come to fruitiion - I'll keep you posted.

rob_s
02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
You'll be fine either way I'm sure, but know that if you get the OBR you're probably going to want glass that costs 2x what the gun does for it! :eek:

Odin Bravo One
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
It sounds like the PredatAR would be a better fit - I don't have any self-illusions about wringing sub MOA accuracy out of a rifle so it sounds like I wouldn't be taking advantage of what the OBR has to offer.

Hopefully this will come to fruitiion - I'll keep you posted.

Perhaps a LaRue is not the right tool? As was mentioned, you can get a Colt or Daniel Defense for GP if having a sub-MOA capability is not a requirement for your applications. The OBR is half-MOA. The Pred will shoot sub-MOA all day with decent factory ammo. Most Colt's and DD's I have worked with over the years can hold their own at 1.5-2.5 MOA, but tack drivers they are not.

And don't let Rob scare you with his optics comment. I have yet to find $5,000 glass that was astronomically better than their $2,000 competitors.

rob_s
02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Well, I hadn't looked at the price of the OBR lately. So we'll say that you'll want to spend at least equal the cost of the gun, on glass. :p

JeffJ
02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
All right, so it looks like I'm getting a 16" PredatAR 5.56 as soon as we sit down and order the thing.

So, I'm guessing that he's just going to buy the rifle - if that's the case, then it will need sights. I think I want to put an RDS on there, maybe with magnification, but right now I'm not ready to throw down for an Aim Point which is what I understand is the way to go.

I'll probably just put irons on for now, I'll at least want BUIS no matter which way I go with optics. Are the troy industires fold-down BUIS the best way to go? Any other good options out there? Any pearls of wisdom as far as sights/scopes/optics that you guys can share?

Thanks to everybody that replied, I think the PredatAR is going to be a much better fit than the OBR.

rob_s
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
IMO the Troy flip-up sights are the best option for those looking to buy once and transition from irons to eventual optics but aren't quite sure what optic they may wind up with. They lock in the "up" position so they'll work fine as a standalone set of sights but they have the option to fold them down if you decide later that they are in the way of your view through whatever optic you wind up going with.

Odin Bravo One
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
IMO the Troy flip-up sights are the best option for those looking to buy once and transition from irons to eventual optics but aren't quite sure what optic they may wind up with. They lock in the "up" position so they'll work fine as a standalone set of sights but they have the option to fold them down if you decide later that they are in the way of your view through whatever optic you wind up going with.

Yeah, what he said.

As for optics, you would be well served with just about anything by AimPoint. I have also become a big fan of the 3x ACOG's for a mid-range carbine.

Failure2Stop
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
6920+Aimpoint > PredatAR+Irons

Just sayin'

A good optic really is worth the $$.
You won't see the benefit of the LaRue over any other quality AR if you don't match the glass to the application/potential of the tool.

rob_s
02-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Just sayin'

You won't see the benefit of the LaRue over any other quality AR if you don't match the glass to the application/potential of the tool.

This is true, but I didn't want to beat him up any more on the Larue thing!

I think that since his boss wants to buy him something "nice" the PredatAR is a good compromise. Hey, it's better than an antique!

JeffJ
02-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Just sayin'

Unexpected gift is kinda driving the train here .

I wasn't really planning on getting into the AR game at this point but I'm really excited about it.

My thought process was to slap some irons on it, get some training and shoot it - then figure out what I want to do optics wise -- kinda torn over 1x RDS or something magnified. I've been thinking I'll probably end up with both eventually so I should probably just pick up an Aimpoint ASARP (r=resonable)

My biggest issue is figuring out how best to apply limited resources. If somebody dropped a PredatAR on your lap and said here's $1000 - what's the best way to spend that $1000? I don't know if $1000 is really my money limit right now but realistically thats probably all I can spend on that platform for at least 6 months.

Fly320s
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Check out the Sample List from SWFA (RifleScopes.com). They sell demo and used optics at good prices. And if you have an optic you want to sell, they will buy it.

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Aimpoint

You might find that an older Aimpoint M4 is a reasonable price.

Failure2Stop
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
My biggest issue is figuring out how best to apply limited resources. If somebody dropped a PredatAR on your lap and said here's $1000 - what's the best way to spend that $1000? I don't know if $1000 is really my money limit right now but realistically thats probably all I can spend on that platform for at least 6 months.

Damn, missed this, sorry:

H1 w/ Larue Mount: $600
VCAS: $50
Magazines: $60 (Black non-windowed Pmag or US GI OKay w/ magpul followers)
SF G2 w/ mount: $70
Remaining $$ into ammo

ETA: does the Pred come with sights? Can't remember. If not, get those too.
I prefer a fixed front sight, one of the Troy models will work great.
Rear depends on application.
If you think you might want a magnifier or a traditional scope at some point, grab a folder.
Matech, KAC, and Troy all make decent rear folders.
If using a dot optic, I prefer a fixed rear for most applications that the optic fits.
I like the units from Daniel Defense, LaRue, LMT, and a simple chopped down carry-handle.

JeffJ
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Just to update this - everything got put on hold for a while and then today I went and picked up a 6920 with the magpul furniture and an aimpoint PRO - after reading multiple threads on here that kept saying 6920 I decided to listen - I'll get it to the range tommorrow and see how it goes.

BTW - where are people mounting slings on the magpul moe - can't seem to find the sweet spot (using a 2 point VTACS)

rob_s
05-10-2012, 04:10 AM
You have a few options.

One, that I have used in the past, is the UWL from Blue Force Gear. There are a lot of ways you can play with this thing and try different mounting locations. They make a short and a long, and I've played with both and personally found the short to be easier to deal with.
http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Blue-Force-Gear%C2%AE-Universal-Wire-Loop%E2%84%A2.html

You could also use something like this, which is nice because it gets the mount up and away from your hands. On the carbine handguards there isn't a lot of space so I'm an advocate of mounts that don't interfere with my hand position. You'll need an HK snap hook at one end with this.
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tm-snap-hook-sling-mount/

There are several options for attaching QD cups

One is this part, which is surface mounted to the MOE slot
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/rotation-limited-quick-detach-sling/

Another, that I use, is this part which requires you to drill a single hole in the handguard
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/

I used option two on these two uppers so that I can swap them back and forth on this lower.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BCM/photo-23.jpg

LittleLebowski
05-10-2012, 06:37 AM
I am really digging those long MOE handguards....

rob_s
05-10-2012, 06:43 AM
That's a BCM Dissipator. Unfortunately they aren't selling them (yet). For someone that wants a fixed FSB and a non-free-float handguard I think they are a nice option. Especially for irons-only. I used this one in a Randy Cain carbine course where I wanted to shoot irons. Hence, also, the fixed rear sight.

I do wish they'd make it with the lightweight barrel, however, since they tend to be front heavy. This one is an A2 profile, mid-length gas, hammer forged barrel. If I was going to change something right now it would be to move the front sling swivel further forward. I'm going away from the barrel-nut mounting location on most guns.

Andy T
05-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm going away from the barrel-nut mounting location on most guns.
Rob,
What prompted your move towards a sling mount further forward? Are you still keeping the rear mount around the end plate area?

rob_s
05-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Rob,
What prompted your move towards a sling mount further forward? Are you still keeping the rear mount around the end plate area?

I've moved most of my front points further forward and rear points further rear. I seem to find the sling getting in the way less that way. But that may turn out to be a case of "different" rather than "better". Time will tell.

I do like the front point further forward as another index point when in unconventional positions but I need to play with it more to see if that bears out inthe long term and to see if there are any downsides I haven't figured out yet and can't live with. I also am also liking the way the gun hangs with the sling on the stock.

Odin Bravo One
05-19-2012, 05:32 AM
From a shooting stand point, I tend to like the sling further forward as well.

Unfortunately, rarely does the situation allow me to use that front mounted position as I need the rifle to do other things besides shoot.