PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Kaboom for you!

Glenn E. Meyer
06-28-2018, 01:51 PM
https://news.usni.org/2018/06/27/video-missile-explodes-german-frigate-training-exercise-incident-similar-2015-u-s-navy-explosion

Note that the exclamation in German in the video is easy to translate. Maybe they were reloads?

Luckily no one killed.

Trooper224
06-28-2018, 02:56 PM
As an old frigate sailor that pains me to watch it. They're lucky it cleared the VLS launch tube before exploding. I'm going to have to work that German word into my profanity lexicon.

Rex G
06-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Very glad to see there were no fatalities!

Many German words transliterate easily iinto English. The English language is German-based, so this is no surprise, as the very word “England” is derived from “Angle-Land.” The Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and Frisians, who filled the power vacuum after the Roman legions were recalled to the Continent, were Germanic.

For that matter, the name of this frigate, Sachsen, is, well, literally Saxon. The Saxons came from Sachsen.

I am not nearly fluent in German, but so much German had seemed relatively easy to understand, and no wonder; I recently found that my surname, though French, is an old Germanic (Burgundian tribal) name that was Gallicized.

TAZ
06-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Wow... That stinks. Wonder why the Germans were using that missile type, the USN placed that missile type on wartime use only a while back after we had a similar issue. If they cleared it, they might what to reassess... Glad the launch system was designed well enough to contain the energy and not allow more damage to the ship, other weapons in their tubes, and more injuries. Hope the injured can recover quickly.

Tom Duffy
06-29-2018, 11:03 AM
There's a joke there somewhere about testing 40 caliber Glocks.

David C.
06-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Very lucky for all aboard that the missile basically ruptured and burned rather than going high order.

IOW that was more of a poof than a pop.