PDA

View Full Version : What is PFestivus?

LG_rocks
07-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Clicking on the PFestivus banner/timer takes me nowhere.

HCM
07-14-2018, 11:07 AM
http://youtu.be/HX55AzGku5Y

blues
07-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Without PFestivus
There will be no more haikus
Peace in the valley

Spartan1980
07-14-2018, 11:44 AM
In general, we expect the members of PF to behave like adults, own their words, and not engage in the typical drive-by shit-posting and name calling that is prevalent pretty much everywhere else on the internet. In the past, PFestivus was an annual anything (within reason) goes, with no repercussions, airing of grievances -- both with mods and other members. People were encouraged, whenever things got a little too heated and pissy tones were taken, to "save it for PFestivus". The countdown timer automatically appears on the anniversary of the founding of PF (2011-02-25) and serves as a reminder to "save it for PFestivus" or to just not be too much of a dick in the first place.

I'm not sure what PFestivus will be (or even if it will be) in the future, but I guess I've got about two months to figure that out.

What a novel concept. Bravo!

Cheap Shot
07-14-2018, 01:12 PM
In general, we expect the members of PF to behave like adults, own their words, and not engage in the typical drive-by shit-posting and name calling that is prevalent pretty much everywhere else on the internet. In the past, PFestivus was an annual anything (within reason) goes, with no repercussions, airing of grievances -- both with mods and other members. People were encouraged, whenever things got a little too heated and pissy tones were taken, to "save it for PFestivus". The countdown timer automatically appears on the anniversary of the founding of PF (2011-02-25) and serves as a reminder to "save it for PFestivus" or to just not be too much of a dick in the first place.

I'm not sure what PFestivus will be (or even if it will be) in the future, but I guess I've got about two months to figure that out.

Pfestivus is what defines us as a community. Its the foundational bedrock of our collective belief system if you will

orionz06
07-14-2018, 03:06 PM
It was originally a thread where folks would actually air their grievances. So say someone always had a whiny bitch tone to their posts one could tell them that they hated their tone. Ideally folks would talk about it and perhaps find common ground. Another example might be that a cop with 5 years of experience needed to be told that his 5 years was shit and that all of the older cops disagreed with him and he needed to let adults talk.

As it stands the last few haven't been that. They turned into a buncha boomers writing out obnoxious haikus and a circle jerk of a thread. This is for a few reasons, I suspect, but it hasn't been what it could be. Part of it I suspect is fear of eventual repercussions in other ways. What you say will need to be answered for no matter what, PFestivus merely removed forum repercussions.

blues
07-14-2018, 03:53 PM
It was originally a thread where folks would actually air their grievances. So say someone always had a whiny bitch tone to their posts one could tell them that they hated their tone. Ideally folks would talk about it and perhaps find common ground. Another example might be that a cop with 5 years of experience needed to be told that his 5 years was shit and that all of the older cops disagreed with him and he needed to let adults talk.

As it stands the last few haven't been that. They turned into a buncha boomers writing out obnoxious haikus and a circle jerk of a thread. This is for a few reasons, I suspect, but it hasn't been what it could be. Part of it I suspect is fear of eventual repercussions in other ways. What you say will need to be answered for no matter what, PFestivus merely removed forum repercussions.

I've got some grievances with you, young buck. Answer or at least acknowledge your damn email. ;)

There, PFestivus is done for me now. :cool:

orionz06
07-14-2018, 03:59 PM
I've got some grievances with you, young buck. Answer or at least acknowledge your damn email. ;)

There, PFestivus is done for me now. :cool:

I have a draft that I was waiting on something to come in the mail to add to before sending... A few new things that I've been working on that you may like.

blues
07-14-2018, 04:01 PM
I have a draft that I was waiting on something to come in the mail to add to before sending... A few new things that I've been working on that you may like.

I forgive you. It's just that when I send you love on your OWB holster I used for my quals the other day, I expect you to drop everything and get back to me.

(Okay, I may be exaggerating on the requirement for dropping everything. But the holster was awesome.)

orionz06
07-14-2018, 04:02 PM
I forgive you. It's just that when I send you love on your OWB holster I used for my quals the other day, I expect you to drop everything and get back to me.

(Okay, I may be exaggerating on the requirement for dropping everything. But the holster was awesome.)

I ain't working on retiree time.

blues
07-14-2018, 04:03 PM

PFestivus is back on! (Damn young whippersnappers! The effrontery!)

revchuck38
07-14-2018, 05:44 PM

We all have our issues...:)

Retirement is awesome.

Cheap Shot
07-14-2018, 05:55 PM
PFestivus is back on! (Damn young whippersnappers! The effrontery!)

Just get a room already. The sexual tension between you two is making it awkward for the rest of us.......

blues
07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Just get a room already. The sexual tension between you two is making it awkward for the rest of us.......

That's a cheap shot...

(I'm really not that kind of dirty old man.)

RJ
07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Without PFestivus
Peace in the valley

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180714/a268f513b04de541ad596c018fbb590b.jpg

blues
07-14-2018, 06:00 PM
I don't know what you're getting at. It's Greek to me...

blues
07-14-2018, 06:03 PM
https://youtu.be/7traIjOYGvs

RJ
07-14-2018, 06:24 PM
I don't know what you're getting at. It's Greek to me...

I yield. :cool:

RJ
07-14-2018, 07:01 PM
I like the concept of Pfestivus.

From time to time I’ll see a post and think, “what an asshole! I’ll remember to mention that at Pfestivus! “ And of course I’ll have forgotten about it in a day or so.

In actual practice in the last couple, I’ve got nothing to say, really. P-F is pretty stable, with the highest signal to noise ratio on the Gunternet.

Of course, if there were, say, high-quality Orange Pistol Forum Shooting hats available for purchase, soon(tm), I could subtly display my tribal identify. That would be pretty cool. :cool:

orionz06
07-14-2018, 08:57 PM
I like the concept of Pfestivus.

I think a fair amount of stuff went away with a few people. Some of it was kinda resolved when a bunch of people met each other a few times. Some of it will always be there just because. As Tom mentioned, perhaps it needs to be different next time.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Personally I think Pfestivus just needs to be whatever it is, and you can't overthink it. Does it turn into a love-in for a bunch of people who've met in person? Sure, maybe. Or a surreal poetry experience for some? I guess so. But what happens at Pfestivus will just happen and it will be different for different people every year and you can't try to fix that or make it be a specific kind of experience for everyone. It's just an annual event at which people let loose, and depending on what everyone's year has been like, the kinds of feelings they'll need to unleash will be different. It's a good chance for otherwise buttoned-down PFCers to haze newbs or post drunk; it's a time when new posters might reveal some human quirk that endears them to long-time contributors.

No need to make it be a specific thing. It's a moment when things get slightly out of control; why try to control it? Celebrate the chaos. Have another beer/whiskey/huff of glue and just check out the action.

At least, that's my philosophy, as a guy who's spent most of the year so far gluing bits of wood together.

BehindBlueI's
07-15-2018, 08:15 AM
At least, that's my philosophy, as a guy who's spent most of the year so far gluing bits of wood together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAwuSK36Gw

Drang
08-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Can we get a decision from the judges?
'Cuz I'm not gonna lie, I'm really feeling the Pfestivus Spirit...

Cheap Shot
08-04-2018, 09:09 PM
PFestivus is a go. Same format as usual. misanthropist convinced me with his post (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32064-What-is-PFestivus&p=762574&viewfull=1#post762574) above.

And may God have mercy on our Souls.......

Drang
08-04-2018, 09:14 PM
PFestivus is a go. Same format as usual. misanthropist convinced with his post (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32064-What-is-PFestivus&p=762574&viewfull=1#post762574) above.
Huzzah!

I shall endeavor to hold it in until then. :p Hopefully multiple natural disasters will not conspire to deprive me of my opportunity to vent this year...

blues
08-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Huzzah!

I shall endeavor to hold it in until then. :p Hopefully multiple natural disasters will not conspire to deprive me of my opportunity to vent this year...

There once was a member named Drang,

To whom PFestivus was more than a thang,

He asked Tom Jones "please",

Not quite down on his knees,

And now his blown top has gone TWANG!

Shotgun
08-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Without PFestivus
Peace in the valley

Now where is that unlike button........

blues
08-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Now where is that unlike button........

Sure, kick a dead man while he's down...

:p

Shotgun
08-05-2018, 11:12 PM
PFestivus is a go. Same format as usual. misanthropist convinced me with his post (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32064-What-is-PFestivus&p=762574&viewfull=1#post762574) above.

Predictions:

The first haiku occurs on page 1.
Drunk PFestivus begins on Friday night rather than Saturday.
People start talking about food by page 20.
After recommending PFestivus, Misanthropist, following a bout of glue sniffing, stays over at Burning Man and misses PFestivus altogether. (Don’t really know when Burning Man is.)

Sure, kick a dead man while he's down...

:p

It was just an out of body experience. Jennifer Love Hewitt says you’re fine now.

blues
08-05-2018, 11:38 PM
It was just an out of body experience. Jennifer Love Hewitt says you’re fine now.

She would know.

Bucky
08-06-2018, 11:04 AM
At least we don't have to buy gifts.:p

Chance
08-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I was watching that Netflix documentary 'Wild, Wild Country,' and when they got to the part with the "Dynamic Meditation" / melee / orgy I thought, "This is exactly like PFestivus."

Seemed to work pretty well for the Rajneeshees though, right up until the biological warfare and assassinations and stuff.

Maple Syrup Actual
08-06-2018, 10:11 PM

It's not a good sign if I've convinced someone to do something. That almost universally comes with provisos like "recovery time is mostly pretty quick...mostly" or "try using mental checklists to keep track of whether the person you're talking to genuinely exists, and keep your speeds below 35, unless you're in the left lane, in which case really hammer it."

blues
08-06-2018, 10:23 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1hyx6m.jpg

Maple Syrup Actual
08-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Well, you never go broke betting on "business as usual".

Or "misanthropist wants to talk about some weird thing he's doing".

https://imgur.com/nEiaWzG.jpg

orionz06
08-07-2018, 07:02 AM
It's not a good sign if I've convinced someone to do something. That almost universally comes with provisos like "recovery time is mostly pretty quick...mostly" or "try using mental checklists to keep track of whether the person you're talking to genuinely exists, and keep your speeds below 35, unless you're in the left lane, in which case really hammer it."

I will personally hold you accountable for every fucking haiku there is.

Shotgun
08-07-2018, 09:46 AM

I’m not sure how one holds another accountable for haiku’s written by yet others. The idea is intriguing, however, and PFestivus just got a little more interesting. Is there to be a fight after school lets out or a pay per view cage match perhaps?

JAD
08-07-2018, 09:50 AM

If pfestivus continues for more than four hours, see a doctor.

blues
08-07-2018, 10:00 AM

I’m not sure how one holds another accountable for haiku’s written by yet others. The idea is intriguing, however, and PFestivus just got a little more interesting. Is there to be a fight after school lets out or a pay per view cage match perhaps?

Tom holds you liable.

The gauntlet now has been thrown.

Don't wear your school pants.

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2018, 10:21 AM
I’m not sure how one holds another accountable for haiku’s written by yet others.

It's easy. I hold blues responsible for every pun. Not just on PF, but globally. I believe he's Patient Zero.

Shotgun
08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Tom holds you liable.

That's really, really bad. Liable is pronounced with three syllables by the way, not two. But, I suppose that is "artistic" license. I hate to even respond to a haiku post for fear of catching PF haikuitus.

It's easy. I hold blues responsible for every pun. Not just on PF, but globally. I believe he's Patient Zero.

I think Stephanie B. may have been patient zero for the PF haikuitus epidemic.

orionz06
08-07-2018, 11:00 AM

I was hoping that I could just whine about it enough beforehand that folks decided that they'd not do it. I haven't really thought of a plan...

Tom holds you liable.

Sigh....

blues
08-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Both of ya...behind P.S. 165 @ 3.30 Don't be late and don't hide behind your sisters.

blues
08-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Doesn't seem quite fair, BBI. I don't hold you responsible for every...well, you know.

Can't I just be executed for my own sins, or be considered "one of the good ones"?

Starting to feel a little like Diogenes must've felt.

(yeah, yeah, sarcasm.)

Shotgun
08-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Both of ya...behind P.S. 165 @ 3.30 Don't be late and don't hide behind your sisters.

I will see you in 37 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes..................

And, there will be no sympathy for having been mostly dead.

That Guy
08-07-2018, 12:15 PM
$1 per haiku, $2 for each incorrectly formed haiku.

Tom asks me to pay.
Oh, how little does he know!
Wallet is empty.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

blues
08-07-2018, 12:16 PM
In that case, Elvis Tom,...you should be saying:

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/elvis-in-heart-america.jpg

"Haiku...haiku very much!"

(Best I can do under stress of a looming dentist appointment this afternoon. I know...those puns and haikus are like having teeth pulled. Misery loves company.)

SeriousStudent
08-07-2018, 12:33 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1hyx6m.jpg

It's all fun and games till someone losses an eye...then it's a new game, called "Find the Eye."

Learned that many years ago as an NCO.

HCountyGuy
08-07-2018, 02:02 PM
$1 per haiku, $2 for each incorrectly formed haiku. Proceeds go towards:

What if one were to write in Iambic Pentameter?

orionz06
08-07-2018, 03:41 PM

You evil sonofabitch!

peterb
08-07-2018, 05:19 PM
The owner of this pistol forum
Said “Haikus? Oh what rot! I abhor ‘em!
And if any come in
They’ll help pay for my Sinn
Which makes up for the lack of decorum.”

blues
08-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Haiku-rate...be careful how you use it!

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/097_Hai-Karate-Valerie-Leon.jpg

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Doesn't seem quite fair, BBI.

The only thing in life that's fair comes to the county once a year and has a merry-go-round.:p

blues
08-07-2018, 07:54 PM
The only thing in life that's fair comes to the county once a year and has a merry-go-round.:p

We have a fair, and a "Mayberry's" (https://www.mayberrys.co/info.html) too!

RJ
08-07-2018, 08:57 PM

How much is “Belly Gun”?

*ducks and runs* :cool:

Shotgun
08-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Never heard of these watches. This one looks very nice. Someone who can communicate in non-haiku please educate me about what is special about these watches.

orionz06
08-07-2018, 10:46 PM
It's a glorious watch that would be perfect for not only me but for DSG as an advertising prop and I've been too poor to be able to swing it.

That Guy
08-07-2018, 11:15 PM
Never heard of these watches. This one looks very nice. Someone who can communicate in non-haiku please educate me about what is special about these watches.I think you should look up that watch (Sinn U1) for yourself. But, in short:

Sinn is a fairly small German watch company that has made watches for, among others, GSG9. They make very high quality watches that are rated to function in some ridiculously extreme conditions. The U1 is a mechanical watch made of German U-boat steel and rated water tight down to a depth of to 1000 meters. And as you can see, aside from the hideous color in this special edition, the U1 has a very distinct and clean looking watch face.

So,it has a little bit of everything. A tactical pedigree (for those who care about that), rugged high quality construction, good looks. Definitely on my list of things to buy once I become a millionaire. Not in that color though, obviously. [emoji14]

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
08-08-2018, 12:19 AM
We have a fair, and a "Mayberry's" (https://www.mayberrys.co/info.html) too!

Another definition: "Fair is a place where fat animals stand around and win prizes."

blues
08-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Another definition: "Fair is a place where fat animals stand around and win prizes."

Knew there was a reason I avoided such gatherings.

blues
08-08-2018, 07:53 AM
It's a glorious watch that would be perfect for not only me but for DSG as an advertising prop and I've been too poor to be able to swing it.

That's a Sinn.

Drang
08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Trade him for holsters. :p

RJ
08-08-2018, 08:31 PM
I forgot to mention one thing about PFestivus I like - it serves as an annual reminder to renew my Site Supporter status.

Which occurs around the same time as my USPSA membership renewal. Which is not great for my monthly hobby allowance, but at least I don’t forget.

orionz06
08-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Trade him for holsters. :p

If that would work....

Robinson
08-14-2018, 10:06 AM
I hope this year there are some obscure bourbon-fueled PFysics jokes to participate in again like in a PFestivus of yore, because I'm not getting baited into stupid arguments again. Probably.

blues
08-14-2018, 10:11 AM
I hope this year there are some obscure bourbon-fueled PFysics jokes to participate in again like in a PFestivus of yore, because I'm not getting baited into stupid arguments again. Probably.

https://media.giphy.com/media/vWDrezW0rMjmM/giphy.gif

Robinson
08-14-2018, 10:17 AM
You tryin' to start somethin' ?

blues
08-14-2018, 10:18 AM
You tryin' to start somethin' ?

Moi? Surely you jest. ;)

Gun Mutt
08-14-2018, 10:46 AM
He dudn't like being called Shirley...just sayin.

Shotgun
08-14-2018, 09:28 PM
I have forgotten. Does Tom hand out the gifts on PFestivus Eve or PFestivus morning?

HCM
08-15-2018, 12:19 AM
I have forgotten. Does Tom hand out the gifts on PFestivus Eve or PFestivus morning?

After the feats of strength.

LG_rocks
08-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Not at all what I was expecting.

RJ
08-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Not at all what I was expecting.

You know, it never is. [emoji4]

It just occurred to me that on 9/14 I will be on the way to a family reunion and will likely miss the Pfestivities.

However: I also discovered on my laptop a file containing a lengthy diatribe I had penned in 2017 when I was traveling in the RV, but never posted at PFestivus last September. Surprisingly so for me, I let out my inner asshole.

My plan is to roll that grenade in this year, pull the pin and run. So I got that going for me. [emoji41]

Drang
09-03-2018, 04:47 AM
Eleven days and three hours. I predict that one of the several nascent hurricanes/tropical storms will cause me to miss Pfestivus again. :(

(The bright side is that it's likely to be Hawaii this time, the Eastern Pacific is far more active than the Atlantic this year. OTOH, there's that Tropical Depression forming off Hispaniola, supposed to be a Tropical Storm by the time it hits the keys Wednesday...)

Hambo
09-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Eleven days and three hours. I predict that one of the several nascent hurricanes/tropical storms will cause me to miss Pfestivus again. :(

(The bright side is that it's likely to be Hawaii this time, the Eastern Pacific is far more active than the Atlantic this year. OTOH, there's that Tropical Depression forming off Hispaniola, supposed to be a Tropical Storm by the time it hits the keys Wednesday...)

Due south of me now and rain forecast for the day, but that's it. It's that wave coming off the coast of Africa that could fuck up PFestivus for me, but in the spirit of PFestivus I'll pirate somebody's WiFi and fling a little poo.

Drang
09-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Due south of me now and rain forecast for the day, but that's it. It's that wave coming off the coast of Africa that could fuck up PFestivus for me, but in the spirit of PFestivus I'll pirate somebody's WiFi and fling a little poo.

If you're talking about Gordon-to-be, they say that it could develop into a hurricane, which would happen just in time for me to lose internet access due to deploying. Which is what happened last year.

Or, Olivia could hang in there and hammer Hawaii. Or Jebi could reverse course and hit Guam instead of Japan.

Consider this an early airing of grievances, just in case Mother Nature inflicts a feat of strength on us all.

Hambo
09-03-2018, 06:48 AM
If you're talking about Gordon-to-be, they say that it could develop into a hurricane, which would happen just in time for me to lose internet access due to deploying. Which is what happened last year.

Or, Olivia could hang in there and hammer Hawaii. Or Jebi could reverse course and hit Guam instead of Japan.

Consider this an early airing of grievances, just in case Mother Nature inflicts a feat of strength on us all.

Roger that. A grievance about not being able to air grievances.

blues
09-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Roger that. A grievance about not being able to air grievances.

Drive up here, Hambo. We have a guest room with its own bath downstairs and you don't even have to fiddle with a bidet.

Just bring one sheet of TP for each day you intend to visit. ;)

Hambo
09-03-2018, 08:42 AM
Drive up here, Hambo. We have a guest room with its own bath downstairs and you don't even have to fiddle with a bidet.

Just bring one sheet of TP for each day you intend to visit. ;)

No need for my own bathroom or TP. I'll just use your mail. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSNvtzqeJY

blues
09-03-2018, 08:45 AM
That'll work.

Balisong
09-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Wouldn't that make it a tax write-off?

orionz06
09-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Wouldn't that make it a tax write-off?

Yes, but it needs to be paid for first...

Balisong
09-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Yes, but it needs to be paid for first...

Minor details like that may have something to do with my constant state of debt