PDA

View Full Version : Cali. How do you microstamp shell casings?

SafetyFirst
08-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Just read this article from US news.
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2018-08-03/us-appeals-court-rejects-challenges-to-california-gun-laws

Here is the second paragraph.

//
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected challenges to Unsafe Handgun Act requirements that new semiautomatic pistols have chamber load indicators and magazine detachment mechanisms, both meant to limit accidental discharges, and microstamp their makes, models and serial numbers onto fired shell casings.
//

So among other questions I have. How do you microstamp that info onto shell casings?
Seems like another hurdle for people who want to follow the law to jump through while criminals will just carry and commit crimes with what they already have.

GardoneVT
08-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Just read this article from US news.
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2018-08-03/us-appeals-court-rejects-challenges-to-california-gun-laws

Here is the second paragraph.

//
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected challenges to Unsafe Handgun Act requirements that new semiautomatic pistols have chamber load indicators and magazine detachment mechanisms, both meant to limit accidental discharges, and microstamp their makes, models and serial numbers onto fired shell casings.
//

So among other questions I have. How do you microstamp that info onto shell casings?
Seems like another hurdle for people who want to follow the law to jump through while criminals will just carry and commit crimes with what they already have.

It is not a hurdle. It is a local gun ban through attrition.

Tabasco
08-04-2018, 11:29 AM
You could only do it on the breech face or in the chamber. Both slides and barrels are easily replaceable. It's another law meant to punish gun owners, and create a defacto ban on new handguns in the state.

Malamute
08-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Something about this came up semi-recently here or calguns or somewhere shooting related. IIRC, the law mentioned firing pins leaving microstamp marks, but, the law didnt have any effect until the technology was functional and workable, so it basically was in idle mode until that point. I'll see if I can find that. If anyone has further details, Id like a refresher.

Gadfly
08-04-2018, 12:19 PM
If I am a crook, and I can take a file and file off the serial numbers on the frame, why can you not take the exact same file and remove the micro stamp from wherever? This whole concept is stupid

Criminals gonna Criminal.

Sero Sed Serio
08-04-2018, 01:57 PM
If I am a crook, and I can take a file and file off the serial numbers on the frame, why can you not take the exact same file and remove the micro stamp from wherever? This whole concept is stupid

Criminals gonna Criminal.

One of my co-workers had a case where a couple of girls got into a fight in a bar bathroom. This brought their boyfriends into the mix, and ended up with one of the boyfriends cranking off a few rounds at the other group as he was peeling out of the parking lot. The only thing hit was a non-participant's car, and the projectile was buried so deeply that it would have required extensive destruction to recover it, so no boolits for comparison. There were recovered shell cases, but about a week passed by before they tracked down the suspect and recovered a Springfield XD from his car. I know that XDs aren't the most well thought-of weapons around here, but even I was surprised at how rough the machining was on the firing pin--almost like like it was finished by hand with some rough sandpaper... The lab (in-house at a medium-to-large sized and pretty thorough and professional agency) wasn't able to make a ballistics match to the spent cases*.

If you can erase the tool marks from a firing pin, you can just easily erase a microstamp. While regular serial numbers can typically be recovered based on their size and the force of the stamping on the underlying metal, I seriously doubt you could do that with a microstamp. Microstamping is just like "smart guns": a hypothetical technology that sounds cool to the uninformed, won't really make a difference in the real world, and is really just another way to create gun control by proxy.

*For a happy end note, as our resident gun nut I helped out with the gun/ballistics angle. Through the ATF National Tracing Center (great group to work with) and some surprisingly cooperative pawn shops, I was able to track down the gun's former owners, who were also very cooperative and willing to testify that they had not sandpapered or filed the firing pin. After we got all that in, shooter ended up taking a plea.

GardoneVT
08-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Unless the objective is reducing legal commercial gun activity in California. In which case the law works quite intelligently. For frequent visitors, best to bring the revolver/1911 .

Kyle Reese
08-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Criminals gonna Criminal.It's not like California will prosecute them or incarcerate them, right?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

TQP
08-04-2018, 09:41 PM
It's not like California will prosecute them or incarcerate them, right?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Only if they use a non-compostable straw to do the work.

Drang
08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
How do you microstamp that info onto shell casings?

You don't. /thread.