PDA

View Full Version : New M&P Mag Release, Costa Catalyst

orionz06
02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Check it out here (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/02/20/the-costa-catalyst-is-the-extended-mag-release-for-your-mp-that-you-didnt-know-you-needed/).

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/02161221stcentmagrelease059.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/x02161221stcentmagrelease021.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/02161221stcentmagrelease034.jpg
Photos from Military Times GearScout

JConn
02-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Once you put that on your m&p its no longer a gun, it's a weapons system.

Trademark JConn Enterprises Worldwide

orionz06
02-20-2012, 11:01 AM

I like this guy ^

JConn
02-20-2012, 11:36 AM
If it's ever used I want royalties.

GOP
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
That looks excellent for dynamic critical incidents.

jetfire
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Dammit, I just shaved my beard off so I can't buy this now. :(

bdcheung
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I always hated that the M&P mag release was beveled away from the thumb. This looks likes a great replacement. Any idea on price and availability?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Looks cool, do any of you actually need it? Have you had problems with the mag release, I just haven't heard anyone complain.

ETA: Tapatalk didn't update...disregard please

JRL
02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
That looks excellent for dynamic critical incidents.

Relevant:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/travis-haley-magpul-dynamics-CEO.jpg

YVK
02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
I'll try it. Whatever little reloading I've done with MP so far, I have wished for slightly more positive contact with mag release button.

It does look huge, though. Wonder if it is sold inside and could be trimmed a bit with a D-tool. Also, seems like it'll be useless for a trigger finger activation option.

Nephrology
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Sounds like an energy drink.

orionz06
02-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds like an energy drink.

Powerthirst?

rsa-otc
02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
This looks just like what the Doctor ordered. Even with my big hands I have to slightly shift my grip to positively drop the mag. If it works the way it looks like it does I've just sloved that problem.

Pepper
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I always hated that the M&P mag release was beveled away from the thumb. This looks likes a great replacement. Any idea on price and availability?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$25 plus $7 shipping @ Costa Ludus.

JM Campbell
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I'll be a guinea pig.....If I don't like it somebody gets it cheap ;)

VolGrad
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll try it. Whatever little reloading I've done with MP so far, I have wished for slightly more positive contact with mag release button.
This.

I'm used to GLOCK OEM extended mag releases so I would like something that sticks out a little further on my M&Ps.

jslaker
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I always hated that the M&P mag release was beveled away from the thumb.

I always liked it because I run my guns with reversed mag releases.

Also, seems like it'll be useless for a trigger finger activation option.

Yup.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Lots of name brand trinkets these days.

Leozinho
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
$25 plus $7 shipping @ Costa Ludus.

Ridiculously overpriced. Even the shipping is expensive.

He'll sell a ton of them.

This wouldn't be Production legal, would it? I forget.

Leozinho
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM

I'd assume he's working on a set of sights. He's behind the curve on those.

jetfire
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM

I'm going to release the "Caleb Giddings Ultimate Glock Pack" which will be "guaranteed to improve your shooting." The pack will have a set of non-shitty sights and 2,000 rounds of ammo.

orionz06
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm going to release the "Caleb Giddings Ultimate Glock Pack" which will be "guaranteed to improve your shooting." The pack will have a set of non-shitty sights and 2,000 rounds of ammo.

Money back guarantee? ;)

jetfire
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
No, I'm going to name the company "Caveat Emptor, INC".

jetfire
02-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I already have one LLC, I'm going S-corp this time.

Zhurdan
02-20-2012, 04:57 PM

If you had an industry wide recognizable name... you wouldn't cash in a bit? :)

I wonder if it sticks out too far and will affect the use of a molded kydex holster that was molded for the regular release.

*ETA Must have missed that in the first read through of the article.... says it isn't affected by holsters. *

G60
02-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna give this thing a try. I've got stubby lil thumbs, and going back and forth between small & medium straps, index finger or thumb magazine release, I can't get a really consistent release of the magazine without shifting my grip more than i'd like.

DonovanM
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Trademark JConn Enterprises Worldwide

LOL!

This wouldn't be Production legal, would it? I forget.

Nope, sorry, only if S&W starts including them from the factory.

JeffJ
02-22-2012, 12:04 PM

No go - I'm only interested in improvement by tacking on more junk to my gun, not practice :D

LittleLebowski
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I'd assume he's working on a set of sights. He's behind the curve on those.

Needs a sling too. It will go well with the $3500 Nighthawk.

orionz06
02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Costa Ludus M&P Takedown tool?

Magsz
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Costa Ludus M&P Takedown tool?

Doubles as an eye gouging implement.

VolGrad
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Just to make sure I keep in sync with what's cool and what's not .....

Costa mag catch is uncool but Vickers mag catch is cool, right? :p

LittleLebowski
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Both are cool if they work for you. I think folks are just responding in a humorous manner to the flood of name brand addons.

VolGrad
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Both are cool if they work for you. I think folks are just responding in a humorous manner to the flood of name brand addons.

I know I know. I'm just pointing out the irony. I can't wait to read the post once Todd goes live with sales of his GLOCK "gadget". :D

Magsz
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I know I know. I'm just pointing out the irony. I can't wait to read the post once Todd goes live with sales of his GLOCK "gadget". :D

Call it the Greenie Gadget.

orionz06
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM

I think to dig deeper we would have to ask... When was the last time someone complained about the stock M&P mag release? I have yet to hear any issue other than one person, in this thread. The Glock mag release, it is almost unusable for some.

NickA
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Call it the Greenie Gadget.

I really hope we have a naming contest for the Gadget, would be lots of fun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Magsz
02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I think to dig deeper we would have to ask... When was the last time someone complained about the stock M&P mag release? I have yet to hear any issue other than one person, in this thread. The Glock mag release, it is almost unusable for some.

I found the stock mag release to be BETTER when you remove the little "guard" on the frame leaving that area flat.

Other than that...no, ive never heard of anyone wanting an extended catch. Having said that, it doesnt mean this isnt a good product.

JDM
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
I found the stock mag release to be BETTER when you remove the little "guard" on the frame leaving that area flat.

My god man, THATS BRILLIANT!!

LittleLebowski
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM

WIN.

YVK
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Those who never had issues with stock MP mag release: your pistols have thumb safety or not?

VolGrad
02-22-2012, 06:58 PM

I haven't said it online anywhere but one of the first things I said to myself upon picking up my M&Ps is I would prefer an extended mag release of some sort. They feel like they are sort of nested in there. They are completely usable but I would prefer something that sticks out a bit more.

I do find the std GLOCK mag releases to be crap. I prefer the LAV or a GLOCK ext one. That's one of the first things I change out on my GLOCKs.

Besides, what works best for one might not for another and vice versa. This explains the million aftermarket parts for 1911s, ARs, and many other "platforms".

Magsz
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
My god man, THATS BRILLIANT!!

Picture for emphasis.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3092/mpbackstrap1of1.jpg

JDM
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
I just did it. It allows much more positive engagement of the mag release.

Thanks!

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/fatcook/IMG_1470.jpg

orionz06
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Those who never had issues with stock MP mag release: your pistols have thumb safety or not?

No thumb safety

VolGrad
02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
No thumb safety

What's a thumb safety? ;)

dookie1481
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

No thumb safety, but I reverse my mag catch.

YVK
02-23-2012, 12:21 AM
No thumb safety

What's a thumb safety? ;)

That's that little thingy I try to keep up when I shove MP down the appendix holster.

Riding thumb safety keeps my thumb higher on the pistol and overall changes hand's position a bit. I probably would've been OK with a regular mag release if I had a safety-less MP.
However, seeing how folks like the idea of filing off that bump tells me that more positive engagement with a stock catch seems desirable.

G60
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Mine arrived today, only had a few seconds to try it out on my lunch, half of which I was crawling around trying to find where a flying buffer retainer landed.

Initial impressions bring two things to mind. It works. For me. I do not have to shift my grip at all to drop a mag. I noticed I was still trying to manipulate my thumb and grip even more than I actually need to with the new mag release, being so used to having to shift it so much. (I'm not going to refer to it as the 'catalyst')
Second, it pokes out quite a bit, enough that I noticed it with the palm of my strong hand #2. I will not have a chance to get any live fire in until Friday, where I will definitely test if that might result in any accidental magazine drops while shooting. A pretty big concern right there.
I am not concerned with inadvertent release while holstered, as carry would be with the magazine release against my body, though I can see how inadvertent release while carrying may be of some concern to those who carry with mag release away from the body.

Shaving frame material looks like a great idea, but at this time I would rather not make permanent modifications to the frames on my m&p's.

I'll update when I get some live fire on Friday as to the concerns I have with being able to feel the mag release with my strong hand #2 palm.

VolGrad
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Mine arrived today as well. I pretty much second what G60 said. It works & it sticks out. I don't feel it sticks out any more than my extended GLOCK mag catches though so I don't expect I'll drop mags accidentally. I guess we'll see. I plan to shoot this gun at IDPA this weekend.

Spr1
02-28-2012, 05:35 AM
I tried one and it had quite a bit of play fore and aft and did not feel nearly as reliable as the stock one. You could rock it in the frame.

VolGrad
02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
I tried one and it had quite a bit of play fore and aft and did not feel nearly as reliable as the stock one. You could rock it in the frame.

I've heard of folks with issues with the Vickers ones for GLOCKs too but have had two good ones myself.

I will have to check my Catalyst again later but didn't notice any of this in the 3 minutes I played with it. I did do a few mag changes to make sure it released properly and held the mag properly when it wasn't supposed to release.

SouthNarc
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM

The pending ShivWorks mag release will deploy out of the frame on command and eye jab someone.:D

Jay Cunningham
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
The pending ShivWorks mag release will deploy out of the frame on command and eye jab someone.:D

I'll take seven!!

Joe Chen
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I really hope we have a naming contest for the Gadget, would be lots of fun. Green Thumb.

Tamara
04-29-2012, 02:41 PM
I haven't said it online anywhere but one of the first things I said to myself upon picking up my M&Ps is I would prefer an extended mag release of some sort. They feel like they are sort of nested in there. They are completely usable but I would prefer something that sticks out a bit more.

Now I feel bad because they obviously designed the factory mag release for me. It's, like, the first one in recent memory that I can hit easily without excessive juggling of the gun in my hand, and yet don't accidentally bump while shooting (which causes +1000 embarrassment points when the gun vomits its magazine mid-string, not to mention being a terrible faux pas at the ATM at 0300 hrs.)

JM Campbell
04-29-2012, 03:12 PM
I guess I have stubby thumbs, I prefer the Costa release. I have to shift my grip with the stock release.

It has worked well for me so far with no issues of unintentional mag release while holstered or during firing. I do carry AIWB and have a spare tire so it is pressed into my body every time I bump into something.

Now if SW would do a HK release like the P30 I would be in hog heaven.

Side note: on my M&P9 Shield I have no problem what so ever hitting the release (smaller/thinner frame).

YMMV.....obviously

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

VolGrad
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Side note: on my M&P9 Shield I have no problem what so ever hitting the release (smaller/thinner frame).

YMMV.....obviously

Same. I have no issues hitting the release on my M&P9c or Shield. It's just the M&P9fs. Interesting, I use a GLOCK ext mag catch on my G17s but use either the LAV or a std mag catch on my G19s.

JM Campbell
04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Guess I'm a card carrying member of the stub thumb club.

Like you I have no problems with the 9c release either, just with the FS.

Tamara
04-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I have no issues hitting the release on my M&P9c... It's just the M&P9fs. Interesting, I use a GLOCK ext mag catch on my G17s but use either the LAV or a std mag catch on my G19s.
Which illustrates that there's more than thumb length involved here, since the circumference is the same on both pairs of guns. Weird.

(I know that the M&P FS mag catch falls readily to thumb for me, but my G19 requires a bit of a shuffle. Go figure. :o )

JM Campbell
04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Twilight Zone????

VolGrad
04-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I kind of need the ext release on the 19 but it eats my support hand up. Doesn't bother me in the least on the 17.

ubervic
06-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I guess I have stubby thumbs, I prefer the Costa release. I have to shift my grip with the stock release.

It has worked well for me so far with no issues of unintentional mag release while holstered or during firing. I do carry AIWB and have a spare tire so it is pressed into my body every time I bump into something.

Now if SW would do a HK release like the P30 I would be in hog heaven.

I used to run a P2000SK and then a P30, and the paddle-style mag release design was a godsend for me with my short, stubby thumbs. I sold those off when I chose to get out of the pistol scene about 8 months ago. I recently decided that my getting out of pistols was a mistake (duh!), and I'm experimenting with a much less costly, pre-owned M&P.

This Catalyst works well for me on my new (to me) M&P9. I could not actuate its factory mag release without a significant shuffling of the grip. I'm going to study the contact area closely, as I suspect that the tip nearest the trigger guard could be contoured down without reducing effectiveness, which would simultaneously eliminate any contact with the support hand.

bdcheung
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Did the price go up? It's $28.95 now.

That's...expensive.

JHC
07-18-2012, 11:14 AM

For Gen 3's and earlier the Vickers trinket is cool.
For Gen 4's the newer Vickers trinket is not cool. Just not needed.
For the amazing "product improved Glock" the M&P? Its the fastest reloading pistol I've ever shot and I didn't think it needed this. So, uncool.

That's my scoresheet. ;)

JHC
07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

See now there is somebody adding value.