PDA

View Full Version : Albuquerque RFI

JAD
06-30-2018, 11:26 AM
If I'm in town for a night, and want to make sure I'm near good food, what part of town should I stay in? I will be working at KAFB and SNL, but nowhere seems super far (and there isn't much close by).

Then, where should I eat on a Monday night?

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 12:08 PM
What kind of food do you like? Do you like microbrews? Do you mind driving across town?

El Pinto is iconic, but WAY across town. So is Sadies. My wife prefers Los Cuates to both of those, and it is in the southeast part of town, as is the Base. All three are New Mexican food. Last time I was at Sadies with Tom he was highly entertained by the confusion I caused the waiter while trying to order a sorta off menu award winning cheeseburger. There is a branch location of Sadie's off of Eubank. Hamburgers are huge, and there are many good and high end burger joints. The Owl is on Eubank near Sadies, and is kinda the standard bearer for a green chile cheeseburger, although I have not eaten there in years, preferring the oringinal about an hour and a quarter south of town. I actually think I prefer Sadie's burgers. A local alternative newspaper just ran a story highlighting some of the high end burgers across town. I can try to find it in the next little while if you are a burger fan. If you are a Breaking Bad fan, the Dog House west of downtown is famous for chili dogs and Frito Pie. Google NM Gastronome for a blog site of a guy who travels around reviewing restaurants around town. Pretty sure every place I mention here has at least one review there.

Albuquerque is home to world class breweries. Kelly's is one of several brew pubs not too far from the base. Fusion menu. The Nob Hill area and downtown have a variety of brewpubs, with pretty good grub.

Lottaburger is a local chain where you can get decent chile cheeseburgers, A number five breakfast burrito bacon and green is in my regular rotation. If you are a Breaking Bad fan the los pollos hermanos is a Twisters in the south valley. Twisters is a local chain with decent burritos, breakfast and otherwise. Hurricanes on Lomas has the Disaster Burrito, Twisters has a version of it, and it is similar to the Travis served at the K&I Diner. A single burrito will feed my family of five, and the Travis was featured on Man vs Food.

pat

LockedBreech
06-30-2018, 12:19 PM
I've got some interesting memories of Albuquerque, from way back when I was just a little bitty boy living in a box underneath the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait Shop. You know the place.

JAD
06-30-2018, 12:29 PM
I like burgers a lot. I eat local. I eat spicy. I eat ethnic. I do not drink beer.

ETA: I also have a spectacular sweet tooth.

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Just re-read your question. The Wyndham on Carlisle will put you almost in the center of town, opening you up to most options for food and drink. Hotel Circle near Eubank has several motels, and is walking distance to Sadie's and the Owl Cafe, and is a straight shot down Eubank to the Eubank Gate at the Base. Several hotels off of Gibson, which is the north boundry for much of the Base.

We are in the throes of a huge property crime problem in the entire county here, and I honestly can't think any part of town that is better or worse, crime wise.

pat

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 12:37 PM
http://www.sadiesofnewmexico.com

http://www.rebeldonut.com

http://www.flyingstarcafe.com

pat

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 01:01 PM
http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=Sadies

http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=Rebel+donut

http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=Flying+star

http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=The+owl+cafe+albuquerque

Reviews of the recommendations.

http://owlcafealbuquerque.com

pat

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Forgot this one. The just opened an ABQ branch, and the lunch lines were out the door the first time I tried to go. Used to have to go to the Res west of town for one of these.

http://thelagunaburger.com

http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=Laguna+burger+albuquerque

pat

RoyGBiv
06-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Word of advice. When a New Mexican tells you that the food is spicy, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my food spicy. Thai hot. I usually order medium in NM. I can always add heat if needed.

LockedBreech
06-30-2018, 04:41 PM
Word of advice. When a New Mexican tells you that the food is spicy, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my food spicy. Thai hot. I usually order medium in NM. I can always add heat if needed.

As a fellow spicy food lover, I thank you for this travel tip. You may have saved me a bad day at some point in the future.

Archimagirus
06-30-2018, 04:44 PM
If you are in Albuquerque for just one night, I would recommend La Salita or Los Cuates. Of the two, La Salita has the more cult following when I lived in Albuquerque and I remember it being better. If you want good food that isn’t “New Mexican” food, Frenchish and Standard Diner would be my go tos.

If you are eating New Mexican food, be prepared for two questions, Red or Green and Flat or Rolled. Traditionally, red chile is a simple roux thickened red chile sauce, think thicker, hotter, better enchilada sauce. Usually less complex flavoring, so that the nuance of the red chile shines through. Green chile can be chopped green chile or cooked into more of a sauce with onions and garlic, depends on the restaurant. If you aren’t sure which one you will like, ask for Christmas on the side, you’ll get red and green on the side. Enchiladas are a whole different animal in New Mexico. Most people are used to rolled, like a cannalloni or manicotti, and covered in sauce, either red or green chile, not enchilada sauce in most of NM. I grew up eating flat enchiladas and was stunned as kid by the rolled ones when I first encountered them. My dad always loves a flat blue corn enchilada with an egg over easy on it.

Some idiosynchrasies around New Mexican food, they have a tendency make Carnitas with beef and Barbacoa with pork. Not everywhere mind you, just enough places that you have to ask.

I second Blake’s for a breakfast burrito, easy to get in and out. If they are around Dos Hermanos is pretty good too. With breakfast burritos be prepared for plain or smothered and covered. Plain you can eat hand held, smother and covered is covered with red chile sauce or green chile with melted cheese on top.

If you happen to get something too spicy, take a pinch or two of salt and let it melt on your tongue, the salt breaks up the oleoresin and takes away the heat.

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 05:32 PM
The state question: red or green? Correct answer is "yes".

Seriously, flat, christmas, with an egg.

Wecks is also becoming an ABQ institution.

pat

RJ
06-30-2018, 05:40 PM
I like burgers a lot. I eat local. I eat spicy. I eat ethnic. I do not drink beer.

ETA: I also have a spectacular sweet tooth.

This place was pretty good:

5 Star Burgers
5901 Wyoming Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
(505) 821-1909
https://goo.gl/maps/S3YV8UH3Buj

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 05:47 PM

I used to grow my habeneros. Thanksgiving isn't the same without my habenero cranberry relish. I go the Firey Food show every year. I have ghost pepper mustard, ghost pepper strawberry jam, and in my fridge right now I have habanero fudge sauce for pouring on ice cream. I like my food hot.

I was at the DPS Academy in Santa Fe a couple of years ago for a class and was warned about this little joint across the street that had hot chile. I walked in had the enchiladas, flat, green, with an egg. I did not know green chile was genetically capable of being that hot. I slogged through the meal, had a small amount of leftovers to take with me, and I got back to my class with almost 20 minutes to spare. Over the next 10 I broke out into a sweat, and my lunch was threatening to launch. I sat on the floor next to the commode, hoping not to puke, 'cause it hurt going down. I looked like a hung over college kid, breathing deeply, oversalavating, hoping. Afer about five minutes I was fine. Ate my leftovers for dinner without incident.

Didn't we have this story already in the hot sauce thread a couple of years ago?

pat

RJ
06-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Not a local, just been through ABQ for work a few times.

The National Museum of Nuclear Science is pretty cool.

http://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

Tom_Jones was nice enough to meet me for lunch at Oniells on Central, food was pretty good:

https://www.oniells.com/

Not sure if this is the best part of town but we enjoyed lunch here:

Church Street Cafe
2111 Church St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104
(505) 247-8522
https://goo.gl/maps/9no89Rfi9CA2

UNM1136
06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Didn't we have this story already in the hot sauce thread a couple of years ago?

We did have this conversation already- in 2013! You, me, Mr Jenkins...

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-7989.html

pat

Coyotesfan97
07-01-2018, 07:11 AM
I like this thread because Albuquerque has always been a get off the interstate, fuel up ready to repel boarders, and GTFO for me.

JM Campbell
07-01-2018, 08:22 AM
I like this thread because Albuquerque has always been a get off the interstate, fuel up ready to repel boarders, and GTFO for me.

I feel the same way when I visit family in ABQ [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
07-01-2018, 08:56 AM
We did have this conversation already- in 2013! You, me, Mr Jenkins...

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-7989.html

pat

Ah yes, I related the fork full of Wasabi story...I swear they looked like peas lol.

JFK
07-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Nob Hill has some good food and is close to the base.

Nob Hill Bar and Grill has the Dirty Burger.... It is Dirty...

B2B is next door. They have burgers and beer, all local. Good stuff, good green chili burger.

For Non burger Yani's is decent greek, Street Food Asia is a good mix of asian that has never disappointed.

If you have to go for New Mexican Los Cuates is great, but if you can swing breakfast at Mary and Titos on 4th street you will not be sorry. They have the best chilies. It will look like it is closed, but its not. It is great.

Shellback
07-02-2018, 12:19 PM
I always liked the breakfast burritos at The Frontier, down by Nob Hill/UNM area. They have giant black cauldrons of green chile to dump on everything.

Weck's is awesome for breakfast!

Hot Tamales, in Rio Rancho, is my favorite New Mexican food place but a bit out of your way.

JRB
07-02-2018, 03:06 PM
How we got this far into the thread without mentioning Golden Pride is a mystery to me...

Though warnings about what 'hot' means around here are well-founded. Ask for the chile on the side if you're worried about it, and it's not out of line to ask whether the red or the green is hotter, it can vary from location to location and depending on the strain of chile and how it is prepared.
I've had hot sauce from a SoCal Burrito joint touted as 'Nuclear' that rated about a NM medium. I asked for a side of it because it wasn't enough. We're weird.

I work on KAFB. If you're working at Sandia I am sorry to say that both of the gates closest to SNL are a total hot mess from 0700-0900 every morning. Expect to spend 10-25 mins in a gate line to get on post via the Eubank or Wyoming gates.
Whatever you do, don't even bother with the Gibson gate from 0700-0900. Seriously.

The recommendation for hotel near Hotel Circle is good for the ~5 min shot down Eubank to the gate, but it's a total hot mess of property crime right now. Elevated significantly from even the terrible norm that is ABQ. It does put you close to Sadie's smaller location off of Eubank, the Owl Cafe (which is overrated IMO) and the Golden Pride near Central and Eubank. It's also pretty close to one of my favorite local breweries, Bombs Away Brewing Company, which is located in a kinda quiet industrial part of town south of Central but the beer is great and it's a nice spot to enjoy a beer in a quiet, idiot-free zone. But their food menu is basically just munchies, so do dinner first.

Friends of mine with other various organizations tend to stay in hotels near Gibson & Yale, specifically the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Courtyard, and Holiday Inn Express. There's an Applebee's and a decent local brewery in stone's throw walking distance from those three hotels and you have much less troublesome gate access via Truman gate or Carlisle gate on the west side of the base. You'll need a strip map of the base to get where you're going, but your POC at Kirtland for your work should have all of that available.

This also puts you much closer to the downtown and Nob Hill areas of town were a lot of the good eateries are located - I emphatically re-recommend Standard Diner, 5-Star Burgers (they opened one in downtown recently), Sadies (especially the one off of 4th street, but that's a drive) and Tia Betty Blue's.
Tia Betty Blues is off of San Mateo and pretty close to KAFB, and its an esoteric breakfast/lunch place that's pure New Mexican cuisine and one of my favorites. They offer a breakfast burrito with a variety of options that comes out to less than $8 the way I like it (sausage w/green chile) and I've given up trying to finish one in a single sitting. I eat half and then get a to-go box for the other half. Tia Betty's makes a pretty good cup of joe and various lattes, etc. too.

Other places worth visiting:
Marble Brewing
Bosque Brewing
Golden Pride (satellite restaurants of the classic "Frontier" restaurant across from UNM. Good fried chicken, good breakfast burritos too. The #3 carne adovada breakfast burrito w/extra cheese is my favorite)
O'niells (I'm fond of their bangers'n'mash)
Cocina Azul (delicious New Mexican food and 'normal' food with an NM twist. They have a chicken fried steak that comes covered in creamy green chile sauce with chunks of chicken and topped off with fried eggs - amazing)
Papa Felipe's (old style New Mexican in a sit-down environment. I cherish their chicken stuffed soapapilla slathered in the classico green chile sauce)
Billy's Long Bar (outstanding selection of beer, scotch, and bourbon, with good food too)
Seasons 52 (if Ms JAD is accompanying you, and you'd like a nice date-night dinner together)
Ron Peterson's Firearms (oldest gun store in ABQ that's still in business - they tend to have interesting used guns on their rack, and less derp than most gun stores)

And if you have the time, you can drive up the backside of the Sandia Mountains via the Sandia Crest Road, which allows you to park about a 30yd hike from the summit and look out over ABQ from ~5000ft higher elevation. The ~1hr drive there is gorgeous as well, and there's a nice hiking trail between the summit area of Sandia Peak and the terminal of the Sandia Peak Tramway, but it sounds like you may not have enough time to enjoy that on this trip. Expect the summit to be much cooler than the temp in ABQ and it tends to be windy, so bring a jacket with you regardless of the season, especially if you visit in the evening and stay through dusk to see the city lights.

Shellback
07-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Stuffed sopapilla and a Navajo taco... Both must tries in my opinion.

JAD
07-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Respect.

JAD
07-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Any story worth telling once is worth telling twice.

RJ
07-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Great thread.

I’ll very likely be out at Kirtland again over the next couple years so this info is very useful.

RJ
07-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Any story worth telling once is worth telling twice.

This was my meager contribution:

No worries. I like to try 'different' tastes.

True story: I'd never tried Wasabi before.

So there we were, eating dinner on a Carribbean Cruise in one of those fancy 'Asian-Fusion' themed restaurants they have on board. The main course arrives, and on the side of the plate are these mushy green peas.

So I'm all like, hey, I like peas, and recall kind of wondering why they would serve peas in an Asian restaurant, as the fork was on its way to my mouth.

Well.

After the back of my head exploded, my grinning wife explains to me "You know that was Wasabi, it might be a little hot." Gee, thanks dear. A "little hot"? Crap. It was like a can of pepper spray went off in my throat.

So yeah, I'll try the sriracha, but gingerly. :cool:

UNM1136
07-05-2018, 04:09 AM
JAD

Well, where did you end up? Or are you not speaking to us anymore? Did we mislead you?

pat

JAD
07-05-2018, 05:17 AM
I’m still a couple weeks away from the trip. It’s been great input so far!

UNM1136
07-05-2018, 07:37 AM
I’m still a couple weeks away from the trip. It’s been great input so far!

Oh, got it into my head that it was a last minute question. My mistake. Let us know what you decide, and how it is....

pat

JAD
07-05-2018, 08:02 AM
I'm playing my cards close to my vest -- what KTech decides they want for lunch tuesday determines what I have for dinner on Monday.

I do not think it's at all unreasonable that I'm planning my trip around food.

UNM1136
07-05-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm playing my cards close to my vest -- what KTech decides they want for lunch tuesday determines what I have for dinner on Monday.

I do not think it's at all unreasonable that I'm planning my trip around food.

Same planning process I have for Chicago next month.

pat

JAD
07-16-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm headed to Los Cuates (on Lomas). I'm staying at the intersection of 40 and 25.

I'd like to earn a breakfast burrito. Running in this area, particularly unarmed, seems dumb. Is there a good place to go run at 0530 where I won't get killed? Or should I stick to the treadmill.

JFK
07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
I'm headed to Los Cuates (on Lomas). I'm staying at the intersection of 40 and 25.

I'd like to earn a breakfast burrito. Running in this area, particularly unarmed, seems dumb. Is there a good place to go run at 0530 where I won't get killed? Or should I stick to the treadmill.

What side of the intersection? What hotel?

JodyH
07-16-2018, 07:08 PM

I hear there's a great alleyway near there where you can take your morning BM while jogging (it's a ABQ tradition I hear).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tD4nmw1yZs

JAD
07-16-2018, 07:11 PM
What side of the intersection? What hotel?

Fairfield, ne. I have no objection to driving half an hour to a good neighborhood, park, or trail.

JFK
07-16-2018, 07:14 PM

I would not worry too much about running. You have to be aware everywhere in ABQ, but that area is not really one to worry about. It is just older and of lower social economic persuasion, but generally decent folk, closer to downtown and south of Zuni, closer to the base is more worrisome.

The three best places in your area would be Taqueria Mexico on Lomas, west of the freeway. It is more Mexican, than New Mexican but their Chicharron Breakfast Burrito will keep you full for the day and is awesome. That would be my first choice.
http://www.taqueriamexicoabq.com/contact-us.htmlhttp://www.taqueriamexicoabq.com/contact-us.html

Golden Pride is also on Lomas but east of the freeway, just east of University. It is a local place. They also own Frontier Restaurant. Really good basic burros.

Twisters is on Menaul. It is a local chain, but has all the traditional new mexican fare, and you might recognize the decor from Breaking Bad. That was the chain they used as Pollos Hermonos.

JFK
07-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Fairfield, ne. I have no objection to driving half an hour to a good neighborhood, park, or trail.

In that case no question head to the Bosque for a run. There are several trail accesses. Don't have to worry about traffic.

If you head east on Menaul, take a right on Rio Grande, then left on Candalaria until it ends there is good access to the river and trails.

I should warn you that Tom Jones lives near this area, so you know... Be careful of the element...

JAD
07-16-2018, 07:30 PM
In that case no question head to the Bosque for a run. There are several trail accesses. Don't have to worry about traffic.

If you head east on Menaul, take a right on Rio Grande, then left on Candalaria until it ends there is good access to the river and trails.

I should warn you that Tom Jones lives near this area, so you know... Be careful of the element...

Quoted for like. Thanks, JFK.

JFK
07-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Good to know! I like the near nob hill areas.

JAD
07-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Los Cuates was quite good -- flat stack ground beef con ojo with xmas on the side. Despite that, I didn't run into Jody's problem on the run this morning. Taking Tom's advice I just went out the door and, to keep from crossing an interstate, northeast. There was a very nice bike trail that ran up to a park and I got an easy five in, very pleased; the only drawback is that because I wasn't running West I didn't get to watch the balloons go up (there were bunches of them on that side of town). The bike trail was particularly nice because it was flat, so I made good time.

You know how you say 'on your left' in Burqueño? Neither does anyone else.

I am probably going to plow into a green chili cheeseburger at about three. It's been a very good visit and I appreciate the advice I've gotten.

RJ
09-14-2019, 04:56 AM
Looks like my system is going to go to KAFB soon, so more than likely will be starting to go out to ABQ in the next 1-2 months. Initially briefly and then for a few weeks if not months at a time through the Spring. Guess this Florida Boy I will have to locate some cold-weather gear lol.

Will discuss our logistical plans more with The Boss after my initial survey trip, likely coming up late Sep or early to mid-Oct (we will try and avoid the balloon festival dates). We'd ideally like to get one of our cars out there, and we need to account for the mini-Schnauzer, who would come with.

I'm fairly familiar with the area, based on previous vacation trips, as well as work trips to KAFB in my corporate 1.0 life. I've shot a USPSA match at Shooting Range Park. Been to the Nuclear Museum, which is awesome. Also the tramway up Sandia Peak. Not from the back side; I think I'd like to do the drive up to see what that's like.

Any recommendations spouse-friendly indoor shooting ranges for putting holes in paper?

jtcarm
09-27-2019, 09:39 AM
I was through there many times in the ‘90s and always made a stop at Black Angus.

RJ
11-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Calibers at 4340 Cutler Ave. NE

Thanks Tom. In ATL about to board a flight to ABQ.

The Boss arrives Wed; we are staying through the weekend to look around for extended stay options.

Will check out Calibers, for sure. If they have a G34 in the rental case, I might give that a try. Interested in options for USPSA.

I brought a coat. :cool:

UNM1136
11-18-2019, 04:16 PM
PM sent.

pat

RJ
11-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Got done with work today and hit a pub on Central, "2 Fools Tavern".

www.2foolstavern.com

Good eats.

RJ
11-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Will check out Calibers, for sure. If they have a G34 in the rental case, I might give that a try. Interested in options for USPSA.

Well, I popped in yesterday. No G34 in the rental case, bummer. But the range looked very well laid out and nicely lit. Would definitely look into shooting here as/when opportunity arises.

Half Moon
11-19-2019, 08:31 PM

www.2foolstavern.com

Good eats.

Two Fools is one of our favorites! Great Irish menu.

Another one worth checking out is:

https://www.ajiacobistro.com/colombian-restaurant/

The dinner for two is a good sampler. Also really like the Lulo juice with water.

Can't talk reasons but I'd avoid Sadie's despite the multiple recommendations above.

JRB
11-20-2019, 04:49 AM

www.2foolstavern.com

Good eats.

When they first opened, I went there with a group of friends. I ordered an 18 year old single malt Scotch 'neat' and was told they couldn't serve it neat 'because they don't serve shots'.

They rapidly changed that attitude, and I enjoyed it for years, then the jigger police went into all of their bottles and their selection narrowed and prices went way, way up and it stopped being good enough to bother with downtown.

The food is still pretty good, though.

I'd also heartily suggest Quarter Celtic or either of the O'Neills locations, or Horse & Angel up in the NE heights.

I miss home...

JAD
03-15-2021, 01:10 PM
Necro re-visit. At the time of this thread (three years ago) y'all were having a rough time with property crime. I will be driving through on the way to Prescott in late April, and want to pick a hotel in a part of town that will have a lower chance of a smashed window. I will get up early to go to mass (probably in old town) and boogie, so crime value and distance from 40 are really the only considerations (and probably inversely proportional). Comments would be appreciated. I see hotels in Old Town, the airport, ALB north, and way east like Princess Jeane.

RJ
03-15-2021, 01:42 PM
I’ll defer to the locals.

As a former frequent business traveler to KAFB, the closer you can stay to Sandia Heights, the less risk I would perceive.

My go to hotel / food was the area around Coronado Center off Louisiana, just N of I40; it was not a bad drive to base and had a lot of options.

JRB
03-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Property crime has not really changed since you last came through.

The Coronado Mall/Uptown area is good for hotels/restaurants at reasonable rates with reasonably lower chances of auto break-ins.

Generally speaking - the cheaper it is, and the closer it is to Central Ave or either highway, especially the I40/I25 interchange (aka 'The Big I' ) the worse it will be for overnight security and property crime.

If you're really interested in attending mass in Old Town, Hotel Albuquerque is very nice and right down the street from Old Town proper. It's also right across the street from the Sawmill Market which is an old lumber building that was gutted and made into a lot of little restaurants and breweries. D.H. Lescombes winery and restaurant (a favorite date spot of ours) is across the street as well.
Hotel ABQ is spendy but very nice, and several friends have hosted weddings and other events there that involved overnight parking and I've never heard of anyone having an issue. If you're going to hang out a bit, might be worth the expense.

DrkBlue
03-15-2021, 11:27 PM
I was in town for a short visit to the Lab and stayed at the Hotel Andaluz Albuquerque Downtown. Liked it and just a bit more than the airport area hotels but less sketch. Really cool place, retro, and the location was way more convenient than I expected.

I used $20/night valet parking, ‘cause it is Albuquerque.

JAD
03-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Thanks, all!

Borderland
03-16-2021, 08:51 AM

It's not a bad town if you know the areas to avoid. I get that info from my cousin and my brother who live there. Always enjoyed the restaurants.

JRB
03-16-2021, 08:53 AM
I was in town for a short visit to the Lab and stayed at the Hotel Andaluz Albuquerque Downtown. Liked it and just a bit more than the airport area hotels but less sketch. Really cool place, retro, and the location was way more convenient than I expected.

I used $20/night valet parking, ‘cause it is Albuquerque.

My wife and I planned to get married at Hotel Andaluz this past January, but COVID had other ideas. We ended up doing a smaller ceremony in our backyard, and stayed at Andaluz for our wedding night in one of their fanciest suites. We love that hotel, particularly their New Years' Eve parties. The valet lot is well patrolled, but Central is a MUC-athon basically 24/7.
If you're noise sensitive, ask for a room on the north side of the building, as the south side faces Central and there's lots of lowriders/etc cruising late into the night if engine noise bothers you.

Hotel Andaluz was the fanciest hotel in the city for some time, so it's not so much 'retro' as it is vintage. Conrad Hilton built it back in the glory days and IIRC he married his second or third wife there.

UNM1136
03-16-2021, 09:27 AM
Congrats, dude!

Gonna need a beer in a couple of weeks...

pat

DrkBlue
03-17-2021, 11:22 PM
My wife and I planned to get married at Hotel Andaluz this past January, but COVID had other ideas. We ended up doing a smaller ceremony in our backyard, and stayed at Andaluz for our wedding night in one of their fanciest suites. We love that hotel, particularly their New Years' Eve parties. The valet lot is well patrolled, but Central is a MUC-athon basically 24/7.
If you're noise sensitive, ask for a room on the north side of the building, as the south side faces Central and there's lots of lowriders/etc cruising late into the night if engine noise bothers you.

Hotel Andaluz was the fanciest hotel in the city for some time, so it's not so much 'retro' as it is vintage. Conrad Hilton built it back in the glory days and IIRC he married his second or third wife there.

Nice background - I agree on vintage. Andulaz just oozes class and it is absolutely :throwback. I had a south facing room on Floor 3 or 4. It wasn’t too bad noise wise for me.

The elevator cars are unbelievable. I really cannot do justice to them in words. It is just an old school classy place. Staff was good, not in your stuff but handled the angles well.

The other big ABQ element has been mentioned - cuisine. Damn, the food is good, even the local fast food places. Only place I have eaten better is Ciudad de Mexico during an inflationary period.

UNM1136
03-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Nice background - I agree on vintage. Andulaz just oozes class and it is absolutely :throwback. I had a south facing room on Floor 3 or 4. It wasn’t too bad noise wise for me.

The elevator cars are unbelievable. I really cannot do justice to them in words. It is just an old school classy place. Staff was good, not in your stuff but handled the angles well.

The other big ABQ element has been mentioned - cuisine. Damn, the food is good, even the local fast food places. Only place I have eaten better is Ciudad de Mexico during an inflationary period.

When I was in cooking school the Chef that ran my food and beverage class came to eat in our restaurant during my production week as head chef. I adapted a family recipe for production and ran with it. He asked for the recipe. He later became the Food and Beverage Director at the Andaluz.

And yeah, New Mexican is kinda unique. Not mexican, not tex-mex, but our own thing, most of which started out as poor agrarian food. My goal fot this year is to get BBI hooked on carne adovada and posole. Lots of dairy, chile, more wheat flour, some corn, beef, chicken and pork.

For those of you desiring it, just this week in the news I saw that Bueno Foods has secured a national distributor. So you should be able to find the hot Autumn Roast green, and red chile puree for sauces, and tamales and posole should be available many more places before long. I like to open a tub of Autumn Roast, add a half a teaspoon or so of garlic powder and salt, and let it sit in the fridge as the garlic rehydrates. Leave it there to top hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, stir fries, and green chile cheese fries or tater tots. French bread pizza has seen a reurgence in my house during the Covid, and Brat the Second only likes green chile on her pizza.

Look for it in stores near you, likely big chains in the freezer section. Or there is always eCommerce. Although the prices on Amazon are outrageous! Ships frozen.

pat

JAD
11-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Chilling at the Owl, wearing a G17 with a bygod gadget. Cheers to the town’s PFers, past and present.

Bergeron
11-06-2021, 04:28 PM
I visited ABQ for a job interview, and remain impressed with the place. I'd love to return for the Hot Air Balloon festival, and hopefully 2022 will be year that could happen.

Balisong
12-09-2021, 11:46 AM
I appreciate the info in this thread. I'm going to start travel nursing after the holidays and Albuquerque is one of the places I may end up working.

UNM1136
12-09-2021, 12:37 PM
I appreciate the info in this thread. I'm going to start travel nursing after the holidays and Albuquerque is one of the places I may end up working.

We need you....

The funny thing is a co-worker's wife is a travel nurse and she spends her weeks on the east coast!

Hit me up when you get here...breakfast times will be NM Beef Jerky Co. Lunch will be Laguna Burger. Dinner, I am thinking El Modelo...

You too @RJ.

pat

Balisong
12-09-2021, 01:10 PM
We need you....

The funny thing is a co-worker's wife is a travel nurse and she spends her weeks on the east coast!

Hit me up when you get here...breakfast times will be NM Beef Jerky Co. Lunch will be Laguna Burger. Dinner, I am thinking El Modelo...

You too @RJ.

pat

Sounds awesome.

Stupid thing is, they need me here too lol. My hospital pays travelers obscene money, but for me to make that kind of money I have to be a traveler. Why the hell I can't just stay home and get better money is beyond me, but screw it I'll play the game and get 4x the money per week than I get currently doing the exact same job.

RoyGBiv
12-09-2021, 01:22 PM

You're probably already aware of this site but just in case.
https://www.furnishedfinder.com/
Daughter found it very helpful when she was doing her internships.

Balisong
12-09-2021, 02:43 PM
You're probably already aware of this site but just in case.
https://www.furnishedfinder.com/
Daughter found it very helpful when she was doing her internships.

I was not! I'd been looking at airbnb which allows you to check monthly rates of places, but I will definitely check out your link as well. Mucho appreciated good sir.

RoyGBiv
12-09-2021, 03:21 PM
I was not! I'd been looking at airbnb which allows you to check monthly rates of places, but I will definitely check out your link as well. Mucho appreciated good sir.

Glad I posted that then...
We looked at AirBnB and found it way more expensive. She did a practicum in Australia that was only a few weeks, so, AirBnB worked ok. But furnishedfinders caters to the traveling medical community. She found a lot of medical professionals renting furnished rooms right nearby the places she was working. More expensive than a straight rental apartment, but fully furnished and short term. Way less than AirBnB. And If you don't mind a room in someone's house (often with private bath), rather than a private space just for you, it's even less. The two she used were no contract, a few months each. Husband was a Dr in 1 (still paying off med school and a new house), both were in med profession in the other.

If you find yourself in DFW, be sure to holler.

/drift

Balisong
12-09-2021, 05:26 PM
Glad I posted that then...
We looked at AirBnB and found it way more expensive. She did a practicum in Australia that was only a few weeks, so, AirBnB worked ok. But furnishedfinders caters to the traveling medical community. She found a lot of medical professionals renting furnished rooms right nearby the places she was working. More expensive than a straight rental apartment, but fully furnished and short term. Way less than AirBnB. And If you don't mind a room in someone's house (often with private bath), rather than a private space just for you, it's even less. The two she used were no contract, a few months each. Husband was a Dr in 1 (still paying off med school and a new house), both were in med profession in the other.

If you find yourself in DFW, be sure to holler.

/drift

Once again thank you! I'm already finding one of their site tools for comparing housing costs in different cities very useful. And Texas is among the places I'm willing to work, so will definitely holler if that's the case!
Ok no more thread drift from me unless I have Albuquerque questions :cool:

mmc45414
12-10-2021, 11:25 AM
screw it I'll play the game and get 4x the money per week than I get currently doing the exact same job.
My cousin did it for years (until my uncle got sick and needed her help back home), typically six-month contracts. She usually managed places like Cape Cod in the summer and back to St Thomas in the winter. After she married her husband followed along, easily picking up cabinet maker jobs. She said a secondary advantage was that just about the time that she started getting tired of her catty coworkers it was time to move on.