PDA

View Full Version : French Adopt Aimpoint COMP M5 For HK416 F Rifle

HCM
07-25-2018, 11:33 PM
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/07/21/french-military-adopts-aimpoint-comp-m5-for-hk416-f-rifle/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

French Military Adopts Aimpoint COMP M5 For HK416 F Rifle

The contract covers the supply of up to 120,000 CompM5 sights over a period of six years. The CompM5 sight is the latest offering of the originator and worldwide leader in reflex sighting technology Aimpoint AB. Compact, lightweight and rugged, it will further increase the capabilities of the French soldier equipped with the new HK416 F.

First large military contract for the Comp M5 I’m aware of. Interesting they went with a micro type instead of a 30mm Aimpoint.

Dave J
07-26-2018, 01:00 AM
FWIW, the French Army already has micro Aimpoints in mainstream service, so I don’t find it too surprising they stayed with that family. The infantry version of the FAMAS now has the carry handle machined down into a pic rail, and the T-1 seemed to the most common optic, at least among the units I‘ve seen.

TGS
07-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Interesting they went with a micro type instead of a 30mm Aimpoint.

Asking out of ignorance....

Why? Is the 30mm body the norm for military use due to some sort of feature or compatibility?

I'm curious if the use of alkaline batteries played a role in their decision. It's hard to source lithium cells overseas, and the French are playing in lots of places where they have small and/or strained logistical routes. That's the reason my agency adopted the CompM5, as well as a AA/AAA versions of pretty much everything we can.

CS Tactical
07-26-2018, 06:14 PM
I'm a fan of the Comp M5 but wouldn't turn down the T-2 or even the H-2 myself :cool:

HCM
07-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Why? Is the 30mm body the norm for military use due to some sort of feature or compatibility?

I'm curious if the use of alkaline batteries played a role in their decision. It's hard to source lithium cells overseas, and the French are playing in lots of places where they have small and/or strained logistical routes. That's the reason my agency adopted the CompM5, as well as a AA/AAA versions of pretty much everything we can.

The 30mm have been the standard for most military issue. The micros have been making some inroads though. SOCOM approved the T2 and it has become the standard issue for the Ranger regiment.

farscott
07-26-2018, 06:59 PM

This might be a dumb question, but are lithium cells hard to source overseas or are specialty cell sizes like CR123A or 16650 hard to source? The reason I ask is I avoid alkaline batteries due to the higher likelihood of a corrosive leak, but I know that one needs transport approvals like UN 38.3 for cells and batteries tested to IEC 60086 to transport lithium batteries due to safety issues.

I stockpile Lithium primary AA, AAA, CR123A, and 9V batteries for my family, so I can imagine the logistical nightmare for an agency operating all over the world.

TGS
07-26-2018, 07:11 PM
This might be a dumb question, but are lithium cells hard to source overseas or are specialty cell sizes like CR123A or 16650 hard to source? The reason I ask is I avoid alkaline batteries due to the higher likelihood of a corrosive leak, but I know that one needs transport approvals like UN 38.3 for cells and batteries tested to IEC 60086 to transport lithium batteries due to safety issues.

I stockpile Lithium primary AA, AAA, CR123A, and 9V batteries for my family, so I can imagine the logistical nightmare for an agency operating all over the world.

Yep and yep.

:)

There's also trouble shipping/travelling with stocks of them overseas, ourselves. Whereas with the AA/AAA, you can use alkaline if needed and then use lithium AA/AAA when available for the greater output/burn time.

HCM
07-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Hard to source and travel with. Plus if you can find them in the third world they tend to be cheap knockoffs which have a tendency to spontaneously explode or burst into flames.

navyman8903
07-27-2018, 07:03 AM
I think that will be a nice pairing especially for the 416. The battery option is also smart especially with the lithium thing overseas. Europe is funny like that for sure. I haven't tried to find a 123 battery overseas. When I was over there I couldn't bring my nice stuff over and the two stations I worked for had 123's on hand for our surefires. But supply had to order them to the base.

I'm going to put one on my wife's patrol rifle if they approve it for that reason. She can always stop and get a battery if it burns out. Not that CR123's are hard to find in the states, but the AAA setup is very convenient. I'm also gonna throw one on an LWRC DI to run a light weight setup if we like it on her rifle.

VT1032
07-27-2018, 07:32 AM
SOCOM approved the T2 and it has become the standard issue for the Ranger regiment.

They run a bunch of stuff in reality. My brother is with 2/75 out at Lewis and he is still running one of the older AA battery EOTechs of all things. I've tried explaining why it's a shit optic, but he swears by the thing. They've got those, the newer eotechs, the micro aimpoints and the elcan specters mostly, with some acogs mixed in. His platoon got issued optics ready G19 Gen 4's with MRDS's before their most recent deployment too, which I thought was cool.

I've got no personal experience with the Comp M5 but I don't see why it won't serve them well. I've had a comp M4 as both a personal and an issued optic and both were absolutely bulletproof. I never used them in extreme heat, but I have used them in constant exposure to very cold or wet temperatures for weeks with zero issues. I have an issued acog now and like it quite a bit because I have an astigmatism and it doesn't bloom, but the aimpoints were really solid optics.

navyman8903
07-27-2018, 07:36 AM
They run a bunch of stuff in reality. My brother is with 2/75 out at Lewis and he is still running one of the older AA battery EOTechs of all things. I've tried explaining why it's a shit optic, but he swears by the thing. They've got those, the newer eotechs, the micro aimpoints and the elcan specters mostly, with some acogs mixed in. His platoon got issued optics ready G19 Gen 4's with MRDS's before their most recent deployment too, which I thought was cool.

I've got no personal experience with the Comp M5 but I don't see why it won't serve them well. I've had a comp M4 as both a personal and an issued optic and both were absolutely bulletproof. I never used them in extreme heat, but I have used them in constant exposure to very cold or wet temperatures for weeks with zero issues. I have an issued acog now and like it quite a bit because I have an astigmatism and it doesn't bloom, but the aimpoints were really solid optics.

I've also had excellent experience with the Comp M4's. We had them on issue rifles for the Reaction force and at Fort Worth. Great optic, very durable and easy to use.

Wayne Dobbs
07-27-2018, 08:12 AM
The CompM5 checks lots of boxes in the RDS world and is clearly the top of the Aimpoint line. It's overbuilt like the CompM4 (M68 CCO), uses common batteries, will take a 45 knot water impact on the front lens surface, has a five year battery life and uses commonly available Micro mounting solutions. It's pricey, but when you look at the performance, longevity and durability, then informed users can tell they're getting solid value.

I do tell folks to use quality American brand lithium batteries in Aimpoints if at all possible. Using poor or questionable quality batteries can and will lead to damaging or ruining the sight.

Also, with regard to astigmatism and Aimpoints: the second generation Micros (H-2 and T-2) along with the CompM5 have optics packages that have eliminated dot distortion for most of the population with astigmatism issues.

HCM
07-27-2018, 11:05 AM

They’ve always run a bunch of stuff. The SOCOM Eo Tech (the SU 231 / EO553) was officially replaced with the T 2 as a baseline but even when the EO was issued you had guys running Aimpoint s and ACOGs.

IME the sideways batter EO’s are much more reliable and have longer battery life than the old dual battery models. If you have regular access to batteries and replacement sights and you might need to shoot under NVG without a laser the EO can work.

SOCOM adopted the G19 MOS as the MK 26 or 27. Do you know what MRDS they are running ?

VT1032
07-27-2018, 11:55 AM
They’ve always run a bunch of stuff. The SOCOM Eo Tech (the SU 231 / EO553) was officially replaced with the T 2 as a baseline but even when the EO was issued you had guys running Aimpoint s and ACOGs.

IME the sideways batter EO’s are much more reliable and have longer battery life than the old dual battery models. If you have regular access to batteries and replacement sights and you might need to shoot under NVG without a laser the EO can work.

SOCOM adopted the G19 MOS as the MK 26 or 27. Do you know what MRDS they are running ?

He didn't say, but I saw it in one of his instadouche photos and it looked like an RMR. I couldn't tell you much more then that as I didn't get a good look and don't know much about mrds's to begin with.

TGS
07-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Also, with regard to astigmatism and Aimpoints: the second generation Micros (H-2 and T-2) along with the CompM5 have optics packages that have eliminated dot distortion for most of the population with astigmatism issues.

No shit. I have astigmatism.

I thought I was going insane when I was thinking our CompM5s have a clearer dot than other RDSs, at least when adjusted down to a non-retina-burning level of brightness. I love that optic. Previously we used a mix of iron sights, EoTechs, and ACOGs.

Wayne Dobbs
07-27-2018, 01:22 PM
No shit. I have astigmatism.

I thought I was going insane when I was thinking our CompM5s have a clearer dot than other RDSs, at least when adjusted down to a non-retina-burning level of brightness. I love that optic. Previously we used a mix of iron sights, EoTechs, and ACOGs.

The second gen Micros and the CompM5 have pretty much eliminated dot distortion for the overwhelming number of folks with astigmatic eyes (including mine). Glad you like the M5...I think it's a real game changer.

WobblyPossum
07-27-2018, 01:41 PM
As someone with astigmatism, my interest in the T/H-2 series and the Comp M5 is suddenly piqued. I've had mixed results with the Aimpoint Comp M2, the Aimpoint PRO, the Trijicon MRO, and the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. Some are better than others outdoors. Indoors, none of them are perfect circles regardless of how low I adjust the brightness, even when looking through iron sights which does decrease how misshapen the dots are. How would you describe the improvement from the second gen Micros and the Comp M5 Wayne Dobbs?

Wayne Dobbs
07-27-2018, 01:53 PM
As someone with astigmatism, my interest in the T/H-2 series and the Comp M5 is suddenly piqued. I've had mixed results with the Aimpoint Comp M2, the Aimpoint PRO, the Trijicon MRO, and the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. Some are better than others outdoors. Indoors, none of them are perfect circles regardless of how low I adjust the brightness, even when looking through iron sights which does decrease how misshapen the dots are. How would you describe the improvement from the second gen Micros and the Comp M5 Wayne Dobbs?

I find the -2 Micros to be a significant step up in dot clarity and that's due to a new optics package to address dot distortion for some folks, especially when using magnifiers. I still use the -1 Micros all the time and don't pay attention to the bit of dot change that I see with them. They are still outstanding sights and will continue to provide great service for some time. But, if you pin me down on what Micro to get, I'll tell you the T-2. If money isn't an issue, get a CompM5.

When money is an issue, think about performance, quality and service life vs initial expense. For instance, you can easily get 10 years of service life from any Aimpoint. Divide the cost of whatever Aimpoint by 10 and see what it costs you per year. When you do that, you should notice that you may be passing up what you really want for $30-40 per year of service life. As Pat Rogers used to say, "buy cheap, cry twice".

CS Tactical
07-27-2018, 04:30 PM
The CompM5 checks lots of boxes in the RDS world and is clearly the top of the Aimpoint line. It's overbuilt like the CompM4 (M68 CCO), uses common batteries, will take a 45 knot water impact on the front lens surface, has a five year battery life and uses commonly available Micro mounting solutions. It's pricey, but when you look at the performance, longevity and durability, then informed users can tell they're getting solid value.

I do tell folks to use quality American brand lithium batteries in Aimpoints if at all possible. Using poor or questionable quality batteries can and will lead to damaging or ruining the sight.

With my astigmatism, the distortion is much less with the -2's and the Comp M5 compared to the older models.

KeeFus
07-27-2018, 06:04 PM
With my astigmatism, the distortion is much less with the -2's and the Comp M5 compared to the older models.

My PRO red dot looks bad no matter the power...looks like a comma. On my Comp M5 I just dial it down a bit and it mostly disappears.