PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Ruger American Rimfire/Centerfire

Crow Hunter
07-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Looking for information/experiences with these rifles.

I am interested in getting a hunting battery of rifles that use as close to identical feed/safety operation as possible in .22 LR (18"bbl), .22 Mag (22" bbl), .223 (AR Mag Predator) and .243 (AI Mag Predator).

This would pretty much cover all my hunting/shooting bases that are currently covered with a variety of bolt, lever, and semi rifles that I shoot seldom enough that I have been known to get a click instead of a bang because I missed switching off a safety because I don't use them enough to have unconscious competence (I am looking at you M39a/M336:rolleyes:).

I like the fact that the Rugers are relatively light weight and share a tang safety location and they have a short bolt arc. I also like the magazine options (AR,AI and 10/22).

I have played with them on several occasions in gun shops and I like the way they feel.

I am not expecting/needing benchrest quality as most of my shooting will be plinking/hunting related but I want good enough quality that if I miss, I know it was because I screwed up not because the gun shoots patterns instead of groups.

It would also be nice if they shot .22 Automatch and 40 gr CCI HP .22 Mags decently since I have a fairly nice stock of those rounds.

So how is the quality/your experiences with them?

bruceride
07-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Have a 7mm-08 Ruger American Rifle. I have it topped with a 3x9 Redfield scope. It's a shooter if I do my part. It particularly agrees with Remington Core-Lokt 140 grain ammunition.

Had an initial problem with the rifle not wanting to hold zero. Apparently there was a known issue at the time (like 5 years ago) with some stocks not allowing the barrel to free float. Called Ruger and they had me send the rifle back, and replaced my blued rifle with a stainless one for my trouble. Quick and very polite service. It's my backup / loaner rifle for deer. I'm really happy with how it shoots.

Hope this helps

leathermaneod
07-02-2018, 01:22 PM
I don’t have a ton of experience, but I can tell you that I like my wife’s Ruger American better than a Remington 700 ADL I used to own. I think they are awesome rifles, especially for the price! I really like the magazine options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobM
07-02-2018, 06:16 PM
I have the compact rimfires in both lr and magnum, both with threaded barrels. I like them a lot. The magnum so far has been shot and used and carried more. It has a 2-7 Leupold Rimfire scope on it. Prone off a bipod it has shoots well although I can’t recall group size. I have some newer ammo to test, I’ll try to do that soon.

Crow Hunter
07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
I have the compact rimfires in both lr and magnum, both with threaded barrels. I like them a lot. The magnum so far has been shot and used and carried more. It has a 2-7 Leupold Rimfire scope on it. Prone off a bipod it has shoots well although I can’t recall group size. I have some newer ammo to test, I’ll try to do that soon.

The ones with no sights and factory scope bases and the larger bolt knobs?

I was leaning towards those in stainless as well but I can't find any around to see in person. Only ones I have been able to find are the open sighted "standard" models with the round bolt head.

I have also never used a .22 mag with that short of a barrel. My old Marlin 25M has a 22" bbl IIRC. How loud is it?

I am not as worried about terminal performance as noise. I use the magnum quite a bit for varmint control around the house (mostly muskrats in the lake) and I would prefer not to have to hunt around for earplugs/muffs when I notice a target of opportunity swimming in the open as I walk by the back door.

littlejerry
07-02-2018, 09:59 PM
RAR rimfire safety doesn't lock the bolt. For me that ruins it for hunting. Accuracy was acceptable for a budget rimfire rifle, but nothing impressive.

You might consider looking at a Tikka T1x and T3x combo.

Crow Hunter
07-03-2018, 07:43 AM
RAR rimfire safety doesn't lock the bolt. For me that ruins it for hunting. Accuracy was acceptable for a budget rimfire rifle, but nothing impressive.

You might consider looking at a Tikka T1x and T3x combo.

I thought about that but apparently there is something wrong with the T1x and it has had a significant delay in production (Sept release at this time). Originally it was said that it was a customs problem and the would be released soon but apparently that is incorrect and it is a production problem instead. Plus they aren't releasing a .22 Mag to start with. :(

But, there are a couple of other options that have similar operating safeties to the Tikka that I have been looking at. The Steyr Zephyr II and the Lithgow 101. The Steyr is pretty high on my list right now but man that is pretty expensive for a .22. It would probably be worth it but I am afraid I would be concentrating on protecting the rifle more than what I am trying to shoot. :)

I am still looking at it/thinking about it.

I really like the weight and size factor of the Browning T-Bolt but don't like the action, I like the accuracy reputation for the cost of the CZ but don't like the safety and bolt clearance, like the form factor and bolt action and weight of the Ruger but don't like the accuracy reputation and build quality.

No one makes my perfect gun. :)

BobM
07-03-2018, 09:01 AM
The ones with no sights and factory scope bases and the larger bolt knobs?

I was leaning towards those in stainless as well but I can't find any around to see in person. Only ones I have been able to find are the open sighted "standard" models with the round bolt head.

I have also never used a .22 mag with that short of a barrel. My old Marlin 25M has a 22" bbl IIRC. How loud is it?

I am not as worried about terminal performance as noise. I use the magnum quite a bit for varmint control around the house (mostly muskrats in the lake) and I would prefer not to have to hunt around for earplugs/muffs when I notice a target of opportunity swimming in the open as I walk by the back door.

Mine have the regular knob and iron sights.

I don't think I've shot the magnum unsuppressed in a long time. I do have some lower velocity ammothat I plan to try, that migh help with the noise.

BobM
07-03-2018, 09:02 AM

You might consider looking at a Tikka T1x and T3x combo..

The bolt not locking is annoying.