PDA

View Full Version : “Go To” Pocket Holsters

BWT
06-27-2018, 05:26 PM
I have a Ruger LCP that I don’t often touch but candidly I should carry.

I took it out and shot it a few weeks back and was pretty accurate with it.

I enjoy carrying my Glock 19 Gen 5, but reality is I work in a NPE and guns are often left in the car or at home. Shirts are usually tucked in at work. That little LCP just makes sense.

What do you guys use?

Knowing the tenants here of quality holsters for safety, etc. I’m curious to see what people use.

I figure I’ll throw it in my pants, jeans, or shorts when I can’t carry my Glock 19.

I thought briefly about upgrading to a 42 or 43. But practically the gun has an external DAO hammer which you can put your thumb over. It’s smaller and easier to conceal and realistically I’d put night sights and a gadget on a 42 or 43 which makes it about 4 times the cost.

God Bless,

Brandon

peterb
06-27-2018, 05:43 PM
The last time this came up Mika’s and Aholsters were mentioned several times. I got a j-frame Aholster, which I like, but the curve that works so well carrying on the intended side makes it hard to swap and carry on the other side. Haven’t tried the Mika’s. Also have a De Santis Nemisis, but with a j-frame it is bulky and only works in large pockets. Might be better with an LCP.

SeriousStudent
06-27-2018, 06:43 PM
I am a big fan of Stephen McEleroy.

https://squareup.com/market/rkba-holsters

I have several of his holsters. Very well made, they last a very long time.

Joe in PNG
06-27-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm partial to the leather Brand X pocket holsters. They're stiff enough to break up the outline, but still fairly comfortable.

APS-PF
06-27-2018, 06:58 PM
I use the aholster for autos. I like something that can pull the holster off of the gun as it's drawn if I have my index finger flat and pinning the holster against the gun and I prefer to draw straight up. The soft holsters are prone to this unless you draw backwards wiping the holster against the bottom edge of the pocket.

41magfan
06-27-2018, 07:05 PM
I've gone through half a dozen different pocket holsters (kydex, textile & leather) for the LCP and I've settled on this for the time being. The black stuff is a piece of Pachmayr Pac-Skin that I've attached to both sides to help the holster get "traction" on the pocket lining during the draw.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/front-pocket-horsehide-holster_8_1168_1122.html

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/C9lONV.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnC9lONVj)

41magfan
06-27-2018, 07:07 PM
I am a big fan of Stephen McEleroy.

https://squareup.com/market/rkba-holsters

I have several of his holsters. Very well made, they last a very long time.

Stephen called it quits a couple of years ago, I'm afraid.

Willard
06-27-2018, 07:28 PM
As mentioned, Mika & A-holsters. I also really like my Kramer.

WobblyPossum
06-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Another vote for Aholster. I love mine. It covers the trigger guard, hides the shape of the gun and stays in the pocket when you draw. Everything I could ask for from a pocket holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
06-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Stephen called it quits a couple of years ago, I'm afraid.

Rats, I am very sorry to hear that. He was a really talented fellow.

blues
06-28-2018, 08:00 AM
I don't pocket carry all that much...but when I do it's in an Aholster or Mika depending on the cut of the pocket and the garment.

KeeFus
06-28-2018, 08:17 AM
I have been using the Wild Bill's Pocket Packer for about 15 years. I probably need a new one but the old one still works. Great holster and good price for what it is.

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/pocket_holsters.htm

Irelander
06-28-2018, 10:37 AM
My FIL has a Desantis Super Fly (https://www.amazon.com/DESANTIS-Pocket-Holster-Ambidextrous-M44BJG3Z0/dp/B003K84C6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530200131&sr=8-1&keywords=desantis+superfly+pocket+holster+for+LCP) for his Kimber Micro9. It works very well with the sticky external and the optional flap. Without the flap, it looks like there is a gun in your pocket. With the flap it looks like a wallet or phone. I imagine it will work well with your LCP.

I got one for my PPS but its so big it doesn't work well in most of my pants. Works well in Wrangler cargo shorts (not cargo pockets).

Cheap Shot
06-28-2018, 01:40 PM
I've been using the pocket holster that came with the LCP. Works fine in jeans for me. Are there advantages to some of the other holsters listed compared to the ruger holster?

Rex G
06-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Mostly, Kramer. I do not generally-pocket-carry, except at home, these days, but experimented quite a bit in the Eighties, Nineties, and early this century. I see pocket carry as more for the second/“roving” gun, and my favorite pocket gun became the SP101, after plenty of J-framing in the Eightiers and Nineties. (My late friend Anthony, on another forum I no longer visit much, coined the term “roving” gun, as opposed to “back-up” gun. His military experience including covert work in Northern Ireland, and combat service in the Falklands. As an expat, he lived on the wild frontier of Brazil, which remains very wild and violent, to this day.)

Time will tell whether I revert to more-frequent pocket carry, now that I am retired from LEO-ing, and, even with LEOSA, am trying to lower my profile.

Hambo
06-28-2018, 02:35 PM
JMCK. I asked Tony Mayer and he made me a kydex LCP holster.

41magfan
06-28-2018, 05:27 PM
I've been using the pocket holster that came with the LCP. Works fine in jeans for me. Are there advantages to some of the other holsters listed compared to the ruger holster?

If you're talking about the sticky textile holster that resembles the old Uncle Mikes (currently copied by Blackhawk) design, it mostly does what a pocket holster is supposed to do; cover the trigger, allow for a firing grip and keep the gun oriented (and secure) in the pocket.

I used them occasionally way back when they were initially introduced, but I couldn't get them to last very long plus they lose their shape pretty quickly. But, at $10 a pop, replace it as needed and consider it disposable piece of gear.

ViniVidivici
06-29-2018, 12:26 PM
I've been using the cheap Uncle Mike's types for years, for j-frames and subcompact autos. Always worked fine for me, always in the role of a BUG.

I do like that term "roving gun", I believe I'll add that to my vocabulary.

lee n. field
06-29-2018, 06:59 PM
I have a Ruger LCP that I don’t often touch but candidly I should carry.

I took it out and shot it a few weeks back and was pretty accurate with it.

I enjoy carrying my Glock 19 Gen 5, but reality is I work in a NPE and guns are often left in the car or at home. Shirts are usually tucked in at work. That little LCP just makes sense.

What do you guys use?

Desantis Nemesis usually, or Mika.

LSP552
06-30-2018, 07:59 AM
I’ve used a Kramer Pocket Holster with S&W Airweights for decades. For the G42, a Desantis Nemesis has worked fine.

BWT
06-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Awesome!

Thank you guys so much; I truly appreciate the info!

I’ll look between the options and make a decision.

Some day I may end up with a Glock 42 or 43. But I figure use what I have currently as proof of concept first.

God Bless,

Brandon

UNK
06-30-2018, 11:34 AM
I'm an AHolster fan but if I were going to go leather I would give this guy a try. http://pcsholsters.com/pocket_holsters.html
A quick google search reveals multiple threads on this subject in the past. It seems pocket carry is just like any other holster selection. It depends what works for you and may take some trial and error to find the right one for your application.

beenalongtime
06-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Do any of you do anything for clothing shopping purposes? I picked up a pocket holster (either Uncle MIkes or Sticky, not where it is) for $5 at a damaged freight store, with the intent of using it and a blue gun, for sizing when shopping for shorts (haven't worn them much in years, I think I own two pair). I figured for that little bit, it was worth seeing what would work. I realize once we get what we know works, we tend to stick with it, but too many times I have found things change.
Thanks

camsdaddy
06-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Do any of you do anything for clothing shopping purposes? I picked up a pocket holster (either Uncle MIkes or Sticky, not where it is) for $5 at a damaged freight store, with the intent of using it and a blue gun, for sizing when shopping for shorts (haven't worn them much in years, I think I own two pair). I figured for that little bit, it was worth seeing what would work. I realize once we get what we know works, we tend to stick with it, but too many times I have found things change.
Thanks
I always stick my hand all the way in the pocket. How far it goes in is a good indication. I then carry them to a fitting room to double check with my actual gun.

41magfan
06-30-2018, 02:19 PM
I've pocket carried for so long I can run my hand in the pocket and tell whether it's of a proper dimension for pocket carry. Some otherwise nice pants have gotten the thumbs down for not having suitable pockets.

GAP
06-30-2018, 03:04 PM
The AHolster Backbone is working well for my 642; I’d imagine his regular pocket holster works just as well for a small semi-auto.

Bigghoss
06-30-2018, 10:03 PM
I like the Desantis Nemisis, not that I've tried a lot of different ones. I have one for my LCP, LCR, and my G26.

Erick Gelhaus
07-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I started with a Kramer Pro pcket holster for a J frame (and a Colt Mustang .380). When it was no longer servicable, 10+ years of very frequent use, I switched to a Mica pocket holster, first for a J frame and then for a Shield. Am now using a Blue Force Gear pocket holster for the Shield.

Unisaw
09-25-2018, 02:39 PM
I noticed that Blue Force Gear has now released it’s UltraComp pocket holster for the j frame. Has anyone on this forum tried one? If so, what did you think?

RAM Engineer
11-02-2020, 12:22 PM
I noticed that Blue Force Gear has now released it’s UltraComp pocket holster for the j frame. Has anyone on this forum tried one? If so, what did you think?

Bumping this because I would like to know this as well.

Seven_Sicks_Two
11-02-2020, 02:33 PM

I've got no experience with the UltraComp in a j frame, but I use one for my LCP (depending on the pants I'm wearing). It's pretty minimalist, which is nice as it doesn't add a ton of bulk. I snagged it during one of BFGs sales and I've been pretty happy with it.

Amp
11-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I use a Kramer Pocket Gun Holster for my 642 and have been very pleased with it. It is very stable, stays in the pocket when you draw the gun and has held up very well over many years of use:

https://www.kramerleather.com/collections/pocket-gun-holster/products/pocket-gun-holster

Gater
11-02-2020, 04:23 PM

I have one, purchased after buying and having good experience with another for the G42 ( I believe after GJM gave the G42 version a thumbs up). I haven’t used it, primarily because I largely switched to the G42, and have kept using the Safariland mod 25 pocket holster I already had for the J when I have carried it. I imagine it will work well—I think the “hook” portion is exactly the same as the G42 version. I will go fish it out of the holster box...let me know if there is anything specific I can check

ETA: belatedly catching up to the date of Unisaw ‘s post.. RAM Engineer, let me know if I can help.

Unisaw
11-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Since asking the question, I have switched to an Aholster and am very happy with it.

Jason M
11-02-2020, 06:55 PM
My experience with the Kramer pocket holster is the same as Amp's.

Mark D
11-02-2020, 11:10 PM
I've tried a variety of well regarded pocket holsters for my J frame. However, since I got my Aholster Backbone several months ago I haven't touched any of the others. The Backbone is far superior to anything else I've tried. I use it daily.

https://aholster.com/pocket-backbone/

I had trouble with the website so I called him on a Saturday and left a message. He called me back that day, took my order, and gave me a discount for my trouble. Great customer service.

Poconnor
11-03-2020, 08:07 AM
I’ve been using the same Kramer pocket holster for 20 years. It still looks great . I don’t put anything else in my pocket with it. When I pocket carry, the 642 and holster go in the pocket alone.

Irelander
11-03-2020, 01:37 PM
I use the excellent PCS Blackbird pocket holster for my 642-1. Works very well with jeans.

SAWBONES
11-03-2020, 07:53 PM
I've used 'em all, for J-frame revolvers, and I do mean all, including Kramer, Alessi, Mika and several other makers' models, and the AHolster Pocket Backbone excels them all, both in concealability and accessability.
FWIW.

Gater
11-15-2020, 10:12 AM
I tracked down my Blue Force Ultracomp the other day (did I say "holster box"? I meant "boxes"... :o) for my 442 and carried for a bit and did some dry reps. It sat well in the large front pocket of the shorts I usually use with pocket carry, and worked well on staying in pocket on draw if I was mindful to keep a slight rearward angle on my stroke. I had one out of a dozen draws (probably going fast) where I came out of the pocket straight up and it was still on the gun...if that happens, it's definitely a two hand job to clear it, because it fits the gun tightly (I can flick my Safariland 25 off).

I like the Ultracomp quite a bit on my G42. I couldn't realistically pocket carry the G43, but the G42 is viable for me. That said, the J frame really rules for pocket carry.

revolvergeek
01-05-2021, 07:10 PM
I use the excellent PCS Blackbird pocket holster for my 642-1. Works very well with jeans.

Glad to read that. I have been pondering ordering one for a Walther TPH.

Leroy Suggs
01-05-2021, 08:18 PM
I've used 'em all, for J-frame revolvers, and I do mean all, including Kramer, Alessi, Mika and several other makers' models, and the AHolster Pocket Backbone excels them all, both in concealability and accessability.
FWIW.

My experience mirrors SAWBONES

RancidSumo
01-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Having tried several different versions, I also agree that the Aholster is best. The front hook is what really sets it apart IMO. It allows for a vertical draw from the front pocket with no need to pull backward or press to one side in order to leave the holster behind.

Up1911Fan
01-06-2021, 09:53 AM
The only gun I pocket carry anymore is a J Frame and I use a Kramer for it.

jd950
01-07-2021, 07:06 PM
I am a fan of pocket carry, with a holster of course. Several years back, I used a Mika holster extensively, but after a couple of years I found the band of sticky rubber that held the holster in place lost its sticky and the holster would stay on the gun when drawn. Perhaps two years or so was enough, or perhaps I could have modded the holster, but I moved on. I like pocket holsters that have some sort of tab or ledge one can use to push off the holster on draw.

spyderco monkey
01-08-2021, 12:52 AM
I discovered by accident a pretty useful setup:

https://i.ibb.co/xDTTG20/Desantis-U9-J-frame-pocket-holster.jpg

It's a J frame in the Desantis Nemesis designed for the Kahr P380 w/ Laser Grips (Size is U9)

Advantages:

-Less bulky in the pocket then the dedicated J-frame Nemesis, but still breaks up the outline

-Holds the pistol fairly loosely, so holster does not come out on the draw

-The exposed trigger allows the gun to still be fired should the holster remain stuck on the pistol from the draw (say from a very loose cargo pocket + Murphy.)

The last is to my mind the most important advantage. I was very concerned with the possibility of the holster staying with the gun on the draw - rendering it unable to be fired - and this holster makes that impossible. Obviously you cant use the sights with the holster on, but for close range work point shooting is better then no-shooting; a bad option being preferable to disaster.

BobLoblaw
01-08-2021, 08:47 AM
The exposed trigger

Isn't that the issue a pocket holster is supposed to be addressing?

spyderco monkey
01-08-2021, 09:11 AM
Isn't that the issue a pocket holster is supposed to be addressing?

For an auto, absolutely.

For a J-frame, not really. There's like a 70 year history of them being tossed into pockets sans holster without issue. With a DAO 12lb trigger with ~1" of travel , carried in a pocket by itself, I'm not concerned. Others may feel differently.

To me, the risk of the holster staying with the pistol on the draw is more of a concern.

The holster for my use is to keep the pistol oriented upright and secure in the pocket, and break up printing.

RancidSumo
01-08-2021, 09:39 AM
For an auto, absolutely.

For a J-frame, not really. There's like a 70 year history of them being tossed into pockets sans holster without issue. With a DAO 12lb trigger with ~1" of travel , carried in a pocket by itself, I'm not concerned. Others may feel differently.

To me, the risk of the holster staying with the pistol on the draw is more of a concern.

The holster for my use is to keep the pistol oriented upright and secure in the pocket, and break up printing.

I think I would just go with a better pocket holster that will stay in the pocket and not risk shooting myself.