PDA

View Full Version : Inherent variations in Beretta 92 triggers from gun to gun

Bill
08-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Over the years I've had about a dozen 92's in one flavor or another. Currently I have five (I think. . . ), and I was reminded again today how variable the triggers are, even when set up similarly. They each seem to be their own animal to some degree, with their own quirks

I brought home a brand new commercial M9 today...cause well... I didn't have an M9, and you know.... straight dust cover. . . And I put a Langdon trigger job in a bag in it, as I have three other current Berettas. While there were obvious improvements over stock, this gun really didn't clean up as well as some of its siblings. Still a decent bit of stacking and at least one hiccup in the DA pull I'm working on diagnosing. SA pull is clean but slightly lighter than normal with a little more roll to it.

My m9a3 which was new when it got the trigger job also was a good 20% smoother in DA. The SA pull has a harder stop to the wall and a quarter to half pound more weight in it, even after 1000 rounds.

The best trigger'd 92 I have is my unknown round count 92a1 which got a full overhaul last month when I discovered it had broken its firing pin, and has the most wonderful, swinging, glassy smooth trigger, with all the same langdon parts and same hammer spring weight as the other two (13lb). This gun also saw the biggest improvement in overtravel reduction from the Wilson trigger bar, with a resulting very minimal overtravel and shorter reset.

Aside from just breaking in type smoothing out, and minor variations in sear engagement for the SA release, has anyone else noticed this trend? If so, have you identified particular parts or part interactions where the variation in tolerances etc manifests itself? I'm relatively familiar with the platform, but these sorts of observations are still beyond my experience. Curious what says the hive-mind, or even if the true pizzablaster intelligencia bother trying multiple examples of the same part to find the one that "fits" the gun better and produces noticeable improvements.

Jeep
08-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Over the years I've had about a dozen 92's in one flavor or another. Currently I have five (I think. . . ), and I was reminded again today how variable the triggers are, even when set up similarly. They each seem to be their own animal to some degree, with their own quirks

I brought home a brand new commercial M9 today...cause well... I didn't have an M9, and you know.... straight dust cover. . . And I put a Langdon trigger job in a bag in it, as I have three other current Berettas. While there were obvious improvements over stock, this gun really didn't clean up as well as some of its siblings. Still a decent bit of stacking and at least one hiccup in the DA pull I'm working on diagnosing. SA pull is clean but slightly lighter than normal with a little more roll to it.

My m9a3 which was new when it got the trigger job also was a good 20% smoother in DA. The SA pull has a harder stop to the wall and a quarter to half pound more weight in it, even after 1000 rounds.

The best trigger'd 92 I have is my unknown round count 92a1 which got a full overhaul last month when I discovered it had broken its firing pin, and has the most wonderful, swinging, glassy smooth trigger, with all the same langdon parts and same hammer spring weight as the other two (13lb). This gun also saw the biggest improvement in overtravel reduction from the Wilson trigger bar, with a resulting very minimal overtravel and shorter reset.

Aside from just breaking in type smoothing out, and minor variations in sear engagement for the SA release, has anyone else noticed this trend? If so, have you identified particular parts or part interactions where the variation in tolerances etc manifests itself? I'm relatively familiar with the platform, but these sorts of observations are still beyond my experience. Curious what says the hive-mind, or even if the true pizzablaster intelligencia bother trying multiple examples of the same part to find the one that "fits" the gun better and produces noticeable improvements.

I think that this kind of variation is typical of mass-produced products. Some samples are simply better than other samples. For that M9, you might try it with a 12# hammer and see what happens. In addition, it might smooth out with some rounds through it.

OlongJohnson
08-03-2018, 11:03 AM
I find that thoroughly deburring the frame and action of most pistols will smooth them out considerably. There's a lot more going on than just the hammer and sear.

JRB
08-03-2018, 11:03 AM
"Rack-Grade" M9's in most military arms rooms suffer from an even wider strata in trigger pull.
One M9 will have dragging barb-wire through a meat grinder DA, SA that feels like a NY2 Glock... next M9 in the rack is broken in smoothly and has some stacking in the ~12lb DA but is otherwise smooth, and a ~4-5lb SA that breaks almost nicely.

spinmove_
08-03-2018, 11:59 AM
I just bought a 2018 made Beretta 92FS. Coming from a Glock, the out of the box trigger felt buttery smooth and was rather manageable. I just installed a D spring last night in it. It feels simply sublime. I can’t imagine what a Langdon TJIaB feels like.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

JonInWA
08-03-2018, 12:51 PM
All of my 92s (a previous 92D Centurion, a previous 92FS Compact L Type M, and my current 92D) have had good-to-excellent triggerpulls. The 92D's is far and away the best, even before any component tweaking; now it's in the "sublime" category....

Best, Jon

Bill
08-03-2018, 01:01 PM
I've been playing around with different combinations of the slides and frames to see if I can find the *lump* in the M9 DA trigger. There's something in the particular combination of M9 slide and frame that causes it, cause the M9 frame with my M9a3 upper on it is smooth, and the M9 upper on the M9a3 frame pulls smooth....I'm thinking maybe the small channel that the top birdshead of the trigger bar rides in has a burr in it perhaps. . .

JAH 3rd
08-03-2018, 01:38 PM
I have an M9 that was, according to Beretta, manufactured in 2007. I have put in a D spring as the only modification. The trigger action was acceptable out of the box. I continue to be amazed at how smooth the slide moves across the frame...like it just glides without a hitch.

willie
08-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Sometimes this will improve 92 double actions with a hitch: While pressing against the hammer and maintaining force, pull trigger several times throughout double action arc of motion. The idea is mating the parts together. This tactic is especially effective in improving single action trigger pulls.

Bill
08-03-2018, 06:22 PM
In continuing to work with the pistol I have gotten most of the lump in the DA pull out. The offender seemed to be the small detent pin thats in the right side of the G conversion unit. Its the pin that when the FS lever is in the down position, it pushes down on the trigger bar to disconnect it from the hammer. On the G conversion, when the decocker is up, that pin still sits proud of the underside of the slide notch just a millimeter or so, and in the DA pull, the trigger bar rides over it. For whatever reason, the trigger bar was impacting it at an off angle and slipping off of it to the side, rather than running smoothly over it. The result being the feeling of a speedbump in the beginning of the DA pull. I pulled the trigger bar and that little detent and polished/stoned them both, re-oiled,and the lump is gone.

Kinda nerdy, very picky, but I like figuring out how these pistols work, and I returned from the bench feeling triumphant. Now my new M9 feels as good as my other Berettas, and I can sleep tonight. . .

Trooper224
08-03-2018, 11:08 PM
I've found this to be the case with every firearm I've had experience with in multiples, it's hardly specific to the 92.

The US made INOX I use as a carry gun was noticeably slicker out of the box than either of the black Italian 92s I bought around the same time. The trigger on the first year production 92 I bought as a collectable is absolute crap when compared to any new production 92 I've used.

Ivantheterrible
08-04-2018, 06:24 AM
In owning four 92FS' and one M9, each has had their own unique "feel" in both SA and DA pulls. One had an issue, on SA, where you had to really pull hard, at the end of the stroke, for the sear to release. This was fixed with a new trigger bar. My M9 has a broken in trigger pull that is nothing short of excellent and I have done NO modifications to it. Even the SA pull has a buttery smooth transition between slack and engagement.

OlongJohnson
08-04-2018, 11:11 AM
In continuing to work with the pistol I have gotten most of the lump in the DA pull out. The offender seemed to be the small detent pin thats in the right side of the G conversion unit. Its the pin that when the FS lever is in the down position, it pushes down on the trigger bar to disconnect it from the hammer. On the G conversion, when the decocker is up, that pin still sits proud of the underside of the slide notch just a millimeter or so, and in the DA pull, the trigger bar rides over it. For whatever reason, the trigger bar was impacting it at an off angle and slipping off of it to the side, rather than running smoothly over it. The result being the feeling of a speedbump in the beginning of the DA pull. I pulled the trigger bar and that little detent and polished/stoned them both, re-oiled,and the lump is gone.

Kinda nerdy, very picky, but I like figuring out how these pistols work, and I returned from the bench feeling triumphant. Now my new M9 feels as good as my other Berettas, and I can sleep tonight. . .

Surely, the training and experience of your local "sight installer"/"gunsmith" is required to carry out such a task safely!

LockedBreech
08-05-2018, 12:13 PM
I absolutely agree with Berettas having unique trigger feels. I have a 2013 production 92FS and a 2017 production 92A1, very distinct. The 92FS is the better. Just an absolutely superb pistol soup to nuts. The 92A1 is very nice too but 92FS is smoother and lighter.

Of course, I also have about 1,000 more rounds through the FS and since it's my typical travel pistol I started gathering that "I have owned this pistol a while and taken it lots of places" pattern of small dings and wear marks that I absolutely love in a gun, so I am pretty partial to it generally speaking.