PDA

View Full Version : Interesting CCW fixed blade.

9mm_shooter
08-02-2018, 06:41 AM
For around $150: S35VN, and G10 handles.
https://milmakaz.com/product/ccw-production-blade/

Edited a typo in the steel description. Correct steel is "S35VN"
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

blues
08-02-2018, 08:17 AM
I'd be a little leery trusting a maker that couldn't take a better image of his work. ;)

Hizzie
08-02-2018, 08:40 AM
He is on IG and has much better pics.

blues
08-02-2018, 08:54 AM
He is on IG and has much better pics.

Thanks, Hizzie.

I was mostly being facetious though not entirely.

(I'm not on any social media but this and a couple other forums. No twitter. No facebook. No instagram. Guess I don't know what I'm missing but I'm okay with it.)

Hambo
08-02-2018, 09:34 AM
If you click available blades, there is a side menu on the right with links to better photos.

Hizzie
08-02-2018, 04:46 PM
If you click on the images they are displayed larger and look a lot better.

Also, it's nice that they acknowledge, indirectly, that the knives are made overseas.

Those are his production knives. He does full handmade stuff as well. He does sets for Courses of Action that are a collaborative effort with him and Johnny Primo.

p/BgZIxNUBkOg

ChrisLapre
08-06-2018, 08:30 PM
I was mostly making a needlessly snarky reference to other makers that do the same thing, but don't mention that their production knives are made in China.

Justin is a rock solid dude who I’ve known for 15 years. I can vouch for him as a person, swat cop, and knife maker. His production blades were done to cut down on lead times. His primary job as a full time swat member in one of the busiest agencies in the country, makes his lead time a bit long at times.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-13-2018, 11:45 AM
I bought a production CCW model to begin experimenting with. Fit and finish of the blade as well as overall quality are excellent. Edge is stupid sharp. I reached out to the maker through direct messages on Instagram and got almost imedate replies. Got the feeling from our back and forths that he is a genuinely good guy.

I will post some pictures of the blade later tonight at work. I love the enlarged hawkbill style pommel and it really anchors the knife in the hand and allows the thumb to sit comfortably on top as a power assist in a reverse grip.

I hate the the large teck lock that came with the sheath. I see that a Discreet Carry Concept clip is an option now for new blades. Really wish I held out for that but not a deal breaker. This package is an excellent overall value for what you get. Basically Spyderco or Benchmade pricing for a true purpose built blade that actually delivers.

My main concern is that it is very slim and skinny in my bear paw hands. The knife kind of wants to roll and the grip is slightly cramped for me. Again, this is due simploto my hand size and not the knife. I was told the CCW-L version has a slightly larger handle but I'm not sure I want to step up to a 4" blade on a low profile CCW knife.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Crappy in car phone pictures.

OnionsAndDragons
08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Are the grip scales just screwed on?

If so, getting it jap-wrapped by a maker known for that work might just fix that issue. Or taking a Dremel and a hour or so to re profile and up the aggressiveness on the scale texturing. I really prefer a wrap of some kind on thin handled knives as I don't think anything gives better traction if done well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
08-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Are the grip scales just screwed on?

If so, getting it jap-wrapped by a maker known for that work might just fix that issue. Or taking a Dremel and a hour or so to re profile and up the aggressiveness on the scale texturing. I really prefer a wrap of some kind on thin handled knives as I don't think anything gives better traction if done well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent suggestion and I agree with you on the superior grip of a good jap-wrap handle. My ideal handle is wider with the wrap IE: my Watson HiTS Ti.

However I'm not sure re-texturing or even re-wrapping the handle on the CCW will solve my issues with rolling. It's just a little small for me. I'm thinking about selling it to buy the larger L version because I really like the design of it. Here is a screenshot from the Maker's Instagram account of the two versions next to each other:

I also am itching to get my hands on a Sosby Blades Cub as a true discreet CCW carry blade. Handle looks like it will solve some of my issues.

Kram
08-22-2018, 03:42 PM
I also am itching to get my hands on a Sosby Blades Cub as a true discreet CCW carry blade. Handle looks like it will solve some of my issues.

I really want the Cub for the same reason. Hopefully they will be available again soon and with a trainer blade option.

MilMakAZ
09-15-2018, 09:35 AM
I'd be a little leery trusting a maker that couldn't take a better image of his work. ;)

HaHa! I need to work on my photo skills for sure!

blues
09-15-2018, 10:02 AM
HaHa! I need to work on my photo skills for sure!

Well, my own pix leave something to be desired but then my livelihood doesn't depend on it. (Thankfully.)

FWIW, a few respected members stepped up to speak well of your gear and that was good enough for me. (I'm something of a knife guy.)

So, I hope I gave no cause to take offense and that none was taken. Your stuff looks good and I wish you success.

ETA: And where are my manners? Welcome to the forum. (The best of its kind, I daresay.)

MilMakAZ
09-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Well, my own pix leave something to be desired but then my livelihood doesn't depend on it. (Thankfully.)

FWIW, a few respected members stepped up to speak well of your gear and that was good enough for me. (I'm something of a knife guy.)

So, I hope I gave no cause to take offense and that none was taken. Your stuff looks good and I wish you success.

ETA: And where are my manners? Welcome to the forum. (The best of its kind, I daresay.)

No offense at all man! I thought it was funny. I try to only be serious at work! Have a great weekend!

BillSWPA
09-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Since Justin is now here 8’will add my observations.

This looks like a really well designed knife. I like the fact that the handle has pronounced features to keep the hand from sliding one way or the other. These are critical and often overlooked details.

“Approximately 3 inches” may or may not be helpful. Depending on jurisdiction, whether it is slightly longer or slightly shorter can make a big difference in legality of carry. I would prefer that the blade be listed as, and actually be 2 7/8 to 2.9 inches long. Exactly 3” is also not bad but less preferred.

As other me mentioned , the sheath could use some more thought. In my opinion, the carry system adds more to the usefulness of a knife than the knife itself. I suggest considering some additional attachments that could be included, perhaps for carry methods other than belt carry. A knife that will be carried more often is worth paying a little more to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNK
09-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Did you ever purchase the L version?

I bought a production CCW model to begin experimenting with. Fit and finish of the blade as well as overall quality are excellent. Edge is stupid sharp. I reached out to the maker through direct messages on Instagram and got almost imedate replies. Got the feeling from our back and forths that he is a genuinely good guy.

I will post some pictures of the blade later tonight at work. I love the enlarged hawkbill style pommel and it really anchors the knife in the hand and allows the thumb to sit comfortably on top as a power assist in a reverse grip.

I hate the the large teck lock that came with the sheath. I see that a Discreet Carry Concept clip is an option now for new blades. Really wish I held out for that but not a deal breaker. This package is an excellent overall value for what you get. Basically Spyderco or Benchmade pricing for a true purpose built blade that actually delivers.

My main concern is that it is very slim and skinny in my bear paw hands. The knife kind of wants to roll and the grip is slightly cramped for me. Again, this is due simploto my hand size and not the knife. I was told the CCW-L version has a slightly larger handle but I'm not sure I want to step up to a 4" blade on a low profile CCW knife.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Did you ever purchase the L version?

Not yet. I listed my standard CCW for sale and haven't been able to get an L version yet. I was debating just making some mods to my current CCW but I think I really just want the L.

03RN
09-16-2018, 07:53 PM
How's everyone carrying this? I need a knife for 11oclock iwb.

GuanoLoco
09-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Not yet. I listed my standard CCW for sale and haven't been able to get an L version yet. I was debating just making some mods to my current CCW but I think I really just want the L.

Watching with interest.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-16-2018, 08:42 PM
How's everyone carrying this? I need a knife for 11oclock iwb.

With the provided standard Tech-Lock style belt clip, IWB carry is not really possible. The clip is serviceable with OWB carry in an appendix position though and I found it would conceal well even with just a polo or a tee shirt. This is thanks to the slim overall profile of the handle.

The ideal IWB option is to install either a soft loop or a steel clip like the offerings from Discreet Carry Concepts. The DCC clips are now an add on option from MilMak when you order a new blade. The way they mount up looks like it gives the blade a slight reverse can't in the waistband which should help with comfort and concealment a bit.

Also, Blade Rigs is now listing the production CCW and CCW-L blades as a standard option for their IWB sheaths.

UNK
09-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Sounds good Look forward to your thoughts on the L.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Sounds good Look forward to your thoughts on the L.

Looks like the L won't be happening for me for a bit. Something else became available that I had to jump on. Plus I think I would rather buy a true custom from the man than a production.