PDA

View Full Version : Tough matte black finish

JodyH
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a Walther P99 slide that I want to get refinished in matte black.
Any recommendations?

Sparks2112
02-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Mark Housel does an excellent Cerakote at a great price. I can also say on a personal level he's an amazing guy and will be the only smith I give any of my or my shop's business to in the future.

Odin Bravo One
02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Mark Blythe of GOE Gunworks does good DuraCoat work at great prices.

I am also a huge fan of Krylon.

Al T.
02-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Jody,

I'm going to get this done on one of mine soon:

http://coalcreekarmory.com/custom_finishing.html#Melonite

JodyH
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
The slide started out as a matte silver slide that I had re-finished by CCR in OD green to match the OD green frame.
I'm now wanting it stripped and refinished closer to what the original "P99 Military" slide's finish was (smooth matte black).

secondstoryguy
02-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I've done the Melonite thing on several 1911s. It's expensive but works very well. Robar's NP3 is also nice.

Savage Hands
02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Ionbond DLC is also a great option.

fuse
02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Always been enamored with black-T

SecondsCount
02-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Ionbond DLC is also a great option.

I would second this based on the responses of people that have had it done.

Suvorov
02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I've done the Melonite thing on several 1911s. It's expensive but works very well. Robar's NP3 is also nice.

This is the route I will be taking when I have my 1006 refinished. I have gone the PTFE route and the Black T route and none of these are as good in my opinion as the factory Melonite finishes I have seen.

TGS
02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Jody,

I thought the P99 was already nitrocarburized from the factory, but maybe I'm mistaken.

If it is, there's no point in sending it for melonite since it's already nitrocarburized. Refreshing the factory look could be done with black oxide (a more robust type of bluing, such as our P2000). GGI markets their "Superblack" finish for this purpose. A good parkerizing job could also do it........depends on what the top coat from the factory was, and whether you want it to perfectly match the original.

If not, nitrocarburizing (melonite) with a black oxide or park'd surface is without doubt the best treatment to protect steel......but it also can't be performed on smaller parts. If you get IonBond or Black-T, it can be applied to small parts, also giving them protection beyond what they already had.......most likely black oxide or parkerizing. I'd be surprised if the slide wasn't already nitrocarburized from the factory, though.

If you're going for factory, I don't know how cerakote, duracoat, krylon and especially NP3 are good options. spray'n'bake finishes like cerakote and duracoat suck, anyway.

JodyH
02-19-2012, 10:10 PM
This slide was a QPQ (Quench Polish Quench) nitrocarburized (Tenifer in this case) slide that S&W sent me as a replacement for the original black slide which had a small manufacturing defect.
Black slides were on a months long backorder at the time (2000) and they had the silver on the shelf so I had them send it to me and I had it finished in OD.
What I'm looking for is basically a H&K smooth black finish on top of the existing Tenifer.

Like this:

btw: The P99 Military is still the best looking pistol ever made IMO.
:cool:

Savage Hands
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
IMO, Ionbond DLC over QPQ or Hard Chrome is the ultimate finish and metal treatment. QPQ treats the metal pretty well as is but even Glock parkerizes or uses a teflon coating on top of their barrels and slides so why not use Ionbond DLC which is a high tech version of parkerization that is very tough and very slick. Here's my old Thunder Ranch Special in matte Ionbond DLC but is shiny due to the oil absorbed. If it's bone dry it looks like charcoal.

TGS
02-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Personally, that dry charcoal look of Ionbond gives me chills down my spine just from looking at it......makes me think of someone scratching a chalkboard. It's definitely a great finish, though.

I think you should call up GGI for their "Superblack" black oxide. It won't have the awesome corrosion protection of Ionbond or Black-T, but you also live in NM and the major components are already QPQ'd, so it's not going to make a difference. Their black oxide only runs about $50 for a slide, and while not as durable as Ionbond it will look more original. On the flip side, while Black-T will look fairly original, it isn't going to wear less than black oxide, either.......most people say it shows wear very quickly.

ADKilla
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Another vote for IonBond