PDA

View Full Version : My Pact Club Timer III shit the bed, repair or get another brand?

shootist26
07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
My PACT Club TImer III lasted about 6 years and stopped working today at the range. Sensor no longer picks up any shots, but par time function still works.

PACT offers a repair service for $20, or I was thinking about trying out a new brand. Opinions? I generally liked the PACT timer for its simplicity as I could clip it to my pants pocket and run both shot timer mode and par time mode easily with a single hand.

mtnbkr
07-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Why are they so failure prone?

Chris

Clusterfrack
07-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Shot timers ALL SUCK. They are all based on 1980's tech, and whoever engineered them don't seem to have been serious shooters. I find the PACT to be the least retarded of the options, but it's still a PoS.

I really wish someone would develop a good shot timer with these features:
-Waterproof
-Good belt attachment options--modular (e.g. Tec-lok)
-Large buttons that work, and have tactile feedback (e.g. like on a quality handheld 2-way radio)
-Display that is readable in bright sunlight, while wearing sunglasses, and without reading glasses (for those of us with less-than-perfect vision)
-Multiple user-programmable modes that are easy to switch between (e.g. par times, delays, etc.)
-Accurate to 0.01s, with par times down to 0.10s
-Adjustable beep duration and loudness
-User tunable filtering to screen out background noise or to time .22 rifle shooters
-Storage for 100+ runs
-Bluetooth interface to iPhone and Android app
-Firmware updatable

I would pay $250 or $300 for a timer like that.

Peally
07-20-2018, 04:55 PM
They're all flimsy garbage, listen to Tom.

Nephrology
07-20-2018, 05:57 PM
My only suggestion is that if you buy a new one, get it from Brownells (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&mi=10077&pw=209415&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2F) so that they'll send you a new one as part of their forever guarantee (https://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/forever_guarantee.aspx)when it inevitably breaks.

My Pocket Pro II has been relatively durable but I am a far lower volume shooter than a lot of people here, especially these days. I still bought it from Brownell's for this exact reason.

nate89
07-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Shot timers ALL SUCK. They are all based on 1980's tech, and whoever engineered them don't seem to have been serious shooters. I find the PACT to be the least retarded of the options, but it's still a PoS.

-Waterproof
-Large buttons that work, and have tactile feedback (e.g. like on a quality handheld 2-way radio)
-Display that is readable in bright sunlight, while wearing sunglasses, and without reading glasses (for those of us with less-than-perfect vision)
-Multiple user-programmable modes that are easy to switch between (e.g. par times, delays, etc.)
-User tunable filtering to screen out background noise or to time .22 rifle shooters
-Storage for 100+ runs
-Firmware updatable

I get that there would be some initial cost into the R&D, perhaps substantial cost. I'm just imagining how many clubs and individuals would also be on board for a timer like that. The electronics and coding on a timer are very simple, and there are plenty of options of ruggedized electronics that you could mimic. I'm sure somebody has to be working on something like that right now. I broke two ced7ks before I tried the pocket pro 2 and broke that too, but figured how how to fix it and that's what I'm still using. Hopefully a new option comes out soon.

RJ
07-20-2018, 05:59 PM
My Pocket Pro II has been relatively durable but I am a far lower volume shooter than a lot of people here, especially these days. I still bought it from Brownell's for this exact reason.

Me too.

Or me three, not sure. But I did listen to Tom on this one.

shootist26
07-21-2018, 06:27 PM
I ordered a pocket pro 2. Let's see how this works out. I like the fact it has an adjustable volume for indoor dry firing

alexmg
07-25-2018, 10:37 PM
I get that there would be some initial cost into the R&D, perhaps substantial cost. I'm just imagining how many clubs and individuals would also be on board for a timer like that. The electronics and coding on a timer are very simple, and there are plenty of options of ruggedized electronics that you could mimic. I'm sure somebody has to be working on something like that right now. I broke two ced7ks before I tried the pocket pro 2 and broke that too, but figured how how to fix it and that's what I'm still using. Hopefully a new option comes out soon.

As a matter of fact, something new with very impressive specs that exceed same class devices is going to hit the market very soon, some specimens already in circulation at few clubs, be on lookout next couple months. Once I get more info to share, will be happy to report in here.

Super J
07-29-2018, 02:18 PM
As a matter of fact, something new with very impressive specs that exceed same class devices is going to hit the market very soon, some specimens already in circulation at few clubs, be on lookout next couple months. Once I get more info to share, will be happy to report in here.

Looking forward to learning more about this new item.

Jared
07-29-2018, 05:23 PM

I look forward to this. I've been threatening to design one myself once I get done with the degree I'm working on, but I never planned to actually market the thing because running my own small business is probably more than I'm up for. That said, if someone else already has the better mousetrap ready to go, I'd scrap my plan and buy theirs

JustOneGun
07-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Same for me. It's worked great, but I'm the only one using it. Other than putting a piece of cardboard to wedge the battery in, it's been fine with me running around during courses. I've even found a way to drop it a few times. Yes, a better belt attachment would be great. To be fair I do hang it on my pocket and not my belt. So perhaps the dropping is operator error. LOL.

As for club use, it's a bit of both. Cheap plastic crap and massive use. They need a high end one for club use. But for this old fart Pocket Pro II is just fine.

HCM
07-29-2018, 08:31 PM

I will add I killed a Pocket Pro II by letting it get drenched in bug repellent in my range bag and they fixed it for a very reasonable sum ($30 ?) - if you kill one and they cant fix it they will sell you another at a significant discount.

ViniVidivici
07-29-2018, 10:35 PM
I've been using a shot timer app on my phone called "Splits" for a few months. It's free, works great. Lot of features.

Anybody else use something comparable?

alexmg
07-29-2018, 11:56 PM
Looking forward to learning more about this new item.

I will try to bring a sneak peek from the field next week to show new timer in action, so far here is the leaked specs list:

1. Largest digits to display shot time.
2. Presets
3. Digitally adjustable sensitivity all the way down to dry fire (both striker and hammer).
4. Adjustable beep volume
5. Multi Par.
6. Instant or delayed start (fixed, random, or combination)
7. Ability to view few recent strings simultaneously so you can compare your runs side-by-side.
8. Regular AAA batteries
9. Longest battery life
10. Durable
11. Compact (2x3.8x0.8")
12. Straight forward, easy to understand menus and ergonomics (one hand operation if necessary)

And more.

That Guy
08-01-2018, 06:39 AM
I've been using a shot timer app on my phone called "Splits" for a few months. It's free, works great. Lot of features.

I've done enough damage to my timers not to want to expose a relatively fragile and expensive phone to the same conditions.

(I do have a timer app on my phone I've used in dry fire to give me PAR beeps and range commands. I should probably start using it again, it's been ages.)

feudist
08-01-2018, 10:30 AM

I can't find it in the Apple store.

alexmg
08-01-2018, 11:12 AM
First field video, this time of random durability test that I did during prototype testing, apparently this was not its first "flight" and certainly not the last one that day :). If it survived this, - then it can definitely withstand accidental drop during normal use.

https://youtu.be/77DaTa2Xrrg

ViniVidivici
08-01-2018, 12:00 PM
It's in the google play store.

Otaku.edc
08-02-2018, 12:35 PM
First field video, this time of random durability test that I did during prototype testing, apparently this was not its first "flight" and certainly not the last one that day :). If it survived this, - then it can definitely withstand accidental drop during normal use.

https://youtu.be/77DaTa2Xrrg

My PACT TIMER shit the bed this week as well. Got a POCKET PRO via Amazon same day delivery. Probably should have gotten from Brownell's since that is an excellent backup plan.

Looking forward to trying out this new device as it's billed alexmg thanks for sharing.

Spartan1980
08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Please keep us updated. I'm needing something new also.

alexmg
08-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Please keep us updated. I'm needing something new also.
Absolutely, today I took a quick video demonstrating it in use at the bench. Will be happy to share more when I have my hands on more footage. And once I have more data about product name, final looks and release dates, I will post it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWRIGXas0Lo

MEH
08-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Color me intrigued.

Clusterfrack
08-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Looks promising. I hope the UI and build quality are solid.

einherjarvalk
08-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Kicking this back up because I'm in the market for a shot timer now too. I've seen a lot of Pocket Pro IIs floating around lately, but I'm always open to something else.

Any news on whatever that prototype shot timer is? Guessing it's a new CED model.

Kirk
08-31-2018, 12:28 AM

-Waterproof
-Storage for 100+ runs
-Firmware updatable

This x 1000.

Shot timers are all POS. It's 2018 and competitive shooters all the way up to national champions are stuck using technology that was made when Ronald Reagan was still in office. There is a new iPhone/Samsung rolled out every 20 days it seems, but shooters are still using the same relatively featureless timers. I had high hopes for the Shotmaxx, but it's not very user friendly *IMHO*. It sounds really dumb, but I'd pay up to $500 for a shot timer that is durable, updatable, and has the other qualities you mention.

alexmg
08-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Kicking this back up because I'm in the market for a shot timer now too. I've seen a lot of Pocket Pro IIs floating around lately, but I'm always open to something else.

Any news on whatever that prototype shot timer is? Guessing it's a new CED model.

The timer you see in the videos above is not affiliated with CED or any other that are currently sold in any way, it is designed and manufactured from ground up in USA from quality components. The official pre-release will be in a matter of a week or so, with the name of the product, shipping dates, price, etc. I have an upgraded prototype since last time I posted a test video here I will record a video tonight from home to glimpse at the menus etc, stay tuned my friends.

alexmg
09-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Hi All, so I managed to record few flicks, excuse the crudity as it was shot with simple phone camera setup.
I just fired it up and demonstrated how menus work, totally simple, everything can be done single handed and easy to use. I also wanted to demonstrate its ability to display 3 strings simultaneously, this feature is something that never existed on other timers, so if you for example shooting your favorite drill such as Bill Drill for example you can compare few runs side by side, in the video I simulated 3 strings and then you can see them side by side with shot numbers at the top.
I also wanted to show couple holder options, main holder is compatible with Tek-Lok system and its mounting hole pattern can allow other belt clips, there is also a rotating belt clip and timer's form factor allows to use any other after market pouches, for example in the end of the video you can see that it fits into Motorola radio pouch as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aca2eySFPY&feature=youtu.be

psalms144.1
09-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Put me down for one - unless they're priced like a new iPhone!

Totem Polar
09-01-2018, 04:02 PM

I’m going to have to go with this, myself. The minute you’re free to post details, please do.

Clusterfrack
09-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Also very interested. As will be at least 6 other USPSA shooters.

TAZ
09-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Like the looks of that. Seems almost sensitive enough to allow for dry fire work. I’m in the same boat. Unless it’s iPhone pricing, I’d like to get one.

Kirk
09-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Very interested myself, even if it's priced like a new iPhone lol. My Pact III is dicey, ATM. Something wrong with battery connection

alexmg
09-01-2018, 09:34 PM

I’m going to have to go with this, myself. The minute you’re free to post details, please do.

Like the looks of that. Seems almost sensitive enough to allow for dry fire work. I’m in the same boat. Unless it’s iPhone pricing, I’d like to get one.

Hi All, the exact price of the product will be revealed soon along with web site announcements, however I can definitely state that it wont be expensive as it is developed by shooter for shooters and competitive price-point was also one of the goals to achieve as it made for everyone.

Now the dry-fire, - we had great results with both, the hammer and striker fire pistols, hammer or striker fall was detected at reasonable distances just fine, and by reasonable distance I mean that you do need to have it glued to the pistol, it can be situated on a table or belt, etc, and you can stand comfortably next to it in the room with some freedom of motion. I recorded a quick video of me just dry firing my XDM next to it, you can see it picked up every striker fall just fine. Shot detection is a really challenging task these days, with PCCs coming more popular and people trying to quiet their guns more and more, it is very tricky to make sure that quiet shots can be picked up reliably as well as to make sure that loud shots do not get registered million times, as you can see in some phone apps, so alot of thought was put into shot detection algorithm of this timer to make sure it can get the best data out of the sound wave that hits it.

Here is the dry-firing test:

https://youtu.be/-1H7-YucxBQ

Clobbersaurus
09-02-2018, 07:26 AM
I’m liking the look of this new timer. A couple questions I have are does it have a random beep delay, or a presetable delay? Also, how long is the beep? Can the length of the beep be adjusted? For some dry fire drills a shorter beep length than .3 would be good.

feudist
09-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Also ruggedness and water resistance?

alexmg
09-02-2018, 02:35 PM
I’m liking the look of this new timer. A couple questions I have are does it have a random beep delay, or a presetable delay? Also, how long is the beep? Can the length of the beep be adjusted? For some dry fire drills a shorter beep length than .3 would be good.
The delay is fully controlled, it can be instant or fixed, or random, or combination of fixed followed by random. You can set it all the way up to 10+ minutes if necessary, can be useful for official USPSA stage walk through timeout.
The most effective beep length is 0.3s, I am really curious what drills would require shorter beep duration?

Also ruggedness and water resistance?
If you back up couple pages you can see a video of me throwing timer like a football and it survived s significant impact so it is durable, the circuit has conformal coating, I would not recommend deep sea shooting :) but if it gets accidentally wet, you can dry it up and be back in biz.
Did I mention it uses conventional batteries and battery life exceed competition by factor of x10?

peterb
09-02-2018, 04:09 PM
4 x AAA? Do you have to use alkalines, or can you use rechargeable NiHH? I use Eneloops in my AA or AAA high-use devices if possible.

alexmg
09-02-2018, 04:22 PM
4 x AAA? Do you have to use alkalines, or can you use rechargeable NiHH? I use Eneloops in my AA or AAA high-use devices if possible.
Correct, 4 AAAs, any chemistry: alkaline, rechargeable NiMH, lithiums, anything will work.

feudist
09-02-2018, 04:36 PM
You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

That Guy
09-03-2018, 05:52 AM
There is a new iPhone/Samsung rolled out every 20 days it seems, but shooters are still using the same relatively featureless timers.

"Features" are not the problem. Durability and ease of use is the problem.

That said, I'm mighty interested in this new timer alexmg talks about, as well... Here's hoping my CED7000 stays alive long enough for me to get that one. :)

1slow
09-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Very interested.

Clusterfrack
09-03-2018, 10:21 AM
The delay is fully controlled, it can be instant or fixed, or random, or combination of fixed followed by random. You can set it all the way up to 10+ minutes if necessary, can be useful for official USPSA stage walk through timeout.
The most effective beep length is 0.3s, I am really curious what drills would require shorter beep duration?

If you back up couple pages you can see a video of me throwing timer like a football and it survived s significant impact so it is durable, the circuit has conformal coating, I would not recommend deep sea shooting [emoji4] but if it gets accidentally wet, you can dry it up and be back in biz.
Did I mention it uses conventional batteries and battery life exceed competition by factor of x10?

Shorter beep would be useful in dryfire micro drills where par times are 0.5s or less. I’d love a metronome function as well.

Quality of construction is a big item for me. I can buy a Baofeng handheld radio for $50 that’s rugged and has good buttons. A shot timer should be at least that good.

awp_101
09-03-2018, 10:45 AM
I’m in the market for my first timer so this is extremely interesting, in for updates.

Clobbersaurus
09-03-2018, 02:04 PM

Burkett reload drills and draws set at .5 par time. A .3 beep duration can sometimes make it hard to define where he start beep ends and the par beep begins. It’s just a fussy little thing I wish I had more dead time to help really push speed.

Thank you very much for your response to my questions.

Clobbersaurus
09-03-2018, 02:06 PM
I’d love a metronome function as well.

Oh hell yeah! I totally forgot about this!

feudist
09-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Oh hell yeah! I totally forgot about this!

What for?

Clusterfrack
09-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Shorter beep would be useful in dryfire micro drills where par times are 0.5s or less. I’d love a metronome function as well.

What for?

One way to speed up splits, and especially transitions in dryfire is to set a metronome frequency and try to match it. A very short beep would be necessary for that.

feudist
09-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Got it, thanks.

Peally
09-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Hell with features I just want something that lasts outdoors more than the crappy timers out there already. Other than a random start and par time I have used zero other bells and whistles on any timer I've owned.

Clobbersaurus
09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
What for?

What Cluster said. I typically use a YouTube video for metronome training, but it would be cool to have it on a timer.

https://youtu.be/7A4wwBbFEPs

alexmg
09-13-2018, 01:04 AM
Hi all, here is a little compilation from today's steel match. It handles challenging shot pickup conditions just fine, .22s, PCCs? - no problem.

https://youtu.be/IXeYwKj1swA
Working around the clock to help this project hit shelves as soon as possible, it may require a little Kickstarter campaign to do final push to market.
Thank you for your interest.

JSGlock34
09-29-2018, 02:57 PM
What's the latest? I'm standing by for the Kickstarter campaign...

alexmg
09-29-2018, 04:03 PM
What's the latest? I'm standing by for the Kickstarter campaign...

Thanks for inquiry, I am happy to provide some insights for anyone who reads this message: looks like kickstarter won't be required, product should be available to preorder next week with shipping date approx. end of October or sooner if will be possible, I would like it to start shipping sooner, however some components are being produced and sourced as I type this message so they take some time to show up as the lab.
I am also happy to reveal product name, see picture below. Manufactured by "AMG Lab" from Tampa, FL
Buyers will also receive the belt holder for free, the one seen in the second attached picture, and universal seen in the same picture, we tested it whole summer, you can run with it, you can jump with it, you can RO match, you can wear it horizontal, vertical, upside down, it will perform, and as I said before it is compatible with Tek-Lok clips, third picture, you can see hole patterns.
There are some more exiting things about this timer than I have been bringing up in my posts, so yes, almost there, just few days my friends.

Oh and one last thing, check this out, how about this for torture test:

https://youtu.be/8Gfn5l3lv3M

awp_101
09-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Are you able to give us a ballpark on the pricing yet?

alexmg
09-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Are you able to give us a ballpark on the pricing yet?
Unfortunately at this point I am not able to get precise number before official release however I can guarantee it will be under $200, how under? can be 140, can be 150 can be 160, there will also be a package option for clubs to get different packaging at reduced price, bulk package so to speak and without holder, since clubs keep timers in a bin pile anyways.

1slow
09-29-2018, 04:38 PM
I am interested.

awp_101
09-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately at this point I am not able to get precise number before official release however I can guarantee it will be under $200, how under? can be 140, can be 150 can be 160, there will also be a package option for clubs to get different packaging at reduced price, bulk package so to speak and without holder, since clubs keep timers in a bin pile anyways.

Thanks!

FNFAN
09-29-2018, 05:36 PM
We should ask Tom to let us do a group buy.

psalms144.1
10-01-2018, 10:25 AM
We should ask Tom to let us do a group buy.HELLS to the YES!

RJ
10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
HELLS to the YES!

I’m so in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
10-04-2018, 12:40 AM
Still interested... group buy sounds like fun.

MGW
10-04-2018, 06:37 AM
I might be interested in a group buy depending on price.

Yung
10-04-2018, 07:02 AM
I'd also be very interested in participating in a group buy for this.

eb07
10-04-2018, 08:59 AM
I am in. Anymore info on this?

Doc_Glock
10-04-2018, 09:02 AM
I am in.

alexmg
10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
I am in.
Hi All, I will report back today, yes we live, I will have all info, just need to sort out alot of logistical stuff, but we moving.
Will be back shortly.

Keith E.
10-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Interested in group buy.

Thanks,
Keith

Humble Man
10-04-2018, 07:14 PM
I'm in

AMC
10-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Hell I'll pay retail. I need a new timer, and this one looks like the best thing to hit shot timers since batteries!

Super77
10-04-2018, 10:25 PM
I'll give one a whirl

alexmg
10-05-2018, 03:15 AM
Not trying to jinx it or anything, but I can't see them doing a group-buy on PF since people here are already interested (and I've already allowed them to "advertise" for free). The last thing a new company (or existing company with a new product) needs to do is sell products at a discount that people are willing to pay full price for just because they want to be a good guy (ask me how I know). I'm also sure there are some that are unwilling to buy a new product unless they get it at a discount (again, ask me how I know).

Hi All I'm back with some info, and a comment to what Tom_Jones just said there above.

First the comment: After pondering this idea for awhile, I do agree with Tom, it is hard to picture a clear plan how that should happen not so much because people already want to buy product even without group buy initiative, but more because if group buy will exist as planned, is will really be tailored more for the clubs because product will be missing a retail packaging and a holder (because clubs don't use those things anyways), and while it may have a volume discount, it also gets shipped into one place, applying creating club package for group of individuals like us here will be a bit a logistical challenge of not a logistical catastrophe.
I encourage everyone interested from this thread to simply go ahead and proceed with their pre-order when pre-orders start and reserve your spot at the front of production batch, there are already some pre-orders to fullfill accumulated during prototype testing over the course of 2018, so first batch will fly off shelves like hot pretzels, we will keep price equal to everyone so that there are no special nor under-special customers, everyone deserve same level of service, however I will personally make sure that all of those who entrusted their interest into this shot timer this far, get little something special in the package once you receive yours. What say you?

Now the info: The website is live at https://www.amg-lab.com/ it meant to be simple with no fuss no muss. If you see something a bit buggy, perhaps let me know? Imagery will get updated over the course of a week, some more text and videos will be added slowly, some social apps links will be added as well, simple pictures were chosen, simple words were spoken there. There still a lot of work to be done website-wise but we need to start somewhere.
Will be couple more days before money can be taken from you to secure your order (due to some secure payment system setup still undergoing construction) please use subscribe field at the bottom to get into the system early. If you still on the fence, I encourage you still go subscribe at least to indicate an interest.

And now the good gooood stuff, on top of all cool things about this product that I already mentioned previously, it also going to be BlueTooth enabled, app is already in dev., I have a working prototype in my hands, so what you will get should include a free bonus in form if BlueTooth module for which some apps are currently being developed.

einherjarvalk
10-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Excellent, signed up for the email newsletter so I can get a preorder in ASAP.

MGW
10-06-2018, 09:52 AM
This looks to be thought out so well. Can’t wait to get my hands in one.

Clusterfrack
10-06-2018, 10:46 AM
...The website is live at https://www.amg-lab.com/ it meant to be simple with no fuss no muss. If you see something a bit buggy, perhaps let me know?

...And now the good gooood stuff, on top of all cool things about this product that I already mentioned previously, it also going to be BlueTooth enabled, app is already in dev., I have a working prototype in my hands, so what you will get should include a free bonus in form if BlueTooth module for which some apps are currently being developed.

This looks really good. Bluetooth with an app is a great addition. I will be buying one.

Good call on having the testing done at Hooters.

https://www.amg-lab.com
"For over a year every aspect of design was tested extensively in the field by differents hooters, at different ranges, with different guns, different ammo, at types of matches"

Palmetto
10-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Alexmg looking forward to being able to order one of these. Put in my email.

When do you expect to accept more orders?

alexmg
10-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Alexmg looking forward to being able to order one of these. Put in my email.

When do you expect to accept more orders?

The pre-orders not started yet, the money processing part (CCs, Paypal, etc) of website is still being setup, maybe couple more days to finish up setup so by subscribing to email list you will get first hand informed when pre-orders start. Still targeting to start shipping at the end of October, I will keep updates on process.

RJ
10-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Subscribed.

RJ
10-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Not trying to jinx it or anything, but I can't see them doing a group-buy on PF since people here are already interested (and I've already allowed them to "advertise" for free). The last thing a new company (or existing company with a new product) needs to do is sell products at a discount that people are willing to pay full price for just because they want to be a good guy (ask me how I know). I'm also sure there are some that are unwilling to buy a new product unless they get it at a discount (again, ask me how I know).

I’m in at a buck fiddy.

Seems like a very well designed product.

einherjarvalk
10-12-2018, 02:21 AM
On a side note, I just noticed that the most recent MantisX update added a "Shot Timer" function as well as Cadence settings for 5 round strings at 0.5s, 1.0s, and 2.0s intervals. I haven't played with these in dry or live fire yet, but the shot timer function seems to have a random delay before the beep, usually in the neighborhood of about 6-8 seconds after you tell it to start.

While I don't think it's likely to be a good replacement for a quality shot timer, I think it's a great added function to the MantisX system, since it clearly had the functionality prior and just lacked the software support to act as a shot timer. I'd go so far as to say it may be one of if not the best options for shot timer use at a public indoor range since the MantisX is operating off of an accelerometer rather than "listening" for the shot, meaning noise pollution is a non-factor.

alexmg
10-18-2018, 10:37 AM
For those who following: https://blog.practiscore.com
And here is an example how time can be transferred from timer into scoring app remotely.
https://youtu.be/ciGLzLdyFNU

BachsteinConsulting_Pat
10-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Bachstein Consulting is very excited to be working with an industry leader looking to introduce new technology to the shooting sports industry. If you are a competitive shooter, please tell us your hopes and dreams regarding the future of shot timers. In addition to completing the survey, please feel free to comment here in the forum.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4592587/kbshottimer

alexmg
10-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi all, I have an update: also an email blast will go to those who subscribed at AMG Lab website.
There has been some unfortunate delay with some components from couple of suppliers, apparently they cannot fullfill my orders quick enough to make shipping start to happen right now. However the good news is that this is all that this delay is about. I adjusted shipping date on the website to adjust for that now that I have more precise data from suppliers. Once parts are in-house they go straight into the product same day and then get shipped to you right away.
I encourage everyone who is committed to pre-order to reserve a unit by placing a pre-order today as all pre-orders will also include a bonus, details in the cart. First batch has limited stock quantity so dont delay, once preorder is placed I will personally keep you updated on every step it takes to get this timer in your hands. If anyone has a question feel free to PM here or at www.amg-lab.com

And here are couple clips from yesterday’s match, on the last video shooter had timer on his belt and given a remote beep from the tablet, as he runs back and around divider to the next set of targets the way is open and there is no bumping into RO, not to mention that timer being on shooter’s belt picks up every single shot fired accurately.

https://youtu.be/PXcWlVQK0wI

https://youtu.be/LtAPXnzDc2A

https://youtu.be/e6ElU-7wO2c

RJ
10-31-2018, 04:56 PM
alexmg Aha!

I thought there was a guy with an extra timer on my stages at a WAC match I shot a couple weekends ago...I remember thinking at the time, hey I wonder...

Very cool and really glad to see you taking the time to get the product right. And kudos for the real world no kidding testing at WAC.

Hope you sell a bunch.

RJ
10-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Preorder submitted.

alexmg
10-31-2018, 10:16 PM
alexmg Aha!

I thought there was a guy with an extra timer on my stages at a WAC match I shot a couple weekends ago...I remember thinking at the time, hey I wonder...

Very cool and really glad to see you taking the time to get the product right. And kudos for the real world no kidding testing at WAC.

Hope you sell a bunch.

You got me! Thank you for kind words and pre-order. Its pretty cool that you saw and can indeed confirm what level of testing and how much of it was put into this product. Those who never shot at WAC may not know that, but it has very unique bay setup that makes clean shot detection a challenging task, it amplifies sound of loud guns, while keeping quiet ones still quiet, bays #6 and #7 have shorter divider so you have to watch for sounds coming from adjacent bays, etc. So once shot detection algorithm was smart enough to detect shots properly at WAC, anything else is was a walk in the park :)

alexmg
10-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Double-post, sorry. Please delete.

Clusterfrack
11-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Purchased.

Doc_Glock
11-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Purchased. Looking forward to using it.

NETim
11-01-2018, 03:38 PM
On order!!!

awp_101
11-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Just pre-ordered. Another step down the path of learning...

RJ
11-01-2018, 06:12 PM
You got me! Thank you for kind words and pre-order. Its pretty cool that you saw and can indeed confirm what level of testing and how much of it was put into this product. Those who never shot at WAC may not know that, but it has very unique bay setup that makes clean shot detection a challenging task, it amplifies sound of loud guns, while keeping quiet ones still quiet, bays #6 and #7 have shorter divider so you have to watch for sounds coming from adjacent bays, etc. So once shot detection algorithm was smart enough to detect shots properly at WAC, anything else is was a walk in the park :)

I can vouch for everything Alex is saying about WAC.

einherjarvalk
11-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Those of you who have ordered already/Alex: does the preorder charge go through as soon as you order or will it do so at the time of shipment?

alexmg
11-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Those of you who have ordered already/Alex: does the preorder charge go through as soon as you order or will it do so at the time of shipment?

Charge goes through immediately upon pre-order placement.

eb07
11-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Ordered mine.

Keith E.
11-02-2018, 06:35 AM
Placed order yesterday.

Keith

Palmetto
11-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Ordered.

Should be a big step up from my ShottMax

Although that thing has proven very reliable for my training.

Palmetto
11-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Alex shared your timer on FB in a Beretta group. Think at least one more guy was planning to buy, maybe two.

Your timer sells itself.

HCM
11-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Ordered.

Peally
11-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Les had it on FB as well, first I saw of it. I'm definitely not a beta tester type but if it proves a nice timer down the road I'll pick one up for sure.

alexmg
11-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Small update while we approaching target shipment dates:
It is used at WAC in both modes: manual score entry and Bluetooth score entry, below is a video of Bluetooth in action, notice how Score keeper announces time before RO does, well, that is because he actually knows the time before RO does :)

So this is Level 1 match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQP4XodjBg8

And this is somebody else's video from Level 2 Monster match at Universal Shooting Academy few days ago, what happened there is apparently blue timer died, and and this timer was approved to use for remainder of the shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCi7q6JELI

It is a pretty cool coincident that the shooter from first video is the RO in the second one :)

RJ
11-08-2018, 10:35 PM
For info, a thread dedicated to this new timer has been started here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33692-AMG-Lab-Shot-Timer

alexmg
11-08-2018, 11:08 PM
For info, a thread dedicated to this new timer has been started here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33692-AMG-Lab-Shot-Timer
Allrighty then, next post goes there, into the thread above.

SecondHandSmoke
12-08-2018, 11:58 PM
I've owned the same hand-me-down PACT club timer for 8 years. I'm actually not sure how old it is.

It has been used heavily, and has been used in temp ranges from -20 to 110. It has stopped working for me several times, but I've always been able to bring it back.

Here are the 2 things I've had to do (aside from the obvious stuff like electrician tape the casing):

Polish these contact points with a dollar bill, scotch-brite, etc..... and/or rebuild the contacts with solder (top contact in picture has had solder added to ensure contact with worn button):

Use aluminum HVAC tape to fix the worn buttons. This really works wonders once you've had a ton of cycles on the "GO" button.