PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting a CZ Shadow 2

Up1911Fan
07-21-2018, 06:38 PM
So I have the urge for a new gun. I also plan on starting to shoot USPSA. I really like the Shadow 2 after handling one. I know there's an old thread, just wondering if anyone is shooting/competing with one? Thoughts?

pastaslinger
07-21-2018, 06:57 PM
So I have the urge for a new gun. I also plan on starting to shoot USPSA. I really like the Shadow 2 after handling one. I know there's an old thread, just wondering if anyone is shooting/competing with one? Thoughts?

They're really popular at matches

spinmove_
07-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Paging Clusterfrack

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

GJM
07-21-2018, 08:48 PM
I have two, that I bought new this spring. Both are a delight to shoot. The Shadow 2 is too heavy for USPSA CO without having metal removed, like by CZ Custom. Both of mine were unreliable and required a 3-4 week return visit to CZ USA for repairs.

EricP
07-21-2018, 09:02 PM
I bought one to shoot USPSA and 3-Gun. I had been shooting a G-19 in those same games. It’s awesome. The da/sa transition hasn’t been a problem. It is astonishingly accurate. It weighs a ton.

I set it up pretty much the way Clusterfrack mentioned in that older thread; 13# hammer spring, 11.5# recoil, extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring. Nothing has been polished and I don’t feel like it needs to be. It sets off CCI, Winchester, and Magtech primers without any problems.

Up1911Fan
07-21-2018, 09:10 PM
I have two, that I bought new this spring. Both are a delight to shoot. The Shadow 2 is too heavy for USPSA CO without having metal removed, like by CZ Custom. Both of mine were unreliable and required a 3-4 week return visit to CZ USA for repairs.

The base guns were unreliable or after milling for CO?

GJM
07-21-2018, 09:17 PM
The base guns were unreliable or after milling for CO?

Both pistols were unreliable new out of the box. I got one and loved it, but it was unreliable, and CZ USA said six weeks for repair. So I got a second, for while I was waiting, and darned the second one was also unreliable, same problem as the first. The good news is CZ turned each pistol in just over three weeks.

pastaslinger
07-21-2018, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised that you had problems, I've only heard and seen good things. I sort of expected some level of decreased reliability with the shadow 2 versus other guns so personally skipped on it.

YVK
07-21-2018, 11:44 PM
Shadow 2s are generally good to go. Cheby, Clusterfrack, myself and others mentioned and not mentioned in this thread have run them pretty problem free. Some of us have earlier versions that have had frame failures happen, and Cheby did get one of those instances happen. I am slightly over 10K on mine, so far so good. GJM has a couple of newer frames that gave him problems; then again, GJM has been a shit magnet as it comes to problematic CZs lately...

Personally, I don't love the gun but I do like it. I do think it would've been a better gun with a lighter front end and less heavy nose balance. I've not shot anything that shoots one static target better but I still struggle stopping that mass on a spot during transitions. Getting a second slide lightened for CO, will see how that goes.

cheby
07-21-2018, 11:47 PM
I have 3 shadow 2s. Over 50k through. Never had any single malfunction. My first gun was the earlier production. The block that holds the slide stop broke after 36k rds. CZ modified the block about a year ago. They replaced my first gun in three weeks under the warranty. In my opinion it's the best Production gun these days. It's heavy which is actually great. You do have to address the weight practicing transitions and gun handling in general.

cheby
07-21-2018, 11:52 PM
Both pistols were unreliable new out of the box. I got one and loved it, but it was unreliable, and CZ USA said six weeks for repair. So I got a second, for while I was waiting, and darned the second one was also unreliable, same problem as the first. The good news is CZ turned each pistol in just over three weeks.
Do you know what was the reason for the problems? What exactly did they have to fix?

Bucky
07-22-2018, 05:24 AM
I picked one up on a whim, and am really pleased how it shoots. Shot a few matches, and feel I bettered my performance over my Glock 34. Got side tracked, went back to Limited, the open, back to Limited, a little revolver here and there. Um, what was I saying?

GJM
07-22-2018, 05:59 AM
Do you know what was the reason for the problems? What exactly did they have to fix?

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/262005-new-shadow-2-stoppages/

CZ has been very nice to deal with. When I call, I get a live person quickly, and they have paid shipping without even me asking them. The first of my two pistols is on the way back from CZ after repair, with the following note on the email advising me the pistol is being shipped:

Work Performed: Polished extractor and adjusted slide stop. Test fired good with 115 gr S&B FMJ using all 3 magazines.