PDA

View Full Version : More CZ questions -- slide auto-forwarding

Robinson
07-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Okay so I put a couple hundred rounds through a CZ 75B Omega today and discovered that it always auto-forwards when a fully loaded magazine is inserted after slide lock. I pretty much always shoot 147gr flat point ammo, and the gun always failed to load the first round into the chamber when it auto-forwarded. I bought a box of 115gr ammo at the counter, and while the gun still auto-forwarded it would load the first round into the chamber with that ammo.

So my questions: is it common for CZ 75 pistols to auto-forward when reloading from slide lock? Also, any idea why it is failing to load the first round into the chamber when using the 147gr ammo? I suppose the contour of the bullet might have something to do with it, but I'm not using anything out of the ordinary -- just American Eagle 147gr. The pistol chambers the first round just fine when racking the slide and releasing by hand.

Duke
07-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Vaguely I recall the shape of some bullets touching the slide stop early enough to send the slide forward without loading a round.

Buts it’s been a couple years since I had a 75

Robinson
07-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Vaguely I recall the shape of some bullets touching the slide stop early enough to send the slide forward without loading a round.

Buts it’s been a couple years since I had a 75

Hmm... makes me wonder if people are tending to use more tapered bullets -- which the 115 and 124 grain bullets typically are -- as opposed to flat point 147gr bullets in their CZs. As I stated, the slide auto-forwards even with the lighter bullets but it also loads the top round into the chamber. I could live with that, but I always shoot 147gr ammo.

cheby
07-24-2018, 01:38 PM
you should find more info here:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/250814-cz-accu-shadow-slide-auto-closing-during-emergency-reload/

Robinson
07-24-2018, 02:38 PM
you should find more info here:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/250814-cz-accu-shadow-slide-auto-closing-during-emergency-reload/

Thanks for the link. I actually already read that thread after doing a search. The difference is that my gun doesn't load the first round from the magazine into the chamber when loaded with my regular practice ammo, so I can't really view it as a "feature".

Clusterfrack
07-24-2018, 02:42 PM
My CZs have no problems with every factory ammo I’ve tried. However, reloaded ammo must be no longer than about 1.100” depending on bullet profile. Loads my Glock will feed do not chamber in my CZs.

None of my guns auto forward. Thankfully.

Robinson
07-24-2018, 03:02 PM
My CZs have no problems with every factory ammo I’ve tried. However, reloaded ammo must be no longer than about 1.100” depending on bullet profile. Loads my Glock will feed do not chamber in my CZs.

None of my guns auto forward. Thankfully.

Do you own/shoot metal-frame CZ pistols as well? Your comments make me wonder if this behavior is more common to the CZ 75 / SP-01 pistol lines than the P-07/P-09.

Clusterfrack
07-24-2018, 03:13 PM
I have 2 Shadow 2s for USPSA Production.

Robinson
07-24-2018, 03:45 PM
I wonder if the Shadow 2s receive more attention during manufacture, or are simply a better design that the basic models. I guess I'm reaching a bit with that though.

Mirolynmonbro
07-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Do those rounds pass the "plunk test" in the barrel? Or are they not making it that far?

I had to load my 147 blue bullets very short on my CZs. If I loaded the same as my Glock they would cause feed issues. I am using 135 truncated cone and I don't have to load them as short at the 147s

It also happens with 147gr federal HSTs in one of my P07s. It's my training P07 so I hardly ever shoot HSTs out of it. 124s load just fine

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
07-24-2018, 05:10 PM
No problem with HST147 in my P07s.

Mirolynmonbro
07-24-2018, 09:38 PM
No problem with HST147 in my P07s.It's just with one. I guess it has a shorter throat or chamber than the others do

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Robinson
07-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Do those rounds pass the "plunk test" in the barrel? Or are they not making it that far?

The gun feeds and cycles 147gr bullets just fine except for when the slide auto-forwards. For example, if the slide is not locked back and I load a fresh mag and rack the slide by hand all is good -- the pistol goes all the way into battery and the first round from the mag is loaded into the chamber regardless of bullet weight. If I load only a few rounds in a mag and insert it when the slide is back, it doesn't always auto-forward -- just some of the time. But if the slide is locked back and I load a full or near-full mag it always auto-forwards. With 115gr bullets the first round loads into the chamber every time. With 147gr bullets it never loads the first round into the chamber when auto-forwarding.

There have been no other malfunctions of any kind while firing -- no failures to feed or eject, with any bullet weight.

Robinson
07-25-2018, 12:11 PM
So today I said "screw it" and bought a couple of G34s. The LGS treated me awesome on the deal.

Normally I am willing to spend some time and effort to get a gun running when it has an issue. But I was hoping to use this CZ at a training class next month and I had actually planned to buy a second one as a backup. So I don't have time to mess around trying to diagnose the problem and possibly send it in for a repair.

Not that it isn't a good gun overall -- I like the ergos, the trigger, and the sights. Just didn't work out for me and I decided to move on.

I have pretty high confidence the G34s will work.