PDA

View Full Version : FTF and offset primer hit - what is going on here?

Rappahannock
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd like advice on this situation with a Browning BDM, the 90s wunder nine that never got very far. It is an excellent pistol that has developed a failure to fire, then fires on with a second hammer blow. The shells demonstrate an oddly offset hit on the primer once it does fire.

I am assuming this is the result of a tired recoil spring not bringing the slide back into complete battery - do you think this is true? New springs are incoming from Wolff as the first step in correcting this problem and I am hoping nothing else is going on.

JBP55
02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
There is a good chance the new recoil spring will correct the issue as you said.

Nephrology
02-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Is the pistol fully in battery when this occurs? Like the above said, a new recoil spring might lock it up aggressively enough to prevent this from happening.

Bob Hostetter
02-17-2012, 11:55 PM
This is normally the result of the barrel being fit incorrectly.

Rappahannock
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
This is normally the result of the barrel being fit incorrectly.

That would be a good explanation, but the pistol operated flawlessly for some time before this started happening.

I found some original factory springs (there seems to be only once source for parts for this pistol) and will try them before going to the aftermarket.