PDA

View Full Version : Ban Tang Clinch Picks

Wondering Beard
07-27-2018, 11:51 AM
For those interested, Illum has some of Ban's Clinch Picks available for sale: Ban Tang x Shivworks Clinch Pick (Single Edge, G10 Handle) (https://www.illumn.com/ban-tang-knives/ban-tang-x-shivworks-clinch-pick-single-edge-g10-handle.html).

They also have some other Ban Tang knives: https://www.illumn.com/ban-tang-knives.html

Jaykayyy
08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

I had wanted one for a while, and finally ordered one. My initial impression was that it was a bit smaller than I would have liked, and I wasn't as excited as I normally am for a new blade... but since carrying it for a week the knife disappears on the belt and feels very natural. It is such a purpose-built knife and I love it. The quality of is top notch and the convex edge is very nice and quite sharp.

I would definitely recommend them, and am tempted to order the double-edge version that showed up in stock since.

Joel

Totem Polar
08-17-2018, 12:06 PM
I would definitely recommend them, and am tempted to order the double-edge version that showed up in stock since.

This. The CPis the j-frame of knives, and the BT versions are like a 642 worked over by Gemini customs.

Extremely sharp and functional art tools that are compact enough to go with you *everywhere*. My BT CP is the one knife I’ll never sell... unless I get one of these new ones and like it more. :)

That DE with the flat grips looks like the ticket...

Wondering Beard
08-17-2018, 12:43 PM

I should be able to tell you sometime next week :-)

Willard
09-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Never done business with them, hopefully a good company. Just ordered a dual edged model based on this thread. It said 9 available and 9 still available. Hopefully there are some in stock...

Clusterfrack
09-10-2018, 10:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/edd1328b4469fb5fb7b753fdb7b602bc.jpg

Excellent knife.

Wondering Beard
09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Never done business with them, hopefully a good company. Just ordered a dual edged model based on this thread. It said 9 available and 9 still available. Hopefully there are some in stock...

I've bought easily near a dozen of knives from them. Never had a problem.

Mark D
09-11-2018, 01:24 PM
For what it's worth, Ban Tang is a person, and a heck of nice one. I met him at a Shivworks EWO class. It wasn't his first class, and Craig spoke very highly of him and his knives.

One of my favorite memories from that class was drilling with Ban. Although the drill was about working to a position of advantage while standing up, Ban and I ended up on the floor and Craig let us continue working. It was a fun little exchange. I was glad to have about 50lbs on him. Even with the weight advantage I didn't dominate.

GhastlyTT
09-14-2018, 01:08 AM
Anyone know if the sheath comes with a belt attachment? Site says it's predrilled for but doesn't say if it's included. Thanks!

Jay585
09-14-2018, 05:27 AM
Anyone know if the sheath comes with a belt attachment? Site says it's predrilled for but doesn't say if it's included. Thanks!

None of the knives I've ordered ever came with one.

Wondering Beard
09-14-2018, 09:33 AM

Ban only ships the knife with the sheath, no attachments. Through Illum, it's the same.

GhastlyTT
09-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

Willard
09-15-2018, 04:27 PM
My dual edge arrived today. Fast shipping. What are folks doing for a sheath? Not sure if I need another sheath or there is an attachment I can affix to the factory sleeve for belt wear. Thanks.

EPF
09-26-2018, 03:16 PM
My dual edge arrived today. Fast shipping. What are folks doing for a sheath? Not sure if I need another sheath or there is an attachment I can affix to the factory sleeve for belt wear. Thanks.

You can attach a snap loop style belt attachment to the existing sheath, like comes with the China CP sheaths. But I’m a bit picky about sheaths so mine will go to Dark Star Gear for a standard horizontal sheath and one of their excellent vertical clip sheaths.

Otaku.edc
12-12-2018, 08:53 PM
The new stippled (?) grip is super nice and functional. Thanks for the heads up about their availablity, was able to order a DE. Likely will part ways with my SE and UGI, making this my EDC blade.

feudist
12-12-2018, 10:58 PM
The new stippled (?) grip is super nice and functional. Thanks for the heads up about their availablity, was able to order a DE. Likely will part ways with my SE and UGI, making this my EDC blade.

That UGI would make an excellent Christmas present.

I'll PM my address.

Otaku.edc
12-14-2018, 10:39 AM
This. The CPis the j-frame of knives, and the BT versions are like a 642 worked over by Gemini customs.

Extremely sharp and functional art tools that are compact enough to go with you *everywhere*. My BT CP is the one knife I’ll never sell... unless I get one of these new ones and like it more. :)

I read your post and wondered what Gemini Customs was.....wow.

Totem Polar
12-14-2018, 11:28 AM
I read your post and wondered what Gemini Customs was.....wow.

Right? Marc can sure work over a Ruger SP101...

RevolverRob
12-14-2018, 07:44 PM

SE Ban?

PM Me when you get ready to part with it. I need a SE Ban in my collection. And the UGI is Feudist decides to pass on it for some reason. ;)

Crusader8207
12-15-2018, 12:04 AM
SE Ban?

PM Me when you get ready to part with it. I need a SE Ban in my collection. And the UGI is Feudist decides to pass on it for some reason. ;)

Message sent. I have one that I can part with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering Beard
04-09-2019, 12:34 PM
For those interested, Ban has a few new pieces at the illumn (https://www.illumn.com/ban-tang-knives.html) site and on his own website (https://www.bantangknives.com/products), including a much pointier, seam remover, CP, as well as different flavors of SAFs.