PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of ammo

gesundheit
02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Background: I was at a range shooting with a few buddies. We shot from 3, 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards. I found that I kept with them upto 10 yards. After that my groups diverged to the left. I blamed myself for having bad trigger control. But when another guy complained about the same, we looked at our ammo. Another friend looked at our S B and said the ammo is inaccurate. He gave his Winchester to my friend and suddenly his groups became much tighter.

Question: How do you guys determine the accuracy of the ammo? And what ammo (in 9mm) is considered reasonably accurate?

TGS
02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
I've always found S&B to be accurate over the several thousand I've shot. Same with everyone I know.

Inaccurate would be Federal Champion, where I couldn't get it tighter than 5" at 5 yards, while shooting the next 2 mags of different ammo resulted in groups of less than 2".

Provided a correct sight picture, shots going left, and groups falling apart past 7 yards is more indicative of trigger control issues than ammo. Inaccurate ammo will group large, but it won't just magically shoot left or right.

IME.

gesundheit
02-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Thank you. I am going to keep an eye out for trigger control issues for myself. It is really hard to notice while shooting. I may have to come up with a helmet cam rig that records me shooting for analysis afterwards.

Al T.
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Get some dummy rounds and have your buddies load your magazines. If you have a flinch beginning, that's a good way to diagnose it.

Balancing a spent cartridge on your slide while dry firing is another method to teach yourself how to "successfully press the trigger in such a manner as to not disturb your sight picture".

:)

gesundheit
02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Get some dummy rounds and have your buddies load your magazines. If you have a flinch beginning, that's a good way to diagnose it.

Balancing a spent cartridge on your slide while dry firing is another method to teach yourself how to "successfully press the trigger in such a manner as to not disturb your sight picture".

I have tried dry firing with a live cartridge on the slide and it didn't slide off at trigger pull. I will try with spent cartridge as it might be more sensitive to little jerk at the end made by jerking the trigger.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Shouldn't that be on the front sight?

Al T.
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Oops, sorry counselor. Back in 1978 (or was it 1878?) the front sight of our 1911s (or 1973 Colt SSAs) didn't support that. :D

I do note that my Glocks, M&P40s and Kimber Pros make your suggestion a reality.

:p