PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Fitness GPS

BCG
07-22-2018, 11:10 AM
I am looking for a new fitness GPS, since my Garmin Forerunner 305 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/349) died. I'd simply replace it with another FR305, but that model has been discontinued.

28278 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/349)

With the FR305, I used the Garmin Training Center application to download the information from the GPS unit onto my computer. Training Center may have lacked a lot of bells and whistles, but it did what I needed it to do.

One feature I am looking for is support for applications that store the information on my computer, rather than in "the cloud".

Unfortunately, Garmin has discontinued Training Center in favor of its on-line application, Garmin Connect:

Benefits of switching from Garmin Training Center to Garmin Connect (https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=M0C0HsoEEKA6Ki62kpXPM7)

Training Center development has been discontinued for MAC and Windows as Garmin continues to focus on its unrivaled successor, Garmin Connect. (https://connect.garmin.com/)

Garmin Connect offers many new, unparalleled features:

Many of their "features" are exactly what I do not want.

This past January a university student discovered that a global public fitness tracker map could be used to discern highly sensitive security information about the locations and movements of military, intelligence and other government personnel near highly security sensitive facilities. The source? The fitness trackers that have exploded in popularity and that many militaries actually even encourage their soldiers to wear, inadvertently broadcasting their classified locations and patterns of life to the public. Diving deeper, that same map and others like it can be used to retrieve the actual real-world names of individuals that can be tied back to their LinkedIn and Facebook accounts and even used to identify their home address by looking at where their jogging runs begin and end.

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2018/07/20/mapping-spies-through-fitness-trackers-and-phones-privacy-is-dead-even-for-those-in-the-shadows/

I'm not a secret squirrel, and if somebody wants to find me it wouldn't be difficult at all. But I feel no need to leak more information than necessary by putting GPS tracks of my runs and bike rides from and to my house on the internet.

So, does anybody know of a fitness GPS, or an application that works with fitness GPS units, that download the recorded data onto a local computer, rather than to an on-line site?

Thanks.

mtnbkr
07-22-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm not aware of one.

That said, at least with Garmin Connect, you can control what is seen publicly. As far as I know, even then, what you share is only visible to your "connections" unless you send someone a link to a specific activity ("Hey look at how I crushed this run!"). I just checked one of my activities and you can also set per-activity security settings.

Where most people seem to get into trouble is with activity brag sites like Strava. You CAN see total strangers' activities (called flybys when their activity coincides with yours). Stay away from Strava and configure Garmin Connect to share very little by default and you should be ok. Don't forget to take off the activity tracker when you're doing anything remotely sensitive.

FWIW, I've had the Garmin VivoSmart since it first hit the market. I'm lukewarm over it. Battery life is terrible and it can be good one day, then burn through the battery the next even if you're just wearing it like a watch. I've started power it down between activities unless it's sitting on a charger. Speaking of the charger, it's a stupid cradle design. The display sucks too. The one good thing about it is how it integrates with a number of accessories. I have the heart rate monitor (chest strap), speed sensor for my bike, step monitor for treadmill running (running on a treadmill without it requires your arm to move consistently), and a temp sensor (least useful of the bunch, don't bother). It does gather a ton of info that can be useful from a training perspective.

Chris

DallasBronco
07-23-2018, 12:23 PM
I've had a TomTom Multisport for several years and really like it. The battery life is excellent, seems to sync up to GPS much quicker than my old Garmin, and the support software gives useful metrics.

secondstoryguy
07-23-2018, 12:42 PM
I’ve been using a Garmin Fenix 5x for the last 6 months and have been very pleased with both it and the Garmin software. I’ve been stepping up my fitness lately and the Garmin stuff is pretty user friendly. The Fenix 5x heart rate and GPS features work really well m and it has enough add on widgets/apps to fit most needs.

jetfire
07-24-2018, 12:17 PM
If you’re on the Apple train, which I 100% am (he said typing this on his iPad while checking his iphone for sweet memes), then I heartily recommend the Apple Watch. It’s...pretty dope so far.

JAD
07-24-2018, 12:41 PM
If you’re on the Apple train, which I 100% am (he said typing this on his iPad while checking his iphone for sweet memes), then I heartily recommend the Apple Watch. It’s...pretty dope so far.
-- Full concur. I do not share the OP's persec concern; I'm sure that shit's up there on the cloud. However, I do trust Apple more than say Garmin or FitBit to protect that information -- Apple is as good as the big boys get about security.

TDA
07-26-2018, 09:49 PM
I am a Garmin, um, user but not necessarily a fan. If you really want to dive down the gear review rabbit hole on this, I’d point you to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ which is pretty exhaustive.

txdpd
07-27-2018, 10:47 AM
What’s wrong with your 305? They have problems with sweat/salt intrusion, that can be remedied with a good cleaning. An iPod battery can be installed if you need a new one. Mine was fixed up at a local phone store for $70.

Duke
07-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Rolex/Patek guy here...

There are no benefits to an apple “watch”.

That is all......

Also I don’t need GPS to tell me I smoked a kettlebell, deadlift or pull up session.

Maybe I’m just an old fart.

mtnbkr
07-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Rolex/Patek guy here...

There are no benefits to an apple “watch”.

That is all......

Also I don’t need GPS to tell me I smoked a kettlebell, deadlift or pull up session.

Maybe I’m just an old fart.

Nice humble brag! Shessh, as if a Rolex or Patek is at all related to the intent of the OP. :rolleyes:

Let's see your Rolex/Patek track your pace over a 5k or 10k (or longer), track and record your heart rate, record temps during your activity, calculate elevation changes, alert you when you're going over or below your pace goals, then compare that to previous efforts.

Chris

Rick62
07-27-2018, 12:58 PM
Nice humble brag! Shessh, as if a Rolex or Patek is at all related to the intent of the OP. :rolleyes:

Let's see your Rolex/Patek track your pace over a 5k or 10k (or longer), track and record your heart rate, record temps during your activity, calculate elevation changes, alert you when you're going over or below your pace goals, then compare that to previous efforts.

Chris

Like a shot timer. Hard to see the utility it one and not the other...

mtnbkr
07-27-2018, 02:28 PM
He was just responding to my mostly off-topic, but slightly related, query regarding what a "watch person" does when it comes to a smart watch. I see the utility, I just have a hard time giving up the "real" watch for reasons that aren't particularly rational. I was just curious how others handled the transition as it's something I've wondered about for a couple of years. I should have started a new thread instead of derailing this one.

The mods here are shit.

oh. crap. I totally misread the intent of what Duke was posting. :(

It struck me as one of those "why do I need your specialized kit when my uber-high-end general purpose device can be pressed into service" posts you see on enthusiast sites.

As a watch person, I don't *like* wearing my fitness watch, but tolerate it for runs, bike rides, and such. I also wear it to the gym, but mainly because it's semi-disposable in that if I smack it against a piece of equipment, I won't care. It's exercise kit, not a watch. Any other time, I'm wearing an analog watch of some sort (except when hunting, camping, or doing manual labor, then it's my G-Shock).

Chris

Erik
07-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Do Apple (or other “smart”) watch wearers just give up the big boy watch in order to reap the benefits of a smart watch? Or do you not wear either full time and switch out as required?

I have a Garmin Fenix 3, which I'd call a smart-ish watch. I got the metal bracelet and use a watch face that presents as an analog watch with a sweep second hand. To me at least, it looks and wears like a real watch rather than a smart device. It doesn't scratch that itch the way my Omega does, but it's got a lot more functionality and I don't feel like a dope wearing it with whatever, including a suit on those increasingly rare occasions when one is necessary. Black tie still gets the Omega though.

BCG
07-27-2018, 09:45 PM
FYI: Reading through the Garmin forums, it turns out I'm not the only one who doesn't want to keep my fitness GPS data on-line:

[Standalone] Alternatives to Garmin Connect
12-23-2016, 09:45 AM

First, let me be the millionth Garmin user who states his dislike for (a) sharing my private workout (and in part health!) history over the Web through Garmin Connect, and (b) the convoluted, maze of an interface this app makes you hunt through.

With that out of the way, does anyone know of alternative, third-party software that lets me track my fitness/health data in the privacy of my own computer, thank you?
source: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/garmin-connect-mobile-application/147649-standalone-alternatives-to-garmin-connect

Folks responding in that short thread suggested SportTracks (https://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/support/updates.php) and GoldenCheetah (https://www.goldencheetah.org/) ("available for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows").

PS - Someobdy in another Garmin thread (https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-500/18117-alternatives-to-training-center) recommended "Ascent and RubiTracks, and I like them both. However, they are only for Macs. For Windows, I've heard good things about SportTracks and TrainingPeaks".

jc000
07-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I just (this month) picked up a forerunner 935 which is basically the Fenix in a plastic case. The primary uses was as a beater watch, activity tracker, and bike computer. I was evaluating this model between the Fenix 5X and a couple Suunto offerings.

I had a first gen forerunner (long ago) and then a Garmin 60CX. Having resisted any new smart watch tech in the past few years, I find that the 935 does well beyond what I’d ever need it to do without seeming crazily complicated. I did pick up the speed / cadence sensors for my bike, and plan on getting a HRM strap at some point to track some of my other workouts.

As someone who is coming from old tech to new, I would definitely endorse this watch. It does what I wanted it to do without being super annoying to use / navigate. I started to go into analysis paralysis reading up on all my options, finally just said “screw it” and bought something. It’s only been a few weeks but no regrets so far.

Garmin Connect is totally fine for me, no issues there. I’m not into sharing myself.

JAD
07-28-2018, 10:56 AM
I wear my Apple Watch some days and my mechanicals others. I wear my AW when I exercise and my Cartier to parties.

I also own more than one pair of shoes.

I’ve never smoked a kettlebell but what a man does in the privacy of his own home is his business.

TDA
07-28-2018, 03:19 PM
He was just responding to my mostly off-topic, but slightly related, query regarding what a "watch person" does when it comes to a smart watch. I see the utility, I just have a hard time giving up the "real" watch for reasons that aren't particularly rational. I was just curious how others handled the transition as it's something I've wondered about for a couple of years. I should have started a new thread instead of derailing this one.

The mods here are shit.

My Vivoactive3 is the first one that I’ve had that I wear most of the time, mostly for dumb reasons (I already know I should get more sleep, but now I’m quantifying it!) All my other Garmins and even my old Timex Speed & Distance were just running watches. Realtime wrist worn heart rate monitoring capability has me fascinated, but it’s probably a phase. If you’re training for a big race with a coach and you want to push your workout data from Garmin Connect to Training Peaks for them to review, this is a good way to do it. Otherwise I do prefer an analog watch- for instance I regard bluetooth notifications on my watch while I’m driving as attempts on my life.

jetfire
07-29-2018, 02:14 PM
I find the Apple Watch appealing. However, I’m also one of those anachronistic old farts that likes wearing a mechanical watch. I currently wear a watch on the left wrist and an old Garmin Vivofit on the right.

If I switch to an Apple watch, I don’t think I could pull off wearing it along with a “real” watch. Do Apple (or other “smart”) watch wearers just give up the big boy watch in order to reap the benefits of a smart watch? Or do you not wear either full time and switch out as required?

I don’t wear it full time, to be honest. I primarily wear a “real” watch and mostly wear the Apple Watch when I’m working out to monitor heart rate and stuff like that. I’ve also found it to be very useful when traveling since I can use it to display mobile boarding passes.