PDA

View Full Version : Abysmal Customer Service

Groundhog34
08-02-2018, 07:30 PM
I have several FNs, 9,9c,40c my FNs9c's recoil spring came loose from the plunger. I called FN was told to send a picture which I did, I am trying to download here. Following is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting FN America. A request was submitted on your behalf to have Recoil Spring Guide Assembly sent to you under warranty. Unfortunately, the part is not covered under warranty. However, it is available at our parts distributor Midwest Gun Works. Attached is the part # and cost.

Would Glock, Sig S&W responded similarly. I doubt it. Sorry FN I am through with your firearms. The guns are quality the customer service without question the worse.

VT1032
08-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Their funeral... I'm sure they've got plenty of military contracts and don't need the civilian market, but Colt said the same thing right up until they lost their contract and then they were up shit creek. Perma-burning customers over a $10 part is beyond assinine.

I remember another thread on here where another person received some pretty abysmal service from them when his FNS went tits up, but I can't find it.

Shoresy
08-02-2018, 07:49 PM
I remember another thread on here where another person received some pretty abysmal service from them when his FNS went tits up, but I can't find it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24700-So-I-broke-my-FNS-9L

guymontag
08-02-2018, 08:40 PM
I’m shaking my head. I’m certainly glad they spent so much time, energy and money in operators and engineers to make the FN509! model that will likely disappear like a fart in the wind that they have to recoup the cost by not warrantying cheap parts. How many obsolete handgun models do they have now?

Meh the SCAR and military contracts will keep them going until they don’t.

Duke
08-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Not trying to be rude at all....but if you love the gun, what it’s $24 (or there abouts) for a replacement?

Again not being rude - but why not keep spares so you aren’t at the mercy of a warranty?

We’re not taking the slide cracked in half....we’re talking a consumable, high wear part.

Should it be handled better, sure. But most adults are not good at their jobs - that means it’s mostly up to you to look out for you.

Maybe they’ll refund you the cost or maybe not. Either way...imo....it’s not worth the stress to wait around on what they’ll cover.

Willard
08-02-2018, 10:18 PM
With this being the age of the internet, where consumers are no longer reliant on gun rags for info, it doesn't make sense (IMHO) to give people a reason to post threads like this.

Three relevant rules I always keep in mind are 1) It costs several times as much to gain a new consumer than to retain an existing one. 2) Dissatisfied customers are several times more likely to express their dissatisfaction with others than satisfied customers are to express their satisfaction. 3) People are far more likely to trust information from sources such as this (presumably non-compensated) than they are advertising (although businesses sometimes seem willing to spend a lot on advertising and then alienate existing customers).

Although not always positive, my personal experience with handgun problems resulted in things like:

- Ruger replaced a six series revolver they no longer carried parts for / could not repair with a new Match Champion at no charge (I thought this was amazing)

- Glock replaced a cracked polymer frame at no charge.

- S&W has sent me parts that broke on an early M&P 9 gratis on more than one occasion.

- SIG paid shipping both ways on a firearm that went in for repairs.

Based on my experience in these instances, and what I've seen posted here with FN, I'll avoid any potential drama and look elsewhere. Might be a great company with great products, but why should I risk it when I don't have experience of my own with their company and am more inclined to trust the folks here than FN's advertising. Multiply this over a lot of viewers, and it might be smarter to replace small parts without much fanfare.

guymontag
08-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Not trying to be rude at all....but if you love the gun, what it’s $24 (or there abouts) for a replacement?

Again not being rude - but why not keep spares so you aren’t at the mercy of a warranty?

I understand the sentiment, and coming from a competition background I understand the notion of spare parts and spare guns... but as I’ve gotten older I can say I appreciate customer service more and more. If OP wants to post his experience and vent a little I say more power to them. Swearing off the guns completely? Cool with me, America and we have options.

CZ and Walther have been great to work with, there are plenty of parts to buy either online or via the manufacturer - everything I’ve heard of FN has seriously steered me away from purchasing their products. I’ve heard great things from Glock and others.

I love having spare parts but I also love gun companies that have more consistently good service. YMMV.

hiro
08-03-2018, 12:24 AM
OP, how many rounds thru the gun please?

Paul D
08-03-2018, 12:51 AM
OP,

I think you are screwed. You have 3 FN guns which you admit are quality but can't rid of without taking a loss. I appreciate you sharing your experience so that it may help me make any decisions regarding FN products. However, if I were in your shoes, I would just buy the recoil spring assemblies for the those 3 pistols you have all at the same time and save on shipping in the future.

LockedBreech
08-03-2018, 02:20 AM
I’ve seen enough nightmare threads about FN customer service to scare me off buying one. I’d likely own a 509 as a fun lark otherwise.

I want S&W or Glock style customer service where they can’t wait to help me. Bad service? Sad for your company, there are a lot of choices these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT
08-03-2018, 04:26 AM
OP, how many rounds thru the gun please?

This bit is important

43Under
08-03-2018, 06:00 AM
This bit is important

^This!

This is a part that has to be replaced on all pistols. If you have 100 rounds through the gun, I'd expect a replacement. OTOH, if you have a few thousand through it......

LockedBreech
08-03-2018, 10:18 AM
^This!

This is a part that has to be replaced on all pistols. If you have 100 rounds through the gun, I'd expect a replacement. OTOH, if you have a few thousand through it......

The thing is, the best companies don't nitpick like this. I sent a casual letter to Glock asking how much it would be to get updated magazine internals for my Glock 43 magazines. They had me send them in and sent me back 2 brand new magazines, externals and internals. Free. Did I expect that? No. Nor do I expect the local hardware store to always have really good coffee for free. But they do. Good businesses go the extra mile. FN makes excellent long arms and heavy weapons, but their effort to break into the service pistol market has been consistently half-assed. Rotating new models in rapidly, an often absurd maintenance/repair policy. It's just not good enough. The part requested is very cheap for the company to make, and a prompt, cheerful replacement could earn a lifetime customer. Benchmade and Glock have earned heavy loyalty from me for their fast, enthusiastic desire to make me a happy customer. It's just good business.

Service handguns are a very, very competitive market segment. My Smiths have lifetime warranties. Glock will hop quick to take care of stuff. Beretta has improved markedly from even a few years ago. HK started responding a lot better to customer demand and kept quality standards high. There are too many choices out there for a company to hesitate on little piddly stuff like this. It's not theoretical dollars, either, FN's track record of backing their products in a lukewarm fashion cost them $500 that would have come out of my own wallet for the 509 if I had faith in them to stand by it.

hufnagel
08-03-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure if that SsevenN thread is giving me PTSD or not.

GardoneVT
08-03-2018, 10:39 AM
I have several FNs, 9,9c,40c my FNs9c's recoil spring came loose from the plunger. I called FN was told to send a picture which I did, I am trying to download here. Following is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting FN America. A request was submitted on your behalf to have Recoil Spring Guide Assembly sent to you under warranty. Unfortunately, the part is not covered under warranty. However, it is available at our parts distributor Midwest Gun Works. Attached is the part # and cost.

Would Glock, Sig S&W responded similarly. I doubt it. Sorry FN I am through with your firearms. The guns are quality the customer service without question the worse.

Before we grab the pitchforks, some questions need to be answered first:
1) how many rounds are through the gun? If you’ve shot 2000 rounds of ammo through the piece , you’ve already spent more then $400 on ammo. $25 plus shipping is not enough of an expense to justify ditching the platform. If it choked at round #4 , then there’s some justification for factory replacement. If you’ve got 10,000 rounds through it ....get your credit card out and move on with life.

2) Not necessarily a question, this- but I laugh at the guys at my range who are big on “SHTF” preparedness but then own hipster off brand guns that need single source parts. If civilization breaks down your FN/CZ/Star is one spring failure away from being a paperweight. Glocks? You can practically buy parts for those at a gas station. Police issue Sigs, Berettas, Smith’s are also good logistical choices. Those guns have so many available parts vendors it doesn’t matter whether the factory honors the warranty.

Peally
08-03-2018, 10:43 AM
It's OK Duke I'll be more rude.

I see this a lot in the firearm world. We have so many companies like Dillon or whoever that go so far beyond what they actually need or should be realistically expected to be responsible for that it creates an environment of gimme-gimme-gimme-or-you're-Hitler. Not covering a part that isn't under warranty is not "abysmal customer service" or "the worst customer service", it should be completely fucking expected customer service. The gun is not brand new and did not spontaneously melt or arrive from the manufacturer DOA right out of the box.

If I'm at work and I do Jebus knows what to one of our Cisco switches and ask for free repair parts they will politely tell me to eat a butthole unless I have paid for additional warranty coverage. They have no clue what I've done to it and they are in no way responsible for it beyond what their warranty states. And I don't take issue over it because I'd do the exact same thing in their place.

Just pay the freaking 20 bucks if it needs to be replaced. They didn't shit on your doorstep and shoot your dog, they just aren't covering a part they don't cover. I don't call HK every time a trigger return spring shits the bed wanting a new one.

If it's that incredibly critical to you make sure future firearm purchases include knowing what they might cover in the case of breakage.

43Under
08-03-2018, 10:43 AM
The thing is, the best companies don't nitpick like this. I sent a casual letter to Glock asking how much it would be to get updated magazine internals for my Glock 43 magazines. They had me send them in and sent me back 2 brand new magazines, externals and internals. Free. Did I expect that? No. Nor do I expect the local hardware store to always have really good coffee for free. But they do. Good businesses go the extra mile. FN makes excellent long arms and heavy weapons, but their effort to break into the service pistol market has been consistently half-assed. Rotating new models in rapidly, an often absurd maintenance/repair policy. It's just not good enough. The part requested is very cheap for the company to make, and a prompt, cheerful replacement could earn a lifetime customer. Benchmade and Glock have earned heavy loyalty from me for their fast, enthusiastic desire to make me a happy customer. It's just good business.

Service handguns are a very, very competitive market segment. My Smiths have lifetime warranties. Glock will hop quick to take care of stuff. Beretta has improved markedly from even a few years ago. HK started responding a lot better to customer demand and kept quality standards high. There are too many choices out there for a company to hesitate on little piddly stuff like this. It's not theoretical dollars, either, FN's track record of backing their products in a lukewarm fashion cost them $500 that would have come out of my own wallet for the 509 if I had faith in them to stand by it.

I agree about going the extra mile. It's worth a lot. But, to be fair, Glock replaced your mags why? I'm assuming because they now have updated their parts to run more reliably, yes? That's different than a part that wears. If I buy a car and there is a recall, I expect them to fix it. But I don't expect them to replace my tires with 15,000 miles on them gratis.

JRB
08-03-2018, 10:55 AM
All great points on the competitive nature of the service pistol market, and the significantly lower cost of good customer service to keep a customer vs making a new customer.

But reading a post like the OP's just makes me wish that my life was so simple and trouble-free, that I could get start-a-thread levels of annoyed by the failure of a $25 consumable part.

LockedBreech
08-03-2018, 11:13 AM
I agree about going the extra mile. It's worth a lot. But, to be fair, Glock replaced your mags why? I'm assuming because they now have updated their parts to run more reliably, yes? That's different than a part that wears. If I buy a car and there is a recall, I expect them to fix it. But I don't expect them to replace my tires with 15,000 miles on them gratis.

Companies phase in new magazines with incremental improvements all the time. The original magazines are still extremely reliable, as I understand. I take your meaning as to upgraded component vs. wear though. I also totally agree that going the extra mile is smart business but certainly not OWED.

Nephrology
08-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Would Glock, Sig S&W responded similarly. I doubt it.

I can say that S&W absolutely does better. I had the same malfunction occur with a S&W shield 9mm recoil spring. Their online system wasn't super responsive, but when I called and talk to a real person in CS, I had a new spring in the mail the same day.

JonInWA
08-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Some excellent discussion on the thread here. OP, I'll echo the question as to how many rounds/years on the FN, and die you obtain it new or pre-owned-and if pre-owned, do you have a truthful feel of its provenance, previous use and previous maintenance?

If you're a serious user of a platform, it's probably worthwhile to try to establish some sort of relationship with the manufacturer's service department and/or LE/Commercial rep. This forum has some more serious users than most, so that approach isn't likely to be received as a rabid fanboi approach for swag or a time consuming approach for the discussion of trivia.

RSAs, and other components are consumables. While I appreciate the gesture when a manufacturer or their field reps provide me with gratis components (and in my personal experience, Glock and Ruger jump to the forefront here), I don't hesitate when needed to pony up the cash for such items as needed.

Best, Jon

Bill
08-03-2018, 06:30 PM
RSAs, and other components are consumables.

Best, Jon

This was precisely my thought. While its great when companies go the extra mile (especially when its cheap and easy for them to do so), there are things that are wear-items that they just don't cover. If you blow a tire in a brand new truck, you have a claim, but if you blow a sidewall on tires that have 30k on them they're not gonna be so quick to get you strapped into a new set on their dime.

Duelist
08-04-2018, 07:46 AM
You know, last month when the RSA on my G26.3 broke, it didn’t even occur to me to call Glock. I ordered a new one from Glockmeister, installed it, and drove on. If I’d been in morenof a hurry about it, I’d have driven up to Tucson and picked it up in person instead of waiting on the mail.

A few years ago, the RSA on my Ruger MKII .22 broke after tens of thousands of rounds and decades of service. I called Ruger to order one b/c I couldn’t find one to buy at a store. Yes, they mailed me one, and didn’t charge me a cent, but they didn’t have to, and I didn’t ask nor expect them to. I actually tried to make the CS person on the phone let me pay for it, but she wouldn’t. I had to send another Ruger in for service. They refinished it while it was there, and didn’t charge me for any of it. That’s cool, but again, it isn’t required. It’s them going above and beyond.

Springs wear out. RSAs will break if you actually use the gun. They shouldn’t necessarily be warranty items.

RAM Engineer
08-04-2018, 07:48 AM
I’m not a mod, but I suggest we put a pin in this one until the OP responds

ragnar_d
08-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Disregard. Didn't submit post until after Tom posted.

LockedBreech
08-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Your original post was most likely correct. I posted the following in a different thread, but elements of it apply here as well:

The OP didn't register here just to start this thread, but at the same time he wasn't really a contributing member either. The fact that the OP copy and pasted this post on at least 5 different forums (here, fnforum.net (https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fns/210715-abysmal-customer-service.html), thefiringline.com (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597236), glocktalk.com (https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/abysmal-customer-service.1714574/), and handgunforum.net (https://www.handgunforum.net/fn/158774-abysmal-customer-service.html)) tells me that the next to last sentence in my quote above is exactly what's going on here.

Groundhog34, good luck with your gun(s) and your future endeavors. We (or rather, you) are done here.

I feel bamboozled for taking the time to respond seriously. Thanks for cleaning out the internet waste as usual.

hufnagel
08-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Also did the same thing on THR.

holmes168
08-04-2018, 07:19 PM
I feel bamboozled for taking the time to respond seriously. Thanks for cleaning out the internet waste as usual.

Not that most of my comments are worthwhile- but I have started to check the OP and some of their other posts before reading too much. Saves me some trouble in the long run.

opmike
08-04-2018, 09:09 PM
The reasonable moderation is one of the primary reasons why this is about of only a couple firearms related forums I frequent. It's also my first stop when attempting to suss out whether something is a POS or not.

With regards to the OP, I'm loath to interact with most companies beyond entering my shipping and billing info into some webpage. A FUBAR RSA on a gun that doesn't have a history of pattern failures with said component would just have me ordering a few replacements for the parts bin...not unless a new one was ridiculously priced which would then have me wondering if said gun was the right platform for me in the first place. This is also part of the reason why I'm transitioning completely back to Glocks. MOST of the small parts on these bastards is under 20 bucks, can be swapped out in under 5 minutes, and there's about a dozen websites sitting on inventory almost begging to get them shipped out to you ASAP.

hufnagel
08-05-2018, 07:50 AM
#TomDoesItMoreGooderThanMost (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=TomDoesItMoreGooderThanMost) :cool:

LtDave
08-05-2018, 10:38 AM
NRA listed them as having a discount program for NRA instructors. I filled out the paperwork to purchase an FNS and submitted same. Heard nothing back after 30 days, sent a follow up email. Still waiting for a response/denial over 2 years later. My FFL also applied for dealer status around the same time. He's still waiting.

deputyG23
08-06-2018, 12:56 PM
NRA listed them as having a discount program for NRA instructors. I filled out the paperwork to purchase an FNS and submitted same. Heard nothing back after 30 days, sent a follow up email. Still waiting for a response/denial over 2 years later. My FFL also applied for dealer status around the same time. He's still waiting.

Sorry that you had a bad experience with FN. They had a promotion this spring for "blemished" versions of the 509 pistol for certified firearms instructors for the LE package (NS and three mags). Sent paperwork in via email and got a prompt response from the FN pro shop in Columbia SC. Gun was received in about ten days if I recall. Very pleased with the product and the service. No evidence of any blemishes that I could see. Cost me about $385 to my FFL who does not charge LE a transfer fee. Trigger is still a bit gritty after 350 rounds. Another thousand should smooth it up nicely. If I do a pistol class in 2019, the 509 might just get the nod.

TomV
08-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Sorry some of you guys had a bad experience in the past. In the last couple years we brought service into the factory which helped a lot but anyone can always get better. I’d like to think we are getting a little better every day.

I find a lot of issues just come from communication and getting the right person on the other side. I’m just one cog in the machine but if you need help with sales/service/etc or just general navigating FN just shoot me a PM and I’ll try my best to point you to the right person to get you what you need.

P.S. There is no free Machine Gun guy. I’ve been looking for him for years.

willie
08-06-2018, 10:41 PM
I've owned several FN handguns and have had the company replace a couple magazines. When I received them and verified that they were ok, I destroyed the ones giving trouble. I post on a couple other forums dealing with reloading and bullet casting, and I am amazed about the things people cite as complaints. Some get all twisted if they are asked to mail back the defective part. Why? Cost of postage. I see this behavior as a sense of entitlement wherein some want something for nothing. Dillon has a no b.s. warranty because it's built into product price. Same thing with RCBS. I suspect that customer service reps hear more lies than jailers, school teachers, health inspectors, and cops. Wow! The burnout rate must be really high.

LockedBreech
08-06-2018, 10:50 PM
I've owned several FN handguns and have had the company replace a couple magazines. When I received them and verified that they were ok, I destroyed the ones giving trouble. I post on a couple other forums dealing with reloading and bullet casting, and I am amazed about the things people cite as complaints. Some get all twisted if they are asked to mail back the defective part. Why? Cost of postage. I see this behavior as a sense of entitlement wherein some want something for nothing. Dillon has a no b.s. warranty because it's built into product price. Same thing with RCBS. I suspect that customer service reps hear more lies than jailers, school teachers, health inspectors, and cops. Wow! The burnout rate must be really high.

It’s not entitlement, it’s the free market. If your competitors provide services and product backing that you do not, your competitors will enjoy word of mouth that you will not benefit from.

If a restaurant offers free delivery and another charges $6 for delivery, and I choose the free delivery restaurant, I’m not “entitled” and I don’t “want something for nothing” - I’m making a free market decision with my earned dollar based on my judgment that the free delivery restaurant is doing better for my dollar. That simple.

willie
08-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Good point.

LockedBreech
08-07-2018, 12:27 AM
Good point.

And hey, if your free market experience is that your FN stuff rocks, your dollar is just as valuable as mine. The one true absolute democracy.

fixer
08-07-2018, 05:13 AM
The best customer service is never having to need or use customer service.

HCountyGuy
08-07-2018, 09:51 AM
It's OK Duke I'll be more rude.

I see this a lot in the firearm world. We have so many companies like Dillon or whoever that go so far beyond what they actually need or should be realistically expected to be responsible for that it creates an environment of gimme-gimme-gimme-or-you're-Hitler. Not covering a part that isn't under warranty is not "abysmal customer service" or "the worst customer service", it should be completely fucking expected customer service. The gun is not brand new and did not spontaneously melt or arrive from the manufacturer DOA right out of the box.

If I'm at work and I do Jebus knows what to one of our Cisco switches and ask for free repair parts they will politely tell me to eat a butthole unless I have paid for additional warranty coverage. They have no clue what I've done to it and they are in no way responsible for it beyond what their warranty states. And I don't take issue over it because I'd do the exact same thing in their place.

Just pay the freaking 20 bucks if it needs to be replaced. They didn't shit on your doorstep and shoot your dog, they just aren't covering a part they don't cover. I don't call HK every time a trigger return spring shits the bed wanting a new one.

If it's that incredibly critical to you make sure future firearm purchases include knowing what they might cover in the case of breakage.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter, not just in regards to this specific issue but the general public’s attitude toward different CS practices at different companies.

When a company goes the extra mile yes it’s nice because you feel valued as a customer. But what’s really wrong with them sticking strictly to doing what’s needed to rectify the issue? Nothing IMHO.

Some companies go a tad too far in their efforts to appease folks. Partly in that stuff costs money and also it sets an expectation that won’t always be met. Those two issues sometime combine and the result is a former practice getting axed because some bean counter said “hey, we’re losing serious money doing this” and the HMFIC(s) said “not out of my bonus!” And usually that results from folks abusing the kind gesture.

At the end of the day, these companies have to keep costs in check. If they go the extra mile, great. If not, that’s fine too. People need to learn to accept that both practices are equally acceptable so long as the problem is sufficiently addressed.

Nobody owes you anything.

LockedBreech
08-07-2018, 10:04 AM

If they want my $500 + FFL fee, shipping, and holster and ammo costs, they sure do. :)

I'm not sure why I'm engaging so hard on this issue. The sum total of my participation was not buying an FN. I just don't think value systems or expectations or any of that really play a role here. It's just purely the free market at work.

I will shut up. To steal a timeless Tom phrase, I'm probably at post less, read more status in this thread at this point.

VT1032
08-07-2018, 10:33 AM

With respect, they absolutely owe me something, that's how capitalism works... If I exchange my monopoly money for a funtioning firearm, they owe me a functioning firearm. If the firearm I recieve is not functioning, I expect it to be fixed most rickey tick on their time and dime. There is a difference between defect and wear items, which I think definitely applies in this case, but if the OP doesn't provide more info, we'll never know. For instance, I'll be the first to say that an RSA is an expendable wear item that likely should not be covered under a warranty if it wears out from normal use, or abuse. That said, if I buy an pistol and the guide rod in the rsa breaks in the first 100 rounds or something like that, yes, I do think that should be covered under warranty, wear item or not. It did not break due to wear and tear, clearly, so the company in question should replace the defective part, on their dime. They took my money with the expectation that I would recieve a functioning firearm.

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Similarly, I don't owe anyone my business.

Ruger will fix or replace a revolver under pretty much any circumstances. Do they "owe" me a repair? Lulz, no. Do I buy a lot of Rugers? Yup. Sig sent me a new decocking lever for free when I broke mine due to tens of thousands of uses. They replaced a front sight for me when the insert fell out at 40k-ish rounds. Did they "owe" me those courtesies? No. Do I buy a lot of Sigs? Yup.

HCountyGuy
08-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Okay let me amend my previous statement:

Nobody owes you more than what you’ve paid them for.

JonInWA
08-07-2018, 12:31 PM
There are forecasted maintenance/component replacement schedules for most firearms, as well as a forecasted/contracted lifespan for a given weapon. At the end of the forecasted lifespan, it doesn't necessarily mean that the weapon is unservicable junk, it's just the statistically calculated point at which the cost to continuously maintain the weapon is disproportonate to either the residual value/utility left, and/or in relation to the cost of simply replacing the weapon with a new one. That's why LEO trade-ins can be a good buy-or a bit of a crapshoot. And it's why some manufacturers have a used gun refurbishment and certified used gun program.

In my experience, these intervals are usually kept at the manufacturer's customer service/tech support levels, and provided to certified armorers, and not otherwise necessarily publicly available.

Obviously, it's one thing if a component breaks prior to the forecasted replacement interval point. Clearly in my mind the manufacturer would be well advised to replaced the failed component in that case gratis.

But it also assumes that the end user is using the weapon responsibly, and within its designed parameters. It's not unreasonable at all for the manufacturer to ask for the broken component (or the weapon itself) for examination, particularly for "interesting" or suspect situations. Additionally, it can be used to provide input for ongoing production cycle improvements.

Best, Jon

willie
08-07-2018, 10:23 PM
When I worked as a health inspector, I had to keep my cell phone on 24/7. It rang frequently, and almost in every case, the other party had a complaint, which was sometimes about me. No pretty girls called and said "Willie, you are a nice guy so let me blow you." I give this weird example to show how customer service reps must feel. When I call S&W or CZ or Beretta, I say that I am a happy consumer of your product and that I have a question. In almost every instance I receive what I'm asking for which sometimes is information or a replacement part or their picking up shipping costs of my gun to them. These comments are not aimed at the op. They may be thread drift. However, I want to point out that how we ask for things often determines the outcome.

LockedBreech
08-07-2018, 11:30 PM
When I worked as a health inspector, I had to keep my cell phone on 24/7. It rang frequently, and almost in every case, the other party had a complaint, which was sometimes about me. No pretty girls called and said "Willie, you are a nice guy so let me blow you."

It's true what they say, benefits are just as important as salary.

Jokes aside, I agree that a friendly casual approach works wonders with customer service. Always ask how their day is going and B.S. a little bit in my experience. They almost always loosen up and will bend the rules a little for you.

ffhounddog
08-08-2018, 07:11 AM
HK sent me a recoil assembly for free for my P2000 in 40 that magically disappeared when I called to see about buying a replacement. Something about how they have a lot of P2000 recoil assemblies in stock right now.

HCountyGuy
08-08-2018, 07:27 AM
When I worked as a health inspector, I had to keep my cell phone on 24/7. It rang frequently, and almost in every case, the other party had a complaint, which was sometimes about me. No pretty girls called and said "Willie, you are a nice guy so let me blow you." I give this weird example to show how customer service reps must feel. When I call S&W or CZ or Beretta, I say that I am a happy consumer of your product and that I have a question. In almost every instance I receive what I'm asking for which sometimes is information or a replacement part or their picking up shipping costs of my gun to them. These comments are not aimed at the op. They may be thread drift. However, I want to point out that how we ask for things often determines the outcome.

Having worked customer service extensively, I do my best to be as polite as possible to those in CS. I know how much it sucks being on the receiving end of some raving lunatic who thinks they’re owed something just because “the customer is always right”. So even if I have an issue, I aim to be pleasant (unless they get defensive and hostile). It usually produces generous results.

Jim Watson
08-08-2018, 09:11 AM
The OP's complaining and general expectations of "customer service" aside;
I am interested at how readily the term "RSA" for Recoil Spring Assembly falls trippingly off the tongue... or keyboard. We are getting trained to discard the guide rod, coupler, and flanges along with presumably squashed springs.
I see a Glock RSA at Lone Wolf that is cataloged: "Precision CNC machined to accept a removable Allen head tip, for easy spring changes." but I cannot find where they sell loose springs for such changes.

I understand the design and its usefulness in short automatics, but Larry Seecamp didn't rivet his together.
I do not understand the application in service pistols. A single spring on a simple guide has worked for a long time.

Redhat
08-08-2018, 09:33 AM
The OP's complaining and general expectations of "customer service" aside;
I am interested at how readily the term "RSA" for Recoil Spring Assembly falls trippingly off the tongue... or keyboard. We are getting trained to discard the guide rod, coupler, and flanges along with presumably squashed springs.
I see a Glock RSA at Lone Wolf that is cataloged: "Precision CNC machined to accept a removable Allen head tip, for easy spring changes." but I cannot find where they sell loose springs for such changes.

I understand the design and its usefulness in short automatics, but Larry Seecamp didn't rivet his together.
I do not understand the application in service pistols. A single spring on a simple guide has worked for a long time.

Maybe it's so they can claim there are less parts in the pistol....

the Schwartz
08-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Hey, JMB certainly thought so!