PDA

View Full Version : July Rangemaster Newsletter

Tom Givens
07-04-2018, 03:10 PM
The July issue of Rangemaster’s monthly newsletter has been posted at

http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-07_RFTS-Newsletter.pdf

Lynn and I wish you all a happy Independence Day!

msstate56
07-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Good info as always. Ive got a few questions if you don’t mind- On your “speed reload” are you teaching to dump the partial mag on the ground? That’s how I read it, just wanted to make sure. Do you teach or advocate for any reload with retention? I understand the usefulness of getting the gun back up as quickly as possible. Like in USPSA, where we dump the partial mag and move on with a full pistol to the next shooting position. But I’m LE, and I’ve never trained to dump a partial mag in any LE oriented training. I’ve always been taught to retain that partial mag (like IDPA). Is this something you think should change/ be added to LE training? Thanks for your time.

Tom Givens
07-05-2018, 08:26 PM
That all varies greatly depending on context.

Military- try really hard to retain magazines, as the fight might last for days, not seconds. When the supply guys bring more ammo it won't be in magazines, so you have to keep yours, if possible.

Police- retained partial magazine makes sense, if it can be retained without tying up too much time. In a running gunbattle you could need those retained rounds, due to a duty to pursue bad guys. This leads to higher round count events spread over time. Less of an issue if you
a. learn to hit
b. carry several spare magazines.

Civilian self defense- No one has ever found a case where rounds in a partial, retained magazine were used or needed. I'd rather see the training time/effort spent on more important things.

Make sense?

john c
07-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Tom;

In the shotgun article, you mention that shotguns aren't drop safe. Does this apply to all shotguns, or just specific models? Is it the lack of a a firing pin block? Also, how much of an impact is required before one will ignite a primer in a fall?

Thanks

Tom Givens
07-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Tom;

In the shotgun article, you mention that shotguns aren't drop safe. Does this apply to all shotguns, or just specific models? Is it the lack of a a firing pin block? Also, how much of an impact is required before one will ignite a primer in a fall?

Thanks

That's pretty much all shotguns. The push button safeties don't really do anything but block motion of the trigger. Impact needed for discharge depends on the angle, hardness of surface, etc.

TheNewbie
07-06-2018, 01:34 AM
I like the mention of Bill Davidson. He's an interesting guy to meet.

That Guy
07-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Tom;

Thanks

I'm not Tom, but:

The only "drop safe" shotgun I know of is the Mossberg 590.

msstate56
07-07-2018, 11:59 PM
Thank you Tom. Yes that all makes sense. Mag changes definitely need to be applied according to the context of your particular situation. I guess the big picture take away is learn to use the reload that is the most appropriate at that time and situation. I think it’s important to train, at least in my LE context, that sometimes it’s ok to dump a partial mag. I just don’t want some officers thinking that they must always retain their partial mag, which obviously adds time. But that’s the way most are trained.

RJ
07-08-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks Tom.

I found the section on chamber checking carry ammo very useful, and will be doing this from now on.