PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 questions

awp_101
07-21-2018, 03:17 PM
So I've recently been bit pretty hard by the Beretta 92 bug Picked up a 2 tone compact last week, I'm meeting a local member tomorrow to buy his all black compact and I've got a few questions.

First up and most important, what is a pizza gun? Is it specifically a Beretta or any Italian handgun in general (Tanfoglio, etc?) If there's one thing my OCD needs, it's proper nomenclature.

What is a pepperoni rear sight? I saw it mentioned in the Beretta thread in the Gallery but never saw an explanation or picture of the what it might mean.

I'm a sucker for compact pistols. Any chance we'll ever see an LTT Compact?:D

More questions as they come to me...

Thanks!

spinmove_
07-21-2018, 03:49 PM
This is the Pepperoni rear sight. Designed by none other than our own Les Pepperoni.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/Wilson-Combat-Battlesight-Flat-Square-Notch-Serrated-Blade-270-Beretta-92FS_96FS/productinfo/630SQ%2DS/

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Bigghoss
07-21-2018, 04:21 PM
So I've recently been bit pretty hard by the Beretta 92 bug...

As evidenced by all the post likes I got from you on stuff I posted in the Beretta picture thread. :D

First up and most important, what is a pizza gun? Is it specifically a Beretta or any Italian handgun in general (Tanfoglio, etc?) If there's one thing my OCD needs, it's proper nomenclature.

I've always leaned toward it meaning Berettas but it's not like it's in the dictionary so if you want it to mean Itiallian guns in general I'm not gonna argue.

awp_101
07-21-2018, 07:10 PM
This is the Pepperoni rear sight. Designed by none other than our own Les Pepperoni.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/Wilson-Combat-Battlesight-Flat-Square-Notch-Serrated-Blade-270-Beretta-92FS_96FS/productinfo/630SQ%2DS/

Aha, thanks! It looks like Wilson has a $100 minimum for work orders and since the front sight can't be replaced with a dovetail I was looking at having the Inox slide drilled for fiber optic. This would make up the balance of the minimum.

As evidenced by all the post likes I got from you on stuff I posted in the Beretta picture thread. :D
Ha! I hit a bunch of likes in that thread. I was afraid someone was going to think I was trolling/stalking them! :D I'm trying hard to resist picking up a D model just because. Easier to resist until the fun fund replenishes.

I've always leaned toward it meaning Berettas but it's not like it's in the dictionary so if you want it to mean Itiallian guns in general I'm not gonna argue.
I like the idea of it being exclusive to Beretta. Maybe Tanfoglios can be stromboli guns. And if Berettas are pizza guns, does that make a PT-92 a picanha gun?

Bigghoss
07-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Aha, thanks! It looks like Wilson has a $100 minimum for work orders and since the front sight can't be replaced with a dovetail I was looking at having the Inox slide drilled for fiber optic. This would make up the balance of the minimum.

Ha! I hit a bunch of likes in that thread. I was afraid someone was going to think I was trolling/stalking them! :D I'm trying hard to resist picking up a D model just because. Easier to resist until the fun fund replenishes.

I like the idea of it being exclusive to Beretta. Maybe Tanfoglios can be stromboli guns. And if Berettas are pizza guns, does that make a PT-92 a picanha gun?

I didn't get to shoot my 92D yet. A 92D Centurion I bought off gunbroker just showed up a day early at my LGS but I'm working OT so I won't be able to pick it up until Monday anyway. I have to get my trucks fixed up so it'll be my last gun for a long time unless someone wants to give me the deal of a lifetime or I win the lottery or something.

And the PT92 is just a POS. Nothing more.

45dotACP
07-21-2018, 07:16 PM
And if Berettas are pizza guns, does that make a PT-92 a picanha gun?

Sure isn't a Fogo de Chao filet ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GardoneVT
07-21-2018, 08:48 PM
And the PT92 is just a POS. Nothing more.

Let’s give credit where credit is due. While Taurus is the leading provider of gun shaped paperweights , the PT-92 is an exception. Sure it has the build quality of a week old pizza box, but it will usually go bang when needed . It offers Americans a functional and brand new option when other pistols are beyond their budget.

Bigghoss
07-22-2018, 12:08 AM
Sure it has the build quality of a week old pizza box, but it will usually go bang when needed . It offers Americans a functional and brand new option when other pistols are beyond their budget.

I don't believe that the PT92 is any better than anything else they make. But this isn't a Taurus thread so let us get back to discussing our beloved blasters colloquially nicknamed after our most beloved of foods lest we derail this thread any further.

awp_101
07-22-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't believe that the PT92 is any better than anything else they make. But this isn't a Taurus thread so let us get back to discussing our beloved blasters colloquially nicknamed after our most beloved of foods lest we derail this thread any further.

As someone who has derailed many a thread in my time, all I can say is "All aboard!"
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/913/43522415112_72b0e50e0e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29iVKHs)

The PT-92 in question is from 1989 and seems to be one their better efforts regarding fit and finish. And the ONLY reason I have it is because it belonged to my Grandfather. I worked in a pawn shop in the mid-90s and that was one of the purchases he made. My hands wish Beretta had a frame mounted safety but such is life.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/916/43236235652_5cc6729c0e_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28SD1wQ)

HCM
07-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Taurus are crime scene guns.

TheNewbie
07-22-2018, 09:29 PM
I played with a 92 today. I just couldn't reach the safety in a consistent way. I'm not anti safety even on a TDA gun,but the 92 would have to be DAO or DA/SA for me.

The gun smith at the range told me installing a d spring was complicated. I thought it was supposed to be simple, at least from the videos I've seen.

awp_101
07-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Taurus are crime scene guns.

Unless there's an Phoenix/Bryco/Davis Industries laying around...

TheNewbie
07-22-2018, 09:32 PM

How can you trash talk those brands? Only good christian folk carry those, while on their way to bible studies at the local low rate motels.

ccmdfd
07-22-2018, 09:41 PM
The gun smith at the range told me installing a d spring was complicated. I thought it was supposed to be simple, at least from the videos I've seen.

Complicated?
Hardly, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined

HCM
07-22-2018, 09:42 PM

You forgot Jimenez Arms.

Bigghoss
07-22-2018, 11:03 PM

Either he misunderstood you or he shouldn't be working on guns. It's a matter of pushing out the pin that holds the spring seat and the spring comes out. Make sure to hold the spring seat or they'll come out pretty quick and go flying.

john c
07-23-2018, 02:02 AM
My hands wish Beretta had a frame mounted safety but such is life.

Beretta has made several models of SAO 92’s. The Combat, Stock, Billenium, Centennial, and one more that I forget. They’re not cheap, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigghoss
07-23-2018, 04:35 AM
Ive also seen a company that will take a provided 92D and convert it to SAO with a frame safety. Might be cool to get an M9A3 frame and put a D slide on it and have that done.

CraigS
07-23-2018, 06:23 AM
I played with a 92 today. I just couldn't reach the safety in a consistent way. I'm not anti safety even on a TDA gun,but the 92 would have to be DAO or DA/SA for me.

Here is a plan for you. A 14# hammer spring (slightly lighter than a D and still reliable), and a G kit (no more concern about reaching the safety since it is gone), both from Langdon Tactical.
https://www.langdontactical.com/products/beretta-92-96-series-parts-accessories/
If you want to spend a little more for the best 92 trigger available, also order a trigger job in a bag.

awp_101
08-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Now that I’ve had a chance to get both Compacts to the range, I’ve found I’d like to change the rear sight to change the POA/POI.

From 7yds to 15yds I have to use a 12 o’clock hold which covers the target which seems to be normal out to 25yds from what I’ve read. I’d prefer to use a 6 o’clock hold but I’m not sure if that’s possible. Would the Wilson .300” rear sight get me a 6 o’clock hold or at least a center hold instead of having to cover the target?

Sal Picante
08-09-2018, 02:30 PM
And if Berettas are pizza guns, does that make a PT-92 a picanha gun?

I wouldn't disrespect a fine piece of steak with that association!

:)

Sal Picante
08-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Are you shitting me?

I'm just going to put this frankly: Ditch that guy and loose his number. He's an idiot.

Sal Picante
08-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Now that I’ve had a chance to get both Compacts to the range, I’ve found I’d like to change the rear sight to change the POA/POI.

From 7yds to 15yds I have to use a 12 o’clock hold which covers the target which seems to be normal out to 25yds from what I’ve read. I’d prefer to use a 6 o’clock hold but I’m not sure if that’s possible. Would the Wilson .300” rear sight get me a 6 o’clock hold or at least a center hold instead of having to cover the target?

The compacts are tougher to regulate for some reason...

On a stock 92 - the .270" sight will give you a "drive the dot" picture.

For the compact, it don't know what is the correct height... the .270 might help, but not sure. They make a .290".

Taller rear sight move the group up, but I'm not sure if that'll get you to a 6'oclock hold.

awp_101
08-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks! I found THIS THREAD (https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/228992-poapoi-change-w-new-rear-sight/) over at Brian Enos’ forum but I thought I read somewhere else .270” was the standard height. Of course now I can’t find where I might have read that so I’ll drive on.

Wait, I just had a thought. And it didn’t even hurt very much! I’m away from my calipers for a bit, does anyone have a rough height for the front sight? Beretta Forum had the sight radius so it might be fun to plug the different numbers into the Dawson formula.

Edit 2: Wilson’s website is the one saying the standard replacement height is .270” on a standard 92/96: Wilson Combat Battlesight, Serrated Blade, .270" | Beretta 92FS/96FS (https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Battlesight-Serrated-Blade-270-Beretta-92FS_96FS/productinfo/630/)

Joe in PNG
08-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Are you shitting me?
I'm just going to put this frankly: Ditch that guy and loose his number. He's an idiot.

Wonder if he got the hammer spring and the Trigger Return Spring (TRS) mixed up. Replacing the TRS is a bit more complexicated, but not really all that bad (especially compared to an old Colt 1903).
Hammer spring? Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Heck, I detail stripped two 92 lowers yesterday to switch my D Centurion and FS Compact back to their original configs, and it was maybe about 15 minutes- including the time spent finding the TRS that flew away.

JonInWA
08-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Ive also seen a company that will take a provided 92D and convert it to SAO with a frame safety. Might be cool to get an M9A3 frame and put a D slide on it and have that done.

And that is a superb tangible definition of "sacrilege."

Best, Jon

GardoneVT
08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
And that is a superb tangible definition of "sacrilege."

Best, Jon

Hardly. Beretta themselves has always made SAO 92s , although rarely imports them to CONUS besides onenoff commemorative models. Converting a 92D is no more sacrilegious then changing versions on an HK pistol. ;)

JonInWA
08-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Hardly. Beretta themselves has always made SAO 92s , although rarely imports them to CONUS besides onenoff commemorative models. Converting a 92D is no more sacrilegious then changing versions on an HK pistol. ;)

Your cauldron of boiling oil is ready for your heretical thoughts about converting an innocent 92D, potentially precluded from joining a growing legion of appreciative, waiting owners....step on in, the water(oil) is fine....

Best, Jon

GardoneVT
08-10-2018, 12:51 AM
Your cauldron of boiling oil is ready for your heretical thoughts about converting an innocent 92D, potentially precluded from joining a growing legion of appreciative, waiting owners....step on in, the water(oil) is fine....

Best, Jon

“And it was said by the apostle Jeff Cooper, that trigger cocking was as a dog returning to its vomit. Whomsoever carryeth Condition One shall be saved”

Bucky
08-10-2018, 05:27 AM

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I did not know about this sight. I’m not a fan of U notch rears. Going to look into this for my 92G Wilson Compact.

Bucky
08-10-2018, 05:30 AM

I have short thumbs, and cannot reach the safety withany convention grips. I got rid of some nice Berettas because of this, moving to all G models. I wish they had come out with the G conversions a decade sooner.