PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had the Wilson Remington Steal Package done?

vaspence
07-31-2018, 09:16 PM
As titled, looking for insight on the Wilson Remington Steal package, anyone had one performed? Just came into an older Wingmaster (2 3/4) that needs a tuneup and refinish.

Pit
07-31-2018, 10:05 PM
As titled, looking for insight on the Wilson Remington Steal package, anyone had one performed? Just came into an older Wingmaster (2 3/4) that needs a tuneup and refinish.

I had an old Remington 870 I used for hunting. Found a rifle sight barrel for cheap and used that for deer hunting. I also used this shotgun on the job. Shortly after WC acquired Scattergun Tech I sent my 870 in for the Remington Steal Deal. Ended up doing the Border Patrol package. Very accurate with the ol' 1 oz. slugs. Has Speed Feed rear stock, old style Sure Fire light forearm, Trac Lock Ghost Ring rear sight and Tritium front sight post. Been on a number of warrant services using 4 buck on dogs during entries as well as some uses with less lethal bean bags. Lots of rounds thru it, never an issue. Was a very economical upgrade to a good weapon. Being guaranteed for life is another bonus.

JW

Guerrero
07-31-2018, 10:13 PM
You could also look into the full Vang Comp upgrade.

Tabasco
08-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Had it done back in 2000. Came back like new. Did one on my own recently, and it ended up costing me $300 or so, so their package is a 'steal'.

TCinVA
08-01-2018, 02:33 PM

Between ARay and I, we've had three shotguns refinished/customized by Wilson.

Gun that was reworked is on the right in the before pic...

That was a 1960's vintage 870 Wingmaster with a 1980's vintage rifle-sighted cylinder bore barrel I found in a gunshop. Had Wilson replace the ejector (it was rather tired), replace the shell stops (one was loose) and refinish the gun in their burnt bronze equivalent, and cut the barrel to take Remington choke tubes.

If all you want is a refinish and some armorer work done on the gun, it's worthwhile...although I'd spend the little bit of extra money and get one of the true Armor-Tuff coatings on the gun. I'm not sure that the standard black is Armor-Tuff. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

If you want more custom gunsmithing work done than armorer level work done on the gun...to include working on the geometry inside the barrel...I'd send it to Vang.

Another good option would be Robar. Their finishes are SPLENDID on an 870, especially the NP3. They work closely with Vang Comp as well. Getting the gun NP3'd will cost a little more but having handled a couple of fully NP3'd 870's the result is absolutely spectacular.

Pit
08-02-2018, 08:03 AM
TC, Very nice.

Mine started off with the same forearm set up as the gun on the right. The weapon is parkerized as the painted finishes were still relatively new (at least to me) and I had no experience with that process.

JW

Aray
08-02-2018, 08:18 AM
As Tim stated, I've had 2 done, both with the Armor Tough coating. Both of mine started out as rattletrap LE trade ins and came back looking and running great.

It is a really good deal.

If you don't get the Armor Tough coating, they just re-parkerize the gun. I can't post pics right now because I'm at work.

65k10
11-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Is Wilson Combat good about changing out any possible worn parts when doing the Remington Steal service? I have an older trade-in wingmaster that would probably be a good candidate for this. The bluing is getting rough and it needs the flexitab upgrade. However, I've considered buying the flexitab parts and not worry about the finish to keep costs down since I'm still in the stage of seeing if a good HD type shotgun works for me. The flip side is maybe the money spent sending the gun in would be worth it if the end result is taking an 870 from back when they were well made and getting it back to near new condition. I'm kind of stuck trying to decide what the best thing would be to do with this old Wingmaster. Any advice?

Sorry to bring this back up, but after getting in on the Ohio National Guard 870 deal, my interest in shotguns kind of came back and had me looking at an old trade-in 870 I bought a few years ago.

Jay Cunningham
11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
As far as I remember, they change out most of the old parts. I sent in a beat up police magnum and it came back very nice.

TCinVA
11-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Is Wilson Combat good about changing out any possible worn parts when doing the Remington Steal service?

Generally speaking, yes.

When I sent mine in I made special mention of the ejector because I wanted to be sure it would get replaced. If you are sending it in, it wouldn't hurt to specify that you would like to see specific parts replaced if you are worried about them. I included a letter detailing what I would like to have done on the gun and they called me up to verify that before starting on it and to verify it had all been done before shipping it back to me.

Jay Cunningham
11-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Generally speaking, yes.

When I sent mine in I made special mention of the ejector because I wanted to be sure it would get replaced. If you are sending it in, it wouldn't hurt to specify that you would like to see specific parts replaced if you are worried about them. I included a letter detailing what I would like to have done on the gun and they called me up to verify that before starting on it and to verify it had all been done before shipping it back to me.

They called me before they started on it, too.

Aray
11-03-2018, 12:24 PM
They called me before they started on it, too.

They called me also, both times.