PDA

View Full Version : RFI: PA Non-Resident LTC Renewal?

LJP
07-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Perhaps someone can answer this for me. I have a PA non-resident carry permit issued from Lebanon County. I received my renewal packet in the mail today and it’s clear as mud. Do I actually have to renew it in person, or can I do so by mail? I’ll call the Sheriff’s office tomorrow to inquire, but I thought someone here might know. Gonna be a pain if I have to drive five hours to renew. Considering the low cost, I would like to keep it. I like PA for a lot of reasons and can envision future family vacations there. Unfortunately, they do not offer reciprocity with CT...

Thanks,
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Smith
07-02-2018, 09:39 PM
My non-resident PA permit expired a year or so ago - seems the legislature decided you have to show up in person to renew. As I mentioned, it's been a while so maybe the law has changed but by your reading of the renewal packet, it doesn't sound like it.

Jason M
07-03-2018, 12:47 AM
The process is largely up to the Sheriff of the county in which you make application. All will require in-person applications. Many do not do non-resident applications. Delaware Co does (unless something has changed) and would be closer to you than Lebanon Co. The extreme north-eastern counties would be closer still. Check with Susquehanna, Wayne, Pike, Monroe, and Northampton counties... Save you some miles.

MEH
07-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Yep, it's up to the individual Sheriff of the county. Some make you apply and pickup in person. Some you can do in 1 visit, others may take two. Some won't do non-resident at all. I applied in via the mail in Adams County and drove to pick it up a couple weeks later. Look around on the Sheriff's websites of the closest counties and pick the one best for you.

LJP
07-04-2018, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I called yesterday and did indeed confirm that I have to appear in person. Which I’ll probably wind up doing... I know there may be closer counties, but I figure I might as well stay with what I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk