PDA

View Full Version : Which new 9mm would you recommend?

medsteele
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to handgun shooting. I'm not recoil-sensitive (shoot my hunting rifles a good bit), and I'm a big guy (5'11", 215lbs). But for my first handgun that I plan on keeping, I've been leaning towards 9mm due to the price of ammo and the controlability. I also have about 250 rounds of 9mm from the last handgun I owned, but if I would switch calibers it wouldn't bother me to give it to a friend of mine that shoots an XD9.

I want a gun for home defense and range time-- right now carrying is not a priority, though I may try carrying whatever I get down the line. Like I said though, I'm a big guy and am not worries about trying to comfortably carry a full-sized gun. My first choice is a Glock G17, but the reliability issues with new production models worries me. My second choice is an M&P9, but I don't reallu want to risk taking a 50/50 chance that it won't be accurate. I've heard some negative things about the XDm series here as well.

I'd like whatever I get to be reliable as hell, and tough to boot. That's why I leaned towards Glock, as I've seen the kind of abuse they take and the actual effort you have to expend to get those things to rust. Plus the aftermarket options and prices are unbelievable.

But would switching to .45acp be a better option? Yes, it's a little more expensive, but given my work schedule and the fact my son was born last month, I can't see me being able to shoot more than 1K rounds per month anyway. From what I hear, the G21 is running strong, as is the M&P45. Plus there's always the choice of a 1911 (which does require more maintenance to run reliably I know). I've always had the 1911 itch in the back of my head.

My budget is $700 or so preferrably. I bought a G17 December 2010 and I'm kicking myself for selling it now, because I was stupid then and didn't realize I bought a gen 3 when I'd wanted a gen 4. I'd love to have a pre-extractor change gen 3 now.

What're yiur thoughts?

DocGKR
02-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Look around and purchase a used 3rd gen G17.

Buy some more ammo.

Get some good training from someone in your neck of the woods.

JHC
02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Look around and purchase a used 3rd gen G17.

Buy some more ammo.

Get some good training from someone in your neck of the woods.

Word! A used G17 is not much of a "used" gun risk at all! Do this.

1986s4
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I like my HK P-30 that I found lightly used. But, a lightly used G17 is a great choice. Lots of mags, sights and other aftermarket stuff available.

deejai
02-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Have you checked out the Walther PPQ? I'm very satisfied with mine. Theres a long running thread on this forum about the PPQ, lots of good info.

JAD
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
If you really only ever want to have one pistol you could do worse than a G17. I know it's supposed to be ideal to only have one pistol, excepting a duplicate. However, I don't see anything wrong with a 17 now and a 1911 later, or vice versa. I would also get whichever one you /like/ better. People tend to shoot and take care of guns they like. The g21 is an excellent pistol too -- I wish I had the glove size to run one well.

Nephrology
02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
A used Glock 17 or Glock 19, 3rd generation is my top pick. They aren't really that hard to find if you look around.

Otherwise if I was in the market for a new 9mm platform the walther PPQ series is very intriguing.

Gary1911A1
02-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Have you checked out the Walther PPQ? I'm very satisfied with mine. Theres a long running thread on this forum about the PPQ, lots of good info.

I agree. My PPQ is more easy to shoot than any of my Glocks. The only downside is the cost of magazines, a lack of aftermarket parts, and holsters, but I expect that will be improving as the PPQ is that good.

JeffJ
02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
You should own a G17 or G19 anyway, even if you decide to go in another direction later - they are pretty common and very affordable on the used market, the aftermarket support is much better and they are very easy to work on. They are also such a common handgun that you'll be able to find other people who have holsters that you can borrow or buy which can save you a bundle since most pistol shooters end up making a pretty signifigant investment in holsters. I would stick to 9mm, even if you aren't shooting as much there isn't any reason to spend more to do it.

Cosmo M3
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM

I agree. My PPQ is more easy to shoot than any of my Glocks. The only downside is the cost of magazines, a lack of aftermarket parts, and holsters, but I expect that will be improving as the PPQ is that good.

the PPQ definitely has more noticeable muzzle flip compared to my Glock 19 and FNS-9. Since the OP is recoil sensitive, I would not recommend the PPQ albeit the other excellent qualities of the gun.

dookie1481
02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
the PPQ definitely has more noticeable muzzle flip compared to my Glock 19 and FNS-9. Since the OP is recoil sensitive, I would not recommend the PPQ albeit the other excellent qualities of the gun.

Actually he said that he is NOT recoil-sensitive.

TomN
02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
PPQ would be my suggestion also if you wanted to go with a new 9mm.

orionz06
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19Gen2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Handgun+Gen+2&groupid=6

Kyle Reese
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19Gen2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Handgun+Gen+2&groupid=6

Respring it, add your favorite sights and you're in business!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TNWNGR
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd go with a 4th Gen Glock 19 and shoot the hell out of it in every training course I could afford to attend. It's more than large enough to be a service
pistol but is just enough smaller than the G-17 to really notice a difference when you carry it all of the time. The 4th Gen Glock's just feel better in my
hands than the 3rd gen models do. Now that I've said this I'll tell you the best 9mm pistol I ever owned and shot was a Colt Series 70 Gov't Model, my
gunsmith said it was junk and not worh owning because it wasn't a 45 ACP. Not true, it was a tack driver with no recoil that was fun to shoot.

Long tom coffin
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Respring it, add your favorite sights and you're in business!

THIS.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I just ordered one, as well as a new RSA and springs from Glockparts.com.

ETA:

Just as an FYI, Glockmeister currently has a butt load of police trade in Gen 3 19's complete with night sights. These are also pre 2009 Gen 3's, probably the most GTG pistol ever made.

mwilt72
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Just as an FYI, Glockmeister currently has a butt load of police trade in Gen 3 19's complete with night sights. These are also pre 2009 Gen 3's, probably the most GTG pistol ever made.

I called Glockmeister to get one of these; they're sold out. I'd sure be interested if anyone finds another cache of these pre-"improvement" G19's. The pickings at the local gunstores are pretty slim and I've had my fill of the Gen4 extractor lottery.

DiscipulusArmorum
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I called Glockmeister to get one of these; they're sold out. I'd sure be interested if anyone finds another cache of these pre-"improvement" G19's. The pickings at the local gunstores are pretty slim and I've had my fill of the Gen4 extractor lottery.

Check with AIM Surplus. I believe they currently have some Gen 2s in stock and just sold out of some Gen 3s, which they seem to come across fairly regularly. I'd either grab the Gen 2 or use their "Notify Me" feature to be alerted when the Gen 3 trade-ins are back in stock.

LittleLebowski
02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
AIM surplus gen2 G19 is what I just bought

Gary1911A1
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

I would have thought that too, but with my grip and the S&B Ammo I was using I didn't notice more muzzle flip, but then again I didn't have my shot timer on me. One thing for sure of the various polymer striker fired pistols I have shot it has the best trigger of them all and that includes the M&P, Caracal and Glocks.

mlk18
02-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I would vote M&P 9mm. I know the forum chatter does not agree with my personal experience, but out of the 15 M&P's I have purchased (for myself and others) over the last 2 years I have not had a single one with accuracy issues, reliability issues or anything other than pure functionality and shootability. In fact the only notable difference between my old trusty Glock 17 and one of my newer M&P 9mm's is that the M&P fits my hand well. I am not saying you would go wrong with a G17, but you won't go wrong with an M&P either.

GJM
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
And you have shot all 15 pistols at 25 yards?

Kyle Reese
02-22-2012, 09:40 PM
I would vote M&P 9mm. I know the forum chatter does not agree with my personal experience, but out of the 15 M&P's I have purchased (for myself and others) over the last 2 years I have not had a single one with accuracy issues, reliability issues or anything other than pure functionality and shootability. In fact the only notable difference between my old trusty Glock 17 and one of my newer M&P 9mm's is that the M&P fits my hand well. I am not saying you would go wrong with a G17, but you won't go wrong with an M&P either.

You're very fortunate. The two full sized M&P 9's I used for about 15 months had very real POA/POI issues at distances exceeding 20 yards with a variety of ammunition types / bullet weights. This phenomenon was witnessed by other Staff members here during training / practice sessions, and ultimately lead me to divest from the M&P platform. The ergonomics , etc that you mention are all true.

I personally like the M&P, and would consider using them again if this situation is remedied.