PDA

View Full Version : J-frame went for a swim

mtnbkr
06-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Today a buddy and I went for a 6.7 mile kayak trip down a local river. I packed my little j-frame loaded with a couple snake-shot rounds in case we had to discourage cottonmouths from boarding. However, within the first 100yds, where you have to traverse a small fall-line rapid, I managed to get myself hung sideways on a rock and filled my boat with water. Luckily, it was shallow there, so I was able to drag it to a small island , empty the boat, and continue on with our journey. My sensitive stuff (Phone, wallet, etc) were stored in waterproof bags, but the gun was not, so I shook it out as best I could and kept on trucking...err paddling. :rolleyes:

Once I got home 5hrs later, I stripped it down to the component parts, wiped everything down, and left it to dry. The carnage is below:

Otherwise, the trip was uneventful and a great way to spend a day. :D

It's an Airweight and well lubed internally, so I don't expect there to be any long term ramifications, just the hassle of the tear-down, clean, lube, and reassembly. Grips are Crimson Trace LG-105s and don't seem to be any worse for wear from their dunking.

We did see a cottonmouth, but it was already dead, likely killed by someone fishing from the banks where we found it.

Chris

RoyGBiv
06-30-2018, 03:32 PM
Compressed air any nooks and crannies.

mtnbkr
06-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Compressed air any nooks and crannies.

Already did that. What looks "wet" in the frame is actually grease I haven't wiped out yet. It'll get a more thorough nook & cranny cleaning later today. For now, I'm relaxing and surfing the web. :D

Chris

Wheeler
06-30-2018, 04:47 PM
I had the same issue with a canoeing trip. I ended up tossing the ammo as the primers got wet and quit going bang.

LockedBreech
06-30-2018, 04:48 PM
No worries, once you dry it and clean it it'll just add character.

blues
06-30-2018, 05:27 PM
No worries, once you dry it and clean it it'll just add character.

I don't think someone comfortable enough to disassemble that firearm to that extent exhibits much worry. (Me, I'd be calling 911 for assistance getting it back together. ;))

LockedBreech
06-30-2018, 05:33 PM
I don't think someone comfortable enough to disassemble that firearm to that extent exhibits much worry. (Me, I'd be calling 911 for assistance getting it back together. ;))

You and me both, my expertise extends to "field strip" - any further and I suck. I gave away a freaking Apex kit because I couldn't get the back sight off an M&P

rayrevolver
06-30-2018, 05:34 PM

I just started kayaking and was thinking a Glock would be a good maritime sidearm. I am 100% comfortable breaking it down completely. Any flavor revolver? Not so much!

Hell, there was a much steeper learning curve converting a USP from SA/DA to LEM.

Hambo
06-30-2018, 05:37 PM

As long as you don't mix up the screws S&Ws aren't that difficult. If I had to pick a pistol to dunk and disassemble I would choose a 1911.

blues
06-30-2018, 05:39 PM
As long as you don't mix up the screws S&Ws aren't that difficult. If I had to pick a pistol to dunk and disassemble I would choose a 1911.

I'd pick a Glock but that's been the primary platform for so long now. Plus they don't require a lot of fuss and worry.

serialsolver
06-30-2018, 05:44 PM
If you don’t know how to take the cylinder assembly apart, I would put it the the oven on the lowest temperature setting for about fifteen minutes then let it cool completely down to dry all the moisture out of it. After that oil the cylinder assembly really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
I prefer an aluminum framed Officers ACP for tubing (what is this "kayak" you speak of, that some kind of boat? If they'd intended for me to be on a boat, they'd have given me an outboard motor...). A full size Government is just too much, makes me sink, unless I've had lots of Belgian-style ale...in which case nothing could make me sink...the gas bladder is too full.

blues
06-30-2018, 05:48 PM
If you don’t know how to take the cylinder assembly apart, I would put it the the oven on the lowest temperature setting for about fifteen minutes then let it cool completely down to dry all the moisture out of it. After that oil the cylinder assembly really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought you were going to say upon removing from oven, pair with a fine Bordeaux...or at least an ice cold craft ale or beer. :p

Hambo
06-30-2018, 05:49 PM
I'd pick a Glock but that's been the primary platform for so long now. Plus they don't require a lot of fuss and worry.

I'll go ahead and show just how anachronistic I am by saying that the most disassembly I've done on a Glock is removing the slide, barrel, and RSA.

blues
06-30-2018, 05:51 PM
I'll go ahead and show just how anachronistic I am by saying that the most disassembly I've done on a Glock is removing the slide, barrel, and RSA.

You mean there's more to it? (The only extra I've done was simply what was required to install Tom's most excellent SCD.)

Hambo, I think if I search back a ways I'll find we're related somehow. ;)

mtnbkr
06-30-2018, 06:07 PM
I just started kayaking and was thinking a Glock would be a good maritime sidearm.

I considered it, but the only Glock I own is a G19 and the size and weight were a concern, so I went with the smaller j-frame.

Actually, I'm more comfortable doing a fulls trip of the revolver than I am doing the same to the Glock. I mean, I can do it, but I've stripped and reassembled S&W revolvers dozens of times in my life, where I've only done that to a Glock once.

Chris

mtnbkr
06-30-2018, 07:32 PM
I ended up tossing the ammo as the primers got wet and quit going bang.

Yeah, I suppose it'll be a good idea to pull the bullets (135gr Gold Dots) and toss the rest. Shame about the snake shot, those were my last two from a pack I bought nearly 20 years ago (have only used 1 in anger).

Chris

Clusterfrack
06-30-2018, 08:29 PM
You can easily detail strip and reassemble a Glock in the field in 20 min. Really the only thing I would do is pull the striker and dry out the channel.

idahojess
06-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I suppose it'll be a good idea to pull the bullets (135gr Gold Dots) and toss the rest. Shame about the snake shot, those were my last two from a pack I bought nearly 20 years ago (have only used 1 in anger).

Chris

Buddy of mine ankle-carried a Kahr on a particularly wet mountain bike ride. We were both soaked. The next day we went to the range and he had a perfect squib on the first round. (factory defensive ammo.)
It was sort of an "Oh yeah, that was dumb," moment.

Wheeler
07-01-2018, 10:28 AM
You can easily detail strip and reassemble a Glock in the field in 20 min. Really the only thing I would do is pull the striker and dry out the channel.

And a 1911, and a Sig, and an AR, and an AK... None of which fulfill the role of a J frame quite as well as a J frame does.

mtnbkr
07-01-2018, 10:34 AM
And she's back together. I used an old bike grease called Englund's Slick Honey (available today under a different product name). It's a very light grease intended for bicycle shock assemblies, but I find it's ideal for lubricating guns. It makes a very noticeable improvement in revolver actions. I also saturate a patch with it, run it down the barrel, the follow up with a couple dry patches to remove excess. this keeps the ferrous parts corrosion-free as this is a pocket and/or AIWB gun, which exposes it to more warmth and humidity (especially this time of year, and more especially when you swamp your kayak).

I took the dunked ammo, marked it with a sharpie, and put it in a ziplock bag for range duty. I did notice the primers appeared to have some sort of red sealant in the interface between primer and case, but I won't count on it being good to go. I have lots of ammo on hand, the loss of 8 rounds won't harm me. I am a bit more miffed at the loss of my last two CCI snake shot rounds for 38 Special. I bought that box 20 years ago and have only used 1 in anger, the rest have been for testing purposes out of various 38 and 357mag revolvers over the years. Now I'll need to buy another box. :rolleyes:

Chris

mtnbkr
07-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Buddy of mine ankle-carried a Kahr on a particularly wet mountain bike ride. We were both soaked. The next day we went to the range and he had a perfect squib on the first round. (factory defensive ammo.)
It was sort of an "Oh yeah, that was dumb," moment.

Why ankle-carry while biking?

Chris

mtnbkr
07-01-2018, 10:39 AM

The Glock would have been a better choice if not for the tight confines of the kayak.

Chris

idahojess
07-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Why ankle-carry while biking?

Chris

Beats me -- not my first choice either! -- I don't even own an ankle holster. In his defense he does carry on his hip now when biking.

CCT125US
07-01-2018, 12:32 PM

This might make for an interesting discussion. Pardon the short story... Several weeks ago, the kids and I go for a walk in the creek. We come to spot suitable for swimming, kids promptly start paddling and kicking around. They ask me to come out to the deeper part, and I decline as I have my USP9c in my JRC CDAII trimmed in shark. I would would rather not get my prized holster wet, and the thought of tearing down the HK crosses my mind. Now, understand tearing down and putting together HKs is not hard for me, I would just rather not do it this day. Kind of like changing my oil, done it plenty of times, just don't want to do it today. This of course got me thinking about a swimming gun. Which took me to HK... as any firearm dunked in water would need to either detail stripped or thoroughly rinsed with a solvent and then have lube reapplied. I thought of the simplicity of Glock, it would still need to be detail stripped (less time than HK), or rinsed with solvent. In the end, I decided next time I may end up in the water, I should carry the HK my JMCK.

41magfan
07-01-2018, 02:43 PM
My duty gun used to routinely get pretty wet and I never really went to any extraordinary measures to avoid problems. A good application of a water displacing agent like WD-40/Hilco Lube followed by a good cleaning has worked for 40 years.

Along those same lines, I've never had any problems with wet ammo either as I routinely find loose rounds in the washing machine, not to mentioned discarded rounds left on the ground at the range. I can't recall the last time one didn't go off .... even some that had been on the ground for weeks or months.

After mentioning my use of products like WD-40 in various venues, I have been taken to task (more than once) by some parroting expert that any residue of WD-40 left on my gun would kill my ammo. I realize that can happen, but if you use good ammo, I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle over it.

These rounds were left submerged in WD-40 for several days and they all detonated without incident. And FWIW, I've done this more than once so this isn't a aberration.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/921/JPvJaK.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plJPvJaKj)

But just to be clear; I don't take unnecessary chances with regard to any of the variables I have control over, but I do not get preoccupied with some of the inconsequential things that seem to distract a disproportionate number of folks.

LSP552
07-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Glock....there is a reason it my canoe, kayak and general boat gun...

rayrevolver
07-01-2018, 05:05 PM
And she's back together. I used an old bike grease called Englund's Slick Honey (available today under a different product name). It's a very light grease intended for bicycle shock assemblies, but I find it's ideal for lubricating guns. It makes a very noticeable improvement in revolver actions. I also saturate a patch with it, run it down the barrel, the follow up with a couple dry patches to remove excess. this keeps the ferrous parts corrosion-free as this is a pocket and/or AIWB gun, which exposes it to more warmth and humidity (especially this time of year, and more especially when you swamp your kayak).

Chris

First, thanks to Sidheshooter for selling me his Ruger Birds Head (327FM Single Seven) for a good deal. Second, while my handle is rayrevolver I am not really a revolver guy. I sold a 1977 no dash Model 66 2 years ago to finance an MP5K. "No ragrets." It was a hand me down and I shot it 3 times in 20 years. And one of those times the cylinder locked up, probably due to the reloads.

Anywho, should get it in hand tomorrow and it is my first revolver purchase ever.

Back to this thread, I watched a few videos last night and disassembly looks relatively straight forward. Guys are swapping out hammers on these Single Sevens so maybe that is something I can tackle. I don't think this thing will ride with my in the kayak.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1822/28231081517_7d85250d1d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/K1FEYM)