PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting out of ARs.

M2CattleCo
07-03-2018, 09:04 PM
I’ve been an AR guy for over a decade. I’ve had every configuration from a basic Colt 6920 to a 20” SPR and literally almost everything in between. I know the platform inside and out. I carried one daily in the ‘08-‘11 years and have put well over 100K rounds through them in training. I’ve shot matches, shoot houses, training classes taught by and taken with some of the world’s best.

But for the past 4 years I just can’t get into it anymore. I’m not going back to the desert, I don’t, and won’t, have time to get back into match shooting, and I don’t even have fun shooting here on my own land. I pretty much confirm zero and I’m ready to pack it up.

Part of me says ‘What if th SHTF?’ Other part says ‘Your carry pistols are all you really need and are adequate, dedicate yourself to those.’

Anyone else not into long guns at all? Is there any compelling reason to keep these things around? I could sure use the extra space, the extra cash, and the feeling of freedom from ‘more stuff’.

HCM
07-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Rifles in general are useful. ARs in particular are very user friendly. Add familiarity (I’ve been shooting AR pattern rifles since 1984).

If I had to cull my long guns down to one, an AR would be the keeper.

Duelist
07-03-2018, 09:31 PM
There is something compelling about simplicity. But then there is something compelling about having a rifle, too. I’d keep one.

How many do you have? I have a buddy who got crazy into ARs. Had any configuration you could think of, a variety of calibers, SBRs, auto sears, suppressors, etc. He could have bought another house for cash for the money he had in them. 40+, IIRC.

He still has at least 10. I have 2, and just ordered a different 5.56 upper. I will likely confirm that I like the new upper, and then either sell or change how my other 5.56 upper is configured, but I don’t feel compelled to accumulate more parts and have 3 complete rifles.

If they don’t do anything for you, dump them. Maybe keep one for ... reasons. It’ll be cheaper to keep one and some gear you already have than to buy it again later. Market is kind of flush with used ARs right now. Bet you won’t get as much for them as you would have in early November 2016.

Malamute
07-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Rifles in general are useful. ARs in particular are very user friendly. Add familiarity (I’ve been shooting AR pattern rifles since 1984).

If I had to cull my long guns down to one, an AR would be the keeper.

Im about the opposite, I could do fine with no AR, and have off and on over time, though they have certain uses. I find myself rarely shooting and never carrying one. I liked them better when surplus ammo was cheap and easily available. When money was tight selling the AR was not too hard. Selling an old Winchester carbine is much harder to envision.

Rifles are useful, though not always the same uses for various people. A scoped hunting rifle and/or a Winchester carbine could do most of what Id need to do. Even if i'm not hunting much, I want the option.

Rather than totally get out of ARs, perhaps just scale back to a single basic gun, dozen or so mags, and case or two of ammo put away for a rainy day and go on.

miller_man
07-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Anyone else not into long guns at all? Is there any compelling reason to keep these things around? I could sure use the extra space, the extra cash, and the feeling of freedom from ‘more stuff’.

I have 1 AR, a case or so of ammo for it and plan to get one more (backup and all). Couple shotguns and a couple 10/22's. Other than that I could absolutely care less about rifles. I shoot any rifle maybe 2-3 times a year. I'm all in on pistols but have very little interest in rifles, other than being very basically competent with one.

rcbusmc24
07-03-2018, 09:41 PM
I've got 147 guns at home right now, with a LTT 92 on the way, 21 of those guns are AR's in 5.56, everything from 10.3 in MK18's to a 20 in M16A4 clone just like I had issued to me in 2004. PCS moves are a pain in the ass, thankfully they are keeping me in NC this time around.... for now. of all the guns that I have, you know which ones I shoot the most? My PX4CC and Beretta 92's both for carry, training and USPSA/IDPA, My K and L frame smiths and a new production Marlin 1894c in .357 mag I just got a hold of..... All the tactical AR stuff, I do go to classes and bring one to the range with me to practice with, but that's for "work proficiency" due to being a infantryman still. I get most of my fun from guns out of pistols anymore, Not planning on getting rid of anything, Right now you can't really sell a AR for much any way's, at least where I am located....

I have a friend who's father ran a gun store in the 80's and 90's after he retired from the Army tell me a few years ago that " all of them were a burden anymore" referring to his collection as he tried to pare it down to what he really valued vice all the stuff he had accumulated. The guy literally had a shipping container full of classic pre ban Assault rifles NIB, No Lock Smiths NIB and all the other things from the 60's through early 90's that all gun guy's lust after, and most of it he just wanted gone so he didn't have to deal with it anymore.... I didn't really understand at the time but now I do a bit.

VT1032
07-03-2018, 09:42 PM
I don't particularly enjoy shooting them compared to handguns but I'd never not have one, just for the what if factor alone. There is something about 30rnds of 5.56 bonded jsp on tap that gives me a warm fuzzy when things go bump in the night.

LJP
07-03-2018, 09:43 PM
I would keep at least one quality general purpose AR in the safe. You just never know. And, of course, two is one and one is none. I don’t know your age, but I have discovered the hobbies and interests come and go. One other point to consider is that future legislation that may make acquiring a new AR more expensive or outright illegal. However, more often than not, existing property is grandfathered in. By way of example, I have the rifles that I do because I acquired them before my accursed state of residence banned them virtually overnight. I can still buy a pre-ban at an exorbitant premium, but fortunately, I have spare lowers in the safe. Still have two virgin lowers in the safe for my kids. Just some rambling thoughts on the subject. Keep at least one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
07-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Im about the opposite, I could do fine with no AR, and have off and on over time, though they have certain uses. I find myself rarely shooting and never carrying one. I liked them better when surplus ammo was cheap and easily available. When money was tight selling the AR was not too hard. Selling an old Winchester carbine is much harder to envision.

Rifles are useful, though not always the same uses for various people. A scoped hunting rifle and/or a Winchester carbine could do most of what Id need to do. Even if i'm not hunting much, I want the option.

Rather than totally get out of ARs, perhaps just scale back to a single basic gun, dozen or so mags, case or two and ammo put away for a rainy day and go on.

Which one do you shoot better ? Lever gun or AR? If your answer is a lever gun then that makes the most sense, but for me the answer is I shoot ARs best. For me choosing a lever gun would be putting nostalgia over performance. YMMV.

A 16” free float AR with a good LPV optic can do everything I need (or may need) a rifle to do.

GJM
07-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Shooting PCC for a past season in USPSA, and then watching many other shooters compete with a carbine this year, has fully convinced me of the advisability, whenever possible, of taking a carbine to a pistol fight.

M2CattleCo
07-03-2018, 10:00 PM
I have three uppers, four lowers, and a bunch of spare parts to keep them going into eternity.

I’m almost 40 and feel like the closet full of gun stuff owns me as I’m always thinking about it and dragging it out to practice with it isn’t enjoyable anymore.

I do agree. If you’re gonna get a gunfight, bring a long gun. An AR in particular. But if I’m going to use one in a firefight, it’s going to have to happen at my house, when I’m there. Which is rare. Maybe 150 days out of the year.

Malamute
07-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Which one do you shoot better ? Lever gun or AR? If your answer is a lever gun then that makes the most sense, but for me the answer is I shoot ARs best. For me choosing a lever gun would be putting nostalgia over performance. YMMV.

A 16” free float AR with a good LPV optic can do everything I need (or may need) a rifle to do.

Depends on what you wish to do with them. Mechanical accuracy, the ARs are generally better, but the highest level of accuracy isnt required for acceptable field use. Ease of carry, heavier calibers in normal guns, ease of use with various loads from mouse level on up, the lever is superior for my uses. Both are OK on shooting running rabbits, but living on the edge of grizzly country, Id rather carry a 30-30, 44 mag or 45-70 than 5.56.

Yes, there are heavy caliber AR uppers, but for myself, Id rather buy another bolt or lever rifle than another upper for an AR. Peoples values vary. I dont value whatever ARs seem to offer many people enough to spend the require level to do all those things, and dont really like carrying them very much compared to levers and bolts. They have a very valid place, its just not at the top of my list or priorities.

HCM
07-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Depends on what you wish to do with them. Mechanical accuracy, the ARs are generally better, but the highest level of accuracy isnt required for acceptable field use. Ease of carry, heavier calibers in normal guns, ease of use with various loads from mouse level on up, the lever is superior for my uses. Both are OK on shooting running rabbits, but living on the edge of grizzly country, Id rather carry a 30-30, 44 mag or 45-70 than 5.56.

Yes, there are heavy caliber AR uppers, but for myself, Id rather buy another bolt or lever rifle than another upper for an AR. Peoples values vary. I dont value whatever ARs seem to offer many people enough to spend the require level to do all those things, and dont really like carrying them very much compared to levers and bolts. They have a very valid place, its just not at the top of my list or priorities.

I was speaking of 5.56 ARs and practical accuracy not necessarily mechanical accuracy. A properly balanced 5.56 AR is a joy to shoot in the same way an older well balanced Winchester lever gun is. Tapered barrels such as the Noveske and newer BCM profiles are a big help here are lighter and thinner free float Hand guards.

AR-10s lack that grace but in TX there is nothing which a 5.56 and proper ammo selection can’t handle.

Malamute
07-03-2018, 10:12 PM
I have three uppers, four lowers, and a bunch of spare parts to keep them going into eternity.

I’m almost 40 and feel like the closet full of gun stuff owns me as I’m always thinking about it and dragging it out to practice with it isn’t enjoyable anymore.

I do agree. If you’re gonna get a gunfight, bring a long gun. An AR in particular. But if I’m going to use one in a firefight, it’s going to have to happen at my house, when I’m there. Which is rare. Maybe 150 days out of the year.

It would seem that simplifying, a little, or a lot, would benefit you in your situation.

Your situation may change again one day, but if selling most or all of the AR stuff would give you more freedom, both from the feeling of being burdened by it all, and the freeing up if cash, its probably a win.

blues
07-03-2018, 10:21 PM
I like to cover the basic food groups and not much more.

An AR. A shotgun. Couple of revolvers. Three pistols.

http://tribeswells.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Simple-Button-300x298.jpg

FNFAN
07-03-2018, 10:23 PM
I have little use for my tan 6920 and it pretty much sits in the corner of the safe ignored, but I'd never get rid of it. I enjoy handgun shooting and that's my focus.

underhook
07-03-2018, 10:34 PM

I'd ask what else is going in your life? If you're feeling down and owned, leave the safe closed and go take up BJJ or something active.

M2CattleCo
07-03-2018, 10:59 PM
I'd ask what else is going in your life? If you're feeling down and owned, leave the safe closed and go take up BJJ or something active.

I have quite a bit going on at the moment. I’m in the process of buying an aerial application business, I have an awesome wife, an almost 3 year old son, a 10 year old daughter, I’m usually in the gym lifting 3 days a week, usually biking with the kids when I get a day off.

I have a lot of fun, I fly airplanes and shoot guns at work, just not feeling the ARs anymore.

Duelist
07-03-2018, 11:14 PM
I have quite a bit going on at the moment. I’m in the process of buying an aerial application business, I have an awesome wife, an almost 3 year old son, a 10 year old daughter, I’m usually in the gym lifting 3 days a week, usually biking with the kids when I get a day off.

I have a lot of fun, I fly airplanes and shoot guns at work, just not feeling the ARs anymore.

Leave them in the safe and ignore them for a while, then.

I hunt deer, and sometimes get crazy and hunt elk. I don’t need an AR to do either, but can use one for that. I’d rather use a bolt gun. I trust my long range precision with one more. OTOH, I haven’t worked long range precision with a scoped AR nearly as much as I have a turn bolt.

All that is to say, I “need” at least one rifle. Before I started this round of school, I shot rifles year round, but I can count on one hand the number of times one has made it to the range with me in the last 18 months. If I don’t get a deer tag, I probably won’t shoot my non-5.56 and .22 rifles at all till next summer.

I’ll pull them out and clean and lube, and stick them back in the safe till I have time for them.

MGW
07-03-2018, 11:27 PM
Sounds like you need a PCC or a 22. I’ve plinked with a 22 AR at a steel challenge match and it was a blast. Pretty sure I’m going to buy an AR in 22 next and possibly a PCC just for fun.

I get it. I rarely touch my ARs. Matter of fact I’m down to one complete AR, an M&P Magpul MOE edition. I don’t particularly even like it but it was cheap and getting rid of I doesn’t make any sense. I’ll probably put together something I like and pass the Smith on to my son.

Lester Polfus
07-03-2018, 11:50 PM
I sold mine in 2008 when life circumstances forced some radical simplicity for a while. I learned a bunch in that period. For a while, I felt like I "needed" to buy another AR-15, then realized I really didn't. For one thing, when I owned the AR, I constantly had some new doo-dad for it in mind.

My 30-30 lever gun on the other hand, is one of the last things I'd part with. It's an excellent fit for the way I actually live.

RevolverRob
07-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Sounds like you need a PCC or a 22. I’ve plinked with a 22 AR at a steel challenge match and it was a blast. Pretty sure I’m going to buy an AR in 22 next and possibly a PCC just for fun.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

For me, rifle shooting that isn't precision is pretty "meh". I know some guys like to go out and hose targets and LARP it up. That's cool, but it isn't me. If I'm going to shoot a long gun for fun, it will be a pistol-caliber gun. They're remarkably fun to to try to run fast and get moving. I love my little AR9 and I love submachine guns too. For a variety of reasons, cheaper to shoot, more comfortable to shoot, quieter, easier to suppress to make them even more quiet. I find the 9mm AR to be close to my ideal gun for work inside of 100 yards.

I may build another one and put one of those silly binary triggers in it, because 115-grain 9mm is just that cheap...

underhook
07-04-2018, 12:31 AM

If all is good, I'd say just leave them in the safe. Value is in the can at the moment. Wait until a D gets in the Whitehouse again and the values go up.

Mark D
07-04-2018, 01:30 AM
Four lowers and three uppers? That shouldn't take up too much room. Just hold onto them and ignore them. That's what I do with my long guns.

You won't get much money selling them in this market. And someday semi-auto rifles will probably be hard to get.

critter
07-04-2018, 01:39 AM
If all is good, I'd say just leave them in the safe. Value is in the can at the moment. Wait until a D gets in the Whitehouse again and the values go up.

That would be my suggestion as well.

BehindBlueI's
07-04-2018, 05:12 AM
They aren't eating anything. Unless you need the cash right now for something, leave them be. They aren't likely to go down in value. Maybe you take them back up, maybe you don't, but you leave yourself the option and you've got an asset that will likely increase in value over the next X years.

mmc45414
07-04-2018, 05:16 AM
What is weird about me is that I am really emotionally attached to handguns, and I want things that I have no real need for just because I wanna. But my rifles and shotguns are like power tools, and I don't have any interest in having more than one Sawzall. Your thing might be as much a urge to simplify as much as dumping the AR specifically.

Right now I have an M1-A and a 20g A400 I am half ass trying to sell. Have the M1-A cause all my buddies had them and I got one when I could. Got the shotgun when I thought I "needed" a 20g auto to go with my 12g auto. Now both are just shit I don't need, and if I could sell them I could spend the money on pistols that give me the jollies. Or a motorcycle. But as others mentioned, this plan will probably hit a brick wall when you actually start trying to sell them right now, you would have to really want them to go away to take what you could probably get. If I am able to see either of these it will probably be for about 60% of what I paid for them.

PS: I am another 9mm AR lover, if you are setup shooting plates with your pistol you can run the same targets with it.

nightstalker865
07-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Do you have any steel targets setup on your land? If my only option was bench shooting and/or shooting cardboard/paper, I doubt I would own anything but an EDC gun.

NH Shooter
07-04-2018, 07:31 AM
I've been down the AR road for over 20 years. Like you, I've tried many different configurations and have spent more $$ on them than I care to admit.

Like you, I consider the pistol as the most likely firearm I would use in a self-defense scenario. I also spend far more time shooting them than my AR.

Appreciating the value of owning a reliable AR, I still have one: it's a teir-1 (BCM complete rifle) KISS 16" carbine. Iron sights, a WML set up, a sling. It mostly sits in the back of the safe. It's certainly not an inexpensive gun, but I don't have so much wrapped up in it that I lose any sleep.

There's a certain appeal to owning a simple, reliable and accurate sub 7-pound AR carbine - even if it doesn't get much use. If I had to get rid of every other long gun, having just the AR would not leave me at any significant disadvantage.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/bcmcarbine-1.jpg

TGS
07-04-2018, 07:40 AM
If you get rid of them, you're only going to get nostalgic and buy another sometime in the future.

Im with everyone else that suggests waiting until value goes up before selling, but if you have to get rid of them now due to space or simplifying your life reasons, keep atleast one.

Hambo
07-04-2018, 08:15 AM
If you get rid of them, you're only going to get nostalgic and buy another sometime in the future.

Not necessarily. The main reason I ever bought and AR was because I was using M4s at work. Then I got into competition. When I retired I also got bored with 3 gun and sold a few. I didn't shoot my last AR so I finally dumped it and haven't felt a longing for one since.

-I never had any great love for them.
-I can solve realistic threat problems with a pistol or shotgun.
-For hunting I prefer TC Encores or bolt guns.

DamonL
07-04-2018, 08:26 AM
I see the problem here. You need to buy this and take the wife and kids shooting.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-22-sport

Once they are hooked, each one gets their own AR from your existing arsenal.

The extra lower is converted to a pistol caliber carbine to save some ammo costs when they want to shoot more then you. You only only have to buy another AR to accomplish all this. :)

Ok, seriously, I go through different phases of my gun hobby. This year it's shotguns. I bought a Beretta 1301T and took it to a couple shotgun classes for fun. I still have a shotgun from my interest from a few years ago. Years ago it was AR carbines. Before that it was precision bolt guns. Etc. etc. I still have guns from those different phases and have sold guns from those times, too. So whatever you decide is fine, but I would keep at least two (One is none, two is one) so if the AR bug hits you again in a couple of years you are not reinvesting.

Robinson
07-04-2018, 09:46 AM
I like ARs but my first preference is for lever guns. I don't own either at this point, because I stopped shooting them much due to my hearing problems. I own a single rifle because I think a rifle is a useful thing to have. It's a suppressed bolt gun configured in such a way as to be handy and easy to carry and shoot.

LSP552
07-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Ive scaled back to one AR, a BCM RECCE. I shot ARs a LOT for work and basically had unlimited range time and free ammo. After I retired, they just couldn’t compete for my range time. I sold a few but won’t be selling the RECCE, even though I don’t shoot it much. For me, it’s like a first aid kit. I might need it one day but about all I do is keep things from expiring.

I enjoy shooting and working pistols, so that’s what gets my time. Also, at this point in my life, I’m wayyy more likely to need to use one of those for real than a rifle.

I find bolt guns and lever guns just more fun. And my rifle shooting now is about fun and hunting.

Cory
07-04-2018, 10:40 AM
My passion in shooting is definetly handguns.

I have a huge want list, but really only think of these as the core want to get group for ARs (I've only got 1 at the moment and it needs changes to be useful):
- 5.56 AR in SBR or Pistol configuration (Red Dot)
- 5.56 AR FSP with Kac freefloat (Acog with RMR)
- 308 AR freefloat with magnified optic.

I think of handguns as my defensive guns and what Im passionate about.
I think of ARs as the ideal defensive gun that will likely be unavailable, that could occasionally be used for hunting. I like them from my time in service.
I think of shotguns as my hunting guns, and my first love. I grew up using them for everything from fun shooting to hunting. I feel like they're sporting guns that can be pressed into any role and do okay.

I'd like a hand full, but they arent something Im passionate about. I know I want/need a few but I'm not attached to them or sentimental.

Do what you like. No shame in that.

-Cory

pangloss
07-04-2018, 10:43 AM
This isn't an all or nothing decision. You could always keep the two you like the most and sell the others, or just sell the upper that doesn't have a dedicated lower. I have guns that I go years without shooting. They only bother me because I don't have room for them in the safe, so they are in my closet.

ralph
07-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Myself, I'd never go without at least one good one, by that I mean something quality wise on the level of Colt, DD, BCM.I, probably like everyone else here, remember all too well the AWB, And, while most states don't have one now, the first time we get a Dem president with a majority Dem congress, and you can bet your ass that there will be a new AWB signed into law 15 minutes after he/she is sworn in.. I remember pre ban Colt 6920's going for $3k, and people lining up to buy them, when one came up for sale, and 30rnd mags going for whatever the market would bear..Knowing what happened in the past, and knowing the level of violence the younger, new breed of commie/ democrat is capable of, Yeah, I'd keep at least one, maybe two in the safe, along with a plie of mags and a stash of ammo. Look at it like a insurance policy, you may never need it, but it's there if you do.. Put 'em in the safe, make sure they're zero'd,and hang on to them, they're not going to cost you anything, but, if you need them, they're there..

ETA;
OP, I reread your post, and your third paragraph, is important..What if the SHTF? Looking around the country now, I'm beginning to think that's it's possible, with the Democratic party going full retard towards communism,people like Maxine Waters calling for confrontations, which at some point will turn violent, and they seem to be itching for violence. You think a pistol is going to be adequate? It might get you out of a spot or two, but a rifle like an AR, buys you space, time, and is a force multiplier.. like I said above, it's an insurance policy.. you may never need it, but, it's there if you do..

ST911
07-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Shooting carbines, legit or LARPing, is easier, less humbling, cooler-looking, and useful. Rifles take less PM to keep decent baseline skill than handguns. Consider what level of performance you want, and do that.
It's always easier to keep something you've paid for than buy it again. Unless you know you're checking out, keep them.
Your rifle will be completely unavailable or inaccessible during the likeliest deadly force problems. Double-down on your handgun skills.
If bored with run-and-gun carbine, try precision AR. I did this a few years ago and there's a lot of crossover back to the close(r) quarters stuff.

DocGKR
07-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Let's see--you are considering getting rid of the most ergonomic, popular, adaptable, and effective defensive rifle produced to date; one where there are plentiful stocks of parts, magazines, and ammunition for long term service.....hmmmm, maybe not a wise idea. Keep the AR15's. Every qualified American should own an AR15. Perhaps more Americans have been trained to safely operate the AR15 than any other firearm. There are approximately 25 million American veterans who have been taught how to properly use an AR15 type rifle through their military training, not to mention in excess of 1 million American LE officers who have qualified on the AR15 over the last several decades. In addition, there are numerous civilian target shooters and hunters who routinely use AR15's. In many ways, the AR15 is the ubiquitous "Brown Bess" musket or Winchester repeating rifle of the modern era—a true firearm for the people. The AR15 is a highly versatile design that can be adapted for military, law enforcement, civilian self-defense, hunting, target shooting, and other sporting purposes. Yeah....keep it.

WobblyPossum
07-04-2018, 01:16 PM
My passion for shooting also focuses on pistols. I have two ARs and probably put a couple of hundred rounds a year combined through them. I use one as my patrol and home defense rifle so it’s worth having them to me. Several factors come together to make sure the rifles don’t see a lot of use: I don’t get a ton of enjoyment from shooting them, the ammo is 50% more expensive than 9mm ammo, and I always have a pistol on me but am rarely within arms reach of an AR so if I have to use a gun to save my life, it will almost certainly be a pistol. Those factors lead me to dedicate what limited live fire opportunities I get to the pistol.

Still, I wouldn’t want to be caught without a rifle if I wanted or needed one. With so many on the left pushing to ban semi autos right now, you might not be able to get another AR to replace one if you sell it. If you do decide to sell, I recommend keeping one or two of the complete rifles and selling the other rifle and the lower that doesn’t have an upper. That way, if you get into a phase where ARs are fun again, you’ll still have one or two. Also, maybe wait to sell them because right now he market is over saturated and it’ll be tough to get what they’re worth. I’d only sell them right now if there was another pressing expense you needed to take care of.

I’ve found I actually have more fun building ARs than shooting them. A year and a half ago, I bought a spare BCG which somehow turned into a complete rifle. I’ve since sold that for almost what I had into it. Recently I’ve picked up a spare lower and am building it into a pistol.

Rex G
07-04-2018, 01:17 PM
I have used my truck’s spare tire only once, in four years. I have shoes, and so could have walked, while rolling the flat tire to the nearest tire shop. I think I will get rid of that spare tire.

Edited to add: OK, seriously, I might never have bought my first AR, a Colt Govt Carbine, had it not been to use as a police patrol rifle. I am now retired from LEO-ing. I have no particular love for black-colored rifles, or the .223/5.56. I consider a couple of shotguns, plus a few single shot and lever rifles, entirely adequate for my “needs.” Lever and single-shot rifles are certainly more “fun.” My present, modestly-adorned BCM Lightweight Middy, however, will stay, and I will probably get at least one more modest upper, to complete another of my spare complete BCM lowers. Because, well, emergency equipment, and general principle.

GJM
07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Thee was some mention of an AR in 9mm earlier in this thread. While I dig a 9mm carbine for training and USPSA competition, the AR in 5.56 is more reliable, generally softer shooting, more accurate, packs a bigger punch, and has a far greater useful range.

Doc_Glock
07-04-2018, 05:40 PM
I understand the OP’s sentiment.

A rifle, particularly an AR, is better for almost any firearm needs situation than a pistol. But they have to be pretty much in hand at that time. Who in the civilian, non LE world will have one in hand when needed? Almost no one.

So I would work the pistol regularly, air out the AR a couple times a year and keep at least one AR.

LockedBreech
07-04-2018, 06:15 PM
I like having my basic, high quality, 16" AR (Daniel Defense M4V1)

I have never been significantly tempted to get another. Like a 12-gauge or a .357/.38 revolver, it's a valuable collection staple, but my passion is semiauto pistols.

JAD
07-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Don’t sell guns that work.

GardoneVT
07-04-2018, 08:19 PM
I understand the OP’s sentiment.

A rifle, particularly an AR, is better for almost any firearm needs situation than a pistol. But they have to be pretty much in hand at that time. Who in the civilian, non LE world will have one in hand when needed? Almost no one.

So I would work the pistol regularly, air out the AR a couple times a year and keep at least one AR.

Unless you’re in Rual USA and 30 minutes + away from first responders . A long gun becomes rather valuable in that and many other circumstances.

Trukinjp13
07-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Unless you’re in Rual USA and 30 minutes + away from first responders . A long gun becomes rather valuable in that and many other circumstances.

I concur with this statement. I had always had the 12g for hd. But after more time behind my ar I realized I should go with the flow. It is much easier for the wife to shoot. Holds a hell of a lot more rounds. Is easier on the budget to train with. Can double as a critter getter. I have one ar right now. Planning on getting a ar10 soon. But as far as general rifle use the 5.56 gets the nod. I love mine, its soft shooting and extremely accurate. My savage 99 may hold sentimental value. But practically speaking it is far far outclassed.

I agree the most civvies are not going to be getting a gunfight with a ar in public. But as far as at home, I would rather grab it then a pistol if there is a bump in the night. The police are a long ways from my house.

Spartan1980
07-04-2018, 08:41 PM
In many ways, the AR15 is the ubiquitous "Brown Bess" musket or Winchester repeating rifle of the modern era—a true firearm for the people.

I've been saying this for a few years now.

O4L
07-04-2018, 08:49 PM
I would keep at least two with several magazines and plenty of ammo.

It's good to have them around the house in case you ever have to go up against a bad guy with a high capacity rifle.

As someone already mentioned...Two is one and one is none.

deputyG23
07-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Like many here, my passion is handgun shooting and the long guns get ignored for the most part. I have a DCM service grade Winchester Garand that hasn’t been to the range since ‘14. I just haven’t had the desire to load or buy ammo at about 70 cents per round. One of my Sergeants at work has offered me a very fair price for it and I might just let it go.
There are now three ARs in the house- two that are slinged and sighted and ready to work if needed. The first is a 20” Colt A2 Sporter that was a nuclear power plant security trade in gun. The last two Armalite Defenders were bought at a great price and one is staying NIB for now waiting for the next panic.
I cannot transfer any of the ARs to my son who lives in MD unless I have them made MD compliant.
I probably would have never bought the ARs if the politicians had left them alone.
My work does not issue or authorize any sort of rifle and I already had more .30 caliber deer rifles than I could ever use.
As others have said, AR prices are low now. I am not selling mine in this current market.
If the market goes nuts again, the NIB Armalite will go and maybe one more if the money is right.

schüler
07-04-2018, 09:13 PM
LSP552, BBIs, DocGKR and others are on the money - The rifles are very hard to get and feed during times they are highly valued, wanted or needed. There's a low percentage possibility of it being used in a citizen role... yet if you ever need it you won't find it helpful if it's dissembled or worst - unobtainable.

You've made a smart citizen investment that doesn't take up much room. Nothing wrong with simplifying, maximizing value and putting extra funds elsewhere. Store the extra few dissembled elsewhere if you need to.

Clusterfrack
07-04-2018, 09:25 PM
I was camping solo in the high desert waiting for buddies to show up the next day. At around 1:00am I awoke to headlights and the sound of a big pickup revving. I bailed out of my tent in my underwear with an AR. Pickup immediately reversed and roared off.

I always like to have a long gun when camping.

M2CattleCo
07-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Ok. Y’all talked me off the edge. I have one AR complete with optic and a light and it’ll stay fo HD and I’ll just close the safe on the rest of the things to save for later.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-04-2018, 09:35 PM
I would absolutely keep one well setup AR-15. Yea you’re not likely to ever need it but having a rifle you’ve already paid for lay around the house costs you absolutely nothing and in the event you ever need it, you’ll be really glad you have it.

RevolverRob
07-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Thee was some mention of an AR in 9mm earlier in this thread. While I dig a 9mm carbine for training and USPSA competition, the AR in 5.56 is more reliable, generally softer shooting, more accurate, packs a bigger punch, and has a far greater useful range.

Completely concur. Suggestion for AR9 was just to convince one to shoot a rifle, when they find rifles boring to shoot. I find the AR9 to be more fun to shoot than a 5.56 gun and therefore I am more likely to shoot it.

In terms of performance, rifles beat pistol (calibers) any day of the week.

I like to keep one of each around. An AR9 handles most anything I need for <100 yards of work (pest control), but beyond that range and above ~100 pounds of weight moving to a proper AR15 in 5.56 is absolutely necessary.

Rex G
07-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Unless you’re in Rural USA and 30 minutes + away from first responders . A long gun becomes rather valuable in that and many other circumstances.

I was big-city LEO-ing, until my retirement earlier this year. Houston PD. I do not think that one has to be in a rural area to experience half-hour response times. Normally, yes, response to emergencies is in the five/ten-minute range, but something like a big crash, with a fuel/chemical spill, an OIS, or several little cluster-fracks happening within a short period of time, can quickly occupy all available folks. It can, then, be difficult to pull people away when yet another emergency occurs.

It does not help that fewer folks see law enforcement as a desirable career. Police departments are having to do more, with fewer people.

rob_s
07-05-2018, 04:54 AM
Glad to see you’re keeping them.

I have had quite a few ARs go throug my hands, and at one time was considered somewhat knowledgeable about them. Since we moved further away from a range and the kids reached an age where they are little time-thieves (happily so!) I haven’t shot much at all, let alone the ARs. Mine are now mostly “old busted” since most of the “new hotness” looks stupid as shit to me. I doubt I’d get pennies on the dollar for what I’ve got. But I’m not selling.

Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a dimmed TA33? I’ve had it so long the tritium doesn’t appear to glow anymore. I also have more incandescent Surefire than you can shake a stick at, and a bunch of Picatinny handguards...

JHC
07-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Glad to see you’re keeping them.

I have had quite a few ARs go throug my hands, and at one time was considered somewhat knowledgeable about them. Since we moved further away from a range and the kids reached an age where they are little time-thieves (happily so!) I haven’t shot much at all, let alone the ARs. Mine are now mostly “old busted” since most of the “new hotness” looks stupid as shit to me. I doubt I’d get pennies on the dollar for what I’ve got. But I’m not selling.

Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a dimmed TA33? I’ve had it so long the tritium doesn’t appear to glow anymore. I also have more incandescent Surefire than you can shake a stick at, and a bunch of Picatinny handguards...

Your TA33 reviews were instrumental in my getting one. What a great mini-ACOG! My younger has it now and took it on his AFG strip. He's loves that thing.

David S.
07-05-2018, 06:53 AM
maybe.

WRT the OP. I’m in a similar boat. My only AR has seen daylight only once or twice in the last ten years. I don’t have convenient long gun facilities available to me. One of these days I should take a carbine class, but it’s so far down my list that it keeps getting bumped.

I have a gauge for HD. The AR would have to be dusted off, optic battery replaced and rezeroed Teotwawki.

Mjolnir
07-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Just bought a Power Ball (or whatever the Heck it was: $256M).

I thought: “what would you do?”

Two Mk12s builds
Two 14.5”/16” builds ( check )

1-6x or 1-8x on the Mk12s
Aimpoint CompM4 or M5 on the others.

Two of each:

Glock 19X ( check )
CZ P-10 ( check )
CZ P-07s (check )
Springfield TRP Pro ( cannot justify the $$$ )

Then I’d go purchase a Yeti Mountain Bike, a high end hardtail XC Bike and upgrade my cyclocross bike (wheels, brakes) and I’d go riding.

Guns are NOT my PASSION. I feel that they are necessary but I don’t find myself thinking about them like I do bicycles or sports cars or... traveling (like the vast herd of sheep on the planet).

I feel the OP.

I’d keep a rifle for every adult in the house then add one more.

Maybe a spare upper and small parts.

Broom what YOU sense is no longer of value to you. You’ll feel better.

Malamute
07-05-2018, 03:38 PM

Have any DD Omega 12" made for a 20" rifle?