PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Glock Trigger Assembly Without Removing From Frame?

Larry T
07-07-2018, 10:32 AM
The Glock trigger is to be routinely lubed at the intersection of the trigger bar and connector. It's expected that there should be some build-up over time. What is your preferred way to clean out the gunk without removing the trigger assembly from the frame?

41magfan
07-07-2018, 11:10 AM
I only have one method of cleaning guns and that's thoroughly and completely. Most people just move the gunk around instead of removing it, which speaks well for most pistol designs.

A military ammo can serves well as a cleaning tank filled with enough solvent to get the parts/frame/slide assembly really wet. Some parts and assemblies are even left to soak for a period of time.

A good scrubbing with a soft bristle toothbrush will get most of the gunk dislodged. Follow-up with a good blast of Gunscrubber (or something equivalent) or even compressed air. Finish with a final wipe down and you're ready to re-lube and re-assemble.

I can thoroughly clean a pistol and several magazines in less than 15 minutes.

ST911
07-07-2018, 11:45 AM
The Glock trigger is to be routinely lubed at the intersection of the trigger bar and connector. It's expected that there should be some build-up over time. What is your preferred way to clean out the gunk without removing the trigger assembly from the frame?

I don't worry about it, and just wait for the detail strip and inspection interval. If you insist, blast it out with some compressed air or aerosol cleaners.

JonInWA
07-07-2018, 12:26 PM
I do the detailed disassembly on my Glocks annually, at which time the connector/triggerbar interface surfaces are given a light coat to either Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 or TW25B. That seem to work just fine, and both are pervasive enough to basically remain and place and effectively lube the surfaces concerned until the next annual arrives.

Best, Jon

JCS
07-07-2018, 12:34 PM
I don't worry about it, and just wait for the detail strip and inspection interval. If you insist, blast it out with some compressed air or aerosol cleaners.

What is the detail strip interval?

mark7
07-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Not advocating it, here's the trigger assembly from a G17 that wasn't detailed stripped in 18 years. The blaster still ran flawlessly. I had this 17 to install new Ameriglo sights. This pistol was THEE dirtiest one I've ever encountered and still ran like a champ.

blues
07-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Rode hard and put away wet. Ain't no nevermind.

Clusterfrack
07-07-2018, 12:59 PM
For a whole-lower cleaning, I like a heated bath of MPro 7 or SimpleGreen Aircraft cleaner. Scrub with toothbrush. Blow with compressed air, let dry. Then lubricate.

Carb cleaner / Gunscrubber is nasty shit. I only use that crap for extractors or other hard to reach areas if really gunked up.

theJanitor
07-07-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm allergic to cleaning guns, so I use stuff like this. It's safe for plastics and electronics. and it has enough pressure to dislodge grime and gunk. There's no gun, that you're actually willing to carry around, that would be nastier than a Nitro RC car. Wear goggles, of course.

JBP55
07-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I detail strip my Glocks several times a year and clean everything including the frame with Weapon Shield
Wipe down and lubricate using TW25B on the connector and Mobil 1 20W50 VTWIN elsewhere.
Between cleaning put a drop of Mobil 1 on the connector as needed with a needle oiler.

fixer
07-08-2018, 09:32 AM
I grab a can of powder blast and hose off the lower section. I do this about 2-3 times a year on my training guns coinciding with a detailed strip and clean of the slide.

RJ
07-08-2018, 11:27 AM
On topic: I’ve got a can of non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and a 5 Gallon bucket.

I do a field strip then hose out the frame in the bucket. I guess I’m hoping it’s clean. Then I lube per the manual and reassemble.

Off Topic: What do you guys think of the Glock Armorers course for a noob? I was thinking $250 and 8 hours to learn the innards of my two Glocks (G19/26) would be effort well spent. Thoughts?

41magfan
07-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Gunscrubber, Brake Cleaner, and other aerosol cleaners work well enough but I've been using this and I really like it. It's sole sourced by Alex Hamilton (Ten-Ring Precision) and he tells me when it's gone there will be no more, so I bought a case of the stuff.

I thought it worth mentioning that I use these aerosol products as a "flush" - not so much as a "cleaner". I get the gunk dislodged with solvent and brushes and then use this sparingly (it only takes a few short blast) as a final rinse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/ldt4Nq.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plldt4Nqj)

JTQ
07-08-2018, 11:55 AM
I completely get the desire for an aerosol to hose down stuff to make cleaning easier, especially on some hard to reach pieces, but I don't get the desire to completely degrease a part that I want to have lube on. There are lots of aerosol CLP's that won't take off every last drop of lube, and will clean the part just fine, and most likely aren't nearly as toxic as the typical degreaser.

JustOneGun
07-08-2018, 01:48 PM
For me(i.e. a lazy person),

1. Use training gun. Shoot carry gun just twice per year. This doesn't solve the problem but it slows it down.
2. Use grease instead of oil for the connector. Less migration of lubricant and the fouling that sticks to it.
3. Lubricate less stuff. I haven't lubricated the connector in my Glocks for well over 10 years. Just not needed for my pistol and how I use it. YMMV.
4. Detail strip and clean pistol on a regular basis that fits the exposure your pistol gets.
5. Use less lubricant on your carry pistol than you would during practice. Will it consistently fire all the ammo you carry if you get in a shooting? Glocks and most modern pistols will fire 50 rounds every time with a dry gun. I used to use way too much oil.
6. I know a lot of competition shooters want that trigger as perfect as they can get. If it is that important to them my suggestion is to not be lazy about cleaning the parts. Get good at detail stripping the gun and as someone said, not just move the debris around inside.

MSparks909
07-08-2018, 02:15 PM
On topic: I’ve got a can of non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and a 5 Gallon bucket.

I do a field strip then hose out the frame in the bucket. I guess I’m hoping it’s clean. Then I lube per the manual and reassemble.

Off Topic: What do you guys think of the Glock Armorers course for a noob? I was thinking $250 and 8 hours to learn the innards of my two Glocks (G19/26) would be effort well spent. Thoughts?

IMO save your money and just hop on YouTube and watch a few detail strip videos.

JBP55
07-08-2018, 03:35 PM
IMO save your money and just hop on YouTube and watch a few detail strip videos.

I have been a Glock Armorer for quite a while and did not learn anything in the classes because I had been working on Glocks long before taking the classes.
I only stay qualified as a Glock Armorer in order to work on Local LEA Glocks.

SilentSc0rch
07-08-2018, 03:48 PM
I'll be honest, I did use an aerosol once to blow out the lower of my PPQ, just because it's a little more complicated to detail strip that thing. But when it comes to Glocks; they're so easy to disassemble that I just pop the pins out.