PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good level 2-3 Glock 19 holster.

Jon
07-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Just as the title says. I'm hunting for a level 2 or 3 holster for a Glock 19 gen 4. The catch is I want to be able to use a flashlight with it. Any pointers would be appreciated. Just got my pistol earlier this year and still have a lot to learn. Thanks again!

Sero Sed Serio
07-20-2018, 10:59 PM
Safariland 7367. The ALS component offers an immediate and automatic security component in the event of a speed reholster and an additional level of security when seat belts/armor/love handles inevitably disengage the SLS hood, while the SLS protects the ALS nub. It was incredibly fast, and at the same time I also did experiments where I would hand the holster with an unloaded gun to non-shooting friends to see how long it took them to figure it out. One took over 45 seconds, and that’s having the holster in his hands in good lighting. Almost no maintenance required, and no felt lining like the 6367 to trap dust and debris and accelerate wear. Can be used as a thigh holster, on a duty belt, or in the “concealment” (really plainclothes) version on a 1.5” belt. I struggle with them on pistols with a taller slide such as HKs or SIGs, but for a Glock I think it’s hands-down the best retention holster available.

Lon
07-20-2018, 11:32 PM
I’d go with a 7390 and a 6006 hood guard addition to bring it to level 2. Or a 7378/6006 if you’re looking for a non duty rig.

Bigghoss
07-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Safariland FTW.

ST911
07-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Just as the title says. I'm hunting for a level 2 or 3 holster for a Glock 19 gen 4. The catch is I want to be able to use a flashlight with it. Any pointers would be appreciated. Just got my pistol earlier this year and still have a lot to learn. Thanks again!

Why do you need a level 2 or 3, and what is your experience with holsters? You "just got your pistol...", what are you wanting to do with it?

OnionsAndDragons
07-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Why do you need a level 2 or 3, and what is your experience with holsters? You "just got your pistol...", what are you wanting to do with it?

This would be my line of inquiry as well.

If you just want retention features for security of the weapon from activity, with a slight benefit against a grab, I like the GLS Safariland holsters.

If you are working a uniformed armed job, I agree with the first rec: a Safariland with ALS with the added hood. You can get damned fast with them, but if you aren't wearing the weapon in full view all the time, your practice efforts are likely better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TGS
07-21-2018, 11:24 PM
The 537 GLS is a fantastic concealment holster that also gives you a second chance against a gun grab, but unfortunately it doesn't work with a WML per the OP's desire.

HeavyDuty
07-21-2018, 11:35 PM
I have to partially disagree - I carry in a level 2 Safariland (637x on a high rise belt loop + 6006 ALS guard) with a cover garment when I’m working in a rough area and want more security against a snatch and don’t care about absolute concealment, when I’m at a public range and also for better retention when I’m in the woods. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting a greater level of retention so long as the user trains with it. I am definitely not a fan of the GLS system, it offers zero protection against a snatch since the mere act of grasping the weapon unlocks it. I do agree that level 3 is overkill for nonuniform use.

ragnar_d
07-22-2018, 08:45 AM
I have to partially disagree - I carry in a level 2 Safariland (637x on a high rise belt loop + 6006 ALS guard) with a cover garment when I’m working in a rough area and want more security against a snatch and don’t care about absolute concealment, when I’m at a public range and also for better retention when I’m in the woods. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting a greater level of retention so long as the user trains with it.
Same for me, just not working in a rough area. Bouncing around the woods on a 4-wheeler/UTV/etc made my 6378 a worthy investment. After almost losing a gun out of the holster during a 3-gun match, I actually switched my competition holster over to a 6378 for a G34 on a Frank Proctor mount (http://www.frankproctorshooting.com/fp-holster-mounts-manufactured-by-ready-tactical/) . . . never noticed a difference in my draw after I practiced for a bit.

Hot Cereal
07-25-2018, 04:58 PM
It’s hard to beat the Safariland ALS series of holsters for a WML. However, if this isn’t for “duty” type work, a kydex holster that offers a WRS hood option would be completely sufficient and cold probably be had in a version that is more concealable than any Safariland ALS.

TheNewbie
07-25-2018, 06:06 PM
I personally think the SLS only holsters are ill suited for duty use.

In my opinion the Safariland ALS is the only way to go for a duty holster with active retention. I carry the 7360 for a Glock 17.

If you carry a light I would make sure to get a holster that better covers the trigger than the Safariland 6xxx series does. From what I've read the 7xxx light bearing holsters do a better job of covering the trigger. You would need to do the research though.