PDA

View Full Version : RFI: IWB Holster Advice

Grey
08-01-2018, 02:37 PM
I normally carry AIWB but that doesnt work so well when you are carrying squirmy kid or trying to feed him. I was thinking that IWB might be a temporary solution till I no longer have competition for my front real estate.

The main question is what have people found to be the most comfortable, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock? What about cant, 15 or 20? Any advice from those whole have been using IWB would be most appreciated.

Is there anyone better than JMCK for IWB? Hes my defacto choice for AIWB.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

blues
08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
As a dyed in the wool AIWB guy, I'm not particularly comfortable carrying IWB (for the most part) but if I were, the JMCK IWB 3 seems like it's almost universally beloved. Those numbers don't lie, imho.

Cant is a personal thing. My right shoulder barks if I don't find the correct angle. (Too many old climbing and sports injuries I guess.)

spinmove_
08-01-2018, 02:55 PM
I’ll second the JMCK IWB3 as it’s my go-to holster right now. Cant is a personal thing, I prefer 10-15 degrees. I typically carry around 3:30.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Jared
08-01-2018, 02:58 PM
I really really prefer leather at 3:00. That said, JMCK IWB 3 is the most comfortable kydex 3:00 IWB I've ever tried. Cant is very personal, but 10-15° seems to be a good starting point for a lot of folks.

rathos
08-01-2018, 05:04 PM
I prefer 3 o'clock as I like to carry in the same spot as on duty. I also prefer a 0 cant. For holster, I like leather the best preferring a VM2 style holster. However those can be hard to find in a 0 cant. I have used the JM stuff and it is also pretty comfortable but I prefer the IWB2.

Grey
08-01-2018, 05:24 PM
I prefer 3 o'clock as I like to carry in the same spot as on duty. I also prefer a 0 cant. For holster, I like leather the best preferring a VM2 style holster. However those can be hard to find in a 0 cant. I have used the JM stuff and it is also pretty comfortable but I prefer the IWB2.

Thanks for the note, I would probably go with a zero cant for 3 o'clock, I imagine I'd do 10 or 15 degrees at 3:30. I'll have to see IWB2 vs 3.

jws
08-01-2018, 05:44 PM
I have a JMCK IWB V2 for a Glock 23. I think it had a 15-20 degree cant, I don’t remember for sure. It worked well for me and seems lower profile to me than the IWB V3 my buddy has.

Duelist
08-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Depends partly on the gun, but I like a 0-10 cant, no further back than 4:00.

JMCK IWB#3, I have one for my G26 and a lefty and a righty for the G42s, and a George with no pad/wedge or other attachments besides the belt clip works for me for my Beretta 92. So if you already have a George, you might just try it at 3:00-3:30 and see how it works for you. Take off the wedge first, though. That doesn’t feel awesome.

Tony Mayer
08-01-2018, 06:46 PM
I normally carry AIWB but that doesnt work so well when you are carrying squirmy kid or trying to feed him. I was thinking that IWB might be a temporary solution till I no longer have competition for my front real estate.

The main question is what have people found to be the most comfortable, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock? What about cant, 15 or 20? Any advice from those whole have been using IWB would be most appreciated.

Is there anyone better than JMCK for IWB? Hes my defacto choice for AIWB.

Grey, depends a lot on your body type, where on your body (3:30 to 4:30 offers better concealment/retention than anything past that) and for what pistol. Also depends on your range of motion. What pistol are you going to carry? Also, the IWB3 is a really good holster for smaller guys and for polymer guns. Once you get into the steel/aluminum/whatever guns (1911's, CZ 75's, etc.), I think the IWB2 is a better solution as it will spread the weight better. Whichever way you go, I would suggest pull the dot loops, fixed soft loops, or the split loop (IWB3 only) as belt loop choices. Thanks and let me know if you have any specific questions for me.

PearTree
08-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I'm going to echo everyone else with the jm iwb3 10-15 can't at 3-3:30. I wear it all day with no issues, it's very comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nocturnalis Discipulo
08-01-2018, 07:42 PM
I am going to chime in with everyone else JMCK IWB3. I loved mine when I carried strongside.

I think that the cant will vary depend on size of the gun, a fullsize pistol needing more cant for the same concealment as a compact gun. What size gun are you looking to carry? I was very happy with 20 degree with my P30L, I have some shoulder problems and was using it right at 3 O'clock. It concealed great, and was very comfortable.

Trukinjp13
08-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Iwb 3 ftmfw. I prefer 15-20* cant. The holsters just flat out work!

BillSWPA
08-01-2018, 10:52 PM
3:30. If I am carrying my Glock 26, vertical works well. If I am carrying my Glock 19, a 15 degree cant. works well. In general, 10-15 degrees will be ideal for many guns. Do not exceed 15 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDFA
08-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Milt Sparks VM2 or SS2 at 3:00-3:30. I've used the SS2 for years and recently switched to the VM2 which is more comfortable.

ViniVidivici
08-02-2018, 11:31 AM
You'll find a "sweet spot" on your side, somewhere around 3-5 o'clock, depending on body type.

Cant, for me, depended on the gun. Full-size 1911, more forward. Much less so with Glocks, full-size or compact.

I've only ever used BladeTech for this type, and been very happy with them over the years. That said, I'm running two JMCK holsters for AIWB lately, and the quality and fit is top notch. Really liking them. If I were to neef another strong side IWB at this point, I'd probably go with a JMCK.

peterb
08-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I tried tucking the pistol into my belt at different angles and positions until it felt right, took photos, and sent them to Tony at JMCK asking for advice. For me it was an IWB3, 15 degrees, roughly 3:30.

That’s one of the things you get when you buy a good custom holster from a reputable vendor — someone who cares about their customers, and who will work with you to get it right.

Another option is to buy a cheap molded holster, modify it(cut/drill/tape)until it feels best, and use that as a model for your “nice” holster.

Grey
08-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Based on advice here and from Tony, IWB3 20 degrees, pull the dot.

03RN
08-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Pretty much all my guns have jmcustom aiwb holsters and horsehide summer special holsters. Either by Milt Sparks or Ryan Grizzle. I just placed an order for Ryan Grizzle to make a vm2 style holster for my M19.

I can't do kydex iwb behind the hip.

cornstalker
08-02-2018, 11:53 PM
JMCK IWB3 at 4-4:30, 20 degree
My sweet spot is a little far back. The gun is comfortable and very concealable there. Only bad part is after a decade or two of carrying there, my back is starting to bitch about it. Of course at my age, just add it to the list. LOL.

JAD
08-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Milt Sparks EX-RSO 10 degrees at 3:00. It was one of the things TLG and I agreed on a lot.

I like the VM2 and the for-me-similar jmck iwb4 a lot but they tend to creep to 3:30, and that always prints more for me when I’m in motion. It also clonks chairs and pews more, which may be the thing I like best about AIWB.

I used to rest my kid on top of my aiwb P30 occasionally. I suppose that’s kind of bad.

JSGlock34
08-03-2018, 01:47 AM
I use a custom JMCK IWB3 for Glock 17/19 carry, but my favorite IWB combination is a 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2. The flat 1911 is ideal for IWB carry. As Tony said, I find a wider IWB works better than the Summer Special style designs for the heavier steel pistols.